[Today at 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 194784 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #850 on: January 16, 2013, 03:02:20 PM »
Sun Times reports that Marinelli is staying.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #851 on: January 16, 2013, 03:04:09 PM »
So they're gonna run the same ole cover-2?  As a Packer fan, I applaud that.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #852 on: January 16, 2013, 03:16:40 PM »
So they're gonna run the same ole cover-2?  As a Packer fan, I applaud that.

In the past few seasons, the Bears have moved away from the Tampa-2 (all zone) and been doing a higher and higher percentage of man with 2 deep safeties or blitzes, depending upon the game situation.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #853 on: January 16, 2013, 03:56:09 PM »
Trestman, DeCammilis, Kromer. A hell of a (delayed) start to the Emery era. Tack on improvement of last year's draft picks, plus a few solid picks this year and I really like the direction everything is going. Granted, have to get younger on defense, but I'd say the Bears could be 3-4 years from a solid super bowl contender.

My only concern is getting the offense in gear fast enough. This is the 4th? 5th? offense/coordinator for Jay Cutler. Could have some growing pains.

Lol.  Leave it to a Bears fan to think that a coaching change is going to lead to a catastrophic change in the franchise in 3-4 years.  Could it?  Sure.  But maybe they should focus on finishing out a season and making the Playoffs first.

Not to mention, unless the Bears find a new quarterback, they will not be in the Super Bowl anytime soon.  Cutler isn't the worst quarterback in the NFL, but he is not a quarterback who is going to lead a team to a Super Bowl either.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #854 on: January 16, 2013, 04:00:38 PM »
Lol.  Leave it to a Bears fan to think that a coaching change is going to lead to a catastrophic change in the franchise in 3-4 years.  Could it?  Sure.  But maybe they should focus on finishing out a season and making the Playoffs first.

Not to mention, unless the Bears find a new quarterback, they will not be in the Super Bowl anytime soon.  Cutler isn't the worst quarterback in the NFL, but he is not a quarterback who is going to lead a team to a Super Bowl either.

Not to rehash an old argument but...he came pretty damn close to going to a Super Bowl a couple years ago.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #855 on: January 16, 2013, 04:04:44 PM »
Not to rehash an old argument but...he came pretty damn close to going to a Super Bowl a couple years ago.

Until he whined his way out of a game and watched his backup play a better 2nd half than he played in the first half, and they still lost.  Even though the Bears made that game very ugly and kept it close, the Bears did not have a chance to beat the Packers.  Sure, he can make the Playoffs and win a game here or there, but he is not consistent enough to win at least 2 games in a row against the best teams in football.  They won 1 game in that Playoffs.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #856 on: January 16, 2013, 04:06:21 PM »
Until he whined his way out of a game and watched his backup play a better 2nd half than he played in the first half, and they still lost.  Even though the Bears made that game very ugly and kept it close, the Bears did not have a chance to beat the Packers.  Sure, he can make the Playoffs and win a game here or there, but he is not consistent enough to win at least 2 games in a row against the best teams in football.  They won 1 game in that Playoffs.

This post just shows how ignorant and "football stupid" you are.

Cheers.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #857 on: January 16, 2013, 04:13:37 PM »
Until he whined his way out of a game and watched his backup play a better 2nd half than he played in the first half, and they still lost. 

Just speaking to the injury... So, Cutler takes himself out of the game to prevent further injury and he's the bad guy. RG3 stays in the game and gets injured further. I can't blame either of them for their decisions, but I think Cutler's was infinitely wiser.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #858 on: January 16, 2013, 04:21:37 PM »
This post just shows how ignorant and "football stupid" you are.

Cheers.

Lol.  Yeah man.  You're right, the Bears were right there throughout the entire game.

Jay Cutler played the entire first half and quit on his team...I mean, was injured...for the entire second half.  First half yards?  A dominating 100.  They had 6 possessions in the first half.  They went like this: Punt, punt, punt, punt, intercepted pass.  Impressive!  Points in the 1st half?  0.  Jay was a solid 6/14 passing for 80 yards with 0 touchdowns, an interception, and a fumble.  2 sacks.  Outstanding 31.8 quarterback rating.  14-0 Pack at halftime.

The Packers had more rushing yards, more passing yards, more first downs, 10:00 more of possession, 1/2 of the penalty yards, less turnovers.

Like I said, the Bears did a good job of making the game ugly.  They always do against the Packers.  But if you are trying to deny that the game wasn't as close as the score suggested the game was then I guess I'll just go ahead and feel bad for you that you think you are this awesome "football genius."

I will say it again, the Bears never had a chance to beat the Packers in that game.  Sure, they were "a win away" from going to the Super Bowl, but they were never going to the Super Bowl in 2010, just like they will never go to a Super Bowl with Jay Cutler as their quarterback.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:34:09 PM by wadesworld »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #859 on: January 16, 2013, 06:13:47 PM »
Cutler tore his MCL in that game, I mean seriously, come on. "Whined his way out?". Sorry, but that is really weak. Bears deserved to lose, game was years ago, who cares now. Neither team is playing this weekend.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #860 on: January 16, 2013, 06:39:49 PM »
Cutler was clearly injured.  He didn't "quit on his team."

And the Bears made it to the 29 yard line in an attempt to tie the game in the 4th quarter.  They most certainly had a chance.  So state otherwise is dumb.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #861 on: January 16, 2013, 06:52:53 PM »

Just so I'm clear, you don't believe a new coach can take a fringe playoff team to a Super Bowl appearance in 3-4 years?

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #862 on: January 16, 2013, 08:03:45 PM »
Cutler tore his MCL in that game, I mean seriously, come on. "Whined his way out?". Sorry, but that is really weak. Bears deserved to lose, game was years ago, who cares now. Neither team is playing this weekend.

+1

This Packer fan has said this here in the past.  I do not like Cutler's demeanor, wouldn't want him as the GB QB, but I do believe he is a very tough hombre, with an amazing arm.  He needs someone to teach him (or allow him) to manage the offense.  My fear is that this new guy will do that.  After he fixes the Bears O-line.
Ludum habemus.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #863 on: January 17, 2013, 11:15:24 AM »
Bears' press conference on right now. Emery explaining hiring process and why Trestman. Interestingly, Emery also stated his draft strategy is to take the best available player, not the best available player for the system... which explains Shea McClellin.

http://www.chicagobears.com/live.html

Trestman has a hilariously bad comb-over. No wonder he's in a hat on the sidelines.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #864 on: January 17, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
+1

This Packer fan has said this here in the past.  I do not like Cutler's demeanor, wouldn't want him as the GB QB, but I do believe he is a very tough hombre, with an amazing arm.  He needs someone to teach him (or allow him) to manage the offense.  My fear is that this new guy will do that.  After he fixes the Bears O-line.

I'm not too worried since Jay is already 29, and he is due a contract after next year.  I know he likes Chicago, but he is also starting to get old... and he has taken a lot of abuse since he first started in the league.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #865 on: January 17, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
After he fixes the Bears O-line.

It may not translate, but in his first year as CFL head coach, Trestman took his team from 60+sacks/season to 20+ while increasing pass attempts. May have been players, other variables, but it at least points toward something positive such as identifying and addressing the problem (a problem this bears franchise has ignored for the better part of a decade).

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #866 on: January 17, 2013, 01:19:43 PM »
Sun Times reports that Marinelli is staying.

Sun Times was wrong. Marinelli is leaving.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #867 on: January 18, 2013, 09:38:23 AM »
Sun Times was wrong. Marinelli is leaving.

Kinda disappointed Marinelli decided to leave. I'm not surprised, as I think once Lovie was canned, that was enough for Rod too. If they aren't going to blow up the D side of the ball, I'm guessing they'll promote Koch.

However, I am not at all upset to see Darryl Drake or Bob Babich fired. I hated both of them. Both were clearly Lovie's buddies and didn't deserve the jobs they had.

Surprised that Jeremy Bates got fired. I thought Cutler would have quit had his friend left.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #868 on: January 18, 2013, 09:50:55 AM »
If you are bringing in an offensive coach, undoubtedly the offensive staff is going to leave.  The real question is do they stick with the cover-2 defense, or switch it up entirely.  If they stick with cover-2, they might bring in a guy like Raheem Morris.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #869 on: January 18, 2013, 09:53:49 AM »
Surprised that Jeremy Bates got fired. I thought Cutler would have quit had his friend left.

Why? Jay's going to make $10 million next season and is going into a contract year. There's no way in hell that he quits football, because the Bears let go of his QB coach. The media always over-blows how important these player-coach relationships are, especially when it comes to the QB position.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #870 on: January 19, 2013, 10:45:17 AM »
Matt Cavanaugh? Awesome. Nothing like bringing back the brilliant mind responsible for the development of Mark Sanchez... That's the first really disappointing thing I've heard re: the regime change. Not to mention his stint as Bears OC.

I actually kinda like the Mel Tucker hire. He's always had very good (top 10) defenses. Does anyone know if he runs a cover 2 scheme?

Trestman also added 2 guys he worked with in Montreal - Andy Bischoff (TE coach) and Michael Sinclair (asst. DL coach).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 10:52:11 AM by jesmu84 »

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #871 on: January 19, 2013, 01:33:09 PM »
I think mel tucker is a great pick up.  I have been a jaguar season ticket holder for a couple years and felt like he never got enough credit for a solid D.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

🏀

• All American
« Reply #872 on: January 19, 2013, 01:38:37 PM »
I wish the Packers would have taken a looked at Mel Tucker.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #873 on: January 19, 2013, 02:29:18 PM »
Looks like they hired DeCamillis away from the Cowboys too.  That is a fine replacement for Toub.

Most Cowboys fans are happy to see him leave.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #874 on: January 19, 2013, 02:33:18 PM »

See the Harbaugh/Schwartz handshake.  Not many NFL coaches would a) get that fired up over a midseason win that he bumps/disrespects the opposing coach during a postgame handshake and b) respond how Schwartz did to it.  They're both pricks.

Also, what does McCarthy and Crean being close have to do with anything?  And are they even close, or does Crean just think/pretend they're close?  Even if they are, you don't have any friends with different personalities than yours?  That must be boring.

Yup, and I'd still love to have him as a football coach guiding my team. He get his teams to play.  What he did at Stanford was nothing short of amazing.  What he's done at SF has been fantastic.

Many coaches are pricks...Kevin O'Neill, Tom Crean, many fans would say Buzz Williams (fans that aren't our fans but look at him from afar...just like you are doing with Harbaugh).