[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Suck it Cuse & Pitt  (Read 5646 times)

Wade for President

• All American
Suck it Cuse & Pitt
« on: September 01, 2012, 10:42:15 PM »
Sooooo great to see both teams lose their home openers.  Youngstown St?  Really Pitt?!?

Here's to hoping they lose every game this year.

tower912

• All American
Re: Suck it Cuse & Pitt
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 07:00:01 AM »
Karma.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 10:15:14 AM »
Pitt paid Youngstown State $400,000 today...and lost by 14.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 10:16:26 AM »
can't wait until their basketball teams lose by 40 at UNC and Duke every year.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 10:45:37 AM »

40? Come on.

It's not like they're trash.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 03:21:55 PM »
Didn't we leave C-USA for more money, and more national recognition? Why should we be so angry at them? The original members have every right to be but we haven't even been in the conference for 10 yrs...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 03:55:09 PM »
Didn't we leave C-USA for more money, and more national recognition? Why should we be so angry at them? The original members have every right to be but we haven't even been in the conference for 10 yrs...

The difference between CUSA and the Big East was stark, far more do then the Big East and ACC. And we didn't go on record casting stones at Boston College like the Pitt and Syracuse management had before backstabbing the league. We also didn't tank a massive deal between our old league and ESPN before bolting. Not at all an even comparison.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 05:43:29 PM »
40? Come on.

It's not like they're trash.

You're right. They'll probably only lose by 20. But I can hope for 40.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 07:14:32 PM »
The difference between CUSA and the Big East was stark, far more do then the Big East and ACC. And we didn't go on record casting stones at Boston College like the Pitt and Syracuse management had before backstabbing the league. We also didn't tank a massive deal between our old league and ESPN before bolting. Not at all an even comparison.

Well there was no one to cast stones at...and no you didn't but we still got a deal. Plain and simple MU left CUSA for $$$ and national recognition. Syracuse, WVU, and Pitt did the same.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 07:32:59 PM »
Well there was no one to cast stones at...and no you didn't but we still got a deal. Plain and simple MU left CUSA for $$$ and national recognition. Syracuse, WVU, and Pitt did the same.

That's like saying Sammy Sosa was a home run hitter just like Ken Griffey Junior. Doesn't mean there wasn't a big difference in how they went about accomplishing that.

OnWisconsin

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 12:43:06 AM »

Syracuse lost 3 games last year, and Pitt went to 10 straight NCAA tournaments prior to last season...

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 07:11:44 AM »
Syracuse lost 3 games last year, and Pitt went to 10 straight NCAA tournaments prior to last season...

They are going to be in the Carolina conference now.  I am confident that their basketball fortunes will take a tumble as a result of this move.  No more regular top 10 rankings, conference championships, etc.  This move was made for football reasons with little regard to basketball.  Boston College wasn't at their level, but they have disappeared from the national landscape in both basketball and football since they moved.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 07:44:53 AM »
They are going to be in the Carolina conference now.  I am confident that their basketball fortunes will take a tumble as a result of this move.  No more regular top 10 rankings, conference championships, etc.  This move was made for football reasons with little regard to basketball.  Boston College wasn't at their level, but they have disappeared from the national landscape in both basketball and football since they moved.

See this logic makes no sense to me.  On this very board we proclaim that the BE is the best basketball conference, but now when Syracuse and Pitt drop out and join the ACC, they are suddenly going to suck?  Even though they are supposedly going to a weaker conference?

And I don't thin the BC comparison holds much water.  Boston College initially did just fine in the ACC, both in football and basketball.  They went to two ACC Championship Games in football and one in basketball. 

The problem is that their athletic department has been completely mismanaged - first in firing Jeff Jagodzinski after two ACCCGs in two years, and replacing him with Frank Spaziani...who kind of sucks.  And then they fired Al Skinner after one bad year and replaced him with Steve Donahue...who looks to be in over his head.  Both of these decisions lay at the feet of Gene DiFilippo.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 08:28:24 AM »

See this logic makes no sense to me.  On this very board we proclaim that the BE is the best basketball conference, but now when Syracuse and Pitt drop out and join the ACC, they are suddenly going to suck? 

Well, I didn't say "suck".  I said their fortunes would tumble.  Syracuse and Pitt were two of the marquis schools in the Big East.  If you're going to play in the ACC, I think Duke and UNC are the schools you look at first.  I certainly could be wrong, I know, but if I could bet on such things I'd feel pretty comfortable wagering that Pitt and Cuse will not be as good as they regularly are now in five years.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 09:20:38 AM »
Well, I didn't say "suck".  I said their fortunes would tumble.  SyracuseMARQUETTE and Pitt LOUISVILLE were two of the marquis schools in the Big East CONFERENCE USA.  If you're going to play in the ACC BIG EAST, I think Duke GEORGETOWN and UNCSYRACUSE are the schools you look at first.  I certainly could be wrong, I know, but if I could bet on such things I'd feel pretty comfortable wagering that Pitt MARQUETTE and Cuse LOUISVILLE will not be as good as they regularly are now in five years.

FIXED TO REFLECT MEMPHIS VIEW IN 2005

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 09:26:57 AM »
Well, I didn't say "suck".  I said their fortunes would tumble.  Syracuse and Pitt were two of the marquis schools in the Big East.  If you're going to play in the ACC, I think Duke and UNC are the schools you look at first.  I certainly could be wrong, I know, but if I could bet on such things I'd feel pretty comfortable wagering that Pitt and Cuse will not be as good as they regularly are now in five years.

So are you saying that their recruiting is going to drop off now that they aren't in the Big East?  Because honestly, until Boeheim retires, I don't see Syracuse's recruiting dropping off.  And Dixon has never put together huge recruiting classes anyway.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 09:50:53 AM »
FIXED TO REFLECT MEMPHIS VIEW IN 2005

Apples to oranges comparison.  First off, Cincinnati (not Louisville or Marquette) was the marquis program in CUSA.  They won the conference just about every season.  Memphis was playing in that crappy division where their only competition was the years UAB had a good team.  CUSA is nowhere close to what the Big East is now.  For MU it was a clear upward movement in conference and more importantly, national exposure, TV visibility, etc.  Syracuse won't get that.   Syracuse will actually be getting less basketball exposure in the Northeast as a result of this move.  And while the Big East move did work out well for Louisville and Marquette, it isn't roses for the other three, as Cincinnati was a regular top 10 team in CUSA and now just fights to get in the tournament every year, and USF and DePaul aren't exactly lighting it up.  I know there are other factors in play as to why those schools haven't done so well.

Bottom line is Marquette leaving for the Big East was a basketball decision.  I think Pitt and Cuse privately would agree that their basketball programs would have been better off remaining in the Big East, but the move to the ACC was a football decision.  We'll see how it turns out.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 10:00:25 AM »
...the move to the ACC was a football decision.  We'll see how it turns out.

100% correct.

College football is driving the bus. Basketball is fun and all, but even mediocre football programs (in major conferences) make more money than most basketball teams.

I love the Big East and all, but given the uncertainty, I don't blame a school for leaving. I don't like it, but I can't blame them.

The Big East was the right move for MU. The ACC is probably the right move for Cuse and Pitt.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 10:12:35 AM »
I agree with CT Warrior. Syracuse was THE premier basketball program in the Big East. When recruits "dreamed" of playing in the Big East, a disproportionate amount of those kids dreamed of Syracuse. Will a disproportionate amount of the kids who dream of the ACC put Syracuse ahead of or on a par with UNC and Duke? I don't think so. The "brand" of the Big East was important to Syracuse and Pitt and it was the perfect geographical fit. Just don't think they'll find things as friendly in what's basically a southern conference. I think the initial excitement will give way to disappointment.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 10:17:33 AM »
I think the initial excitement will give way to disappointment.

Until they cash that ACC check.

I understand fans love traditional conferences and all, but this is about $.

$.

$.

$.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 11:13:03 AM »
And Dixon has never put together huge recruiting classes anyway.

Popular thought, but simply not true. Dejuan Blair (2007), Dante Taylor (2009), Khem Birch (2011),and Steven Adams (2012) we're all highly-sought 5-star recruits. Dixon has brought in 9 RSCI top-100 players since 2007, an average of 1.5 per year, and numerous other recruits were top-100 in at least a few services. They may not be Syracuse, UNC, or Duke, but Dixon is often underrated as a recruiter.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 11:17:04 AM »
Popular thought, but simply not true. Dejuan Blair (2007), Dante Taylor (2009), Khem Birch (2011),and Steven Adams (2012) we're all highly-sought 5-star recruits. Dixon has brought in 9 RSCI top-100 players since 2007, an average of 1.5 per year, and numerous other recruits were top-100 in at least a few services. They may not be Syracuse, UNC, or Duke, but Dixon is often underrated as a recruiter.

They have never put together a Scout Top 10 class....at least since 2005.  That's all I was saying.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 11:23:25 AM »
I agree with CT Warrior. Syracuse was THE premier basketball program in the Big East. When recruits "dreamed" of playing in the Big East, a disproportionate amount of those kids dreamed of Syracuse. Will a disproportionate amount of the kids who dream of the ACC put Syracuse ahead of or on a par with UNC and Duke? I don't think so. The "brand" of the Big East was important to Syracuse and Pitt and it was the perfect geographical fit. Just don't think they'll find things as friendly in what's basically a southern conference. I think the initial excitement will give way to disappointment.

+1  brand, and geography absolutely

Ask everybody at Boston College how they're enjoying their laughingstock/doormat status in ACC sports.  And how not easy it is to get to road games. 

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 01:34:26 PM »
Boeheim and Dixon could both be gone in a few years, Boeheim because of age and Dixon because that program can go nowhere but down and he won't be able to sell kids on the idea of playing in MSG on the biggest stage in the country.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 02:04:16 PM »
+1  brand, and geography absolutely

Ask everybody at Boston College how they're enjoying their laughingstock/doormat status in ACC sports.  And how not easy it is to get to road games. 

Laughingstock or no, it's about $.

Schools are chasing it. Television is providing it. It's created a bit of a bubble (IMO), and it's going to equalize in the next 5 years (when more TV contracts come up).

Content providers and advertisers are on the verge of an industry shift. Sooner or later, the traditional forms of distributing content are going to go away.

How this effects the $ being thrown at college athletics is the million dollar question.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 02:16:21 PM »
I fully agree with the title of this thread! ;D

Especially when the new BE deal is on par with the ACC's deal it's going to be especially sweet.

Cuse will decline without boeheim. And Pitt is a complete fish out of water.

Both their Football teams are terrible. It' going to be great when Florida State and Clemson jump ship because of the terrible ACC football.

Cuse and Pitt will both lose quite a bit from the move to the ACC. They will play second fiddle to Duke and UNC. It's already happened as Georgetown, Duke, and UNC and UConn were selected for that Nike tournament in 3029.(J/k it's only 5 years from now). If Cuse was still in the BE it'd likely be Cuse and Georgetown in that tournament.