collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: US - Mexico Soccer Game  (Read 4818 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: US - Mexico Soccer Game
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 12:30:40 PM »
It's mostly like an exhibition game.  It doesn't count for anything (eg, World Cup qualification) but is important because it allows national teams to get experience playing with one another before the players head back to Europe for leagues that start this weekend.  Later this fall, I believe there are two off weekends in Euro Leagues to allow for four World Cup qualification games...one in Sept and the other in Oct.

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 01:40:14 PM »
No, I'm not. They won a "friendly" (aka, exhibition, aka meaningless game) over the 18th ranked team in the world last night. They're ranked 36th in the world behind the likes of world soccer powerhouse Bosnia. They failed to qualify for the Olympics. USA men's soccer is and will continue to be a joke.

You say friendlies are meaningless and then you cite their world ranking which takes into account friendly matches.  There's been a lot of criticism about the world rankings because of how experts view teams compared to where they are in the rankings.  They've made it to the World Cup 6 straight times and have made it past the group stage in 3 of the last 5.  Compare that to the 60 years before 1990 and how they made the World Cup only 3 times.  In my mind, that's no joke and shows the improvements they're making.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 01:42:07 PM »
You say friendlies are meaningless and then you cite their world ranking which takes into account friendly matches.  There's been a lot of criticism about the world rankings because of how experts view teams compared to where they are in the rankings.  They've made it to the World Cup 6 straight times and have made it past the group stage in 3 of the last 5.  Compare that to the 60 years before 1990 and how they made the World Cup only 3 times.  In my mind, that's no joke and shows the improvements they're making.

exactly.  While it may be an exhibition match, ask the Mexican players and fans if they think it doesn't matter.

And now something a bit more light hearted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HhA2OQaLt8&feature=player_embedded

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 07:10:46 AM »
What is a "friendly" the equivalent to in other sports? I don't mean this sarcastically or anything. I'm not a soccer fan so I'm genuinely curious. Is it like a big non-conference game for Marquette bball? Is it like a regular season NFL game?

I really don't think there's any good comparison. I suppose you could consider it a non-conference game, that's probably closest. But there are degrees of friendlies. Are both sides at full strength, is it just a run-out for youngsters, how big a rivalry is the match...they do matter, as indicated by their impact on the FIFA rankings. Honestly, USA/Mexico is a game that always matters, no matter the level, no matter the location, no matter the participants. This game is always a grudge match. And winning on Mexican soil for the first time in 75 years, for the first time in 25 appearances at the Azteca, and becoming only the 9th team in history to beat Mexico there, yes, it certainly matters.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 09:17:16 AM »
This is a HUGE deal, I agree and anyone who thinks these "friendlies" are just that hasn't seen the bags of urine and batteries thrown at our players there and elsewhere in south america.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 09:48:38 AM »
This is a HUGE deal, I agree and anyone who thinks these "friendlies" are just that hasn't seen the bags of urine and batteries thrown at our players there and elsewhere in south america.

Whenever we play at Azteca, I have the video of Donovan taking a corner surrounded by police in riot gear holding up shields to protect him from the raining projectiles.  Fans at that stadium are just animals.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 04:57:17 PM »
This was an outstanding win, no doubt about it. If nothing else, simply winning at Azteca was huge in itself.  Take into account too that the US team brought the "B" squad and Mexico was nearly at "A" level, and it's even more impressive. Friendly or not, the Mexican players and fans were expecting to win this.

At halftime, I said I was glad it was still 0-0 and that we didn't have a lead, because I think we'd have lost the game if we had been up 1-0 at that point. The perceived gap right now is very real. Mexico is the better side and certainly has the brighter future over the next 4-8 years. What we still need is one legitimate goal-scoring forward and central and attacking mids that can hold the ball. I don't have much hope for the former, but maybe Brek Shea can become one of the latter (though he needs consistency).

If we're talking about present team and 2014 players (not the distant future), Brek is definitely going to be around. Add in M. Bradley, Dempsey, Altidore (on a tear in club right now) and possibly Holden and you've got a ton more talent in the midfield/attacking roles. I still am flummoxed why Klinsman keeps trotting out the likes of Danny Williams, Jose Torres, Beasley or Zusi and won't give the incredibly creative and willing F. Adu a shot.  I think Boyd is also going to be a great player going forward. Also feels so unfortunate that Herculez Gomez is old - he seems to have just realized his potential.