Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Football: NBC Sports' Reported Power Play Will Be a Positive for League  (Read 15817 times)

79Warrior

• All American
#1 -- Because, believe it or not, ESPN is lacking on programming.  They have seven networks, of which three (ESPN, 2 & U) show "first-run" programming.  That equates to 210 hours, per week, of live sports inventory just to fill those three networks' schedules.  In relative terms, that's 70 football games or 105 basketball games per week... that kind of inventory doesn't exist in ESPN's contracts.  During peak programming periods (Saturday afternoons), there's enough overflow to allow for an ABC broadcast or two, but not on any other day of the week.

#2 -- Again... what is the lineup on any given Saturday or Sunday on NBC?  What is it on the sub-channels?  College football/basketball is going to draw better than most weekend daytime programming on any network station, certainly in greater proportion than the reduction of their share of advertising revenue during national broadcasts... that's why ABC, NBC, and CBS all air college sports on the weekends.

We can argue this to death. I worked at ABC Sports for 20 years. College Football on ABC is mainly regional coverage. We had as many as 6 games on at a time around the country, region by region. No one west of the Missippi is going to tune in to a St Johns Georgetown game. The ratings would be abysmal. Needless to say, theses games will be on Versus, not NBC saturday or Sunday afternoon. The affiliates don't want it. Football gets a decent number, basketball is about a 1.0. Dismal.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
I loved ABC Sports. I wish it would come back, but now that is changing as well.

I think NBC Sports would have one BE basketball per weekend, that's about it.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 06:27:47 PM by mupanther »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
Judgements on what is best for the long term aside, I think NBC is making a real push to legitimize their sports offerings. Their online offerings for the Olympics and Sunday Football are pretty good, and much more revolutionary than ESPN3. (No, I don't see myself ever using the multiple camera angles feature of SNF, but at least they're trying to push the boundaries a little bit).

And, assuming they promote the hell out of NBC Sports at every turn, that could mean Marquette Basketball promos during nationally-televised events like Sunday Night Football, PGA Championships and the Superbowl.

Ultimately, if the Big East is no longer on ESPN, it places the emphasis on the teams to make sure they stay in the conversation. ESPN isn't going to ignore successful college basketball teams on other networks anymore than they ignore the Packers just because they play mostly on FOX (well, maybe slightly more, but you get what I mean).
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

bilsu

• All American
Right... Because a cable network that doesnt even reach 60% of households in this country is "the place to be" compared to the network that is in 99% of U.S. households right now.

I wonder how relevant this statistic is? I would think a hugh percentage of fans who watch sports have cable so they can get ESPN. While 99% of the households have NBC a large number of them will not watch college football and even a larger number will not watch Big East football.

79Warrior

• All American
I loved ABC Sports. I wish it would come back, but now that is changing as well.

I think NBC Sports would have one BE basketball per weekend, that's about it.

That is about right. And Yes, ABC was terrific in the 70's and 80's. ESPN was a game changer.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Could this deal be expanded to include NBC radio too?  Can't wait to see the Badger fallout with TMJ affiliated with NBC.  That might be worth the switch just to watch that play out.

4everwarriors

• All American
See, this is why we need Chicos back so he can gives us the skinny on all this kinda s h i t and decipher the whole mess.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Equalizer

• All American
Could this deal be expanded to include NBC radio too?  Can't wait to see the Badger fallout with TMJ affiliated with NBC.  That might be worth the switch just to watch that play out.

Woud be a disaster for MU.

First, WTMJ isn't going to give up the Badgers.  That programming is far too lucrative. 

Second, they're going to continue to make the Badgers a priorty over any national NBC feed.

Third, if WTMJ owns the rights for any NBC produced content (e.g. national MU games on the NBC network), they would either preempt the national broadcast (MU) for the local team (Badgers).  Or they broadcast MU game on tape-delay starting at 10:30 following Badger post-game coverage.

I think I'd rather not see the Badger fallout in that scenario.

GGGG

• All American
Furthermore, I don't think WTMJ AM is affiliated with any network.

Nukem2

• All American
Radio rights are separate from video rights.  MU has a contract with 540AM independent of any conference  radio rights ( if any ).  That 540AM is afiliated with ESPN is incidental... 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Thanks to all the fact checkers...however, my question was a theoretical...what if NBC signed an all network deal with the BE...including the mothership, cable, CSN, digital, interactive and radio?  A BE game of the week or a tilt to local BE coverage imposed from corporate?  I understand that local broadcast deals take precedence but that conflict means potentially more exposure and conflict, even on sports talk...perhaps even more access to MU.  This is the potential conflict I should have laid out in more  detail for discussion as it is a possible although granted improbable, play, as basically TMJ ignores MU and the BE today.

Litehouse

• All American
I don't think 620am has any affiliation with NBC.  In fact, they used to be an ABC news radio affiliate.  I have no idea if the still are, haven't listened to them much in the last few years outside of Brewers games.