Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Lakers Going After Hurley by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 11:10:49 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 10:48:42 PM]

2024-25 Roster by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[June 08, 2024, 07:42:23 PM]

Incoming freshmen by MuMark
[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[June 08, 2024, 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2012-13 Big East Power Rankings  (Read 15403 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: 2012-13 Big East Power Rankings
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 12:05:40 PM »
Junior is the key to the team. He's the engine that runs it. If he goes, so does MU.

Wilson is the leader. He will be the alpha dog and encourage everyone to do better.

Davante is the gritty soul. It's not pretty but it's "junkyardly" fantastic.

Vander is the heart. All of the emotion of this team will be based on how he handles games and tough situations.

It truly can be a breakout year for him. Probably not shooting-wise but dominating both ends of the floor by locking down and drawing defensive fouls.
SS Marquette

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 12:14:09 PM »
This will be a totally different team. Our scoring will come from the frontline, where we have the potential to have four double figure scorers (Gardner, Wilson, Lockett and Taylor). At this point I am assuming Mayo is gone or at least so far behind the 8 ball, he will not contribute in November anyways. Due to injuries Anderson and Otule effectiveness for our November 9 game schedule is also questionable. I believe Blue will start at the two and he may actually excel there. I think he is more suited for playing the two than the three. I believe it will be easier for him to drive and create from the two ( like McNeal, who did not have a consistant three point shot until his senior year). He also will have an easier time defensively. Our starting guards and D. Wilson are not three point shooters, but Wilson, Lockett, Taylor and even Gardner can shoot the three so it will be interesting how teams try to defend us. You will see Thomas, if the other team puts to much emphasis on packing in the lane. Weaker outside shooting can be minimized by being a strong offensive rebounding team and offensive rebounding might be the key to this being a great team.

If you are right, they are going to be very good this year. I just don't see a scenario where Steve Taylor gets 10pts per game, but maybe I'm being a hater.

The pessimist in me doubts that MU can be efficient enough from the outside to prevent teams from packing it in and negating MU's quickness and creating off of "paint touches".

Also, Davante Gardner has never made a 3pter in a college game. I know we have seen him in scrimmages and whatnot, but I'm just not sure that Buzz is ever going to let him/want him shooting them.

With all of this said, if every guard shoots a little better (maybe 30+% from 3?), and if Jake Thomas/Mayo can provide enough 3pt shooting to break up zones, I think MU will be very good. The players upfront are good and will have room to work if teams can't zone them and consistently double the post.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 12:16:10 PM by Guns n Ammo »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 01:07:27 PM »
This will be a totally different team. Our scoring will come from the frontline, where we have the potential to have four double figure scorers (Gardner, Wilson, Lockett and Taylor). At this point I am assuming Mayo is gone or at least so far behind the 8 ball, he will not contribute in November anyways. Due to injuries Anderson and Otule effectiveness for our November 9 game schedule is also questionable. I believe Blue will start at the two and he may actually excel there. I think he is more suited for playing the two than the three. I believe it will be easier for him to drive and create from the two ( like McNeal, who did not have a consistant three point shot until his senior year). He also will have an easier time defensively. Our starting guards and D. Wilson are not three point shooters, but Wilson, Lockett, Taylor and even Gardner can shoot the three so it will be interesting how teams try to defend us. You will see Thomas, if the other team puts to much emphasis on packing in the lane. Weaker outside shooting can be minimized by being a strong offensive rebounding team and offensive rebounding might be the key to this being a great team.

For the umpteeth time...there is no difference in this offense between a two and a three.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 01:46:44 PM »

For the umpteeth time...there is no difference in this offense between a two and a three.

You are right, but if Vander is playing alongside a bigger Trent Lockett rather than a smaller DJO it could change his matchups - that could certainly work to his benefit.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 01:48:43 PM »
You are right, but if Vander is playing alongside a bigger Trent Lockett rather than a smaller DJO it could change his matchups - that could certainly work to his benefit.

He is going to be playing alongside Mayo and Lockett for most of next season....pretty much in a regular rotation.  Occasionally both if he is playing the point.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2012, 02:21:34 PM »

I disagree. When McNeal broke his hand Matthews moved to the two (Crean's offense). He was noticeably better offensively at the two vs the three. Of course you can argue he got more touches, since McNeal was not in the game. However, I believe you get a different path and view of the basket from the two spot vs the three. Of course with Buzz's lineup being switchable you can end up being anywhere on the offensive end or defensive end. In MU's history the great drivers were guards (Meminger, Butch Lee, Wade, McNeal, etc.)  I sure there were, but off hand I do not remember any threes being great drivers (Matthews and Butler did have a lot of success taking the ball to the basket in Buzz's offense, but they are bigger than Blue). Most of Blues' drives last year came off of fast breaks. I could be wrong, but I am predicting the two spot will be good for him and we will be seeing him take the ball to the hoop more. Of course he still has to make it. Looking at last year's team DJO from the two had more opportunities to drive than Blue did from the three. Of course you can argue that was the result of DJO being the better player. On defense Blue playing the two will have more opportunity to fast break versus when he played the three. There are not going to be many players that can catch Blue if gets out on the fast break versus having to try to rebound from the three. Only time will tell, but I believe playing the two will be a huge positive for Blue. Even though Buzz uses a motion offense, how many times did DJO's drive start form the three spot? It seems to me that most of DJO's drives started from around the free throw  line and that is where you will Blue's drives start from
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:26:49 PM by bilsu »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »
I actually like Vander at PG when they run a 1-4 flat set. I think he's tough to guard that far away from the hoop without defensive help.

The problem is he gets a full head of steam from up there and has trouble with speed/body control when he beats his man. This is something Matthews, McNeal, DJO, Wade, Jimmy were all very good at. I'm hoping with some more strength and experience Vander can get a little more under control as he gets closer to the hoop.

As far as the difference between 2 and 3, it's negligible... but in theory, could lead to some different match-ups on each end of the floor.

JD

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2012, 03:47:41 PM »

His defense is better than I thought.

If that's the case i hope you think his defense is atrocious.  Not "hating" but Junior has probably the least impact on the floor than anybody on defense.  I'd even put De' De' ahead of him.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2012, 03:51:08 PM »
I disagree. When McNeal broke his hand Matthews moved to the two (Crean's offense). He was noticeably better offensively at the two vs the three. Of course you can argue he got more touches, since McNeal was not in the game. However, I believe you get a different path and view of the basket from the two spot vs the three. Of course with Buzz's lineup being switchable you can end up being anywhere on the offensive end or defensive end. In MU's history the great drivers were guards (Meminger, Butch Lee, Wade, McNeal, etc.)  I sure there were, but off hand I do not remember any threes being great drivers (Matthews and Butler did have a lot of success taking the ball to the basket in Buzz's offense, but they are bigger than Blue). Most of Blues' drives last year came off of fast breaks. I could be wrong, but I am predicting the two spot will be good for him and we will be seeing him take the ball to the hoop more. Of course he still has to make it. Looking at last year's team DJO from the two had more opportunities to drive than Blue did from the three. Of course you can argue that was the result of DJO being the better player. On defense Blue playing the two will have more opportunity to fast break versus when he played the three. There are not going to be many players that can catch Blue if gets out on the fast break versus having to try to rebound from the three. Only time will tell, but I believe playing the two will be a huge positive for Blue. Even though Buzz uses a motion offense, how many times did DJO's drive start form the three spot? It seems to me that most of DJO's drives started from around the free throw  line and that is where you will Blue's drives start from

You can disagree all you want, but if you think that there is a "2" or a "3" in this offense and that those roles are different, you are wrong.  I don't know how else I can say it.  You do not "view the basket" any differently because of the rotations you make within the offense.

Now you can "start" the set by looking at the basket differently, but it is often inconsistent.  It depends on who is in the right place when it begins.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 03:57:59 PM »
The point about improving his transition offense is valid though, theoretically guarding a smaller perimeter orientated guy on D could lead to more break outs and physical finishes at the rim without a bigger guy in the way

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2012, 03:58:08 PM »
If that's the case i hope you think his defense is atrocious.  Not "hating" but Junior has probably the least impact on the floor than anybody on defense.  I'd even put De' De' ahead of him.

Well, I expected the worst, and what I saw (eye test) was average and he did have some steals (1.1 per game) and 2.1reb per game for a PG playing 28min. isn't a huge liability.

Junior's ability to defend is down on my list of priorities.

DeDe, when individual challenged in the post isn't too bad, but he's not a great help defender, and he doesn't recover well on the P&R. His ability to rotate quickly/correctly will probably have a big impact on his minutes.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 04:04:40 PM »
The point about improving his transition offense is valid though, theoretically guarding a smaller perimeter orientated guy on D could lead to more break outs and physical finishes at the rim without a bigger guy in the way

This was the point I was trying to make. Last year he was almost always our biggest 2/3. With Lockett that won't be the case this year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2012, 04:09:15 PM »

This was the point I was trying to make. Last year he was almost always our biggest 2/3. With Lockett that won't be the case this year.

But that's different.  I was speaking specifically about the offense.  But I do think you are correct about defense.  (Unless Mayo is subbing for Lockett.)

I personally think that Blue should be guarding more point guards.  I thought, for instance, that he should have been stuck on Siva when Junior couldn't keep him out of the lane in the BET.  Instead Blue was standing in the corner guarding Kyle Kuric. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2012, 04:13:46 PM »

Vander was our 2nd best rebounder last year. He can't finish at the rim anyway, so even if he gets out and gets to the rim on the break he doesn't finish the play. Is much rather have him rebounding the ball and giving the outlet pass to Junior, where Junior is at his best (attacking the rim in transition) than give up an offensive rebound while Vander tries to get out on the break.

But that's different.  I was speaking specifically about the offense.  But I do think you are correct about defense.  (Unless Mayo is subbing for Lockett.)

I personally think that Blue should be guarding more point guards.  I thought, for instance, that he should have been stuck on Siva when Junior couldn't keep him out of the lane in the BET.  Instead Blue was standing in the corner guarding Kyle Kuric. 

I think if Vander changes his mindset from being a defender who jumps the passing lanes to a defender who shuts down 1 player on the other team this would be great. There is no doubt Vander could be a lock down on-ball defender, but he takes too many off ball risks to do that at this point.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2012, 04:20:30 PM »
Junior is the key to the team. He's the engine that runs it. If he goes, so does MU.

Wilson is the leader. He will be the alpha dog and encourage everyone to do better.

Davante is the gritty soul. It's not pretty but it's "junkyardly" fantastic.

Vander is the heart. All of the emotion of this team will be based on how he handles games and tough situations.

It truly can be a breakout year for him. Probably not shooting-wise but dominating both ends of the floor by locking down and drawing defensive fouls.

Don't forget about Otule.  He is the oracle who can predicts great success... or failure... perhaps mediocrity... possibly modest success.  It's kind of hard to tell since his premonitions are only half as good.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2012, 04:21:08 PM »
Well I think we can all agree that Vander will be a key to having a successful season.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2012, 04:25:49 PM »
Vander was our 2nd best rebounder last year. He can't finish at the rim anyway, so even if he gets out and gets to the rim on the break he doesn't finish the play. Is much rather have him rebounding the ball and giving the outlet pass to Junior, where Junior is at his best (attacking the rim in transition) than give up an offensive rebound while Vander tries to get out on the break.

I think if Vander changes his mindset from being a defender who jumps the passing lanes to a defender who shuts down 1 player on the other team this would be great. There is no doubt Vander could be a lock down on-ball defender, but he takes too many off ball risks to do that at this point.

If you are asking me who will make a better decision on the break, it's Junior.

If you are asking me who can actually get the ball in the hoop, I still think it's Vander. I know he clunked a lot of lay-ups, but Junior didn't exactly finish a lot of fast breaks. He's good pretty good in the lane when he beats his man, but I don't know if he is great at getting out and finishing on the break.

Vander had a lot of close calls last year. If he can be slightly more under control, a lot of those go in. McNeal was out of control his first 2 years as well, but once he learned to slow down a tiny bit, his game really blossomed.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2012, 05:16:47 PM »
Well I think we can all agree that Vander will be a key to having a successful season.

+100000000

Absolutely

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2012, 07:45:58 PM »
I think Junior is going to have a big year, too. Other than Siva, are there any Big East point guards better than Junior?

1. Siva
2. Council
3. Cadougan

..in my book.

Okay

Eric Atkins is also better. IMO

I could see that.

Anthony Collins.

What are you, nuts?  Have you seen his shot?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:48:05 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.