[Today at 07:46:49 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Coach K: Great Coach but SOOOO Insufferable  (Read 2909 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Coach K: Great Coach but SOOOO Insufferable
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 09:12:25 AM »
https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1222534580911165440?s=20

Imagine his wrath at MU and the voice he carries when MU fires Wojo like you want MU to do.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 10:02:08 AM »
Was the chant really just "Jeff Capel, sit with us" ?  That's actually pretty tame and funny and creative.  This seems like some pretty bad confirmation bias vs his own fans on Coach K's part  :o

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 10:10:02 AM »
Was the chant really just "Jeff Capel, sit with us" ?  That's actually pretty tame and funny and creative.  This seems like some pretty bad confirmation bias vs his own fans on Coach K's part  :o

I think Coach K apologized after for misunderstanding. Not a great look for K. It sounds like a chant they use for recruits and former players.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 10:24:41 AM »

Imagine his wrath at MU and the voice he carries when MU fires Wojo like you want MU to do.

Did Coach K make life a living hell for Michigan and Stanford for firing former players/assistants? I hope we aren’t making decisions based solely on Coach K’s opinion.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 10:48:43 AM »
K chewed Duke fans butts for being impatient with freshmen a year ago.     On the other hand, Duke fans sitting around me at the Duke-MSU game thought that K should retire as the game has passed him by and K lost the game by not feeding Zion on every single possession.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 11:06:01 AM »
I just heard some of the press conference on Sirius XM. No clue what Coach K point was. He looks a bit crazy.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 12:43:29 PM »

The administration/BoT will have many things in mind if it ever gets to the point where they decide to fire Wojo.

If consideration of the potential opinion of his former boss enters the discussion at any point, they should all be fired along with him.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 01:17:47 PM »
I just heard some of the press conference on Sirius XM. No clue what Coach K point was. He looks a bit crazy.

From what I gathered on Sportscenter last night, he thought they were taunting Capel.

As for Coach K getting involved in Wojo is fired, I doubt it would happen other than saying something like he's "disappointed." He's had multiple former players/assistants hired and fired already (Henderson, Snyder, Dawkins, Amaker) and I do not remember him getting involved. Wojo will just end up back on the Duke staff should it happen.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 03:41:37 PM »
If this were MU, he wouldn't have dared yell at the best student section in the country

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 02:41:36 PM »
This is one of my favorite basketball stories of the year so far.  The looks on the faces of the students is priceless.
As a Bulls fan, I really want to see Jim Boylen attempt this technique, and then see what he gets hit with first, a hot dog or nachos.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 03:06:18 PM »
Coach K blamed his fragile emotional state due to Kobe’s death for his outburst. Not sure I buy that one.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 03:14:58 PM »
This may have a more lasting effect on the MU program than whether Wojo fouled while up 3 or knew the score.   If this is the beginning of the end for K...
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 04:00:21 PM »
Coach K blamed his fragile emotional state due to Kobe’s death for his outburst. Not sure I buy that one.
I think he was just an old confused guy that misunderstood his fans' chants and thought they were taunting one of their own.  It happens.  Reminds me of that time Buzz misunderstood something McIlvaine said and went off on him for no good reason.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 04:02:59 PM »
I know that's why I've been late for work every day this week.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 04:06:26 PM »
I don’t know why people would question K having a tough time with/grieving the loss of Kobe. He coached him on the Olympic team and had a close personal relationship with him. Was it the reason he misunderstood the students’ chant? I don’t know. Would be pretty crappy if Coach K to use the death of someone as an excuse for mishandling a situation, but I suppose it’s possible.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2020, 05:00:16 PM »
I don’t know why people would question K having a tough time with/grieving the loss of Kobe. He coached him on the Olympic team and had a close personal relationship with him. Was it the reason he misunderstood the students’ chant? I don’t know. Would be pretty crappy if Coach K to use the death of someone as an excuse for mishandling a situation, but I suppose it’s possible.

He uses his back as an excuse to leave the team when they are below their normal performance level, so would this be surprising?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2020, 05:08:03 PM »
If Coach K thought his student/fans were taunting an opponent and yelled at them to have some class and STFU .. I think that's great. 

I get it, if the taunt was "sit with us" .. that's tame.  But K's heart was in the right place. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2020, 06:31:03 PM »
He uses his back as an excuse to leave the team when they are below their normal performance level, so would this be surprising?

that was actually a serious back injury that required surgery (if you've ever had one you'd know how painful that is and the side effects). In fact, K was going to resign until the begged him not to and just take an LOA.  Duke was 9-3 and ranked 11 while K was coaching. But I guess the false narrative works better.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2020, 07:02:33 PM »
that was actually a serious back injury that required surgery (if you've ever had one you'd know how painful that is and the side effects). In fact, K was going to resign until the begged him not to and just take an LOA.  Duke was 9-3 and ranked 11 while K was coaching. But I guess the false narrative works better.

Wasn’t that like 20 years ago?  Jeez...

And Steve Kerr has to do the same thing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2020, 07:12:19 PM »
Wojo was on that team.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2020, 08:25:33 PM »

Eyeroll

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2020, 10:58:32 PM »
Eyeroll

yeah, I "eyeroll" (is that like an egg roll?) when facts don't line up with my narrative.

if you haven't had a ruptured disc in the lumbar spine you have no idea what one goes through.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 11:00:38 PM by Billy Hoyle »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2020, 01:06:22 AM »

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 01:08:53 AM »

I have it on very good authority that to this day the Michigan Athletic Department continues to ask Coach K for advice and permission on matters of consequence ever since they made the grave error of firing Tommy Amaker...

Death on call

feedback