'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Novak wins arbitration case  (Read 4945 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Novak wins arbitration case
« on: June 22, 2012, 02:06:32 PM »
He and Lin were granted the early Bird rights... If I'm reading this correctly he'll be in line for $5 million next season.

Definitely beltworthy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/23/sports/basketball/jeremy-lin-granted-early-bird-rights.html?smid=tw-share

drewm88

• All American
Re: Novak wins arbitration case
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 02:26:41 PM »
I still don't get why it was ruled this way, but I'm not complaining. Congrats, Steve!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 02:32:32 PM »
I still don't get why it was ruled this way, but I'm not complaining. Congrats, Steve!

Agreed.  It's great for Steve, but it makes no sense that he'd retain his Bird rights. 

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 09:14:24 PM »

Am I the only one that really wishes there was a way that Steve could end up with Miami? How lethal would he be with Lebron, Wade, and Bosh collapsing the D?

nyg

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 09:21:58 PM »
Am I the only one that really wishes there was a way that Steve could end up with Miami? How lethal would he be with Lebron, Wade, and Bosh collapsing the D?

The big news today was that Ray Allen may really, really want to go to the Heat.  I like Novak, but Allen on the Heat would be just insane for your reasons above (and the talking sports heads who agree).

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 10:01:14 PM »
The big news today was that Ray Allen may really, really want to go to the Heat.  I like Novak, but Allen on the Heat would be just insane for your reasons above (and the talking sports heads who agree).

That would be pretty insane.  I believe that a team of Wade, Allen, Bosh...or Lebron, Allen, Bosh would be better than the Wade, Lebron, Bosh team.  Due to the ability to stretch the D.

A team of Wade, Allen, Lebron, Bosh would be insane.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 10:24:43 PM »
That would be pretty insane.  I believe that a team of Wade, Allen, Bosh...or Lebron, Allen, Bosh would be better than the Wade, Lebron, Bosh team.  Due to the ability to stretch the D.

A team of Wade, Allen, Lebron, Bosh would be insane.

Agree on the second part (that it'd be insane), disagree on the first bit.  LBJ/Allen/Bosh isn't in the same stratosphere as LBJ/Wade/Bosh.  Allen's in the last couple years (if that) of his career; Wade's still got a lot left AND is currently a lot better than Allen.  I could see Allen replacing Mike Miller as the 3 point gunner, but I think you'll see the Heat go small a lot more with Allen onboard and go Bosh/LBJ/Wade/Allen/PG (pick either of their two current PGs) for some stretches of a game.
Relax. Respect the Process.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 12:18:25 AM »
Novak on the Heat would be insane. Kick out by Bron...Novak with a high Durant-like release for three!
SS Marquette

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 12:00:35 PM »
I really thought Novak should have been a 1st round selection back in 2006.  It was hard to understand how Adam Morrison could go #3 and Novak all the way back at #32.  I mean.....Novak tested just as athletic as Morrison.....so if athleticism was such a knock,  how could Morrison go at #3???  Obviously Morrison was drafted WAY too high,  but it's clear Novak didn't get the benefit of the doubt Morrison was getting.  Look who's laughing now. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 12:21:18 PM »
I really thought Novak should have been a 1st round selection back in 2006.  It was hard to understand how Adam Morrison could go #3 and Novak all the way back at #32.  I mean.....Novak tested just as athletic as Morrison.....so if athleticism was such a knock,  how could Morrison go at #3???  Obviously Morrison was drafted WAY too high,  but it's clear Novak didn't get the benefit of the doubt Morrison was getting.  Look who's laughing now. 

Yes...Novak is better than Adam Morrison.  Not exactly a high hurdle to jump over.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 12:28:27 PM »
He's going to celebrate by going to the Sox/brewers game:

"Steve Novak, Wisconsin-native, Marquette University graduate and NBA forward will throw out a ceremonial first pitch.  Novak, who plays forward with the New York Knicks, played alongside Dwyane Wade during Marquette's 2003 Final Four run.  Originally from Brown Deer, Wis., Novak proposed to his wife Christina six years ago at U.S. Cellular Field."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/print.jsp?ymd=20120622&content_id=33739338&c_id=cws

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »
I'm glad I read the SOX link, game was on at a bar last night and every time they showed the crowd all I could think was fat , mullet headed south siders then I read it was mullet night so obviously not everyone's natural do.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 01:41:48 PM »
The best part of last night's game was that I had BOTH starting pitchers on my fantasy baseball team. I do love pitchers duels in those situations  ;D

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 01:45:59 PM »
The best part of last night's game was that I had BOTH starting pitchers on my fantasy baseball team. I do love pitchers duels in those situations  ;D

Fantasy baseball, really?

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 01:51:16 PM »

I love fantasy baseball.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 02:30:27 PM »

Yes - gotta keep me busy when fantasy basketball's not in season.

But back to the topic here:  With the Bird rights here, how much will Novak get from the Knicks?

nyg

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 02:56:10 PM »
Yes - gotta keep me busy when fantasy basketball's not in season.

But back to the topic here:  With the Bird rights here, how much will Novak get from the Knicks?

5 Million

The Process

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 03:34:21 PM »
5 Million

ESPN's saying "up to $5 million:"

The ruling is especially huge for the Knicks. They can now retain Lin, Novak and Landry Fields at up to $5 million each and then sign an additional player at $3 million or less with their mid-level exception

So the questions now are as follows:

1.  Is Novak actually worth $5 million?
2.  Will the Knicks be willing to offer $5 million?

He's come a long way from when I'd see him outside of Dunkin Donuts scarfing down an entire box of deliciousness...

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 10:08:11 PM »
ESPN's saying "up to $5 million:"

So the questions now are as follows:

1.  Is Novak actually worth $5 million?
2.  Will the Knicks be willing to offer $5 million?

He's come a long way from when I'd see him outside of Dunkin Donuts scarfing down an entire box of deliciousness...

1. To the right team, yes. (Lakers, Heat, Clippers, ?) To the Knicks, he shouldn't be.
2. Probably, but I don't think they should. I say probably because he's a popular player, and the Knicks won't realize that they should blow that team up until it's 2-3 years too late.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 04:31:12 AM »
kirk heinrich-11 mil, raef lafenz-11.8, wally szczerbiak-12 mil, larry hughs-12 mil, kenyon martin 13 mil.....by these standards, the knicks are stealing!! ;D

feedback