'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 12:57:51 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[Today at 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lucky, Odd, Funny, Annoying Routines When Watching MU Games  (Read 12400 times)

MUEng92

• All American
Re: Lucky, Odd, Funny, Annoying Routines When Watching MU Games
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 12:19:31 PM »
Watching games at home, I have to change seating locations to stop MU's bad runs.  It's really just to get me moving to relieve the pressure.

Interestingly, my wife and each of my daughter's separately went through the same thought pattern in their lives thinking this was 1) funny, 2) strange, 3) pathetic.  I am both concerned and proud that my youngest daughter was able to progress so quickly through this process.  Proud that she is able to view things critically but concerned that she thinks her father is pathetic (at least on this topic).

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 12:31:48 PM »
When watching road games on TV I always wear MU gear anyway.  I sit on the futon or on the floor so I can focus on the TV without seeing anyone else in the room.  I tend to slam the floor on bad plays or missed calls which I can do without hurting myself or making too loud a noise.  I will go into the adjacent office to get on MUScoop during commercials or at half if we are behind.  Misery needs company.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
We fly the Marquette flag on gameday. I wear a lucky shirt for the games, but will stop wearing it when it suffers a loss and then switch to a new shirt. We also watch almost every game on tape delay, but that's mostly out of convenience.

Finally, I think superstitions are terribly stupid but cannot help myself.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 01:23:15 PM »
At the BC, I do lots of stuff that most of the other geezer alums don't:

-curse at The Chicken for never giving the free Palermo's Pizza to my row.

PM Tall Titan before the opener and ask what row he is sitting in....guaranteed winner  ;)

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 01:44:25 PM »
If I'm at work during a gameday, I wear one of my gameday ties that I got from the Spirit Shop. If I'm not working that day...any MU gear with my MU sneakers from NikeID.com.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 01:55:08 PM »
Finally, I think superstitions are terribly stupid but cannot help myself.

+1

I'm always disappointed in myself when I don't wear a shirt just because MU lost last time I wore it.  It doesn't make any sense... but what if it actually *is* the shirt's fault?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 02:16:29 PM »
+1

I'm always disappointed in myself when I don't wear a shirt just because MU lost last time I wore it.  It doesn't make any sense... but what if it actually *is* the shirt's fault?

Agreed.  There's less than a 0.0000000000000000001% chance it actually is the shirt's fault, but why risk it?

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 02:40:42 PM »
I'm extremely superstitious when it comes to clothing I wear to sporting events. In '03 I wore the same shirt, pants, shoes and probably even underwear to every game.  Washed between games, of course (most of the time...)

I went to several road games during my time at MU and their record was really bad.  Among the worst losses were the 02 NCAA first round in St Louis and the CUSA tournament in Louisville in 03.  That was the last MU road game I went to. The rest of that season turned out OK.  I am quite ashamed to admit that I stayed on campus when pretty much all of my friends went to Indy and Minneapolis for the games that season.  It was worth the sacrifice, I suppose.

I still don't travel to games.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 02:48:19 PM »
I still don't travel to games.

I speak for all of us when I say "thank you".
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 02:49:16 PM »
I assume Ners and Gooses new routine will be watching for looks of contempt flashed from Buzz to LW and then reporting back here "see we are right, Buzz is still pissed at LW"

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 03:03:23 PM »
I assume Ners and Gooses new routine will be watching for looks of contempt flashed from Buzz to LW and then reporting back here "see we are right, Buzz is still pissed at LW"

Starting with Buzz's BBQ on Wednesday...  

We will need a full report on how Buzz and Larry related with each other and whether it was sincere or fake.

EDIT:  Sorry for the threadjack...I couldn't resist.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 03:10:01 PM »
We should get a dunk tank this year.  

Oh, and i've burned articles of clothing in a fire pit once after a horrendous game.  Yeah, it got bad for a time in the mid 00's.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:12:05 PM by Stone Cold »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2012, 04:01:38 PM »
Only a select few people I will watch a game with on tv.  My wife is constantly trying to have a "party" for a big road game, drives me insane but I don't like having to explain everything to people and have them walk in front of the tv or otherwise take my focus away from the game.  Plus I tend to jump and yell at the game a lot so people don't need to see that.

Also apparently whatever I do when watching road games scares my 80 pounds dog because he will hide outside the whole game and only come back in when the game is over.

I also suffer from superstition that is crap.  If they win, tshirt gets worn again until they lose.  I have tshirts in my closet I won't wear because they are really bad luck, see FF03 and the Jerry Smith game, but I can't throw them out because their bad luck will become permanent.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2012, 04:40:37 PM »
I used to yell.  Loudly.  A lot.  Loud cheering when I could.  Yelled at the refs when I thought they missed a call or made a bad call.  I once had a cute little girl, sitting directly in front of me, turn around and ask me to tone it down as I was hurting her ears.  Simultaneously precious and embarrassing.   ::)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2012, 05:28:58 PM »
My wife is the one who yells at the TV during road games.

During the last 5 minutes of a close, significant game, I start playing with my kids toys... during the @UCONN game two years ago I spent nearly the entire second half figuring out where and at what angle to place my hands in order to ricochet the balls in my son's Playskool Busy Ball Popper back into the tray without having to move.

I also have the MU soundtrack ready to go in the event of a hot timeout on the road... everything except Cotton Eye Joe --- can't stand that song.  Our kids love jumping around to Thunderstruck before tipoff at home, but won't even get out of their seats at the BC unless we hold them.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Sponge Ruiner!

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2012, 05:51:17 PM »
Like the Tupí Tribe of South America, we practice exocannibalism before every big game. Nothing prepares better for victory than consuming your enemy, possessing their strength, their vitality, their very soul.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupinamba
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exocannibalism

Among the notable things we've eaten just before game time:
-3 Musketeers Bars (Xavier)
-Oranges (Syracuse)
-Badger Meatloaf (Bucky)
-Shamrock Shakes (Golder Domers)
-Shots of Baileys
-Steak (USF)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 05:53:13 PM by Sponge Ruiner! »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2012, 06:23:02 PM »
You cats are all too traditional and a bunch of old farts. My wife and I have wild monkey sex if we're leading at halftime and twice during Buzz' postgame show with Homer and Mac.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2012, 06:29:10 PM »
You cats are all too traditional and a bunch of old farts. My wife and I have wild monkey sex if we're leading at halftime and twice during Buzz' postgame show with Homer and Mac.

Well now I'm just embarrassed.   I always assumed you were like 100 or something.  I was about to suggest to rocky some kind of avatar badge for you.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2012, 06:34:07 PM »
4ever
Thanks for the visual. Going to give halftime leads a different perspective moving forward.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 06:38:22 PM by Goose »

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2012, 06:36:02 PM »
Same shirt and gym shorts until the team loses then they get washed or rotated.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2012, 06:39:45 PM »
AZWarrior
Great story and know the feeling.

PickNRoll

• Walk-On
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2012, 06:47:55 PM »
Our dog is our good luck charm.  If we're doing well we don't bother him so he'll keep laying in the same position.  If we're not doing well we call him to come sit by us and tell him we need some mojo from him.  My wife thinks my boys and I are more than a little strange.

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2012, 07:37:27 PM »
No real traditions at the BC besides drinking heavily at the Brat house.  If watching at home I have to turn the TV off and have a beer in the kitchen if we go down by 10 or more, love watching but the stress of the BE road games is tough.  Back in the mid-80's had a dog named DJ named after Dwayne Johnson and his tail went between his legs when I cursed DJ for a bad play, new dog is named Max hopefully no name conflicts going forward although he still gets upset when I swear and throw the remote, etc.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2012, 07:45:12 PM »

Holy crap!  And I've been headed out to the BC concession stand for a beer thinking that halftime entertainment wasn't worth it!

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2012, 08:34:02 PM »
BRAT STOP!