[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting Tidbits  (Read 43791 times)

Blackhat

• All American
Recruiting Tidbits
« on: May 23, 2012, 10:08:14 PM »
****Whether or not 2013 four-star point guard Stevie Clark makes a move into the class of 2012 is still undecided. The 5-foot-10 scoring machine from Oklahoma City (Okla.) Douglass is waiting to see who is hired to replace his former high school coach Terry Long at Douglass. If it's somebody he's comfortable with, Clark will be back for his senior year, and his mother has told Rivals.com and other news outlets that it's her preference that he stay in the class of 2013. Should he make a move to 2012, Baylor, Florida State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Marquette, Oklahoma State, Stanford, Tulsa and many others are in play.

****This spring, one of the more pleasant surprises has been the development of four-star power forward Jarell Martin.

In addition to his strong play with New Orleans Elite on the grassroots circuit, Martin has earned rave reviews for his play at Adidas Nations events. And the Baton Rouge (La.) Madison Prep junior was recently measured at 6-foot-9 and 223 pounds over the weekend at the most recent Nations event.

Because of that loaded calenedar, Martin is unlikely to take any visits to schools during June. When we last spoke to Martin in April, he indicated that Oklahoma State and Louisville were really standing out in his recruitment; but his high school coach says there are a pair of SEC schools right there in hometown LSU and Alabama.

Others involved include St. John's, Marquette, Baylor, Ohio State and Kansas, but Martin is in no rush to make a decision. Look for him to cut his list down to five after July and then take his time making visits in order to set up a late signing.

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Recruiting Tidbits
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 10:12:30 PM »
****As the top big men in the class of 2014, Jahlil Okafor and Dakari Johnson have set the bar high for sophomores around the nation. Little known due to his location, Isaac Allen of Mesa High in Arizona is quite the commodity and is making his game known around the nation.

Standing 6-foot-10, the talented power forward has a long, athletic body which he is still growing into. When all is said and done, he could be one of the best prospects to come out of the state of Arizona, especially from a standpoint of size. He runs the floor extremely well, rebounds well and can score inside. He is getting stronger and taking strides in his game on offense.

A strong academic commodity, Allen enjoys school and is very focused and mature for his age.

With his work ethic, length and potential, he is a college coach's dream, especially because of how under the radar he is playing for the ICan All-Stars.

With no current offers or visits under his belt, the entire Pac-12 is recruiting him early and often.

At the moment - UCLA, Marquette, Arizona and Notre Dame are recruiting him the hardest. The Wildcats and Arizona State have an advantage in his recruitment being the in-state squads. Texas and UNLV - along with all of the equally interested Pac-12 schools - are salivating and wondering just how good Allen could turn out.

He is not focused on his recruitment at the moment, and is very reserved when it comes to that matter. When all is said and done, look for Isaac Allen to be the best talent to come out of Mesa (AZ) since Arizona State rising sophomore Jahii Carson .

Hamostradamus

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:15:15 PM »
Yeah, but do they have academic All-American potential? If not, I say pass.
"ESPN -- is the one who told us what to do." - Boston College athletic director Gene DeFilippo

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 10:34:55 PM »
Why even worry about this when we have no control over it?

Will Stone Cold name his sources?

Since they haven't committed to Marquette already, it's pretty doubtful that they're even considering coming to Marquette.  No one thinks about stuff without doing it.

Hamostradamus

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 10:45:52 PM »
Why even worry about this when we have no control over it?

Will Stone Cold name his sources?

Since they haven't committed to Marquette already, it's pretty doubtful that they're even considering coming to Marquette.  No one thinks about stuff without doing it.

For the win
"ESPN -- is the one who told us what to do." - Boston College athletic director Gene DeFilippo

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 02:55:20 AM »
Thanks for the update Stone Cold.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 04:12:08 AM »
Doesn't it seem that Allen has skinny (not-so-wide) shoulders? Not really ideal for a PF/C right?
SS Marquette

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 06:45:43 AM »
Thanks Stone Cold!!

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 07:53:43 AM »
No problem.  Happy to share with my Scoop brothers.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 07:58:06 AM »
Doesn't it seem that Allen has skinny (not-so-wide) shoulders? Not really ideal for a PF/C right?

I like the fact he can run the court well and stay with our transition game.  Looks like he's got the hops to be a shot blocker too.  Might be tailor made for us.

Jamil Wilson inside game on steroids?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FL2Msv_Cck" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-FL2Msv_Cck</a>

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 08:35:24 AM »

I have skinny (not-so-wide) shoulders, too, and....and....  Hmmm, come to think of it, I wasn't an ideal PF/C either.  Wasn't an ideal PG/SG/SF either. Really wasn't much of anything on the court, actually.  Did get my front teeth knocked out playing IM b-ball in the old gym one night.  Thank goodness for the dental school and Dr. VanScoten on the faculty.  He put 'em all back in the same night, wired 'em up, and told me to lay off eating corn on the cob for awhile.  Ahhh, the good old days. 
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 09:09:44 AM »
I like the fact he can run the court well and stay with our transition game.  Looks like he's got the hops to be a shot blocker too.  Might be tailor made for us.

Jamil Wilson inside game on steroids?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FL2Msv_Cck" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-FL2Msv_Cck</a>

A center can come in and start right away in 2014, I am sure Buzz will find some top kid who likes that idea!  The more MU plays well the next two years, the high visibility of the program will attract somebody.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 04:09:34 PM »
Marquette should sign all the good players and leave all the bad players for other schools.

There. I said it. What a relief to get that off my chest.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 12:49:44 PM »
By: Eric Bossi Rivals.com

One of the hotter recruits in the country has been Baton Rouge (La.) Madison Prep's Jarell Martin. Martin was the Pangos camp's top performer of the weekend after leading the camp in scoring and finishing second in rebounding.

After watching him earlier this spring, it was clear that Martin was going to jump from his current ranking of No. 62 in the 2013 Rivals150. Now, he looks like a guy that could very well be in the discussion for five-star status when the rankings are next reviewed.

Martin's added strength allows him to play more powerfully in the lane and he's also much more committed to making things happen at the rim first. Once he establishes himself on the low block, Martin can then face up and attack via the dribble or drain 12- to 15-foot jumpers. In transition, he's a sleek performer who gets from rim to rim as quickly as any big man in the country.

Since arriving in Baton Rouge the new staff at LSU has turned things up and Alabama, Louisville and Oklahoma State were already strong. Others taking their chances include Kansas, Baylor, St. John's, Marquette and Ohio State.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:53:45 PM by Stone Cold »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
Jeff Rabjohns Peegs.com

One of the nation's elite shooters and top overall young players, Theo Pinson has become more impressed with Indiana with each conversation with coach Tom Crean.

The Rivals.com No. 14 player in the 2014 class decided he wanted a first-hand look at IU, so he's making an unofficial visit to the Bloomington campus on Friday.

"I've talked to coach Crean, and I really like things like how he cares about the person first more than just basketball," said Pinson, who talked to Indiana Monday evening. "He thinks about family first, and I really like that. I just like how he cares about people off the court."

The 6-foot-5 forward from Greensboro, N.C., has an offer from Indiana, among a host of schools.

He said he's intrigued by Indiana's resurgence that has them set up to be a national title contender this year and Crean's history of developing players.

Rivals.com 2014 No. 14 Theo Pinson is making an unofficial visit to Indiana on Friday.

"They're No. 1 in the preseason right now. They had a really good season last year. I don't think anybody thought they'd beat Kentucky last year, but they did," Pinson said. "And you can look at all the players that coach Crean has coach like Dwayne Wade."

Pinson has a host of skills, but the one that stands out the most is that he's one of the nation's best shooters in high school basketball right now, regardless of class.

Playing with the CP3 All-Stars, Pinson has been outstanding this spring.

He said the things he's looking for in a college are "winning tradition and the atmosphere and the environment."

"I just really want to get down there and see how the campus looks, see the facilities, get out of North Carolina and take a visit," Pinson said.

"They offered me like a week ago, so they're really interested. I talked to them (Monday night). They said they're really excited for me to come down there, and I'm really looking forward to it."

Pinson has offers from IU, Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Ohio State, Clemson, UConn, Georgetown and a host of others.

Asked who he's hearing from the most, Pinson listed Alabama, Indiana, Ohio State, N.C. State, Marquette, Georgetown, Syracuse, North Carolina, Duke, Wake Forest, Florida State and Maryland.

He's made several unofficial visits, including trips to Duke, North Carolina, N.C. State, Wake Forest and Alabama.

Pinson has been impressive for a while. This is his third year playing with the CP3 17-and-under team. Peegs.com watched him in person at the Boo Williams Elite Youth Basketball League event earlier this spring.

He was the leading scorer and rebounder and led the team in steals this spring for CP3 in the EYBL through the first three sessions, averaging 15.7 points per game. He's shooting 48 percent from the floor (59-for-123) and 33 percent from 3-point range (16-for-49). He is also second on the team in assists.

Pinson is friends with current 2014 IU recruits Trey Lyles and James Blackmon Jr.

Pinson has a mentality like Lyles and Blackmon. While he's an elite talent, his focus is on basketball and improving for the future, not the hype.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:54:59 PM by Stone Cold »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 11:25:19 PM »
Jeff Rabjohns Peegs.com

One of the nation's elite shooters and top overall young players, Theo Pinson has become more impressed with Indiana with each conversation with coach Tom Crean.

The Rivals.com No. 14 player in the 2014 class decided he wanted a first-hand look at IU, so he's making an unofficial visit to the Bloomington campus on Friday.

"I've talked to coach Crean, and I really like things like how he cares about the person first more than just basketball," said Pinson, who talked to Indiana Monday evening. "He thinks about family first, and I really like that. I just like how he cares about people off the court."

The 6-foot-5 forward from Greensboro, N.C., has an offer from Indiana, among a host of schools.

He said he's intrigued by Indiana's resurgence that has them set up to be a national title contender this year and Crean's history of developing players.

Rivals.com 2014 No. 14 Theo Pinson is making an unofficial visit to Indiana on Friday.

"They're No. 1 in the preseason right now. They had a really good season last year. I don't think anybody thought they'd beat Kentucky last year, but they did," Pinson said. "And you can look at all the players that coach Crean has coach like Dwayne Wade."

Pinson has a host of skills, but the one that stands out the most is that he's one of the nation's best shooters in high school basketball right now, regardless of class.

Playing with the CP3 All-Stars, Pinson has been outstanding this spring.

He said the things he's looking for in a college are "winning tradition and the atmosphere and the environment."

"I just really want to get down there and see how the campus looks, see the facilities, get out of North Carolina and take a visit," Pinson said.

"They offered me like a week ago, so they're really interested. I talked to them (Monday night). They said they're really excited for me to come down there, and I'm really looking forward to it."

Pinson has offers from IU, Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Ohio State, Clemson, UConn, Georgetown and a host of others.

Asked who he's hearing from the most, Pinson listed Alabama, Indiana, Ohio State, N.C. State, Marquette, Georgetown, Syracuse, North Carolina, Duke, Wake Forest, Florida State and Maryland.

He's made several unofficial visits, including trips to Duke, North Carolina, N.C. State, Wake Forest and Alabama.

Pinson has been impressive for a while. This is his third year playing with the CP3 17-and-under team. Peegs.com watched him in person at the Boo Williams Elite Youth Basketball League event earlier this spring.

He was the leading scorer and rebounder and led the team in steals this spring for CP3 in the EYBL through the first three sessions, averaging 15.7 points per game. He's shooting 48 percent from the floor (59-for-123) and 33 percent from 3-point range (16-for-49). He is also second on the team in assists.

Pinson is friends with current 2014 IU recruits Trey Lyles and James Blackmon Jr.

Pinson has a mentality like Lyles and Blackmon. While he's an elite talent, his focus is on basketball and improving for the future, not the hype.

For a long while there I was wondering why you were posting stuff about this guy.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 01:32:27 PM »
Top Ten for 2014 in Illinois according to Brad Sturdy from orangeandbluenews.com

The hype surrounding the 2014 class in Illinois has been overwhelming over the past few years, and although there is still a pair of elite prospects at the top of the rankings, there is a drop off into the 3 and 4 star range directly after those two.

There are still possibly a dozen high major players in the 2014 class. Here's a look at the Ornage Blue News post spring Illinois rankings for the class of 2014.

1. Jahlil Okafor    Chicago Whitney Young
The top big man in the state may also be the top big man in the country for 2014. Possessing an advanced back to the basket game, and continually getting better, he's a future lottery pick.

2. Cliff Alexander    Chicago Curie
The clear #2 player in the class, Alexander is a 5 star recruit that can run the floor and finish at the rim. He lacks the offensive arsenal of Okafor, but may run a little better.

3. Keita Bates-Diop    Normal U-High
He continues to grow as a player and get better, but he isn't always as productive as he should be with his skill set, size and athletic ability. With a sweet stroke, great length, and understated athleticism, he's a high major lock.

4. Paul White    Chicago Whitney Young
Although he sometimes disappears, he is still a player with great talent and excellent skills for his size. As he improves his motor and becomes more comfortable in his role, he can become an elite talent.

5. Larry Austin    Springfield Lanphier
Austin had a great spring and continues to win games and change minds. He does everything except shoot it well, but that will come with his work ethic and dedication. Expect him to continue to grow as a player and he always brings it on the floor.

6. Tyler Ulis    Chicago Marian Catholic
Although small, Ulis can play. He gets into the lane, has the ball on a string and can shoot it from the perimeter. Some will back off due to size concerns, but that would be a mistake.

7. Sean O'Mara    Benet Academy
He's a solid big man, with good skills and is emerging as a better athlete. He's a notch below the other two big guys because he doesn't run and move as well, but he is a very solid consolation prize for some high major.

8. Malek Harris    Orland Park Sandburg
Harris had a great spring until an ankle injury derailed him a bit in early May. He can score and rebounds well, but is a bit of a tweener as a forward. Still, he has enough game and athleticism to be a power forward at the high major level.

9.Marlon Jones    Chicago Orr
After one viewing Jones one weekend, I would have him higher, but after a second viewing

10. Tyquone Greer    Chicago Orr
Probably too low, but Greer still has work to do as a perimeter scorer. He is a slasher and great at finishing in transition. I'd like to see him develop his ball handling and jump shot.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 03:57:04 PM »
Wonder how much we really pushed but:

Alex Kline therecruitscoop.com

2013 6-foot-4 shooting guard Matt Thomas of Onalaska in Wisconsin cut his college list to two schools. Virginia and Iowa State emerged as the potential candidates for the No. 131 junior in the Rivals150. With Wisconsin, Boston College, Marquette, Minnesota, Nebraska and more involved, Thomas decided it would be best to either play for Fred Hoiberg and the Cyclones or Tony Bennett and the Cavaliers. While no decision timetable has been set yet, he has visited both schools and will look to determine a final destination in the near future.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 05:27:36 PM »
Wonder how much we really pushed but:

Alex Kline therecruitscoop.com

2013 6-foot-4 shooting guard Matt Thomas of Onalaska in Wisconsin cut his college list to two schools. Virginia and Iowa State emerged as the potential candidates for the No. 131 junior in the Rivals150. With Wisconsin, Boston College, Marquette, Minnesota, Nebraska and more involved, Thomas decided it would be best to either play for Fred Hoiberg and the Cyclones or Tony Bennett and the Cavaliers. While no decision timetable has been set yet, he has visited both schools and will look to determine a final destination in the near future.

Think he was Plan B.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 05:33:06 PM »
I guess some coaches have called Thomas the best shooter they've seen in hs.   (obviously weren't from Brown Deer).  Would have been nice to have a zone buster, but the players we got you don't part with.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 09:07:51 PM »
Eric Bossi at Rivals.com breakdown of Stone and Looney from Elite 100 camp:

Diamond Stone- The 6-foot-8 center from Milwaukee was arguably the top player and prospect in camp. Big guys don't always command the ball in all-star camp settings but the class of 2015 stud did. While not a bouncy guy around the rim, Stone is strong and extremely skilled. While watching him, it was tough to not be reminded of a young Kevin Love. Jump hooks with either hand, 17 foot jumpers in pick and pop action, alert passing and excellent footwork are all parts of Stone's game at an early juncture. Lock him in as a five-star prospect and one of the true elite players we've seen in 2015 to this point. Stone feels he already has offers from Marquette and Wisconsin, but also mentioned Indiana, UCLA, North Carolina, Georgetown, Clemson, USC, Michigan and Michigan State as having showed early interest.

Kevon Looney- The Milwaukee (Wisc.) Hamilton product continued what has been a great grassroots season for him. A combo forward with a knack for cleaning the rack and a slim, angular frame, Looney is reminiscent of Quincy Miller at the same age. While he isn't quite yet the scorer Miller was, he's still possesses plenty of offensive ability.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 12:03:20 AM »
Buzz's legacy might be right in front of him in recruiting.  He was able to get 3 Milwaukee kids to commit in 2013, in 2014 Looney is a priority so is Stone in 2015.  The best assistant he can get is from those three kids recruiting them in the same city.  Wilson plays with Stone, that is a no brainer.  Looney I am sure knows all of them and played with them already or against them on the playground.  This reminds me of when MU was recruiting Bo Ellis. Maurice Lucas, God rest his sole, and Jimmy Chones recruited Bo to come to MU.  This is the same situation.
Buzz has gotten so-called average players by hard work to the NBA, those past players love Buzz.  It is all falling in place for Buzz.  I have never seen in many years the quality of great players in the state.  Decker is Larry Bird like, love his game as well.  I can only remember over the years, John Johnson, Fred Brown, Goose Brell, Clarence Sherrod and a little guard from
Shorewood, John Rinka, and one other Jeff Webb from West Milwaukee as better.  Still trying to figure out how MU did not recruit either Johnson or Brown?  Sherrod was overrecruited by
getting Dean Memminger, I think we all agree he was better.  Rinka, Al admitted made a big mistake, took John Reider over him.  Rinka and Memminger would have been really good.  Jeff
Sewell was really good, but not as good as Rinka.  But one story about Sewell.  Cazzie Russell was at the arena after an MU practice and Cazzie bet there was not player on MU that could
shoot as good as him.  Al bet a $100 bucks on Sewell could beat him, and Sewell did.  Great story.

Love to here if anyone knows why MU did not recruit Johnson or Brown, both were outstanding players in the NBA?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 04:54:20 AM »
Not for sure on this, but didn't Brown and Johnson go JUCO back in the day?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 07:36:27 AM »
Not for sure on this, but didn't Brown and Johnson go JUCO back in the day?

Both went JC back in the day.  Al recruited JC kids all the time.  Whitehead, Lackey, and Walton.  They might have gone to like Burlington JC, but not sure about that.