[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop fishing thread  (Read 158763 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Scoop fishing thread
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2012, 08:19:19 PM »
Went out this am between 6-8am today.  Sat back in a chair and cast crawlers with a bobber off the dock.  For a good portion of that time, got into a school of big blue gills.  Pound for pound, no better fishing than gills on an ultra lite and 4lb test with a bobber.  Life is good.  Went through two dozen crawlers, pinched in half.  All released (forgot the fillet knife at home).

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2012, 11:22:18 PM »
When the going gets tough, the tough... dig into their bag of tricks.

Muskie fishing has totally sucked lately.  Water temps are way too high.  They've come down a bit (from 85 to 78) but still too hot and sunny for a good muskie bite.

Soooo... I decided to go largemouth bass fishing.  Found an interesting lake in Northern Wisconsin.    Almost 200 acres and not a house on it.  Fished it for about 4 hours this evening.  Caught about 20 bass, mostly small, but several in the 16-20 inch range.  Lost the biggest one when it ran under the boat and tangled in some timber.  If I woulda had my muskie gear that sucker woulda ended up in my boat.
Sorry for the crappy picture.  Mr.MUskie's fishing partner is Barley the Golden Retriever, so the picture was taken with the camera propped on the console, with the sun behind me, and a 10 second timer.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:36:18 PM by mr.MUskie »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2012, 09:49:31 AM »
Fishing with crickets?  Must be an Indiana thing! 

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/sbt-20120803sbtmichb-05-08-20120803,0,3547850.story

Tried them once...way back when.  At milepost 99 on the Indiana toll road, there are a couple of ponds behind the salt barns on the north side.  The ponds are man made, dirt used for building the highway back in the 50's.  The ponds where stocked with bass.   Lots of fun with crickets and a bobber.  ;D

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2012, 07:24:11 PM »
Had success perch fishing on Lake Metonga until the storms came a calling.    Used little joes with night crawlers.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2012, 09:51:29 AM »
Stone, aren't you due for a little jig fishing with Wayne and company up at Eagle Lake?  
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 08:59:03 PM by real chili 83 »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2012, 11:47:43 AM »
Shore lunch.  Mmmm.....nummy.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2012, 04:56:29 PM »
Stone, aren't you due for a little jig fishing with Wayne and company up at Eagle Lake?  

Next summer.   Looking forward to it.   Will have to refine my jigging technique on Wisconsin lakes before I go though.   Lighter line, shorter rod I'm thinking.  Pretty good with the back troll.    Funny thing, most guys enjoy big fish hunting, I enjoy walleye fishing the most.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2012, 05:24:18 PM »
Had to skip my usual weeklong trip to northwestern Ontario this year, but I managed to carve out a four-day trip to Leech Lake in Minnesota next week. Problem is, I've never fished Leech Lake, so I'm going in clueless.
Anyone familiar with the lake who can offer some advice?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2012, 05:34:21 PM »
Had to skip my usual weeklong trip to northwestern Ontario this year, but I managed to carve out a four-day trip to Leech Lake in Minnesota next week. Problem is, I've never fished Leech Lake, so I'm going in clueless.
Anyone familiar with the lake who can offer some advice?

Big body of water.  Big big muskies.  Walleyes have made a nice comeback once they took out the comorants (sp?).

The lake is well mapped.  Lots of water to cover.  Guide would save you lots of time.

Used to work with a guy who won the walleye tourney there one year.  He used crawlers on lindy rig with a 6 foot mono leader and a red hook.

Good luck.  Send some pics!

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2012, 05:49:02 PM »
Fishing in the Mercer area today, the muskie gods smiled on me with this 43", 21lb ski.  It's been a rough summer for muskies, hopefully this cooler weather will turn them on.  Water temps were down to 70 degrees, from a high of 85 in July.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2012, 06:00:57 PM »
Big body of water.  Big big muskies.  Walleyes have made a nice comeback once they took out the comorants (sp?).

The lake is well mapped.  Lots of water to cover.  Guide would save you lots of time.

Used to work with a guy who won the walleye tourney there one year.  He used crawlers on lindy rig with a 6 foot mono leader and a red hook.

Good luck.  Send some pics!

Hey Chili ... a belated thanks for the tips.
got back last week. We floundered for the first couple days (yep ... big lake, lots to cover), but found some spots on day three and made a killing on walleye and northern. It was a short trip, so we didn't spend any time muskie hunting, but a good time was had nonetheless.
Thanks again.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2012, 06:40:55 PM »
Hey Chili ... a belated thanks for the tips.
got back last week. We floundered for the first couple days (yep ... big lake, lots to cover), but found some spots on day three and made a killing on walleye and northern. It was a short trip, so we didn't spend any time muskie hunting, but a good time was had nonetheless.
Thanks again.

A bad day of fishing is.....

Pics?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2012, 09:30:02 AM »
Interesting article.  

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/sbt-outdoors-anglers-waiting-for-trout-salmon-20121007,0,1348403.column

Anyone having any luck this season?

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/245601/group/Outdoors/

Got my blue glass shad rap at half mast.  Walleye killer.  Secret weapon. Shah, don't tell anyone.  ;)

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_21683609/ron-weber-who-brought-finnish-rapala-lures-u

If you've never fished the Brule, it's worth the trip.  Incredible white pines and cedars.

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_21696843/minnesota-joins-iowa-fight-against-invasive-carp

Anyone ever experience these fish?

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 10:28:50 AM by real chili 83 »

mr.MUskie

• All American

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2012, 10:18:24 PM »
To answer Real Chili's question from another thread (and doing it in the proper thread)...
Done for the season (probably).  Closed up my place up north end of October.  Got out to my favorite fall lake and was skunked.  Went out for a few hours with a friend of mine who is a guide in Eagle River.  We missed one on a sucker, had one come out of the water and miss on the figure eight, then got a small one on a glide bait.  Went out to a secret, sleeper lake... almost impossible to launch (had to wade and push), very small, but deep with ciscos and smelt.  Marked a lot of fish... but got skunked.  Went out the next day with a friend who used to have an outdoors show on the radio and owned a tackle company.  Supposedly really dialed in on what's happening.  Said he knew the Eagle River Chain like the back of his hand.  Fished 8 hours, got skunked.  My boat is sitting in my driveway, so might give it one last shot, but I say that every year and it never happens.  I end up praying for a 40 degree day in December so I can winterize my boat.  I guess I'll never learn.
Anyone else been out lately?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2012, 10:29:55 PM »
Pretty soon this thread will turn hard water.  Thinking about putting the Clam Voyager on craigs list for the "illegal" model that allows you to connect two of the back to back.   

Got to dust off the vexilar and the underwater camera.

Will run across a few tip ups in the attic when pulling out the deer hunting gear for the WI opener in a few weeks. 

Swedish Pimples or Angle Eyes Jr.?

Deer hunting thread?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2012, 03:38:29 PM »
Snapper, Black Grouper, and Red Grouper

MU B2002...you live in that area or just vacation there? 

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2012, 09:17:39 PM »
Those were caught in the gulf (Carabelle, fl), I live on Atlantic coast in the Jacksonville area. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2012, 06:21:42 PM »
i saw the picture file was labeled carabelle...i spend a few weeks a year fishing the port st. joe/apalach area, but never during red snapper season.  typically we fish inshore and catch all the spanish, specks, and flounder we care for.  evenings we do the whiting and pompano in the surf, which is just a relaxing way to spend an hour or two a night. 

never made it that far east on the panhandle.  can you compare it to the port st. joe/cape san blas area?  we like the "forgotten coast" feeling of uncrowded beaches, no high rises, etc.  i read the weekly reports from panhandle outdoors, and it sounds like carabelle offers some pretty good fishing. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2012, 07:23:42 AM »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2012, 06:37:05 AM »
Good muskie story.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/sbt-outdoors-simplicity-works-on-muskies-20121223,0,1038122.column

Anyone having any hard water luck?  Heading out tomorrow for first time. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2012, 09:15:29 PM »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2012, 09:28:50 PM »
Red Lake walleye story.  Amazing fishery.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/253536/group/Outdoors/

Before the walleyes rebounded, as some of you know, Red Lake was nothing short of incredible for crappies in the winter.  We would come back with limits of 12-14 inch crappies.  10 inches....throw it back.  Used walleye minnows on an Angel Eyes Jr. .....size of a Swedish Pimple.  The crappies would demolish it. 

Most of the fabled monster crappies have died of old age.  Subsequent generations have had to compete with the rebounding walleyes, and are not as plentiful.

Guide Kelly Petroske used to take us out.  He still guides on URL.  Dude knows his stuff.  He posts regularly on the URL forum hosted by HSO.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2013, 02:55:11 PM »
Fishing by the Hudson bridge on I 94.  Ya, that's us off to the south by the open water. 

mubb34

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2013, 04:36:47 PM »
I live on Lake Winnebago. We mainly troll flys and nail the walleyes in the river. Also have a boat rigged up on Lake Michigan. Salmon fishing is by far my favorite!