[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop fishing thread  (Read 158830 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Scoop fishing thread
« Reply #475 on: September 07, 2018, 12:36:55 PM »
Is drinking whiskey after catching a limit of walleyes considered day drinking?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #476 on: September 12, 2018, 10:22:56 PM »
Similar to the smoker thread, want to open this up to to a fairly simple topic : 

What lures/baits do you use the most and/or get the most success? 

I want to try something new.  The tackle box is filled to the brim with options, yet go to the 2-3 typical standby's.

The situation : Lake that we're on has fair amount of panfish, largemouth, small northern and a few muskies here and there.  We don't panfish as we find it quite boring and go mostly for bass/northern combo.  Use a lot of spinnerbait's, rattlers, spinners.  Have dabbled with a jig/craw combo and danced it on the bottom, but didn't get much.  Lake varies between 5-10' deep for half of it, then gets deep to about 25-30.

Since you didn't get an answer, I use crankbaits almost exclusively.  Its what I catch almost everything on.  Crappie on up to big Muskie.  I do frequently use spinners when I'm bored.  Plastics almost never work for me, but we're constantly trolling due to the captain's shoulder pain.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #477 on: September 12, 2018, 10:48:33 PM »
I have three tackle boxes.  One traditional “all-purpose” box, a box for plastics, and a box for the heavy (muskie) stuff. 

Texas rigs and jigworms almost exclusively from spring through summer when chasing largemouth.  Lindy and crawler rigs all year for walleye.  Cranks and spoons for northern summer to fall.  Nothing special... walleye rigs are homemade, everything else is off the shelf: when looking to try something new, I just tell the kids to go pick something out... it works more often than you’d expect. 

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #478 on: September 13, 2018, 11:51:42 AM »
For Northerns and Muskie, try Williams Whitefish spoons.  I've caught a 40+ inch northern and a 51 inch Muskie on the straight silver spoon in the largest size.

They are not a common brand.  Go their website.  Cabela's has them but they don't sell the largest sizes.  Marine General in Duluth carries all sizes, and you can get them on line from them too.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #479 on: September 14, 2018, 07:35:18 AM »
My first lake trout.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #480 on: September 17, 2018, 12:21:13 PM »
Hitching the boat up and driving to Gun Lake in SW Michigan this weekend.  Evidently, nobody's ever caught a walleye there despite the DNR having stocked it annually for several decades now.  Probably being scared away by all the pleasure boats.

Looking forward to night fishing and walleye cheeks for breakfast.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #481 on: September 17, 2018, 12:56:19 PM »
My first lake trout.

From Urban Dictionary:
Bluefaces
A degenerate , large group of society, who have been lured by the de-evolution of a brain by solely relying on the electric glow of a smart phone, computer and/or tablet.
The Bluefaces will rule this world, and the world will be a darker, less empathetic place to live because of it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #482 on: September 17, 2018, 03:48:03 PM »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #483 on: October 09, 2018, 02:39:49 PM »
First muskie hunt of the season yesterday on a day the thermometer hit 82.  Needless to say, we got skunked. 

Saw a few on the sonar hovering around 18-20' in different places, but couldn't even coax a nibble.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #484 on: October 28, 2018, 08:37:05 AM »
Good time for casting Raps shallow for walleyes.  Almost like sight fishing.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #485 on: December 29, 2018, 04:15:46 PM »
 ;D

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #486 on: December 29, 2018, 04:58:48 PM »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #487 on: February 13, 2019, 07:28:41 PM »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #488 on: February 14, 2019, 11:50:33 AM »
Not that Troseth would have taken the fish, but times like this cause me to think that the old record books need to be laminated and C&R records should start being kept in every state.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #489 on: April 30, 2019, 03:05:25 PM »
Not that Troseth would have taken the fish, but times like this cause me to think that the old record books need to be laminated and C&R records should start being kept in every state.

Hammering the walleyes again this spring.  Run started a little late and has been at times a tough bite with the cold weather n high water.  Me and a buddy got a limit each on both Thursday and Friday.  Hitting it again wed thru friday.  Limit goes to 6 a day on May 1.
Biggest Walleye so far this Spring, 8 lbs 4 oz, 27”
Female she went back.  Nothin but jacks go into the freezer
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #490 on: April 30, 2019, 08:09:18 PM »
Hammering the walleyes again this spring.  Run started a little late and has been at times a tough bite with the cold weather n high water.  Me and a buddy got a limit each on both Thursday and Friday.  Hitting it again wed thru friday.  Limit goes to 6 a day on May 1.
Biggest Walleye so far this Spring, 8 lbs 4 oz, 27”
Female she went back.  Nothin but jacks go into the freezer

I assume you are not fishing in Wisconsin.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #491 on: May 01, 2019, 06:54:29 AM »
Fox river in DePere open, and producing like this.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #492 on: May 12, 2019, 10:39:20 AM »
Mercury, Yamaha, or the new Evinrude E-tec?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #493 on: May 31, 2019, 02:25:46 PM »
Too good not to share....

Mine's bigger

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #494 on: May 31, 2019, 03:02:25 PM »
Too good not to share....

Mine's bigger

Prop size no matta, aina?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #495 on: May 31, 2019, 04:22:13 PM »
Prop size no matta, aina?

That’s ‘nevers territory

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #496 on: May 31, 2019, 06:53:54 PM »
Headed to Namakagon again... maybe I can talk my FIL into boating slow enough for walleyes...  for once.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #497 on: June 03, 2019, 11:42:31 AM »
As far as tackle is concerned.  3-4 years ago i started fishing Ned rigs, more of a tube guy for smallmouths and i focus on rivers, however a Ned rig is spectacular if u havent tried.  Fish it like a regular jig.  If u have a lake pond or river that is relatively weed free its a spectacular presentation.  Devastating on smallmouth, have caught everything under the sun on them tho.  Again not weedless so has to be used it right spots.  But for someone that just wants to catch alot of fish they are spectacular.
True story: took a two day trip up to one of my favorite rivers in Michigan on a smallie trip 3 Years ago.  Usualky go 4-5 times a sumner. Hammered it about 4 miles up river in the jet for the anchor n drift back to the landing around noon when we arrived.  Tied the standard cofee with orange specks tube onto the floro tied with a double uni to braid setup.  Pulled up to an outside bend with a large over hanging tree in the middle.  I proceeded to catch 6-7 nice smallies in my first 20+ casts with out moving the boat.  My buddy caught none.  I bumped us down to the muddle of the run, only maybe 75 yrds long in total). Anchored n proceeded to catch another 4-5, some very nice.  My buddy now is frustrated ( hes a good fisherman) and i throw him a ned rig with my favorite color and told him “try this”.  He tied it on and oroceeded to catch 8 smallies on 8 straight casts.  We have always referred to it as Vinces tree since.  A fantastic bait.  I only use it when fishing is tough.  My experience is with a 4” tube i will catch 50% fewer smallmouth but the size difference can be dramatic.  But with a kid or an inexperienced fisherman or on a slow day the Ned rig is one if the best baits i gave ever fished.  Coming from a guy guy that spends  100-150 days a year on the water.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #498 on: June 03, 2019, 02:05:14 PM »
As far as tackle is concerned.  3-4 years ago i started fishing Ned rigs, more of a tube guy for smallmouths and i focus on rivers, however a Ned rig is spectacular if u havent tried.  Fish it like a regular jig.  If u have a lake pond or river that is relatively weed free its a spectacular presentation.  Devastating on smallmouth, have caught everything under the sun on them tho.  Again not weedless so has to be used it right spots.  But for someone that just wants to catch alot of fish they are spectacular.
True story: took a two day trip up to one of my favorite rivers in Michigan on a smallie trip 3 Years ago.  Usualky go 4-5 times a sumner. Hammered it about 4 miles up river in the jet for the anchor n drift back to the landing around noon when we arrived.  Tied the standard cofee with orange specks tube onto the floro tied with a double uni to braid setup.  Pulled up to an outside bend with a large over hanging tree in the middle.  I proceeded to catch 6-7 nice smallies in my first 20+ casts with out moving the boat.  My buddy caught none.  I bumped us down to the muddle of the run, only maybe 75 yrds long in total). Anchored n proceeded to catch another 4-5, some very nice.  My buddy now is frustrated ( hes a good fisherman) and i throw him a ned rig with my favorite color and told him “try this”.  He tied it on and oroceeded to catch 8 smallies on 8 straight casts.  We have always referred to it as Vinces tree since.  A fantastic bait.  I only use it when fishing is tough.  My experience is with a 4” tube i will catch 50% fewer smallmouth but the size difference can be dramatic.  But with a kid or an inexperienced fisherman or on a slow day the Ned rig is one if the best baits i gave ever fished.  Coming from a guy guy that spends  100-150 days a year on the water.

Have heard of Ned rigs, but never tried... is the intent to get the strike on the initial drop?  If not, how do you retrieve?

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #499 on: June 03, 2019, 10:46:24 PM »
No just bounce it back, like any jig many of the hits are on initial fall but u can catch fish all the way back to the boat.  Let fal to bottom, jig, do it again.  Like any fishing very speed until u figure it out.

Go with the Z-mann products n due to the fall not much weight is required.  I throw a 1/6 ounce in situations where i would use 1/4 to 1/2 oz standard, tube, or bass jigs. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o7f6yhTqSGM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-e72xxESwjY

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 11:01:17 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »

feedback