[June 09, 2024, 10:48:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by 4everwarriors
[June 09, 2024, 08:25:23 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Standards for hoops players  (Read 26171 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: New Standards for hoops players
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2012, 11:54:43 PM »
Correct.  Does anyone know if new standards have been put in place?  If we do have new standards I can only imagine that buzz cannot be happy about the effect on recruiting it will have.  If there is new standards being put on him by his new bosses his consideration of smu makes much more sense. 

Why would you assume that Buzz is against increased academic standards?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2012, 12:26:55 AM »
Why would you assume that Buzz is against increased academic standards?

Why would any coach, who is judged on wins and losses, in an ultra competitive profession, want to be held to a standard higher than 95% of his peers?  Without the horses, even the best coaches aren't able to win at a high rate...you need the talented kids...and if you reduce the talent pool you can recruit from, you are essentially reducing a coaches chances at winning, and thus retaining their job.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

chren21

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2012, 04:19:06 AM »
Why would any coach, who is judged on wins and losses, in an ultra competitive profession, want to be held to a standard higher than 95% of his peers?  Without the horses, even the best coaches aren't able to win at a high rate...you need the talented kids...and if you reduce the talent pool you can recruit from, you are essentially reducing a coaches chances at winning, and thus retaining their job.

Thanks. That answer was pretty obvious, I thought.  
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 04:34:15 AM by chren21 »

chren21

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2012, 04:30:59 AM »
Is this question rhetorical?  Nobody here has verified it, and there hasn't been anything from the school.  This has been  discussed here for weeks.  Maybe (a) WAIT AND SEE IF THIS STUFF ACTUALLY HAPPENS, or (b) email the athletic department?  You seem a bit more desperate to know than most.  

"If... If...I can only imagine."  CLASSIC.  

Sorry I do not read this board from cover to cover.  When I heard this type of talk, yes I was VERY CONCERNED.  I'm not sure if desperate is the right word but I could only assume that the results would be obvious. 

IF BUZZ's bosses have imposed standards on him including new academic standards and other attempts to help him "avoid player issues that end up in the pubic eye" he WILL accept the next quality offer that comes his way.  

I have one last question.  Some of the new top recruits may be arriving for the summer....   I wonder if someone there can verify if they are being allowed to live in Humpfrey hall or not?  If this was already addressed I apologize in advance....
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 04:38:48 AM by chren21 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2012, 06:26:29 AM »
What I really wonder is why anyone thinks there is a correlation between good grades and good behavior.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2012, 06:46:13 AM »
What I really wonder is why anyone thinks there is a correlation between good grades and good behavior.

Well, I'm sure if you look at a given group of 18-22 year old boys, there is a statistical correlation.  However you shouldn't treat individuals as a group.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2012, 06:48:06 AM »

Well, I'm sure if you look at a given group of 18-22 year old boys, there is a statistical correlation.  However you shouldn't treat individuals as a group.

Also, correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2012, 08:03:22 AM »

Exactly.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2012, 08:08:59 AM »
Exactly.

Right...but you specifically said "correlation."

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2012, 08:15:46 AM »
Count me in.   :)

Do I throw in the 3 masters degrees she also earned?......while working and then along came our kids.....and 4.0 in all three.

I did a triathalon yesterday...................

....and in her eighth month she painted the house, using an extension ladder, which she moved herself because MUFIC had to go to town to get a hair cut.  So there!
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2012, 08:19:35 AM »

Right...but you specifically said "correlation."

bahahaha touche, sir.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2012, 09:45:54 AM »

I'll probably get ripped for this, but is there any causation between being good at basketball and having a low GPA?

Is it possible we think this is a big deal, but it really isn't?

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2012, 09:55:08 AM »
+1

He was definitely my biggest concern. I have to think him being back is a good sign, though this whole thing reinforces my belief that he won't be here 4 years. I think as soon as he's a 16+ ppg guy, he's headed to the Draft, even if he comes off the bench (ala Dion Waiters) to get it.

I never expected Mayo to be here 4 years after seeing him play early on last year.  He has good size, good skills, great pedigree (do you know OJ Mayo was his half brother) and is a 21 year old freshmen.  I thought two years tops so yes if he dialed it up another notch this coming year, I would bet it would be his last year here.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2012, 10:32:58 AM »
I'll probably get ripped for this, but is there any causation between being good at basketball and having a low GPA?

"Causation?"  No.  How would being good at basketball cause you to have a low GPA?  Correlation?  Don't know.

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2012, 10:36:16 AM »
Are folks actually saying that the academic standards for basketball players are different than the standards for the rest of athletes....well excuse me but that is just ridiculous. There are athletic standards for the university and the whole university and there are not different standards for one group versus another...I can not believe anyone is actually buying that.

Please Father P and LW understand the value MU basketball brings to this school and Chuck S is a huge supporter of the team and Buzz as well.

Step back from the cliff and let it go....

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2012, 10:39:01 AM »
Are folks actually saying that the academic standards for basketball players are different than the standards for the rest of athletes....well excuse me but that is just ridiculous. There are athletic standards for the university and the whole university and there are not different standards for one group versus another...I can not believe anyone is actually buying that.

Please Father P and LW understand the value MU basketball brings to this school and Chuck S is a huge supporter of the team and Buzz as well.

Where did anyone actually say that?

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2012, 10:42:16 AM »

No, I think folks are speculating that academic standards for all student athletes may have been slightly (and retroactively) increased, which may or may not make it impossible for some student athletes to meet such standards given the grades they already have.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2012, 10:50:48 AM »

"Causation?"  No.  How would being good at basketball cause you to have a low GPA?  Correlation?  Don't know.

Right, I guess I'm just trying to use my best critical thinking skills before I freak out.

If we don't think there is a causation between higher GPA and "behavior", why are we acting like there is a causation between being good at basketball and low GPA?

My gut reaction is that higher standards MIGHT hurt MU's ability to keep good players eligible, but maybe it really won't amount to anything.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2012, 10:52:09 AM »
Please add Big Daddy to the membership of non-tinfoil hat club.   Hell, he should be president.  

Thanks for the voice of reason and reality.  

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2012, 10:55:02 AM »
There seem to be quite a few MUScoopers who couldn't pull off a 3.0 while at Marquette (although, you guys did seem to marry well).

Methinks you should've been Education majors.

*Except for the whole not-make-any-money-after-graduation thing*
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 11:00:28 AM by WI_inferiority_complexes »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2012, 10:56:14 AM »
Please add Big Daddy to the membership of non-tinfoil hat club.   Hell, he should be president.  

Thanks for the voice of reason and reality.  

I don't think anyone has sad that the academic standards are different for bball players. Most times I have seen the topic brought up, it was a change in Athletic Department policy that applied to all athletes, we on this board just happen to be talking more about bball players.

That said, did we have to start another thread about this? Can we just wait till it plays out or something actually happens with another transfer?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2012, 10:57:09 AM »

Is it possible we think this is a big deal, but it really isn't?

I don't know that there is an empirical study that correlates basketball skill to GPA, just like there probably isn't a study linking good gpa and good behavior.  However anecdotaly I think there is plenty of stories of players getting slide through school because of their athletic prowess.

Similarly is there a correlation between GPA and IQ, not necessarily.

All three are bell curves, I think the basketball-gpa curve skews to the left side, the good gpa and good behavior skews to the right, and the GPA and IQ sits in the middle.  The key would be to get enough overlap between the first two curves to give a sizable pool of talent to field a team.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2012, 10:58:48 AM »
I don't think anyone has sad that the academic standards are different for bball players. Most times I have seen the topic brought up, it was a change in Athletic Department policy that applied to all athletes, we on this board just happen to be talking more about bball players.

That said, did we have to start another thread about this? Can we just wait till it plays out or something actually happens with another transfer?

What is so bad about discussing it now?  So some posters get their knickers in a twist, who cares they are the ones that have to carry that stress.  I've never seen or heard a topic so dangerous it could be discussed
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2012, 11:36:33 AM »
I've never seen or heard a topic so dangerous it could be discussed

not sure if youtube videos can be inserted so a link will have to suffice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gpjk_MaCGM

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2012, 11:53:35 AM »
Why would any coach, who is judged on wins and losses, in an ultra competitive profession, want to be held to a standard higher than 95% of his peers?  Without the horses, even the best coaches aren't able to win at a high rate...you need the talented kids...and if you reduce the talent pool you can recruit from, you are essentially reducing a coaches chances at winning, and thus retaining their job.

Who said anything about the 95th percentile?  My question was why would anyone assume that Buzz is against increased academic standards.  It seems that all of the vitriol and vilification of certain parties around here has less to do with thresholds and more to do with principle - the principle being that any increase in academic standards is going to tank MU's basketball program.

Frankly, some of you may be getting your panties in a bunch needlessly if the "academic standards" being discussed have nothing to do with GPA's (or at least not on the magnitude being speculated).  It may have more to do with something as innocuous as new minimum qualifications for tutors.  It may have to do with shifting of study times.  It may have to do with raising the GPA minimum -- by five-hundreths of a point.  Or it may simply have to do with the quality of education that athletes are receiving.

Believe me, I'm all for raising academic standards amongst athletes.  They should be getting the best education possible, and if someone falls behind, I'm all for MU putting the resources in place to catch that person up.

ANYONE can get a 2.0 GPA.  It's a question of how much time does the student put in and what resources are available.  Buzz isn't recruiting guys who have lackadaisical work ethics, so if there is a problem, it's the school's, not the students'.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback