[Today at 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Most Off Beat incident/Event/Aspect in the Annals of Marquette Basketball  (Read 16698 times)

jsglow

• All American
Sounds like a great Dad with impeccable taste.

Yes sir.  To that end, my own daughter insisted on Chili for lunch her Frosh move-in day at Cobeen.  One more 'new beginning' this coming August with my son.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Did Tex Winters invent the Triangle offense at MU in early 1950s?

Goose

• All American
Jsglow
You really hit home with me with your posts. My Dad passed away last summer at age 90 and miss him dearly. He took me to every home game and alto of road games from 1968-1990 and memories to last a lifetime. Before games at Al's joint, which became Goolsby's, to post games at Real or Angelo's. My Dad did not attend college but sent four kids to MU, countless grandkids and has his name on three buildings, including The AL. He was a humble man that loved MU more than words could describe and I inherited his passion for the program.

I was lucky enough to know almost every player and every coach on my lifetime but nothing beat talking MU ball with my Dad. Three years I took him to a game and had courtside seats and we both cried during the National Anthem, my Dad said "Give 'em Hell Al" to me and I knew it was my last game with him. That game beat the Lucas shot, Soviet game, Doc's buzzer beater and every other great one I saw.

Hate to say this, but this really brings some closure in my life and MU ball. My memories of the past are not shared by everyone and probably time to move on.

jsglow

• All American
Jsglow
You really hit home with me with your posts. My Dad passed away last summer at age 90 and miss him dearly. He took me to every home game and alto of road games from 1968-1990 and memories to last a lifetime. Before games at Al's joint, which became Goolsby's, to post games at Real or Angelo's. My Dad did not attend college but sent four kids to MU, countless grandkids and has his name on three buildings, including The AL. He was a humble man that loved MU more than words could describe and I inherited his passion for the program.

I was lucky enough to know almost every player and every coach on my lifetime but nothing beat talking MU ball with my Dad. Three years I took him to a game and had courtside seats and we both cried during the National Anthem, my Dad said "Give 'em Hell Al" to me and I knew it was my last game with him. That game beat the Lucas shot, Soviet game, Doc's buzzer beater and every other great one I saw.

Hate to say this, but this really brings some closure in my life and MU ball. My memories of the past are not shared by everyone and probably time to move on.

Never give up the memories Goose.

Blackhat

• All American
Good stories jsglow and goose.   Old man's a badger but I take him to one game a year.  Best game of the year.

sailwi

• All American
I may be getting too old and can't remember everything these days but was the Soviet game the first game Al did as analyst for NBC.  I know for the first few games Al was in a room in arena and watched the game on a monitor and they would cut to him on occasion to give insight.  Enberg said on a number of occasions about the second game they figured out Al had great insight and needed to be on the court and not in a back room.

I was a junior at MU for the Soviet game and don't remember much of the game or much these days unless I write it down.

jsglow

• All American
I may be getting too old and can't remember everything these days but was the Soviet game the first game Al did as analyst for NBC.  I know for the first few games Al was in a room in arena and watched the game on a monitor and they would cut to him on occasion to give insight.  Enberg said on a number of occasions about the second game they figured out Al had great insight and needed to be on the court and not in a back room.

I was a junior at MU for the Soviet game and don't remember much of the game or much these days unless I write it down.

Nope.  It was his last year as head coach.  I believe he announced his retirement effective the end of the year in either December or January.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Nope.  It was his last year as head coach. 

I don't think so. 

11-2-1975 Marquette 67 – USSR 56
Ludum habemus.

Da 'Lanche

• All American
If you want off-beat...Majerus taking a dump in a towel and handing it to a student trainer would probably be right up there....

Basketball related....I was at MU from 84-88 (hard now to believe that was only 7 years  removed on the front end from a national championship and the program was spiraling down so badly).    Freshman year and sophomore year the team was talented enough to make the tournament but could never pull it together (highlighted by a near win over #1 UNC at the MECCA).   On to the bizarre....by 1987-88 the team was near division iii level in talent and we got to witness a wild bench clearing brawl against Northwestern of all schools.   Joe Nethen, Anthony Candelino...other "traditionals" from the all star wrestling world (not college basketball) having it out on the court with punches thrown, benches cleared including an MU player ( I think it was Tony Reeder?) who had a knee injury running on the court waiving his crutches around as if they were a weapon.    I think Dukiet soiled himself instead of the towel ala Majerus.  It is possible the Mecca was only half full and not a sell out because several of us  were seeing double due to wonderfully cheap keg of red white and blue that we had managed to kill before gametime.   

God we sucked by my senior year.   

warthog-driver

• All American
Butch Lee playing for the Puerto Rican National team at the 1976 Olympics. Almost beat the US team coached by Dean Smith. Smith had about 5 guys from UNC on that squad as well as a number from other ACC schools, snubbing a lot of more deserving players. I would count Butch Lee in that category.

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/national/moly_1976.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/summer/1976/BAS/mens-basketball.html

The USA's quest for the gold was nearly thwarted by a Puerto Rican team led by Marquette University's Butch Lee. Lee, a New Yorker who was born in Puerto Rico, made the Puerto Rican Olympic team only after failing to be invited to the USA Olympic Trials. Trying his best to make the U.S. pay for its oversight, Lee scored 35 points on 15-for-18 shooting from the field to help lead a gutsy Puerto Rican team in its near upset of the U.S. squad. Tied 51-51 at half, the game remained a tight affair until the end. With the U.S. ahead 93-92 and eight seconds remaining, Puerto Rico's dream of the monumental upset ended when Lee was called for a charge. Phil Ford hit a pair of free throws and the U.S. held on for a 95-94 victory. Ford finished with 20 points and Kupchak added 19.

dgies9156

• All American
The game was played on 11/1/76 at 12:01 am.  The background story is that the dreaded Soviet team was beginning a post-Olympic North American tour of 4-6 big time college programs.  The tight schedule called for them to open the series against MU on Halloween night but by NCAA rules MU was prohibited from playing until November, hence the midnight start 'the next day'.  I was 15 years old and in attendance with my late father, himself a '57 grad.  At the other end of the Milwaukee Arena, thousands of MU kids were in costume, having spent the entire evening pre-gaming.  It was a sight to behold.  I know current university administrators who were part of that throng but will protect their anonymity now that they are Dr. WhatsTheirName.

At that moment, I KNEW where I was going to school.  The image remains crystal clear.

And MU won that not so friendly exhibition and went on to capture the national championship later that season.  And the first ever Midnight Madness had occurred thanks to Coach Al.

I was at the Soviet game and it may have been the greatest game I saw at the Arena. I too was a junior at Marquette that night.  MU was playing the vaunted Soviet Olympic team and yes, Al was the head coach. We absolutely drilled those commies -- they never knew what hit them. We destroyed them and we went home late that night knowing we had something special. Five months later, we did... it was a great team and we knew that our talent was world class.

dgies9156

• All American
The USA's quest for the gold was nearly thwarted by a Puerto Rican team led by Marquette University's Butch Lee. Lee, a New Yorker who was born in Puerto Rico, made the Puerto Rican Olympic team only after failing to be invited to the USA Olympic Trials. Trying his best to make the U.S. pay for its oversight, Lee scored 35 points on 15-for-18 shooting from the field to help lead a gutsy Puerto Rican team in its near upset of the U.S. squad. Tied 51-51 at half, the game remained a tight affair until the end. With the U.S. ahead 93-92 and eight seconds remaining, Puerto Rico's dream of the monumental upset ended when Lee was called for a charge. Phil Ford hit a pair of free throws and the U.S. held on for a 95-94 victory. Ford finished with 20 points and Kupchak added 19.

I believe Butch got even about seven months later!

jsglow

• All American
I was at the Soviet game and it may have been the greatest game I saw at the Arena. I too was a junior at Marquette that night.  MU was playing the vaunted Soviet Olympic team and yes, Al was the head coach. We absolutely drilled those commies -- they never knew what hit them. We destroyed them and we went home late that night knowing we had something special. Five months later, we did... it was a great team and we knew that our talent was world class.

So I have my year correct?  I was just doing some internet surfing to see if I could find the actual record of the game.  I do know that the Russians toured other years as well but I believe this was their first trip.

jsglow

• All American
Looks like it was '75.  Story remains the same except that it was even further past my bedtime!

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Looks like it was '75.  Story remains the same except that it was even further past my bedtime!
Now I'm not certain.  I'm thinking perhaps MU played the Soviets in both 75 and 76.
Ludum habemus.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
If you want off-beat...Majerus taking a dump in a towel and handing it to a student trainer would probably be right up there....

Basketball related....I was at MU from 84-88 (hard now to believe that was only 7 years  removed on the front end from a national championship and the program was spiraling down so badly).    Freshman year and sophomore year the team was talented enough to make the tournament but could never pull it together (highlighted by a near win over #1 UNC at the MECCA).   On to the bizarre....by 1987-88 the team was near division iii level in talent and we got to witness a wild bench clearing brawl against Northwestern of all schools.   Joe Nethen, Anthony Candelino...other "traditionals" from the all star wrestling world (not college basketball) having it out on the court with punches thrown, benches cleared including an MU player ( I think it was Tony Reeder?) who had a knee injury running on the court waiving his crutches around as if they were a weapon.    I think Dukiet soiled himself instead of the towel ala Majerus.  It is possible the Mecca was only half full and not a sell out because several of us  were seeing double due to wonderfully cheap keg of red white and blue that we had managed to kill before gametime.   

God we sucked by my senior year.   

Except it didn't happen at MU.  Utah, I think.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Most of these are well-known but I will offer them anyway:

1) Al celebrating a win over Wisconsin in front of Old Man Hughes, who flipped him off.
2) Al taking on the NCAA in March 1977 after a narrow win against Cincinnati or Kansas State.
3) Al's two technicals in the Marquette/North Carolina State National Championship game in 1974.
4) Al responding to being called "son" by Adolph Rupp by calling Rupp "pops," demanding to be put in Rupp's will then storming off a live television show and going out and kicking Kentucky back to Lexington in 1968.
5) The South Carolina fight -- the moment that made Marquette the tough, nasty school it was.
6) Al telling Father Raynor at contract time, "you took the vow of poverty, Father... I didn't."
7) Buzz dancing at mid-court against West Virginia after beating the Huggie Bear.
8) Digger slipping Al a package of mustard when they shook hands (or vice versa).

The South Carolina fight was a fascinating game. Al's teams didn't take crap off of anyone and South Carolina was no exception. We were watching the game on a Sunday afternoon when my refined, elegant Mother called us all to dinner. The TV came in with us in one of the few times she allowed a television in HER dining room. Then the fight broke out and Mom was horrified. Dad and I were cheering on our guys as the fight broke out. After all, they were our guys and OUR Marquette -- even though I wasn't going to show up on campus for a couple of years.

The double technical fouls were probably the only time in NCAA Tournament history a coach ever had two technical fouls in the same game! Al's were seconds apart and there are some that think that might have cost us our first national title. But Al was Al and you rode the horse that got you there... oh and BTW, we lost because David Thompson was the first incaration of Michael Jordan.

I can only imagine what would happen on these boards if Buzz got two technical fouls in 30 seconds. For shame, for shame, for shame.... it'scarey what some of the folks here today would say. The good news -- I would love it, especially if Marquette ended up winning!!!!!

At the press conference after the Kansas State game, McGuire went into a 15 minute tirade saying that NCAA tournament officials had to be "brainwashed" before his games to expect him to commit technicals since he was given a technical during the game when he made a choke gesture "to tell his team that Kansas State was tightening up."  "Guy calls a technical foul on me when I'm talking to the team, and the only way the guy can do it is because subconsciously he's been told..."

The vow of poverty line wasn't said to Fr. Raynor, nor was it said at contract time.  Al got an offer to coach the Milwaukee Bucks, but MU wouldn't let him out of his contract, so he couldn't take it.  Al then made a comment along the line that "the Jesuits act like I took a vow of poverty too."
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:38:24 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Jsglow

Too Soon The Sun Sets In The West.
Ludum habemus.

warthog-driver

• All American
Al calling a time out so Larry McNeil could go up into the stands to stop a fight between his wife and a fan who was heckling Larry.

More than anything else this might capture the spirit of those old Warrior teams. This is absolutley priceless. You could not make this shyte up.

warthog-driver

• All American
Jsglow

Never let go of that which has true meaning.

warthog-driver

• All American
Anyone remember Lloyd Walton arguing with Al as he would bring the ball upcourt? This happened several times and there was a lot of emotion coming from both Al and Lucky Lloyd. Walton would actually stop moving forward and stand there yelling at Al.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:48:28 PM by warthog-driver »

warthog-driver

• All American
We opened the season against the Sovs once. After that we always opened against Athletes in Action (a Christian team of former college players) or Marathon Oil. I never figured out why an oil company needed a hoops team. Evidently those amateur teams went away due to an NCAA ruling against them.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2004/12/crossed_off.html

Goose

• All American
Sir Lawrence
Thanks. Indeed it does!!!,

Goose

• All American
Warthog
Lucky Lloyd and Al going at during play was the best. Watching Lloyd stop by Al and jac jack him was priceless. Also,used to love Lloyd's hand slapping during introductions. He was helluva of a player and let Al know it.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American

That's a relief because I was a freshman in 1976 and had NO RECALL of the USSR game when you first mentioned the date and I know I would have gone to it! Sounds like it was a great time.