[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: *Breaking* DJ is coming back!!!  (Read 11392 times)

muguru

• All American
*Breaking* DJ is coming back!!!
« on: June 17, 2007, 02:08:41 PM »
He made a well thought out informed decision. Most of all, he made the RIGHT decision.

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=2&date=6/17/2007&id=25165
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

wardle2wade

• All American
JS: James withdraws, coming back to MU
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 02:09:44 PM »
Looks like we got DJ back.

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=6/17/2007&id=25165

SUNDAY, June 17, 2007, 1:15 p.m.
By Todd Rosiak

MU's James pulls out of NBA draft
As expected, Marquette Golden Eagles guard Dominic James said on Sunday afternoon that he will pull his name out of the National Basketball Association draft and return to school for his junior year.

"I still feel the same way, that it's a win-win," James said. "My outlook is completely positive. I discussed it over with my family, and it's the best thing for me. I had an assessment from the GMs and scouts and all that but I feel like the most important assessment was the assessment of myself.

"You've got to be honest with yourself throughout this entire process because it's my career. I feel like another year of college, or maybe even two, will set me up for the future."

James, who had until Monday afternoon to make his decision, said he had been leaning toward returning to MU for some time.

"I've known in my heart for a while now, after my workouts and stuff like that," he said. "I didn't feel like my game wasn't there; I just felt like I had a few things I need to work on, and I didn't want to put my career in jeopardy by making a decision that wasn't right for me."

James' hopes of turning pro took a hit early on when he wasn't one of 58 initial invitees to the NBA pre-draft camp. He ultimately earned a spot as an alternate but didn't perform overly well, which didn't help his cause.

James spoke with the head of the NBA's underclassmen advisory committee, Stu Jackson, earlier in the week. He had been projected as being either a late second-round pick or going undrafted altogether.

"That's their job - to be honest with the players," said James of the reports he received. "That's why it's such a great league, because they look out for the best interests of the players that are trying to be a part of it. They tell players what they need to get better at, and a fair assessment of their game, and that's what they gave me.

"I don't look at it in a bad way, I just look at it as a chance to get better. That's what my whole life has been, taking some type of adversity and turning it into a positive."

The return of the 5-foot-11 James, a first team all-Big East performer last season, figures to be a huge boon for MU.

The Golden Eagles now return their top eight players from last year's 24-10 NCAA tournament team and figure not only to be ranked in the top 15 in the pre-season, but also to be in a position to compete for a Big East championship and another run at the post-season.

James averaged a team-high 14.9 points and 4.9 assists per game last season.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
Re: JS: James withdraws, coming back to MU
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 02:25:54 PM »
Great news... now let's focus on winning the Big East!!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 02:48:34 PM »
Can someone shed some light on the scholarship situation? As I understand it, we have four incoming recruits with only three open schollies.

Will someone redshirt? Christopherson?
SS Marquette

bma725

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 03:03:19 PM »
Can someone shed some light on the scholarship situation? As I understand it, we have four incoming recruits with only three open schollies.

Will someone redshirt? Christopherson?

Redshirting still counts as using a scholarship.  There's basically two options barring the NCAA changing the scholarship limit, either Blackledge isn't coming back or one of the four recruits isn't going to qualify academically.

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 03:04:10 PM »
double post

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
Welcome back, DJ. You're making a wise decision.
Don't know what happens with the scholarships, but I certainly hope Trevor qualifies.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 03:14:14 PM »
My guess is that Trend will not be back at MU.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Murffieus

• All American
Re: *Breaking* DJ is coming back!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 04:00:35 PM »
Seems on the surface as good news------but there is now a glut of guards, which leaves two questions------how does this impact recruiting and what about transfer rumors?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 05:23:08 PM »
Seems on the surface as good news------but there is now a glut of guards, which leaves two questions------how does this impact recruiting and what about transfer rumors?

seems like you are the one with transfer rumors so far.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 05:24:29 PM »
How will this affect recruiting? Are you serious? Not a damn bit. DJ will be going pro after next year, anyway, and Nick's coming in until that fall.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 06:56:33 PM »
This is the least surprising article I've ever read.     Not many teams long for a PG that shoots 60% from the line.   

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 07:14:54 PM »
Despite Murf's idiotic comments about this creating transfers, this is good news.

I hope that DJ plays with the right frame of mind this season and plays to his potential.  This should help Marquette to have a legitimate shot at a deep tournament run next year.  NOthing would help DJ's stock more than leading his team to a run in the NCAA's

Thanks DJ for coming back and making the right decision.  Do us a favor and play like you did freshman year, and continue to represent yourself and MU well on and off the court, and the sky is the limit for you.

Good news, and should be great for us next year.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 07:36:32 PM »

The way I see it by Williams Sophomore year he will be one of four guards.  Is that a glut??  By that definition we had a glut of forwards this year.
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 08:03:59 PM »
I am also announcing I am no longer a candidate for the NBA draft. The difference is I'm a better shooter than James. 

SGWarrior

• Starter
  • "I'm a winning guy."
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 08:09:25 PM »
Great news!  I'm looking forward to watching DJ and this Marquette team next year.  Its going to be a fun and exciting year.  Lets focus on winning that Big East title.

Man, its not that often I can get really excited for the upcoming season.  Up next on tap is season ticket holder reseating followed by the schedule release.  I can't wait.

As far as the scholarship situation goes, I'm hoping for no transfers.  I love the guard depth.  What's the situation with Fitzgerald?  There were rumors he may pay his own way.

ilovefreeway

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2007, 08:34:19 PM »
I am also announcing I am no longer a candidate for the NBA draft. The difference is I'm a better shooter than James. 

where's the ignore button

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2007, 09:09:36 PM »
I regularly ignore PRN and a few others.  Negativism for the sake of negativism is simply bad business.  Better to ignore than to respond or react.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2007, 09:17:12 PM »

link to prove it?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 01:00:21 AM »
look forward to Hayward and Fitz having much better seasons.  DJ, Wes and Mcsteal doing their thing.  Barro being huge.  Cube improving and making an impact.  And those Frosh - with great potential.  This could be a memorable season and our most loaded team in recent memory.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 07:38:13 AM »
I would highly doubt Blackledge will be eligible.  Talk was when DJ was just beginning all this draft nonsense that we'd have an extra scholly since Blackledge would most likely not return to play. Now we have just enough players for our scholarships.  With DJ back, my guess would be Christopherson gets redshirted since we have a plethera of guards and more than enough to run the point w/o Christopherson needing to waste a year of eligibility sitting on the bench.

DAtruth

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 07:54:39 AM »
prn..me2..its the 4.2/4.3 second 40 yd dash and 40 inch vertical thats killing me!!

in the end i have to tip my cap to dj for a hand well played...he wasnt even going to be invited to the orlando camp until he stepped up and said, he was in til the end..was a fact finding mission and i hope a successful 1 at that..how many guys get to pick the minds of decision makers..i wonder what kind of advice he got on his jumper/technique and i hope it pays off for MU, NOW..  1 thing i got out of this was the fact that i under estimated his speed..fastest at orlando camp..and there was/ possibly still is something wrong with his leg..thats a prob i want to hear more about

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 08:43:33 AM »
I think the majority of fans are glad that he's back, but we are all concerned because of DJs actions.

First, he looked like a shell of himself last season from the Duke game on (honors not withstanding). Second, it seemed like he was doing everything he could to give himself an out at MU and he's still coming back. Lastly, his jump shots were just terrible last year.

Since I believe this is McNeal's team, it will be interesting to see how things go as the players sort out who the alpha dog is. I think MU can be sweet next year considering their top 8 guys are coming back.

I think the concerns people have about DJ worrying about DJ first, and the team second are valid. We won't know until December. So expect to see a lot of fence-sitting regarding DJ.

As he's shown, he's got a ton of athleticism and he's already been a very good player, albeit not a complete well-rounded one. That said, his return could be a huge springboard for both him and the team if he (and Crean) play their cards right.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
Hear, Hear, Niv
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 08:57:39 AM »
It is a good thing that DJ is coming back to Marquette.  It will be a great thing if he comes back with the right game and mindset and doesn't play like he did in the second half of the season.

I hope that he realizes that if the team does well next year, his stock will rise in the draft.  Shooting and missing 3 after 3 will not get him there. 

I also hope that DJ looks at this year as not another audition for the NBA, but a chance to improve himself as a player and help the team.

I am confident that he will do that, and MU will have a potentially great team next year.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2007, 08:59:47 AM »

Thanks for ignoring my post by responding to it. NukeEm, too.

feedback