[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More info on James' decision from Rosiak...interesting and encouraging quotes  (Read 1682 times)

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
This is another good piece from Rosiak.  Also, James' quotes appear to confirm what some of us have been saying about his struggles last year, and also, are very encouraging about him and his mindset going into this year.

SUNDAY, June 17, 2007, 11:18 p.m.

More on James' return
While discussing on Sunday his decision to withdraw from the NBA draft and return to MU, Dominic James admitted some of his struggles last season came as a result of his looking ahead.

"You can't rush it. I feel like that's where a lot of players make trouble, trying to make it in and things like that," he said. "I feel like my game kind of wavered when I started thinking about it way too much. That's what I've learned - that you've just got to let it happen. You really can't think about it. If it's meant to be, it's going to happen.

"My goal right now is to win a national championship, and with the players that we've got right now and the type of attitude and work ethic that we have, I feel like that's a goal that can be accomplished."

When asked what he needed to improve on specifically, James cited his point-guard play.

"I think more than anything, I've just got to have more of a point-guard mentality," he said. "I'm not going to completely change my game because my game has gotten me to where I'm at right now. This year as a point guard I've probably got to work on my decision making a little more. I've shown I can knock down shots. More than anything it's just increasing my basketball IQ and doing that should have a positive effect on all areas of my game.

"I feel like we've had two solid years, two NCAA bids," he said. "I'm just going to come back and work on the things that I've learned and know that I need to improve on."

Coach Tom Crean believes James' attempt at testing the NBA waters should serve him well in his development as a player.

"You've got a guy now that has gone through a tremendous experience that will only make him better if applied the right way, and I'm really confident that he will," he said. "He'll come back with a real understanding of what that level is about and what it takes to get there, and with the focus of becoming the best point guard in the country and helping us win a ton of games."

As far as potential attitude problems stemming from his failed initial bid to become an NBA player, James said there would be none.

"I've always been coachable and I've always been a student of the game and willing to learn," he said. "I had the dream of going to the NBA, but I'm going to go back and play for my team, play for my coach and play for the fans. The rest of the people I really don't care about."

Coach Tom Crean said a full slate of activities that include a handful of full practices later this week in preparation of the team's Labor Day trip to Vancouver, being a counselor at LeBron James' Nike basketball camp and making a run at USA Basketball's Pan Am Games team will help James keep his focus.

"The biggest thing for him is that there's a lot of things right now that are in close vision," he said. "He's going to get a chance to go right back at it and compete at a high level. I'd be more worried if it was just a sit-around summer, or be one where he didn't have anything that he was looking forward to in the very near future.

"Plus he's going to be right back in front of the NBA people again. So I think that's going to be very good motivation right there."

James' return will also lead to some changes in the way MU plays next season.

"I know we want to turn up our speed on defense, especially with the guard that we're going to have and the athleticism we're going to have on the front line," said Crean. "There's a lot of things we want to do better offensively, but we also want to have more impact and individual integrity with everybody defensively - not only guarding your position but where we're able to really get up and get after people.

"More full-court pressure, just wearing the other team's backcourt out, because we're going to have guys that are going to need to play. I don't think that's going to be a problem if we can play at the pace we want to play at, especially on the defensive end."

CWSKeith

• Starter
"I know we want to turn up our speed on defense, especially with the guard that we're going to have and the athleticism we're going to have on the front line," said Crean. "There's a lot of things we want to do better offensively, but we also want to have more impact and individual integrity with everybody defensively - not only guarding your position but where we're able to really get up and get after people.

"More full-court pressure, just wearing the other team's backcourt out, because we're going to have guys that are going to need to play. I don't think that's going to be a problem if we can play at the pace we want to play at, especially on the defensive end."

This is encouraging -- I hope Crean follows through on these quotes so we can visibly see Marquette playing a more up-tempo style this season.  I feel that with this group, Marquette should be trying to (literally) run teams out of the gym -- push the ball down the floor on offense, and play a high-intensity style of defense.  Marquette shouldn't be the team trying to 'slow things down'.  Obviously there are certain times in a game or even certain teams during a season where you'll need to slow things down and run multiple sets, but I'll be dissappointed if some changes aren't implemented into MU's offense this season.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
No doubt about it, this team is loaded with talent... hopefully the younger guys (frosh. and sophs) develop quickly into contributers. If they do... WATCH OUT... this team will have a legitimate chance at winning the Big East and getting a #1 seed.

Also, this might be the deepest roster we have seen under Crean, so I do expect a lot of pressing and trapping (provided that the young guys can learn the scheme quick enough). I think a 10 man rotation of regulars is not out of the question. Hell, our 2nd 5 is pretty good when you look at it... and if those guys can come off the bench and understand their role... this is going to be a fun year.

Ooz, Burke, hazel/saunders(spot minutes)
Hayward, Mbawke, hazel/Saunders(spot minutes)
Wes, Fitz
McNeal, Cubillan, Christopherson(spot minutes or redshirt)
James, Acker, Christopherson(spot minutes or redshirt)

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
This year will test whether Crean can truly adapt his offensive system to suit his personnel.  We will have the ability to run people out of the stadium, and we better do so.  Half-court is good for some situations, but with our athleticism and depth, we need to push, push, push on both ends.

It certainly is nice to have options with personnel and strategy, isn't it?

The days of Polonowski dunking in his own basket are long gone.

Nukem2

• All American
I suspect that our running will be triggered by the defense.  I suspect our guys will set a new team record for deflections (and, hopefully, steals )?