[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: *Breaking* DJ is coming back!!!  (Read 11472 times)

muguru

• All American
*Breaking* DJ is coming back!!!
« on: June 17, 2007, 02:08:41 PM »
He made a well thought out informed decision. Most of all, he made the RIGHT decision.

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=2&date=6/17/2007&id=25165
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

wardle2wade

• All American
JS: James withdraws, coming back to MU
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 02:09:44 PM »
Looks like we got DJ back.

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=6/17/2007&id=25165

SUNDAY, June 17, 2007, 1:15 p.m.
By Todd Rosiak

MU's James pulls out of NBA draft
As expected, Marquette Golden Eagles guard Dominic James said on Sunday afternoon that he will pull his name out of the National Basketball Association draft and return to school for his junior year.

"I still feel the same way, that it's a win-win," James said. "My outlook is completely positive. I discussed it over with my family, and it's the best thing for me. I had an assessment from the GMs and scouts and all that but I feel like the most important assessment was the assessment of myself.

"You've got to be honest with yourself throughout this entire process because it's my career. I feel like another year of college, or maybe even two, will set me up for the future."

James, who had until Monday afternoon to make his decision, said he had been leaning toward returning to MU for some time.

"I've known in my heart for a while now, after my workouts and stuff like that," he said. "I didn't feel like my game wasn't there; I just felt like I had a few things I need to work on, and I didn't want to put my career in jeopardy by making a decision that wasn't right for me."

James' hopes of turning pro took a hit early on when he wasn't one of 58 initial invitees to the NBA pre-draft camp. He ultimately earned a spot as an alternate but didn't perform overly well, which didn't help his cause.

James spoke with the head of the NBA's underclassmen advisory committee, Stu Jackson, earlier in the week. He had been projected as being either a late second-round pick or going undrafted altogether.

"That's their job - to be honest with the players," said James of the reports he received. "That's why it's such a great league, because they look out for the best interests of the players that are trying to be a part of it. They tell players what they need to get better at, and a fair assessment of their game, and that's what they gave me.

"I don't look at it in a bad way, I just look at it as a chance to get better. That's what my whole life has been, taking some type of adversity and turning it into a positive."

The return of the 5-foot-11 James, a first team all-Big East performer last season, figures to be a huge boon for MU.

The Golden Eagles now return their top eight players from last year's 24-10 NCAA tournament team and figure not only to be ranked in the top 15 in the pre-season, but also to be in a position to compete for a Big East championship and another run at the post-season.

James averaged a team-high 14.9 points and 4.9 assists per game last season.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
Re: JS: James withdraws, coming back to MU
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 02:25:54 PM »
Great news... now let's focus on winning the Big East!!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 02:48:34 PM »
Can someone shed some light on the scholarship situation? As I understand it, we have four incoming recruits with only three open schollies.

Will someone redshirt? Christopherson?
SS Marquette

bma725

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 03:03:19 PM »
Can someone shed some light on the scholarship situation? As I understand it, we have four incoming recruits with only three open schollies.

Will someone redshirt? Christopherson?

Redshirting still counts as using a scholarship.  There's basically two options barring the NCAA changing the scholarship limit, either Blackledge isn't coming back or one of the four recruits isn't going to qualify academically.

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 03:04:10 PM »
double post

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
Welcome back, DJ. You're making a wise decision.
Don't know what happens with the scholarships, but I certainly hope Trevor qualifies.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 03:14:14 PM »
My guess is that Trend will not be back at MU.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Murffieus

• All American
Re: *Breaking* DJ is coming back!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 04:00:35 PM »
Seems on the surface as good news------but there is now a glut of guards, which leaves two questions------how does this impact recruiting and what about transfer rumors?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 05:23:08 PM »
Seems on the surface as good news------but there is now a glut of guards, which leaves two questions------how does this impact recruiting and what about transfer rumors?

seems like you are the one with transfer rumors so far.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 05:24:29 PM »
How will this affect recruiting? Are you serious? Not a damn bit. DJ will be going pro after next year, anyway, and Nick's coming in until that fall.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 06:56:33 PM »
This is the least surprising article I've ever read.     Not many teams long for a PG that shoots 60% from the line.   

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 07:14:54 PM »
Despite Murf's idiotic comments about this creating transfers, this is good news.

I hope that DJ plays with the right frame of mind this season and plays to his potential.  This should help Marquette to have a legitimate shot at a deep tournament run next year.  NOthing would help DJ's stock more than leading his team to a run in the NCAA's

Thanks DJ for coming back and making the right decision.  Do us a favor and play like you did freshman year, and continue to represent yourself and MU well on and off the court, and the sky is the limit for you.

Good news, and should be great for us next year.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 07:36:32 PM »

The way I see it by Williams Sophomore year he will be one of four guards.  Is that a glut??  By that definition we had a glut of forwards this year.
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 08:03:59 PM »
I am also announcing I am no longer a candidate for the NBA draft. The difference is I'm a better shooter than James. 

SGWarrior

• Starter
  • "I'm a winning guy."
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 08:09:25 PM »
Great news!  I'm looking forward to watching DJ and this Marquette team next year.  Its going to be a fun and exciting year.  Lets focus on winning that Big East title.

Man, its not that often I can get really excited for the upcoming season.  Up next on tap is season ticket holder reseating followed by the schedule release.  I can't wait.

As far as the scholarship situation goes, I'm hoping for no transfers.  I love the guard depth.  What's the situation with Fitzgerald?  There were rumors he may pay his own way.

ilovefreeway

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2007, 08:34:19 PM »
I am also announcing I am no longer a candidate for the NBA draft. The difference is I'm a better shooter than James. 

where's the ignore button

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2007, 09:09:36 PM »
I regularly ignore PRN and a few others.  Negativism for the sake of negativism is simply bad business.  Better to ignore than to respond or react.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2007, 09:17:12 PM »

link to prove it?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 01:00:21 AM »
look forward to Hayward and Fitz having much better seasons.  DJ, Wes and Mcsteal doing their thing.  Barro being huge.  Cube improving and making an impact.  And those Frosh - with great potential.  This could be a memorable season and our most loaded team in recent memory.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 07:38:13 AM »
I would highly doubt Blackledge will be eligible.  Talk was when DJ was just beginning all this draft nonsense that we'd have an extra scholly since Blackledge would most likely not return to play. Now we have just enough players for our scholarships.  With DJ back, my guess would be Christopherson gets redshirted since we have a plethera of guards and more than enough to run the point w/o Christopherson needing to waste a year of eligibility sitting on the bench.

DAtruth

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 07:54:39 AM »
prn..me2..its the 4.2/4.3 second 40 yd dash and 40 inch vertical thats killing me!!

in the end i have to tip my cap to dj for a hand well played...he wasnt even going to be invited to the orlando camp until he stepped up and said, he was in til the end..was a fact finding mission and i hope a successful 1 at that..how many guys get to pick the minds of decision makers..i wonder what kind of advice he got on his jumper/technique and i hope it pays off for MU, NOW..  1 thing i got out of this was the fact that i under estimated his speed..fastest at orlando camp..and there was/ possibly still is something wrong with his leg..thats a prob i want to hear more about

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 08:43:33 AM »
I think the majority of fans are glad that he's back, but we are all concerned because of DJs actions.

First, he looked like a shell of himself last season from the Duke game on (honors not withstanding). Second, it seemed like he was doing everything he could to give himself an out at MU and he's still coming back. Lastly, his jump shots were just terrible last year.

Since I believe this is McNeal's team, it will be interesting to see how things go as the players sort out who the alpha dog is. I think MU can be sweet next year considering their top 8 guys are coming back.

I think the concerns people have about DJ worrying about DJ first, and the team second are valid. We won't know until December. So expect to see a lot of fence-sitting regarding DJ.

As he's shown, he's got a ton of athleticism and he's already been a very good player, albeit not a complete well-rounded one. That said, his return could be a huge springboard for both him and the team if he (and Crean) play their cards right.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
Hear, Hear, Niv
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 08:57:39 AM »
It is a good thing that DJ is coming back to Marquette.  It will be a great thing if he comes back with the right game and mindset and doesn't play like he did in the second half of the season.

I hope that he realizes that if the team does well next year, his stock will rise in the draft.  Shooting and missing 3 after 3 will not get him there. 

I also hope that DJ looks at this year as not another audition for the NBA, but a chance to improve himself as a player and help the team.

I am confident that he will do that, and MU will have a potentially great team next year.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2007, 08:59:47 AM »

Thanks for ignoring my post by responding to it. NukeEm, too.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2007, 09:34:35 AM »

Thanks for ignoring my post by responding to it. NukeEm, too.

Just what you wanted, I'm sure.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2007, 10:03:03 AM »
I think the majority of fans are glad that he's back, but we are all concerned because of DJs actions.

First, he looked like a shell of himself last season from the Duke game on (honors not withstanding). Second, it seemed like he was doing everything he could to give himself an out at MU and he's still coming back. Lastly, his jump shots were just terrible last year.

While I won't dispute that DJ didn't play up to expectations last year, this is yet another example of of how unreasonably hyper-critical fans are of him around here.
A shell from the Duke game on?
How about him single-handedly winning the game at Valpo?
How about him winning the game at Pitt last year, which ended up as MU's biggest win of the season?
How about the huge performance (21 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 steals) in the nationally televised win over West Virginia?
How about 10 assists to 1 turnover in the other nationally televised win over Pitt (allowing MU to become the only Big East team to score 70 points on Pitt last year). With McNeal out that game, DJ's defense helped hold Pitt's guards to 7-for-34 shooting that night.

Sheesh, some of you guys are too much. DJ is the best player on the team and Marquette will be much better in 2007-08 because he is returning. Anyone fence-sitting over this is a fool.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2007, 10:50:43 AM »
Great post Pakuni.

Some of the posts on this boards would be laughable if they were not truly sad.  "we will be better if Dj decides to help the team and not auditon". 
One of the best or saddest depending on how you look at it isOZMetal's classic..."next year if he comes back no one will recognize DJ...and will say he sucks"...yet now he is happy that he is returning?! qualified only is he plays the way Ozmetal thinks he should. 
Give me a break you clowns.  DJ is the best or second best player on the team.  You can arguae about who is the best all you want.  Bototm line is crean gets fired if he does not win...and winnign got alot harder joining the BE.  Crean is smart enough that if DJ hurt the team more than he helped it he would not play.   MAybe NIv and OZ should put together there thoughts and sit DJ and Crean down so DJ can actaully help Mu not hurt them....well at least since the Duke game when DJ went to the dark side. 
OZ I have said on numerous occasions you are either ignorant or a plain $%#@* , I am starting to lean away from ignorant

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
Good lord, Harrison, get your quotes straight
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2007, 11:23:01 AM »
I never said that next year if he comes back that no one will recognize him and that he will suck.  That was 77ncaachamps.

Get your facts right before you start calling people ignorant.  Man, you are tiresome.

I love how you single me out when I am one of scores of people on both boards who criticized DJ's play in the second half, and also criticized his entering the draft.  People have said a lot worse about DJ than I have, yet, you like to attack me personally and toss the insults around.

I don't know what I did to piss in your Cheerio's, but man you are sad.  But, I guess personally attacking me through the safety of an internet message board makes you feel like a big man.

Get a grip, and a life.  People differ with you on DJ.  Don't throw around insults and quotes that are incorrect. 

I think DJ is the second-best player on the team.  I think that he was bad in the second half of the season.  You disagree, fine. 

Whatever your hard-on is for insulting me and singling my posts out, fine.  You are not the God of basketball knowledge.

Why don't you attack PRN for his crack about that he can shoot better than James? 

I'm not playing your game any more.  You are a perfect example of why the ignore button is needed.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2007, 11:29:03 AM »
First of all, I'd like to start by saying, let's not be Madison here w/ our bashing of fellow posters.  We almost all have differing viewpoints about how DJ played last year. While he did have some very bright moments during the conference season, he also shot a dismal percent from the field. His defensive numbers, assists/turnover % was better but he did shoot terrible very often.  So in a sense, almost everyone is at least a little right and you're also a little wrong.  This is why we DISCUSS. We all see the game a little differently and I for one am very happy he is back. His defense and vision on the court is a great thing for MU to have but he also needs to work on his shooting and his shot selection to be as good as I think he can be.  That being said, I'm definitely looking forward to next season and think we have a really good chance to battle G-Town for the top spot in conference.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2007, 11:34:35 AM »

I think the concerns people have about DJ worrying about DJ first, and the team second are valid. We won't know until December. So expect to see a lot of fence-sitting regarding DJ.

I personally don't have any concerns over DJ worrying about DJ first.  It sounds like the knock on DJ from the NBA evaluators is that he needs to improve his PG skills.  That in and of its self means that he needs to think about the team first and run the team the way it should be run.  In other words, play more like Nash (team concept) and less like Marbury (stat stuffer).  

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2007, 11:38:53 AM »

I personally don't have any concerns over DJ worrying about DJ first.  It sounds like the knock on DJ from the NBA evaluators is that he needs to improve his PG skills.  That in and of its self means that he needs to think about the team first and run the team the way it should be run.  In other words, play more like Nash (team concept) and less like Marbury (stat stuffer).  

That's what I told one of my coworkers earlier today.  If his shot gets better and more consistant, he plays like a lesser version of Nash.  His athleticism and passing is very good and if the decision making, shot, and leadership start showing through, there ya go.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2007, 12:39:44 PM »

I should have pre-faced that by saying if he's worrying about himself from a shooting perspective. That was my bad. Yes, if he improves as a true PG - which I think most people on this site would agree with if they calmed down just a minute - he'll make MU a better team. EVERYONE here wants that.

But when he's made it obvious that his dream is to be in the NBA, it's only human nature to press too hard on the things that you need to work on in the context of a game. For god's sakes guys, James admitted this himself (see Rosiak's blog today). I don't think it's out of any MU fans realm to at least be a little concerned about what attitude James brings to the court. Yeah, I think he's the second best player on the team, hands down. Again, the purpose of this site is speculation and differing opinions.

I can't say for sure what he'll do. But I do know that in the last nine games of the year last season, James shot 30% from the field and 20% from beyond the arc. He needs to limit his shots or improve his selection and go north-south more than east-west so he can get to the line. If saying that makes me a "bad fan", so be it.

And since I've now been mentioned, along with Oz, in Harrison's well-versed diatribe, I'll comment quickly.

Of course there were games James played well in from the Duke game forward. But commentators, broadcasters, bloggers, and sportswriters who cover this team have all agreed on one thing - from the Duke game on, James didn't seem like himself. Why that is is a matter of pure speculation is beyond me.

That doesn't take away from the fact that James is the second best player on the team and he should help them without a doubt.   

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Good lord, Harrison, get your quotes straight
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2007, 01:29:04 PM »
I never said that next year if he comes back that no one will recognize him and that he will suck.  That was 77ncaachamps.

Get your facts right before you start calling people ignorant.  Man, you are tiresome.

I love how you single me out when I am one of scores of people on both boards who criticized DJ's play in the second half, and also criticized his entering the draft.  People have said a lot worse about DJ than I have, yet, you like to attack me personally and toss the insults around.

I don't know what I did to piss in your Cheerio's, but man you are sad.  But, I guess personally attacking me through the safety of an internet message board makes you feel like a big man.

Get a grip, and a life.  People differ with you on DJ.  Don't throw around insults and quotes that are incorrect. 

I think DJ is the second-best player on the team.  I think that he was bad in the second half of the season.  You disagree, fine. 

Whatever your hard-on is for insulting me and singling my posts out, fine.  You are not the God of basketball knowledge.

Why don't you attack PRN for his crack about that he can shoot better than James? 

I'm not playing your game any more.  You are a perfect example of why the ignore button is needed.

Don't worry about Harry yet, OZ.  You'll know when he really goes cuckoo on you.  Then he'll earn himself another vacation.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Good lord, Harrison, get your quotes straight
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2007, 02:11:57 PM »
Then he'll earn himself another vacation.

Ahhh yes, the coveted MUScoop all-inclusive vacation package.  Funded by our new fee system  :P

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2007, 02:24:49 PM »
I guess I recalled it as OZ considering so many of his posts have  some sort of qualifier towards me.  It just gets old when a certain group of people, led by Oz cannot appreciate a player for waht he is.  That they would welcome him back if he can do this or if he does that.  Well it does not work that way, Mu is either better with or without a player and Mu is exponentially better with DJ.
A player has NBA aspirations and then everything he does is hyper scrutinized as him being a selfish person, etc, etc.
It's sad.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2007, 02:51:14 PM »
I guess I recalled it as OZ considering so many of his posts have  some sort of qualifier towards me.  It just gets old when a certain group of people, led by Oz cannot appreciate a player for waht he is.  That they would welcome him back if he can do this or if he does that.  Well it does not work that way, Mu is either better with or without a player and Mu is exponentially better with DJ.
A player has NBA aspirations and then everything he does is hyper scrutinized as him being a selfish person, etc, etc.
It's sad.

I think DJ is a tremendous athlete, but last season, he wasn't half the player he was his freshman season. Name some athletes who declared for the draft, pulled out late, and impacted their team greatly (i.e., Elite Eight, Final Four).

IMHO, I'd rather struggle without DJ than with him. Jerel and Wes were probably preparing to take over the reins when...oops...who decides to come back? Acker was preparing to lead at the point after a year of watching when...oh darnit...he's back again. I think that DJ's decision will negatively impact the team.

But I hope DJ proves me wrong!  ;)
SS Marquette

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2007, 03:12:01 PM »
77ncaachamps,

You and I are normally in agreement regarding DJ's play, but I have to disagree with you on the statement that DJ coming back will negatively impact the team.

Just curious, how do you see DJ's return negatively impacting the team? Do you believe that Acker's development will be stunted, or that Cubes will pushed towards transferring?

Provided that DJ works on the flaws in his game, which all indications point to him doing just that, he will help MU a lot next year.  He did regress this past year, but he is capable of dominating a game.  He will be helped by a better inside game and more consistent outside shooting from his teammates.

I am giving DJ a clean slate now that he has pulled out of the draft and come back to reality.  I hope that he is more like the freshman DJ than last year's edition.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2007, 03:47:14 PM »
I think DJ is a tremendous athlete, but last season, he wasn't half the player he was his freshman season. Name some athletes who declared for the draft, pulled out late, and impacted their team greatly (i.e., Elite Eight, Final Four).

Jameer Nelson
Pops Mensah-Bonsu
Roger Powell
Nate Robinson
To name a few ...

The notion that James was a "shell of himself" or "not half the player he was" as a freshman is laughable. His shooting was down a whopping one made basket per game on average and his free throw percentage, though still poor for a guard, actually improved. His assist to turnover was about the same and his steal were up slightly while his rebounding was down slightly (the latter not all that important for a point guard).
The real difference for James between his freshman year and his sophomore year was that he was facing defenses designed to stop his penetration rather than those designed to curb Steve Novak's open looks. As a result, and through no fault of his own, getting to the hole became significantly more difficult. One can fairly argue that DJ did not adjust all that well to being the defensive focus of every opponent, but to argue that he somehow was - or will be - a negative force on the team is flat-out ridiculous. DJ wasn't so much a lesser player last year than opponents did a much better job of taking away his strengths.

Lastly, enough with the implications that DJ is somehow selfish because he seriously considered turning pro. News flash: Every single college player worth his salt wants to get paid. And the majority want to get paid sooner rather than later. That DJ weighed his options and explored his opportunities says NOTHING negative about his character.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2007, 05:19:19 PM »

The notion that James was a "shell of himself" or "not half the player he was" as a freshman is laughable. His shooting was down a whopping one made basket per game on average and his free throw percentage, though still poor for a guard, actually improved. His assist to turnover was about the same and his steal were up slightly while his rebounding was down slightly (the latter not all that important for a point guard).
The real difference for James between his freshman year and his sophomore year was that he was facing defenses designed to stop his penetration rather than those designed to curb Steve Novak's open looks. As a result, and through no fault of his own, getting to the hole became significantly more difficult. One can fairly argue that DJ did not adjust all that well to being the defensive focus of every opponent, but to argue that he somehow was - or will be - a negative force on the team is flat-out ridiculous. DJ wasn't so much a lesser player last year than opponents did a much better job of taking away his strengths.

Absolutely right on the mark.  During DJ's freshmen year we had Novak shooting lights out.  I will be the first to say that I was wrong last year when I said that Novak graduating was not going to make a difference.  I fully expected Fitz and Hayward to pick up the slack and than some.  I was wrong.  Novak leaving and no one stepping up from the perimeter made our offense unbearable to watch at times.  Especially with no inside game to speak of.  Everything was designed off of penetration and the dish but when no one was hitting from the outside teams changed up their defenses.

DJ is to blame on some of this as he was not able to do anything on offense as the shot clock was running down and he was forced to shot some ill advised shots.  But, TC and the rest of team was as much to blame.  Fitz needed to be more assertive, TC needed to change up the offensive flow some how, some way.  There is not one sole person at fault last year for some of the struggles but hey get this, we didn't lose that many games and we did make the NCAA tourny.  We must have done something right last year for all the troubles we had.  Finishing in the top half of the Big East will always be an accomplishment and a testiment that we have a fairly good team.  Let's not blast a guy who had some troubles last year but also played very well at other times.  Without him last year, we don't make the tourny.  And without him this year,we are not a top 15 team from the get go.