Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 16, 2024, 07:21:10 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by MU82
[June 16, 2024, 06:39:26 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Herman Cain
[June 16, 2024, 06:05:09 PM]

NBA green room by Skatastrophy
[June 16, 2024, 03:09:36 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 16, 2024, 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[June 16, 2024, 11:50:43 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Junior College Debate  (Read 4343 times)

warthog-driver

• All American
The Junior College Debate
« on: April 30, 2012, 06:22:53 PM »
Some background

http://www.lostlettermen.com/week-long-series-junior-college-transfers-part-i-jerry-tarkanian-builds-juco-army-at-long-beach-state-unlv/

Throughout the week, we’ll be taking a look at junior college transfers and how they’ve become such a huge part of college basketball. Many high school athletes don’t reach the NCAA’s academic standards or have character issues that land them at JuCos to start their college careers.

MU82

• All American
Re: The Junior College Debate
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 07:13:44 PM »
Some JUCO kids are jerks who never fit in at a four-year school. Some JUCO kids are good people who, for whatever reason, weren't quite ready for a four-year school.

Kinda like non-JUCO humans: Some are jerks, some are humans, some are in between. Hate these "debates" that try to come to some kind of one-size-fits-all conclusion.

Wake me when this debate is over.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
As pointed out, Al always used Jucos to round out or complete a roster. There is nothing wrong with this approach. I cannot understand why some look down on or fear Jucos.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 08:31:58 AM »
I do not mind juco's. Part of recruiting is the recruiter elimitating players that do not fit in at the univeristy, whether they are high schoolers, prep schoolers, transfers or juco's.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 08:47:10 AM »
Looking down on JUCOs is dumb.  First of all, Marquette accepts junior college transfers amongst its "regular" student body because they have shown they can do work.

But more importantly, non-qualifiers who go JUCO (like Jae and Buycks), have to earn associate degrees before they are allowed to play college basketball.  Say what you want, but earning an associate degree for some of these kids is an accomplishment - oftentimes more than anyone in their family has accomplished.  Frankly, it is more than some kids who go directly to four year schools have accomplished in two years.

Finally, have any of our non-qualifying JUCO transfers been a problem off the court?  Nope.

That avenue should never be cut-off as a place where MU can recruit.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:55:43 AM »
Finally, have any of our non-qualifying JUCO transfers been a problem off the court?  Nope.

Hang on. I read here that DJO was wielding a beer bottle and smashing heads at Apartment 720.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 10:53:26 AM »
Looking down on JUCOs is dumb.  First of all, Marquette accepts junior college transfers amongst its "regular" student body because they have shown they can do work.

But more importantly, non-qualifiers who go JUCO (like Jae and Buycks), have to earn associate degrees before they are allowed to play college basketball.  Say what you want, but earning an associate degree for some of these kids is an accomplishment - oftentimes more than anyone in their family has accomplished.  Frankly, it is more than some kids who go directly to four year schools have accomplished in two years.

Agreed.  JUCO's are a big part of the regular education population.  Tons of kids go to a 2-year junior college because they aren't ready for a 4 year university... for a number of different reasons, i.e. behavior issues, financial situation, academic struggles, etc.

Why would we look down on kids who do that with basketball? 

It's just another avenue for someone to progress his life, all the more power to him. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 11:18:11 AM »

I really don't think that Jae was a non-qualifier coming out of HS.  I thought his problem was more due to the fact that he concentrated on football in HS until he broke his hand playing quarterback, so he still needed to develop as a b-ball player before he could get schools interested.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 11:22:19 AM »
I really don't think that Jae was a non-qualifier coming out of HS.  I thought his problem was more due to the fact that he concentrated on football in HS until he broke his hand playing quarterback, so he still needed to develop as a b-ball player before he could get schools interested.

No he needed to graduate before he could play here.  He did two year's worth of work in one year in order to do so.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 11:22:47 AM »
Hang on. I read here that DJO was wielding a beer bottle and smashing heads at Apartment 720.

He qualified out of high school...it was delayed due to a Clearinghouse issue.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 11:26:52 AM »

No he needed to graduate before he could play here.  He did two year's worth of work in one year in order to do so.

I believe that that was because the first JUCO that he went to was not accredited, so none of his first year JUCO course work could be transferred to a four year school, or probably put towards an associates degree at Howard Community college for that matter.

Modification:  I also see that Jae is not listed at all in ESPN's database for 2008 recruits, so evidently he had a low profile for a basketball recruit as a HS senior.

I'm also pretty sure that if someone plays two years of JUCO ball, he can't play NCAA Division I without first getting an associates degree.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:07:39 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »
Some JUCO kids are jerks who never fit in at a four-year school. Some JUCO kids are good people who, for whatever reason, weren't quite ready for a four-year school.

Kinda like non-JUCO humans: Some are jerks, some are humans, some are in between. Hate these "debates" that try to come to some kind of one-size-fits-all conclusion.

Wake me when this debate is over.

+1

The list of JUCOs we've had with Buzz:  Fulce, Butler, DJO, Jae, Buycks.  Solid citizens all, and solid MU basketball representatives.  No problems with JUCOs if they're like the dudes in that list.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 12:06:57 PM »
+1

The list of JUCOs we've had with Buzz:  Fulce, Butler, DJO, Jae, Buycks.  Solid citizens all, and solid MU basketball representatives.  No problems with JUCOs if they're like the dudes in that list.

As opposed to some of our high school, 4 year eligible athletes of the past decade: Amoroso, Mortenson, Manchild Mathews, Hazel, etc. Maybe MU should EXCLUSIVELY recruit non traditional Jucos.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 12:47:28 PM »
I believe that that was because the first JUCO that he went to was not accredited, so none of his first year JUCO course work could be transferred to a four year school, or probably put towards an associates degree at Howard Community college for that matter.

Modification:  I also see that Jae is not listed at all in ESPN's database for 2008 recruits, so evidently he had a low profile for a basketball recruit as a HS senior.

I'm also pretty sure that if someone plays two years of JUCO ball, he can't play NCAA Division I without first getting an associates degree.

If he is a full academic qualifier, he would not need the associates degree.  That is my understanding.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 06:36:19 PM »
As opposed to some of our high school, 4 year eligible athletes of the past decade: Amoroso, Mortenson, Manchild Mathews, Hazel, etc. Maybe MU should EXCLUSIVELY recruit non traditional Jucos.

I never heard the rest of the story on some of these guys. Were Amo & Mortenson gamblers? Was Hazel drugs? And what happened with The Manchild?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 06:42:06 PM »
I never heard the rest of the story on some of these guys. Were Amo & Mortenson gamblers? Was Hazel drugs? And what happened with The Manchild?

Hazel double dipped on someone's ATM card. Ammo was nuts and liked poker. Mort was more like Pete rose.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 06:42:43 PM »
Hazel double dipped on someone's ATM card. Ammo was nuts and liked poker. Mort was more like Pete rose.

Well, Amo didn't find dabbling in the Pete Rose either.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 06:47:01 PM »
Well, Amo didn't find dabbling in the Pete Rose either.

He found inspiration in The Herb?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 06:56:02 PM »

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 06:58:29 PM »

Got it. Amo never really bulked up though, did he?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 07:03:23 PM »
Got it. Amo never really bulked up though, did he?

Neither did Ryan Braun or Mortensen. However, I think Matt works at a Abercrombie & Fitch in Utah, so it worked out for him.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 07:07:03 PM »
Neither did Ryan Braun or Mortensen. However, I think Matt works at a Abercrombie & Fitch in Utah, so it worked out for him.

Has Matt done his Mission yet? Wonder if they'll send him to Vegas. Or Monaco?

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 08:54:18 AM »

I played poker with Ammo a few times actually, he wasn't very good.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 09:03:47 AM »
Has Matt done his Mission yet? Wonder if they'll send him to Vegas. Or Monaco?

Don't bet on it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 09:11:56 AM »
And what happened with The Manchild?

Manchild, to put it kindly, was not the sharpest knife in the drawer. He allegedly beat the snot out of one of our assistant coaches and was soon after shown the door.

feedback