Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Transfer out that hurt the most?  (Read 9888 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: MU Transfer out that hurt the most?
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 01:06:27 PM »
If you are assuming that any transfer who left would have been happy to accept a roll that best fit the team had they stayed than Blankson would be a logical choice.  But in reality we went to the Final Four without him so I don't think he is the right answer.  I think it is likely, through no fault of his own, that he would have been more disruptive than helpful by taking minutes away from Novak and shots/touches away from Wade/Deiner/Jackson.  With all the scorers on that team, a guy who didn't need to score to be happy like Townsend was fine.

I think Karon Bradley is the right answer, as he would have filled a deperate need after Deiner went down and would not have held back other promising players too much, as he would have only by around for on season of James/McNeal/Matthews.

Of the other guys, assuming good health and desire to compete for us, Mbakwe would have been really helpful Buzz's first few years.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:08:38 PM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 01:20:29 PM »
Have to go with Mbakwe.  Trevor would have helped immensely for MU teams that were vertically challenged on the interior.  But, coulda / shoulda as his people wanted him not to play the 5, which is most likely where he would have played at MU had he stayed. 

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 01:29:27 PM »
Obviously its Ryan Amoroso, TC wouldn't have the Great Alaska banner without him

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 01:34:24 PM »
Did Chicos invited Amo over for a beer we he went out West?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 01:52:15 PM »
Obviously its Ryan Amoroso, TC wouldn't have the Great Alaska banner without him

We also lost Super Mario when Amo left.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2012, 01:53:55 PM »
A healthy Mbakwe there for the senior year of the Amigos would have been huge.    So he is my first choice.   Bradley might have been enough to get us into the NCAA tourney when Diener went down, let alone get rolled by Western Michigan.    So he is my second choice.    ODB hurt, and even though his presence as an athletic 6'7 3-4 certainly would have helped against the Jayhawks, it would not have helped 35 points.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2012, 04:58:51 PM »
Under this criteria, yeah, Lucas...that was  a big loss.  DWade, also quite large.

Jim Chones' departure was far more devastating...

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2012, 05:09:39 PM »
Al transferring to Medalist
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2012, 05:13:33 PM »
Wouldn't that be true for Bradley, Mason, Amo or just about any other name in this thead?  :D

While we don't know what type of player he'd actually be, I have to think his performance at Miami Dade and Minnesota would represent the floor--I have to think he would have been better off with the attention of the MU coaching staff and our facilities.

If the question is limited to those transfers with eligibiity remaining, I think Maymon or Newbill are the only two worth considering.

If we include all players regardless of eligiblity left, there is no doubt that Mbakwe is the biggest loss. Think of what a dominating inside player would have meant in 2009 (playing ahead of Burke when the Amigos were seniors), 2010 (when we had Hayward playing out of position) and 2011 (when injuries to both Otule and Gardner hampered their effectiveness).

I mentioned Mbakwe because of the fact he is still playing college basketball right now, but had he been with us he wouldnt be here anymore. So it was merely a point that had he never transfered maybe he wouldnt be anywhere near the player he was this year for gophers before the injury.....and hopefully what he will be next year and thats a beast

Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2012, 05:20:47 PM »
The idea that either Mason or Bradley leaving hurt is laughable.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 05:46:20 PM »
Warthog
+1

Jim Chones leaving was biggest departure of all time.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2012, 06:06:09 PM »
Warthog
+1

Jim Chones leaving was biggest departure of all time.

Marquette was undefeated at 21-0 and ranked #2 in both polls at the time of Chones departure. It was just before the end of the regular season. The first game without Chones Marquette goes out and loses to Detroit....coached by Dick Vitale. How many times has that arsehole mentioned that game since?

Anyhow, we go from contending for a national title just before the tournament to sh1tting bricks. Tough to lose 21 points and almost 13 rebounds per. Huge opportunity lost.

To suggest that Blankston, Bradley, Mason, Amo, et al leaving was anything akin to losing Chones

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 07:32:06 PM »
Marquette was undefeated at 21-0 and ranked #2 in both polls at the time of Chones departure. It was just before the end of the regular season. The first game without Chones Marquette goes out and loses to Detroit....coached by Dick Vitale. How many times has that arsehole mentioned that game since?

Anyhow, we go from contending for a national title just before the tournament to sh1tting bricks. Tough to lose 21 points and almost 13 rebounds per. Huge opportunity lost.

To suggest that Blankston, Bradley, Mason, Amo, et al leaving was anything akin to losing Chones

Absolutely correct.  And if I remember my history well enough, Jim's family financial situation was so dire that there wasn't food in the fridge prompting Coach Al to bless the decision to leave early back when it was called 'hardship'.  Chones was one of the first nationally.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2012, 07:37:12 PM »
Absolutely correct.  And if I remember my history well enough, Jim's family financial situation was so dire that there wasn't food in the fridge prompting Coach Al to bless the decision to leave early back when it was called 'hardship'.  Chones was one of the first nationally.

Roger Operation Reefer Madness.

Word was that Al went over to JC's apt and asked,  "How much they offering you, Jimmy?" After hearing $1.5 million Al asked JC if his mother was still cleaning bathrooms at a hospital. Al then opened JC's reefer and saw essentially nothing. He then told JC to take the money.

Very different than The Bronzed Beast talking DJ out of leaving after his frosh year. Cost Dom millions. Millions.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 07:43:57 PM »
Odb - his staying could have translated into a National Championship in 2003...

Nah, numb nuts was still the coach.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2012, 07:45:13 PM »
Blankson and Karon Bradley come to mind.  Bradley lead Wichita State to the NCAA's a few years after transferring.

Also, if Karon Bradley had stayed, Marcus Jackson never has to be a point forward, and that embarrassing loss Western Michigan at home in the NIT doesn't happen either.

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2012, 07:46:13 PM »

The humiliation of that Final Four spanking against KU still stings. On the biggest CBB stage, too.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2012, 07:48:38 PM »
The Western Michigan debacle stands as a black day in the annals of our storied program. The shame of that drubbing, so soon after the Final Four, begs questions.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2012, 07:49:12 PM »

Very different than The Bronzed Beast talking DJ out of leaving after his frosh year. Cost Dom millions. Millions.

Amen to that.  May we always try to remember that these young men are real human beings with real lives and NOT fantasy players.  Hard to always be right but should always try have their long term interest in mind.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2012, 07:54:35 PM »
Amen to that.  May we always try to remember that these young men are real human beings with real lives and NOT fantasy players.  Hard to always be right but should always try have their long term interest in mind.

Crean should be ashamed for what he did to DJ. He was in the Top 15 on the draft boards. The Baked Behemoth talked that young man out of multi-generational financial security. Now, he fights for European table scraps while the Bloomington Blowhard leads post-game chants at Assembly Hall.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2012, 08:23:04 PM »
Maybe not a hurtful transfer, but DeMarcus Minor had a great career at Baylor after transferring from MU.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2012, 08:38:01 PM »
A Mike Deane guy?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2012, 08:57:49 PM »

Chones played 50 games for Marquette and we won 49 of them. The ABA team (can't remember which one) made Jim a take it or leave it offer. It speaks volumes about Al that a) Chones immediately went to him for advice and b) Al put the Jimmy and his family's needs ahead of his own quest for a national title. I'm sure most coaches would have told Chones "The money will still be there after the season". Al wasn't like most coaches.

The only early departure/transfer that can even compare to Chones is Maurice Lucas. The other guys mentioned weren't in their league.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2012, 09:01:39 PM »
Crean should be ashamed for what he did to DJ. He was in the Top 15 on the draft boards. The Baked Behemoth talked that young man out of multi-generational financial security. Now, he fights for European table scraps while the Bloomington Blowhard leads post-game chants at Assembly Hall.

This is both true and hilarious. First time a post has made me laugh out loud in weeks.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2012, 09:19:24 PM »
I actually think tyshawn was the one that hurt worst. Imagine having him backing up James in 08 when dj got hurt... We had a legit final four team, especially given our bracket that year.

Post 3 amigos he would have been great with zar, cubi and jimmy... I realize we had success regardless, but still think that set us back a few years...