Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Chicago Recruiting  (Read 13656 times)

warthog-driver

• All American
Chicago Recruiting
« on: April 21, 2012, 04:45:34 PM »
Was in a Seattle brewpub last night when a guy with the thickest Chicago accent sits next to us. Turns out he went to DePaul so we naturally brought up college hoops. In particular we discussed how DePaul has completely lost out on local recruiting while MU is struggling in Chicago (his view; I suggested Buzz has a broader recruiting footprint so we are not as dependent on Chicago.)

He stated that Joey Meyer pissed off the local HS hoops mafia and that was the beginning of the end for them obtaining Chicago prepsters. He also believed Kennedy did more harm than good in the same regard which led to hiring Wainwright.

Anyhow, we both agreed that the epic battles between Peoria Manual and Whitney Young were some of the classics. In particular, the 1998 Whitney Young squad was epic:

Quentin Richardson
Dennis Gates
Cordell Henry

Who were the others from that squad?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 05:05:59 PM by warthog-driver »

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
Re: Chicago Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 05:13:32 PM »
Whiney Young had a player named Corey Harris, who went to Ball State, but I doubt he did much collegiately.

I only know that name because I knew people from Fenwick, who that same year had Corey Maggette and Chris Williams, (who started at Loyola but eventually played at Ball State with Harris).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 05:17:11 PM by WI_inferiority_complexes »

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 05:18:19 PM »
That Chicago class had tons of talent -

Corey Magette
Bobby Simmons
Frank Williams

Stringer Bellenson

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 05:35:04 PM »
Another great team from those days was Thornton from Harvey, they lost to Peoria Manuel a couple years in a row down state in some close games.  They probably would've won it all any other years.  They had Melvin Ely, Antwan Randle El, Napoleon Harris, and Eric Herring.  Ely went to Fresno St. and ended up on the Clippers at one point I believe.  Randle El and Harris had solid careers in the NFL.  Harris just won a primary for a state senate seat.  Not sure about Herring.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 06:57:01 PM »
That Chicago class had tons of talent -

Corey Magette
Bobby Simmons
Frank Williams

I think you mean Lance Williams from Julian HS.

Frank Williams was a point guard from Peoria Manual that went to Illinois.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 06:59:08 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 07:16:44 PM »
Sergio McClain and Marcus Griffin were Peoria Manual grads, who also attended Illinois.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »
I think you mean Lance Williams from Julian HS.

Frank Williams was a point guard from Peoria Manual that went to Illinois.

Good catch. I meant Lance. Frank was Mr BB in Illinois that year, edging out QR.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 08:52:11 AM »
Was in a Seattle brewpub last night when a guy with the thickest Chicago accent sits next to us. Turns out he went to DePaul so we naturally brought up college hoops. In particular we discussed how DePaul has completely lost out on local recruiting while MU is struggling in Chicago (his view; I suggested Buzz has a broader recruiting footprint so we are not as dependent on Chicago.)

He stated that Joey Meyer pissed off the local HS hoops mafia and that was the beginning of the end for them obtaining Chicago prepsters. He also believed Kennedy did more harm than good in the same regard which led to hiring Wainwright.

Anyhow, we both agreed that the epic battles between Peoria Manual and Whitney Young were some of the classics. In particular, the 1998 Whitney Young squad was epic:

Quentin Richardson
Dennis Gates
Cordell Henry

Who were the others from that squad?

Pat Kennedy famously said that passing on Cordell (for King HS PG Imari Sawyer, I think) was the biggest recruiting mistake he ever made.

The real change for DePaul was KG passing on High School and starting the preps to pros trend. DePaul had KG locked up but then he couldn't get the SAT score he needed and had dire financial issues at home and went pro. This caused DePaul to miss out on Eddy Curry who was also headed to DePaul but instead went right to the pros.

If Curry went, DePaul's lineup would have been Eddy Curry at Center, Stephen Hunter at PG, Bobby Simmons at SF, Quentin Richardson at SG and as Kennedy said "we could have started the janitor at PG" and had a chance at a national championship.

Kennedy did piss off the Chicago powers that be.

We Are Marquette

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 09:10:51 AM »
Pat Kennedy famously said that passing on Cordell (for King HS PG Imari Sawyer, I think) was the biggest recruiting mistake he ever made.

The real change for DePaul was KG passing on High School and starting the preps to pros trend. DePaul had KG locked up but then he couldn't get the SAT score he needed and had dire financial issues at home and went pro. This caused DePaul to miss out on Eddy Curry who was also headed to DePaul but instead went right to the pros.

If Curry went, DePaul's lineup would have been Eddy Curry at Center, Stephen Hunter at PG, Bobby Simmons at SF, Quentin Richardson at SG and as Kennedy said "we could have started the janitor at PG" and had a chance at a national championship.

Kennedy did piss off the Chicago powers that be.

IIRC Kennedy resruited Sawyer hard rather than D Wade - Cordell Henry was two classes ahead of Wade and Sawyer.
In addition to Garnett, DePaul had also suffered (pre Kennedy) when Ronnie Fields couldn't get into school and Howard Nathan flunked out.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:24:59 AM by Lennys Tap »

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 10:11:10 AM »
In addition to Garnett, DePaul had also suffered (pre Kennedy) when Ronnie Fields couldn't get into school and Hhoward Nathan flunked out.

That could have been incredible for DePaul w/Garnett and Fields. 
Here's some more on Fields: http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/2010/03/catching-up-with-ronnie-fields/
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 10:22:18 AM »
Yeah Kennedy was referring to Wade not as Henry in being his biggest miss.

Henry was a nice player but he wasn't a program changer by any means.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 10:38:50 AM »
I loved watching Cordell Henry play.    That last class recruited by Deane was instrumental in MU's resurgence as a program -- they inserted a significant amount of talent into a team that had been eroding steadily talentwise under Deane.  They provided a core group of players that gave Tom Crean enough room to redevelop the program.  

While Cordell would be a very nice backup on today's team, he made Marquette a better program while he was here.  That, in the end, is the highest contribution a player can make to the Marquette program.  Any player who does that should be held in our highest regard.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 11:06:45 AM »

While Cordell would be a very nice backup on today's team, he made Marquette a better program while he was here.  

Agree that Cordell was a key part of a solid class that Deane left for TC. I don't know that he'd be a backup on today's team - think he'd have a good shot at starting.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 11:37:43 AM »
Cordell would have been a starter this past year IMO. He was a very solid player and upgrade over current PG. Plus he could push the ball and score.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 11:41:11 AM »
I'd rather have the ball in Cordell's hands than in Junior's. And I am not a Junior hater. Really liked Cordell's solid, smart game. Good defender, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 12:25:09 PM »
Wow that Ronnie Fields video in the SLAM article was awesome.

Between the numbers Fields put up in the Chicago Public League to the video of what he was doing, you can see what all the hype was about. He was athletic and intuitative to the point where the court looks tiny and everyone else appears to be moving in a slower gear.

Thanks for posting.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 01:24:36 PM »
Fields and Kevin Garnett were two of the five best prep players I ever saw. And they played on the same team. A Farragut team that somehow found a way to not with the state title, by the way.

Dr. Dunkenstein

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 02:18:27 PM »
Fields and Kevin Garnett were two of the five best prep players I ever saw. And they played on the same team. A Farragut team that somehow found a way to not with the state title, by the way.

Farragut lost in the quarterfinals of the state tournament to the previously mentioned Thornton (Harvey) team.  Thornton also had Tai Streets, who went on to play football at Michigan and for the 49ers.  A line-up that had five Division I starters in either hoops or football.  Herring ended up going to a MAC school, I believe.

I saw Farragut beat Philadelphia Roman Catholic on DePaul's campus, and Fields was ridiculous. They would just get the ball to Garnett in the middle of the court to break pressure and he would just loft it up to Fields, who could jump out of the gym.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 03:01:09 PM »
Farragut lost in the quarterfinals of the state tournament to the previously mentioned Thornton (Harvey) team.  Thornton also had Tai Streets, who went on to play football at Michigan and for the 49ers.  A line-up that had five Division I starters in either hoops or football.  Herring ended up going to a MAC school, I believe.

I saw Farragut beat Philadelphia Roman Catholic on DePaul's campus, and Fields was ridiculous. They would just get the ball to Garnett in the middle of the court to break pressure and he would just loft it up to Fields, who could jump out of the gym.

Tai Streets is the founder/leader of Mean Streets, the #2 AAU program in Chicago behind the Mac Irvin Fire.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 05:44:20 PM »
Tai Streets is the founder/leader of Mean Streets, the #2 AAU program in Chicago behind the Mac Irvin Fire.

As a UofM alum I follow their football team with a great deal of interest. I watched the 97 Rose Bowl vs WSU at the Sheraton in Sydney at about 5 am. Streets had a great game and Michigan captured the National Title (albeit shared due to Tom Osborne getting a goodbye reach around...) Streets was a real clutch player for Michigan.

Some might not know he also played on the basketball team but quit to focus on football.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 05:49:10 PM »

I was at that game, too. The Philly team had a Division I center and Garnett just KILLED him.

brandx

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 06:26:31 PM »
Another great team from those days was Thornton from Harvey, they lost to Peoria Manuel a couple years in a row down state in some close games.  They probably would've won it all any other years.  They had Melvin Ely, Antwan Randle El, Napoleon Harris, and Eric Herring.  Ely went to Fresno St. and ended up on the Clippers at one point I believe.  Randle El and Harris had solid careers in the NFL.  Harris just won a primary for a state senate seat.  Not sure about Herring.

A great team, but I'm wondering if any HS team ever had 5 guys who ended up in the NBA.

Earl Tatum played with Ray and Gus williams and Rudy Hackett and all 4 played in the NBA, but I can't recall if their was a 5th guy who reached the show.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 06:36:23 PM »
A great team, but I'm wondering if any HS team ever had 5 guys who ended up in the NBA.

Earl Tatum played with Ray and Gus williams and Rudy Hackett and all 4 played in the NBA, but I can't recall if their was a 5th guy who reached the show.

If you open up the aperture, Tai Streets played high school basketball with Randle El, Melvin Ely, and Napoleon Harris. All went on to careers in either the NFL or NBA.

Stringer Bellenson

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 08:02:23 PM »
Yeah, I forgot about Streets.  I also forgot he played basketball in college.  I know Randle El played football and basketball at I4 and I'm pretty sure Harris also played basketball at Northwestern at one point too.  Randle El got drafted by the Cubs and Streets was a track all-star too. 

There was a couple clips of them actually in that sweet Ronnie Fields video linked in the Slam article.

brandx

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 09:01:07 PM »
If you open up the aperture, Tai Streets played high school basketball with Randle El, Melvin Ely, and Napoleon Harris. All went on to careers in either the NFL or NBA.
My query if you bothered to read it was whether there has been a HS team where all 5 guys played in the NBA.

feedback