Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rayvonte Rice interested in MU  (Read 24259 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Rayvonte Rice interested in MU
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2012, 11:01:46 PM »
Vander has NBA upside? Unless he is given Novak's form, there's no way he gets there via draft. He'll have to go the FA/NBADL route.

Kid can't shoot, much less stop chucking the ball at the rim on fadeaway or drive-by layups!

Not sure about this Rice kid. Were we on him as a prepster?
SS Marquette

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2012, 11:01:52 PM »
Okay, the person you were quoting was not Goose, nor did Sultan agree with what Goose was saying.  What am I missing here?

They are both alter-egos of Chicos.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2012, 11:08:25 PM »
They are both alter-egos of Chicos.

While Sultan claims to be from South Wayne, he seems to maintain a very nice tan throughout the winter, just like someone from southern California would.

While Goose... aww who gives a... about Goose.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 12:13:56 AM »
He's already NBA talent. He doesn't yet have the skill (such as that jumper and finishing) but the raw ability is unquestionably there. In terms of NBA pedigree, he's probably our best looking prospect since Wade, and if he can polish his rough spots, he could be a very solid next-level player.

I'm just hoping Vander can be a very solid THIS-LEVEL player.  I don't see anyway he makes the NBA, unless he can add about 20 lbs of muscle, and improve his perimeter shot tremendously.  I've never seen Vander shoot a pull up jumper off the dribble...head fake..put the ball on the floor and pull up for a jumper...not that this is some skill required to get drafted..but just an example of a hole in his game right now.

If Jerel McNeal wasn't good enough to get drafted/make the NBA...how in the world can anyone see Vander getting there?  What is Vander better at than Jerel was after their sophomore years?  Hope I'm proven wrong, and would love to be...but just don't see it happening.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:20:23 AM by Ners »
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
According to @MattWettersten Drake transfer Rayvonte Rice has visited Illinois and Xavier & hopes to see Marquette. Decision b4 June. #mubb

Averaged 16.5 points and 5.7 rebounds this past season for Drake, including eight games of at least 20 points.

He wants to visit Marquette. This would be a very good get for MU.

Possibility of someone else transferring? This is the 3rd SG we have been in on.

Clicking on Value Add above and punching him in, he was the best player in 2012 of any player who has been mentioned so far.  His three years he has improved on both offense and defense very year - with his overall ranking going from 957 as a freshman to 490 to 364.

That gives him a higher ranking than any Marquette player except our two now graduation seniors and Davante (299th), and puts him ahead of even Rodney Hood (504th) as the best transfer to be mentioned.  Of course, Lockett's ability to play this coming season would make him attractive as opposed to Rice tying up a scholarship as a redshirt next year just to give us one year - but Value Add is adjusted for every opponent so Rice does look like the biggest value of any transfer discussed so far.  You can type up this link i mentioned on CS yesterday and type his name in to see exact numbers:

http://www.chromatic.us/ball.html
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2012, 06:28:47 AM »
If Jerel McNeal wasn't good enough to get drafted/make the NBA...how in the world can anyone see Vander getting there?  What is Vander better at than Jerel was after their sophomore years?  Hope I'm proven wrong, and would love to be...but just don't see it happening.

Bingo!  Great analogy.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2012, 07:46:11 AM »
Okay, the person you were quoting was not Goose, nor did Sultan agree with what Goose was saying.  What am I missing here?

Yeah I must admit this has me confused.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2012, 07:47:23 AM »
If Jerel McNeal wasn't good enough to get drafted/make the NBA...how in the world can anyone see Vander getting there?  What is Vander better at than Jerel was after their sophomore years?  Hope I'm proven wrong, and would love to be...but just don't see it happening.

Vander is a better defender....but not marginally enough to make up for his lack of offense.  Good analogy though.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2012, 08:16:38 AM »
Vander has far more upside that McNeal had and far more natural talent. I love the fact this is place where you can blasted for saying positives about a player. Funny thing is one of the naysayers stated Joe Nathen actually was a pretty good basketball player on here a couple of weeks ago. Anyone that thinks Joe Nathen was a pretty good player obviously has different standards for talent or knows nothing about basketball.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2012, 09:22:15 AM »
Vander has far more upside that McNeal had and far more natural talent. I love the fact this is place where you can blasted for saying positives about a player. Funny thing is one of the naysayers stated Joe Nathen actually was a pretty good basketball player on here a couple of weeks ago. Anyone that thinks Joe Nathen was a pretty good player obviously has different standards for talent or knows nothing about basketball.

I agree that Vander as an upside to him, but Jerel, despite the lack of upside, was WAY more polished of a player at this stage of his MU career.

Will we see Vander's upside partially realized over the next two years?

I hope so, but doubt it.

He lacks an outside shot (which Jerel kinda had) and needs to cut back on his left arm wards (meaning his dribbling skills need more work).
SS Marquette

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2012, 12:59:31 PM »

Vander is a better defender....but not marginally enough to make up for his lack of offense.  Good analogy though.

Jerel was the Big East Defensive Player Of The Year as a sophomore.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Goose

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2012, 01:23:29 PM »
Hands down McNeal is a better college player than Vander to this point and probably two years from now the same will hold true. Comparing a college career and what a kid can do next level is different thing. IMO McNeal exceeded all expectations and was a joy to watch. To date Vander has been frustrating to watch more than he has been entertaining. However, in the big picture I believe, from I have heard, that Vander has skills that translates to the next level.

I commented on here during the season that more than handful of times I heard announcers say Vander has NBA talent. Honestly over the last decade or so, Wade aside, I cannot remember any guy singled out by announcers more than Vander. Jae received a ton of props this year but only after an unreal run this season. I will not dispute anyone's claims that Vander has been a work in progress at best, but do listen and read what others have to say. By no stretch am I saying he is a lock at next level and think he has work ahead of him to get there.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2012, 01:24:54 PM »
Hands down McNeal is a better college player than Vander to this point and probably two years from now the same will hold true. Comparing a college career and what a kid can do next level is different thing. IMO McNeal exceeded all expectations and was a joy to watch. To date Vander has been frustrating to watch more than he has been entertaining. However, in the big picture I believe, from I have heard, that Vander has skills that translates to the next level.

Pretty much what everyone said about McNeal as he became MU's leading scorer.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2012, 01:52:15 PM »
Cancer is a far more complete player.  He is unbelievably athletic. The last guy MU had  that was this athletic was D-wade.  Yes including Don James.  Vander will get drafted, and he will play PG in the NBA.  This year he will make a big leap, and silence a lot of his

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2012, 02:06:48 PM »
Cancer is a far more complete player.  He is unbelievably athletic. The last guy MU had  that was this athletic was D-wade.  Yes including Don James.  Vander will get drafted, and he will play PG in the NBA.  This year he will make a big leap, and silence a lot of his

Did Vander get auto-corrected to "cancer"?
SS Marquette

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2012, 02:11:34 PM »

Did Vander get auto-corrected to "cancer"?

And did you get sidetracked before you finished your post?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2012, 02:16:58 PM »
Jerel was the Big East Defensive Player Of The Year as a sophomore.

He was good, but he wasn't *that*good.  Took way too many chances and that pumped up his defensive stats.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2012, 02:25:19 PM »

Disagree. Jerel was a very good defender and better all around ballplayer.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2012, 03:02:08 PM »
If Avery Bradley can play in the association, so can Vander.  Bradley has ZERO ability to make a shot, but is a phenomenal athlete, and very solid defensive player.  He's basically the same size as Vander is.  Vander has got another couple years to refine his jumper, get even BETTER as a defender--and the Cracked Sidewalks stats bear out how important he is when he's on the floor.

He has an NBA frame, too.  6'4" ish is pretty solid for a 1/2 combo in the NBA.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2012, 03:13:22 PM »
And did you get sidetracked before you finished your post?

No Androids keypad is buggy.  Last word should be critics.  Also yes Vander got autocorrected to cancer. Haha

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2012, 03:14:54 PM »
Vander Blue has incredible upside. Don't underestimate his chances of making the show.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2012, 04:04:37 PM »
I'm just hoping Vander can be a very solid THIS-LEVEL player.  I don't see anyway he makes the NBA, unless he can add about 20 lbs of muscle, and improve his perimeter shot tremendously.  I've never seen Vander shoot a pull up jumper off the dribble...head fake..put the ball on the floor and pull up for a jumper...not that this is some skill required to get drafted..but just an example of a hole in his game right now.

If Jerel McNeal wasn't good enough to get drafted/make the NBA...how in the world can anyone see Vander getting there?  What is Vander better at than Jerel was after their sophomore years?  Hope I'm proven wrong, and would love to be...but just don't see it happening.

All of this +1. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2012, 06:15:56 PM »

Goose,
Several posters, myself included, disagree with you regarding Vander's pro potential.  I don't believe that anyone has "blasted you" for having your own opinion.  If you feel that I have, I apologize.  I actually never skip over your posts because I always find something interesting, if not informative, in each one.

When Brewcity77 (in teal) called you and Sultan alter egos of Chicos, I probably gave the wrong impression with my "While Goose... aww who gives a... about Goose" comment."  I'd already use my best bit on Sultan, and I didn't want to just skip over you, so I came up with that.  I try to start some good natured zinging back and forth with guys I respect, like Forever does (particularly with ZiggysFryBoy), and I guess that one bombed.  

As for Joe Nathen, well, he was no Joe Nethen, that's for sure.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2012, 06:25:20 PM »
LittleMurs
No problem. Nice finish!!! Wish Vander could close like that.

Dawson Rental

• All American

Clicking on Value Add above and punching him in, he was the best player in 2012 of any player who has been mentioned so far.  His three years he has improved on both offense and defense very year - with his overall ranking going from 957 as a freshman to 490 to 364.

That gives him a higher ranking than any Marquette player except our two now graduation seniors and Davante (299th), and puts him ahead of even Rodney Hood (504th) as the best transfer to be mentioned.  Of course, Lockett's ability to play this coming season would make him attractive as opposed to Rice tying up a scholarship as a redshirt next year just to give us one year - but Value Add is adjusted for every opponent so Rice does look like the biggest value of any transfer discussed so far.  You can type up this link i mentioned on CS yesterday and type his name in to see exact numbers:

http://www.chromatic.us/ball.html

Thanks again for great information.  One question though.  He's only been out of HS for two years, so how does he have three numbers?  Could the 957 be a projected number for his freshman year based on his HS performance?