Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Phillip Nolan  (Read 17680 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Phillip Nolan
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 01:51:04 PM »
He has much better upside potential than Borro as a player. I like the fact he played a ton outside the basket because his ball skills are high for a big guy. In right system he has a chance to be an impact player in college. IMO he either sits on the pines at a school or finds a place to be standout player and nothing in between.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 02:03:20 PM »
Goose -- that was sort of my point -- even with minimal growth, he could be Borro-quality -- IMO he potentially has a ton of upside and would be worth investment.

I'll say it again, younger fans should be so thankful for Crean and Buzz putting MU back on the map. <Insert grumpy old man voice> When I was in school in the late 80s, our team was made up of a large percentage of guys who couldn't even be walk-ons right now. To be talking about guys like Philip Nolan, Burton, Taylor, etc. and all of the other possibilities is truly remarkable. This is a great time to be an MU bball fan. Be thankful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 02:17:47 PM »
Freeport
Agreed on your post big time. My point was I think he a high bar, much higher than Borro, and in right place he could be a stud. For whatever reason I think it is going to be one extreme or the other with him.

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 04:33:25 PM »
According to ESPN predictions, the experts believe Nolan will qualify.

Paul Biancardi, Joel Francisco, Mike LaPlante, and John Stovall predicted Marquette to get him.

Dave Telep was the lone expert to predict Nolan going to a prep school. Adam Finkelstein picked Baylor and Reggie Rankin selected Minnesota.

On a side note, Noel appears head to Kentucky so we wont have to fear him playing for the hoyas.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 04:42:15 PM »
How can they possibly know if he will qualify?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 05:13:27 PM »
Duh, espn knows everyhing.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 05:56:45 PM »
Goose -- that was sort of my point -- even with minimal growth, he could be Borro-quality -- IMO he potentially has a ton of upside and would be worth investment.

I'll say it again, younger fans should be so thankful for Crean and Buzz putting MU back on the map. <Insert grumpy old man voice> When I was in school in the late 80s, our team was made up of a large percentage of guys who couldn't even be walk-ons right now. To be talking about guys like Philip Nolan, Burton, Taylor, etc. and all of the other possibilities is truly remarkable. This is a great time to be an MU bball fan. Be thankful.

Agreed, if this were the late eighties we'd be salivating about Nolan as if he were a top ten guy or at least the second coming of Mike Bargain (sp?).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 05:59:07 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 06:13:24 PM »
Murs
Mike Bargen? Completely forgot about him. Sad to say but that was decent signing for the times. Some of us really experienced a dark period in Warrior history. I remember believing that Mike Davis was going to get over the hump every game and going home disappointed every game. Thankfully we are recruiting different type players today.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 06:25:20 PM »
No offense to guys like Joe Nethen, John Leurck and Rod Grosse, but when I think back to those days, it makes me laugh.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 06:27:56 PM »
Freeport
Makes me cry. I remember first time talking to KO and telling him you have nowhere to go but up. The guys you mentioned, and respect they played for MU, really represented a dark time.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 06:32:12 PM »
Murs
Mike Bargen? Completely forgot about him. Sad to say but that was decent signing for the times. Some of us really experienced a dark period in Warrior history. I remember believing that Mike Davis was going to get over the hump every game and going home disappointed every game. Thankfully we are recruiting different type players today.

My saddest moment was in 1985, I think, when I heard that Marquette had gotten a commitment from a basketball player from Michigan named Rice.  First, I stupidly thought it was Glen Rice, then I found out it was some other player from Michigan also named Rice who was like fifth team all-state in Michigan.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2012, 06:41:03 PM »
No offense to guys like Joe Nethen, John Leurck and Rod Grosse, but when I think back to those days, it makes me laugh.

Joe Nethen was actually a very good player.  Unfortunately, He made Dwayne Johnson look like a genius.  Did he ever qualify?  I don't think so.

Rod Grosse, a top fifty recruit from Minnesota and he was a center!  When he got to MU, he looked liked he'd never played before.  Career numbers roughly equivalent to Ivan Renko.  This was my first awakening to the fallibility of recruiting services.

RealChiliWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2012, 07:26:36 PM »

Rod Grosse, a top fifty recruit from Minnesota and he was a center!  When he got to MU, he looked liked he'd never played before.  Career numbers roughly equivalent to Ivan Renko.  This was my first awakening to the fallibility of recruiting services.
[/quote]

Twenty-five years ago recruiting a Minnesota prep basketball player was the equivalent of Gopher hockey recruiting in Texas.

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2012, 08:51:07 PM »
Much rather have him then Durley. He'd be the highest ranked big man MU has gotten in 20 years. For the most part, any big man signing we had, was a complete joke (i.e. Mbao, Liam McMorrow,etc.)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2012, 09:32:06 PM »
Much rather have him then Durley. He'd be the highest ranked big man MU has gotten in 20 years. For the most part, any big man signing we had, was a complete joke (i.e. Mbao, Liam McMorrow,etc.)

Except he's not a big man. He'll play as big as Novak.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2012, 09:33:08 PM »
Except he's not a big man. He'll play as big as Novak.

Yup.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2012, 09:48:43 PM »
Rodney Hood.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2012, 11:19:06 AM »
With rumors of all these new recruits and transfers possibly coming on board, it sounds like Marquette will have an 18 player squad. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2012, 11:26:51 AM »
MU is gonna hold a seven game series at the AL, all prospective transfers/recruits split on two teams, winning team gets to come to MU.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2012, 10:37:36 PM »
With rumors of all these new recruits and transfers possibly coming on board, it sounds like Marquette will have an 18 player squad. 

Wow, that's one more than Louisville had this year!

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
Nolan going prep school and will reclassify to 2013 according to gopherhole.com

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2012, 08:34:29 PM »
Nolan going prep school and will reclassify to 2013 according to gopherhole.com

So we'll see this thread resurface in a year?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2012, 08:37:01 PM »
This will make 5 schools in 5 years, correct?

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2012, 08:39:20 PM »
So we'll see this thread resurface in a year?
I sure hope so. 6'10" and was hovering around the top 100.....an extra year at prep and he should be solidly in the top 100.  He could very well be in the top 50 next year.  He has length, athleticism, and skills.  That is a good "project" to work with.