[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Deonte Burton  (Read 14097 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Deonte Burton
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2012, 04:07:29 PM »
Lorenzo Dillard is Skip's son, btw....Skip of DePaul fame (and infamy).  Transferred to Niles North from Evanston.

He is very good. My dad coaches at Niles North and thats the same team that had Abdel Nader. From when ive talked to Zo he was very interested in coming to Marquette and I went to the Depaul, Marquette game with him this year and liked our style a lot better. Oh and also he put up 45 in only his 3rd High School game.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2012, 05:41:54 PM »
Honestly, I didn't read anything in the article that you refer to to establish that Deonte will "be the most talented player to come into MU in recent memory", especially since Wade fits into the recent memory category.

He is clearly further along than Wade or Crowder were at this stage in high school, by a mile.  When Wade left I was pretty confident we would never have another player as good as him, and now that Crowder has left I feel pretty confident we will never have a player as good as him either.

But obviously I hope I'm wrong, but for a school that has gotten one five-star player since that system was set up to get two gems like that in a 10 year span is unbelievable.     But if Deonte keeps progressing he good be the top RECRUIT by next year - he is pretty close to Blue - who was just 5-star in one service (and 25th of 25 in that), but you are right we shouldn't interpret that to mean he is going to walk on the court and give us a Wade or even Crowder-life performance.  That's way to much pressure for a kid.  Like thinking Tom Copa was going to be another Ellis or Whitehead.  Copa was a strong but not elite player, and that's all we should hope for, and then get excited if Deonte takes it to another level.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2012, 07:08:46 PM »
He is clearly further along than Wade or Crowder were at this stage in high school, by a mile.  When Wade left I was pretty confident we would never have another player as good as him, and now that Crowder has left I feel pretty confident we will never have a player as good as him either.

I wasn't around then, but the impression I get is that Jim Chones, at least as a collegiate player, was as good or better than both of them. Dean the Dream, Butch Lee, George Thompson...again, before my time, but all very special players. Wade is one of the greatest in the world right now. An incredibly special player. But to say we'll never have another as good, at least at this level (because Wade as a junior was not Wade as a NBA champ), just seems crazy to me. Jae, too. We won't have players the same, but I think we'll have more guys that are first-team All-Americans. More that are conference POYs. More that we look at and simply think "wow, we're lucky to watch these guys pull on the blue and gold."

It won't necessarily be next year, or even the year after, but I think in the coming years, we will see more greats. More guys that equal and exceed our expectations. I'm not saying who, I'm not even saying that person is in our sights at the moment, but I'm very confident we will see more guys as good or better than these greats. And it won't diminish what they did, it will only add to the greatness of our program. And as long as we keep this Buzz guy at the head of the program, with his eye for talent and recruiting acumen, I'm confident it will be sooner rather than later.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 09:29:12 PM »
Don't forget Maurice "the enforcer" Lucas!  He was a BAD man!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Goose

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
Brew
You ate correct on us keeping Buzz we will see elite players like the greats you mentioned. I have seen every great player since Al got here and would say Wade was greatest talent ever to wear Warrior uniform. Other guys might have been better college players, that list is long, but Wade was most gifted. I believe Burton will be very high on the list of great players before his career is over. In addition, Jamil Wilson is a special player and I can see him climb the ladder of MU greats before he is done.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2012, 01:45:58 PM »
Brew
You ate correct on us keeping Buzz we will see elite players like the greats you mentioned. I have seen every great player since Al got here and would say Wade was greatest talent ever to wear Warrior uniform. Other guys might have been better college players, that list is long, but Wade was most gifted. I believe Burton will be very high on the list of great players before his career is over. In addition, Jamil Wilson is a special player and I can see him climb the ladder of MU greats before he is done.

Jamil Wilson is a special athlete, he needs to take his game up a notch or two for him "to climb the ladder of MU greats before he is done."  It's possible, and I'd love to see it , but he'll be entering his fourth year since HS next year and usually the great ones are dominant before then.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 01:51:07 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 01:50:55 PM »
More
Jamil needs to step at least a notch or two and I think he is type of kid that can do it. At times he was too much of a team player this year and I think next year with more high profile role he steals the show. If he does not step it up big time it could be long season. I am banking on him having a coming out party next season.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2012, 03:48:02 PM »
For those of you looking to see some of these guys in action, they will be in Milwaukee this weekend for NY2LA tournament.

TP Elite (Burton) and Mac Irvin (Okafor) are in the tourney -- 17U. I thought Parker was on the team too, but can't confirm. Might be on Ferrari (not in tourney).

They will be playing at Homestead and WI Lutheran.

WI Swing (Bronson Koenig, Nick Fuller, Luke Fischer) and a ton of other teams from outside the area as well.

Here is schedule: http://ny2lasports.com/EventSchedules/masterswishfinal6.pdf

This link is no longer working for me (it was early this week).  Is there a different link that I can find the schedule?  Or better yet, could somebody just tell me if Deonte Burton's team will be playing tonight and if so, what time?  Same with the Mac Irving Fire 17s team.  Is Duane Wilson an a team in this tournament?

Thanks in advance.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2012, 05:06:07 PM »
Love glimpses of his character in this video.

Welcome to MU, Deonte, and I'm proud to call you a Warrior!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NAELrYTWJM
SS Marquette

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2012, 05:16:20 PM »
This link is no longer working for me (it was early this week).  Is there a different link that I can find the schedule?  Or better yet, could somebody just tell me if Deonte Burton's team will be playing tonight and if so, what time?  Same with the Mac Irving Fire 17s team.  Is Duane Wilson an a team in this tournament?
This is the most updated link, but few results for the older kids:
http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=907

They list all of the kids playing, but aside from going up to Homestead, it would be hard to figure out when they are playing. All of the major players are there as you can see from the site. My son's team played at MSOE last night and I intended on going up there after, but I had to see this 6' 3" 6th grader from Alabama playing for WI Playground Warriors. He was good, but they got beat by a team from TX with a 6th grader who could dunk. The talent level is MKE this weekend is insane.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 05:40:29 PM by Freeport Warrior »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2012, 05:17:16 PM »
This is the most updated link, but few results for the older kids:
http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=907

They list all of the kids playing, but aside from going up to Homestead, it would be hard to figure out when they are playing. All of the major players are there as you can see from the site. My son's team played at MSOE last night and I intended on going up there after, but I had to see this 6' 3" 6th grader from Alabama playing for WI Playground Warriors. He was good, but they got beat by a team from TX with a 6th grader who could dunk. The talent level in MKE this weekend it insane.

Thanks for the update.  Maybe I'll try to head out there tonight.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2012, 07:13:26 PM »
Don't forget Maurice "the enforcer" Lucas!  He was a BAD man!

Too bad he never got to play with Chones, because we had a freshman team back then!