[Today at 08:14:24 PM]

Incoming freshmen by tower912
[Today at 08:06:40 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by The Equalizer
[Today at 05:10:01 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Hards Alumni
[Today at 05:06:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NBA draft age rule  (Read 12844 times)

SaveOD238

• All American
NBA draft age rule
« on: April 03, 2012, 10:37:36 PM »
Both John Calipari and David Stern have said recently that they are in favor of raising the minimum draft age by a year.  I think that is a great idea, but I wonder, would raising the draft age help to disperse the top talent?

For example, if Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins, and Orton were still around for 2010-2011, do guys like T. Jones, Kanter, Knight go some where else where they can get more playing time?  If Knight and Kanter stayed (and actually played), do Davis, K-G, and Teague go elsewhere for 2011-2012?

Somehow I dont see UK bringing in top 10 guys every year to ride the pine behind the previous years' top ten guys.  The egos of those players are too big and there just isn't enough space.

MU82

• All American
Re: NBA draft age rule
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 11:13:21 PM »
The answer to your question is "yes."

Any college hoops fan would like to see this, however ...

Raising the draft age won't be easy, given that the NBA and its players just came to terms on a long collective-bargaining agreement that didn't get done until after a lockout almost ruined the season.

Why would the players agree to reopen negotiations on this item? Stern cannot unilaterally make this change without the union. Owners would have to give back something significant, and I don't see it happening anytime soon.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 12:29:17 AM »
^I had heard they left it open for that.  Anyone know?

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 07:53:32 AM »
Basically all the union said is that they'd be willing to form a committee to discuss it.
In order for something like that to be put into play, the league would have to give something back to the players too. Basically they'll use it as a bargaining chip, and Stern said that while he would like to see a change, he is okay with the current one, so I don't see him giving up anything to get it.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:03:55 AM »
I'd love to see kids be able to have the option.  You either go pro after high school or you go to college for 2 years.  That would be my preference.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 08:35:18 AM »
From MU standpoint and college basketball in general, we would want it to go back to not having to wait one or two years. The high school players that are ready for the pros are basically going to go to Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas and Duke, which eliminates anyone else from having a chance of winning the tournament. Do not bother to point out Uconn, they were an elite and now are a nobody.  Sure those four schools will still get the top remaining players, but there is not as big of a talent gap.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 08:50:22 AM »
Do not bother to point out Uconn, they were an elite and now are a nobody. 

I'd take take three championships and NBA talent over the past 15 years and be a nobody.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 08:55:28 AM »
I'd love to see kids be able to have the option.  You either go pro after high school or you go to college for 2 years.  That would be my preference.

I'm ok with companies requiring post high school experience/training, as a minimum qualification, for a multimillion dollar contract.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 08:57:18 AM »
I'm ok with companies requiring post high school experience/training, as a minimum qualification, for a multimillion dollar contract. 

The problem is that it is completely unnecessary.  Anthony Davis should have been able to go right to the NBA.  Lebron James would have just wasted time in college.  Frankly I wish the NBA would simply allow players right out of high school again, but that's not going to happen.

boyonthedock

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 09:21:11 AM »
Uconn's next one and done will be their first.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 09:27:04 AM »

The problem is that it is completely unnecessary.  Anthony Davis should have been able to go right to the NBA.  Lebron James would have just wasted time in college.  Frankly I wish the NBA would simply allow players right out of high school again, but that's not going to happen.

LeBron was physically ready to play in the NBA as a HS junior but even after 10 years in the league he still doesn't understand how to play basketball and how the game works.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 09:32:14 AM »
I think letting the kids go to NBA from HS is the way to go. Understand some kids make mistakes but same holds true with leaving early. I think this levels the playing fields in recruiting a tad and actually improves the college game. The kids that are true one and done's really are not in school for right reason anyways and seems to be dirtier to me. Do any of us really think the UK kids are interested in finishing the school year?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 09:32:47 AM »
LeBron was physically ready to play in the NBA as a HS junior but even after 10 years in the league he still doesn't understand how to play basketball and how the game works.

He understands it well enough to average 27,8,6 a game

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 09:36:58 AM »

I'm fine with that as well, but leave that up to the teams.  No one is forcing them to draft high school players.

MarqBB77-03

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 09:44:07 AM »
The kids should be able to go straight from high school after they receive some feed back from the league about their likely draft status as they do now with the one-and-dones.
"When I'm losing, they call me nuts. When I'm winning, they call me eccentric."  Al McGuire

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 09:57:23 AM »
He understands it well enough to average 27,8,6 a game

While not winning anything.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 10:02:18 AM »

Oh...OK.  According to Merritts, Lebron James "doesn't understand how to play basketball."

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 10:03:29 AM »
While not winning anything.

Steve Nash hasn't won anything that LBJ hasn't...

Steve Nash understands how to play.  Winning doesn't equal knowing how to play.  A lot of dumb basketball IQ guys win.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 10:05:09 AM »
Steve Nash hasn't won anything that LBJ hasn't...

Steve Nash understands how to play.  Winning doesn't equal knowing how to play.  A lot of dumb basketball IQ guys win.

Steve Nash isn't the most physically gifted player in the NBA.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 10:05:14 AM »
The kids should be able to go straight from high school after they receive some feed back from the league about their likely draft status as they do now with the one-and-dones.

I saw something a few weeks ago that more or less because of scheduling there will no longer be much if any feedback from the NBA before kids have to withdraw their names from the draft if they wish to return to school

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 10:08:42 AM »
Steve Nash isn't the most physically gifted player in the NBA.

I was trying to disprove your point that LBJ doesn't know how to play NBA basketball because he hasn't won.  Not that Nash's physical gifts = LBJ's.

Also, you try winning for a Cavs team that for 7 years failed to put any talent that was not declining around you.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 10:10:05 AM »

Oh...OK.  According to Merritts, Lebron James "doesn't understand how to play basketball."

That doesn't mean he's not a great, great player. He's far and away the most talented player in the NBA since Jordan. However, he doesn't understand when to take over a game, how to get everyone involved, how to close or how to put his team on his back and carry them to a big victory. Would a year or two at Ohio State have changed that? We'll never know but I do know that it's tough to find high IQ basketball players who entered the league straight from high school.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 10:12:14 AM »
That doesn't mean he's not a great, great player. He's far and away the most talented player in the NBA since Jordan. However, he doesn't understand when to take over a game, how to get everyone involved, how to close or how to put his team on his back and carry them to a big victory. Would a year or two at Ohio State have changed that? We'll never know but I do know that it's tough to find high IQ basketball players who entered the league straight from high school.

He was going to Duke if he had to go to college.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 10:14:08 AM »

Kobe Bryant...Kevin Garnett...

And Lebron James is a high IQ basketball player.  He oftentimes shrinks in big games, but I don't think that's a function of him not attending college.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 10:15:49 AM »

Kobe Bryant...Kevin Garnett...

And Lebron James is a high IQ basketball player.  He oftentimes shrinks in big games, but I don't think that's a function of him not attending college.

If you think Kobe is a high IQ basketball player then you don't know what the term "high IQ basketball player" means.