Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Outside view of MU  (Read 4808 times)

lab_warrior

• All American
Re: Outside view of MU
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 01:20:27 PM »
Academecians who try to claim that high-level athletics don't help a university's overall profile should have to give their diplomas back.

Can they also have the elbow patches ripped off their tweed jackets, "Branded" style? 

Because that would also be cool.

Warrior3211

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 03:42:38 PM »
This and someone I work with got me thinking about how we're viewed from people that don't know the program. A guy I work with went to the Final Four this weekend and mentioned he got to see the first 75% of this year's "One Shining Moment" wrap up of the tournament. This got me looking at the videos from the last few years and I was disappointed to find that in '09 there is a clip less than a second of Dwight Burke with his head in hands after losing (one that is so fast, only MU fans will recognize), '10 there is absolutely zero footage of MU (completely understandable), '11 there's about a one second clip of just the player's feet huddled up and jumping around before game time. In three years we have three tourney wins and less than 2 seconds total in those videos. So, I figured I'd look at '03, surely we'd have gotten some good shots in a Final Four year. There was probably less than 10 seconds in that video and not one shot of Wade.

I've always felt we get shafted by simple things like this and sometimes highlights on ESPN. These are simple things that make a difference. Big time recruits see the big time programs over and over on tv and that's one way (of many) it all starts for them. Does anyone else feel this way, and feel that it may effect our national reach?

I think this year things got better and that mostly had to do with Buzz, and there's really nothing much we can do to change the way it is except win. If we stay consistent with deep tourney runs, can we become a program that everyone talks about? One where everyone knows where we come from?

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 03:52:48 PM »
I don't keep score, I measure myself against other golfers by height. 

/am 5'11"
/still doesn't score well

Don't sell yourself short, Lab, you're a tremendous slouch.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 04:28:52 PM »
HOW 'BOUT A FRESCA?!  EH?!

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 04:42:10 PM »
This and someone I work with got me thinking about how we're viewed from people that don't know the program. A guy I work with went to the Final Four this weekend and mentioned he got to see the first 75% of this year's "One Shining Moment" wrap up of the tournament. This got me looking at the videos from the last few years and I was disappointed to find that in '09 there is a clip less than a second of Dwight Burke with his head in hands after losing (one that is so fast, only MU fans will recognize), '10 there is absolutely zero footage of MU (completely understandable), '11 there's about a one second clip of just the player's feet huddled up and jumping around before game time. In three years we have three tourney wins and less than 2 seconds total in those videos. So, I figured I'd look at '03, surely we'd have gotten some good shots in a Final Four year. There was probably less than 10 seconds in that video and not one shot of Wade.

I've always felt we get shafted by simple things like this and sometimes highlights on ESPN. These are simple things that make a difference. Big time recruits see the big time programs over and over on tv and that's one way (of many) it all starts for them. Does anyone else feel this way, and feel that it may effect our national reach?

I think this year things got better and that mostly had to do with Buzz, and there's really nothing much we can do to change the way it is except win. If we stay consistent with deep tourney runs, can we become a program that everyone talks about? One where everyone knows where we come from?
The other way is to get some MU grads hired by CBS, ESPN etc as video people.  That's who puts those videos together.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

feedback