[Today at 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:28:57 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by Jay Bee
[Today at 03:22:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJ on the cover of ESPN.com bball section  (Read 7317 times)

Harrison

• Team Captain
Re: DJ on the cover of ESPN.com bball section
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2007, 09:03:21 AM »
Hey Harrison, don't Gottlieb's criticisms of DJ mean that he is ignorant?  You always label those who criticize DJ as being without basketball acumen.

Oz...you made posts saying if DJ came back people would say "is that really DJ?, he sucks".

What i have stated all along, while you make comments like that and throw hatred toward the guy, is that regardless of his pro prospects he has set numerous freshamn and sophomore records, been BE rookie of the year, 1st team BE and led a resurrgence of MU bball after 2 sorry years.

Lastly, Doug Gottlieb is a huge- A-hole, it is clear even his colleagues do not care for him.  When i have called you ignorant i was simply giving you benfit of the doubt

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2007, 09:55:04 AM »
Gottlieb is a very knowledgeable observer----was an extremely smart PG----had he been able to shoot, he would now be a star PG in the NBA!

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2007, 11:30:14 AM »
I like Gottlieb as an analyst of the game and he does add some life with the ESPN crew (especially when paired with Tom Brennan) but forgive me if I don't take his observations on the professional level to heart. Not exactly his strong point.

The one part that bothered me (and it is little) is about the passing. I'm not sure what people want? Are DJ's passes just not pretty enough? Is it his fault if he had a team of masons playing with him? The kid has averaged 5 assists a game his first two seasons. It seems redundant to write that he's not a gifted passer and his decision making needs work, assuming that Gottlieb feels "gifted" passing is a result of sound court vision.

James has certainly been picked apart by this process and perhaps his strong sense of confidence will come in handy.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2007, 11:41:44 AM »
Decision making and passing are not necessarily related. Decision making also involves determining when to shoot, when to take it to the basket, when to try for a steal, switch men on defense, etc. etc.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2007, 12:00:35 PM »
Decision making and passing are not necessarily related. Decision making also involves determining when to shoot, when to take it to the basket, when to try for a steal, switch men on defense, etc. etc.

Yes, I know that. That's why I wrote that "assuming Gottlieb feels 'gifted' passing is a result of sound court vision" it would be redundant to knock his decision making. If he doesn't feel that, he should explain the exact decisions James needs help in making.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2007, 12:55:24 PM »
I think that DJ sees the court exceptionally well and is an excellent passer----the problem though is that he was looking for his shot more than looking to set up others this past season.

Another thing that hurt him this year was that we didn't break as much this past season as we did the year before----so he didn't get in the open court enough. Didn't set up Fitz or Cubilan near as much on the wing for the trey off the break!

The half court game slows DJ down----and we wee forced into the half court game just about every BE game!

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2007, 08:49:04 AM »
and what exactly is the NBA game, Murff? Unless DJ winds up in Phoenix, every NBA game he will play in will be a slow-down, half-court, 84-81 snooze-athon.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2007, 08:56:54 AM »
Harrison,

You're confusing my posts with those of other posters.  I never said that if he comes back that people would be like "he sucks, is that really DJ?".

I believe that was 77Ncaachamps who said that.  Could be wrong, but it wasn't me.

I don't throw hatred towards DJ.  I am pissed about how he played in the second half of the season and also that he is making a stupid decision by remaining in the draft.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2007, 09:18:52 AM »
someone posted about gottlieb nearly coming to MU and then something happening, resulting in him not coming here. anyone have a story about this?

feedback