[Today at 01:41:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU receives $1 million donation for soccer stadium  (Read 10059 times)

mwbauer7

• All American
Re: Division III football
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2007, 12:33:43 PM »
If the University wanted to, they could get donations VERY easily for starting a D-III football program.

and there it is. They don't want to.

snakesinthesnoilet

• Walk-On
Re: MU receives $1 million donation for soccer stadium
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2007, 01:02:22 PM »
i would also have to think that a lacrosse team would be by far a smarter decision for mu to make compared to a DIII football team.  We would have a great new stadium (the new soccer stadium), already have the sport on the club level, and we also have alot of in state high schools that offer lacrosse as a sport which would make for a stable recruiting base since we won't be competing with anyone else for the talent.  Now compare that with the other possibility of having to compete with UW for the top football talent, having no stadium, and no fan support and the picture becomes very clear......but then again either will happen so why argue about it.

deerchaser

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2007, 01:18:13 PM »
How many games did the men's soccer team win this year? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just wondering.  I remember it being very few.

I believe the total was an unsightly 1 (0 Big East).

However, it was a first year coach who is supposed to have brought in a bunch of young talent and completely changed the mentality of the program.  Take that as you will.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 03:43:25 PM by johnnypcarr »

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2007, 01:18:51 PM »
I've always wondered why we didn't pursue a Lacrosse program we could counter the Title IX issue by also offering women's field hockey and I gotta think that after the stadium there really wouldn't be a dire need for continued monitary investments.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2007, 11:44:15 AM »
How many games did the men's soccer team win this year? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just wondering.  I remember it being very few.

very, very few, around 3...but the thing is with last year is that their senior keeper played a lot and let a lot of goals go by...when they played the frosh...very rarely, he was much better but since he didn't have the seniority, I think the coach didn't want him playing as often and just to use him in practice to build his skills for next year.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2007, 02:09:17 PM »
I think Depaul should also get a DIII football team, then they would have a matched set with the DIII B-ball team they've trotted out most of the last 10 years.
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2007, 03:40:21 PM »
New coach changing the entire system and way of thinking at MU.  It'll take a few years.  MU has never been a player in soccer and that will change in next 3-5 years. 

The new upgrade to facilities will help....unfortunately it is still at the hold your nose all game Valley Fields portion of town, not pleasing to the eye either.  But that is where it's gotta go.  Marquette didn't have a press box, a stadium, locker-rooms, quality parking, on and on...slow in getting money for assistants, and pay for coaches in past....a mom and pop operation for a long time.  In order to play and compete in Big East, the upgrades are needed and nice to see. 

Give it 3-5 years and see the progress beginning.  It'll take longer than that to build a program.     

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2007, 09:06:32 AM »
The women's team already has talent on the national level and has shown that they are growing. The men's team has a lot of work to do but watching the younger players that did play last year, I'm seeing a decent chance that they will make a push to have a better soccer program in the next few years. Not near top of conference caliber but they'll be in the pack as opposed to a team in the cellar. The new facility will help and the smell isn't always that bad down in the Valley. ;)

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2007, 11:44:16 AM »
The women's team already has talent on the national level and has shown that they are growing. The men's team has a lot of work to do but watching the younger players that did play last year, I'm seeing a decent chance that they will make a push to have a better soccer program in the next few years. Not near top of conference caliber but they'll be in the pack as opposed to a team in the cellar. The new facility will help and the smell isn't always that bad down in the Valley. ;)

The women's team has FAR less competition.  Illinois, Notre Dame,....and maybe a SLU or KU for women....in Midwest.  That's it.  It hasn't been too different from women's hoops where it toook a long time for more parity etc...getting more parity.

Taking nothing away from the women's team, but comparing women's and men's soccer, isn't comparable.  WAY more competitive teams in men's soccer, more quantity with quality.

Men's soccer will take 5 years to build a winner.  It will not happen next season. 

The smell is bad.  The area is an eye sore, but that is where the facilities are located and what they have.  ANYTHING that helps is welcomed. 

The Menomonee Valley is unfortunately an area that needs a lot of work, and smells.  Wish I could say something more positive about it, but call em like I see em. 

feedback