[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread  (Read 498423 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread
« on: March 20, 2012, 05:49:37 PM »
Have fun reading this exercise in futility.

http://ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60597
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:53:25 PM by SoCalwarrior »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
Re: SMU Fans' Thread on Getting Buzz is Adorable
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 06:03:56 PM »
OMG ::)
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

chapman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 06:04:56 PM »
DePaul needs a team it can beat up on.  After all these years of being the doormat, they've earned it.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 06:08:29 PM »
You're right, it's cute.
I won't bring the Buzz to Illini thread to the top of the board again, so I'll make my comment here, but that idea/hope was getting some play on Chi radio this morning.  Mulley and Handley is the morning show on 670 and Brian Handley is an MU guy so they convo went to Buzz and how he'd be a great fit for the Illini.  They they proceeded to play a bunch of comments from his post game conference and compare his hoarse voice to Thibs. "The butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker" had them going.
The latest on Shocka was then that he is going to stay at VCU "unless something changes in the next 24 hrs". The reporter of that story implied that that change is a S. Smart ploy for more $.
I'm sure these aren't the only two places talking about Buzz.

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 06:08:56 PM »
Why does everyone think that SMU has a huge athletic budget? Last I heard, they were 98 million in the red for the past decade. Does anyone know why their fans think they can outbid 2.6 mill a year? Am I missing something?

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 06:10:57 PM »
Ha, and I thought our fan base was delusional.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 06:12:52 PM »
Is everyone with an internet connection and electricity automatically an expert on Buzz Williams?  What happened to that nut at the Sun-times that said his "sources" said Buzz's buyout is only 100k and is going to the Illini?  How is that story working out?

Stop doing this.  Only post from people that have a fracking clue.

P.S.

The one thing that did make sense is at the very end ... Tony Benford to SMU.  That would be a good hire for them.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 06:15:12 PM »
Why does everyone think that SMU has a huge athletic budget? Last I heard, they were 98 million in the red for the past decade. Does anyone know why their fans think they can outbid 2.6 mill a year? Am I missing something?

Probably because of their endowment.  They are one of probably 50 schools in the country with an endowment over $1billion.  On a per student basis, that is north of $100K per student.  Very impressive.

Marquette ain't close to that level, about $400 million

http://www.marquette.edu/endowment/endowment-performance.shtml
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 06:31:43 PM »
Probably because of their endowment.  They are one of probably 50 schools in the country with an endowment over $1billion.  On a per student basis, that is north of $100K per student.  Very impressive.

Marquette ain't close to that level, about $400 million

http://www.marquette.edu/endowment/endowment-performance.shtml

I knew they had a very impressive endowment, but athletic budget's aren't directly related to endowment. A university can only use so much of their endowment each year, or otherwise it loses it's economic purpose. Harvard would be unstoppable with their endowment of $32 billion, if that were the case  ;D

The Process

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 06:32:34 PM »
Relax. Respect the Process.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 06:40:38 PM »
Can anyone name a conference cellar dweller program with no legacy in hoops that hired a "big name".and it worked?

I don't see Tubby Smith at Minnesota or Oliver Purnell at Depaul. Tearing it up.

Hire a hot assistant like Benford and let him go to work.  That is how its done.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 06:48:14 PM »
Can anyone name a conference cellar dweller program with no legacy in hoops that hired a "big name".and it worked?

I don't see Tubby Smith at Minnesota or Oliver Purnell at Depaul. Tearing it up.

Hire a hot assistant like Benford and let him go to work.  That is how its done.

Couldn't agree more. Doug Collins is floating Chris Collins' name for the U of I job and the subject of Northwestern came up. Doug Collins, to his credit, wouldn't discuss NU because technically Carmody still has the job. Anyways, I thought about how getting the "next" guy instead of some re-tread is absolutely the way to go for a program in need of a coach.

All the current "hot names" were sitting on some other HC's bench a couple of years ago. Find them first. Thibs and the Bulls is a perfect example. 

Only exceptions I can think of are when the dominoes fell and Roy Williams went to UNC and Bill Self went to Kansas.
We Are Marquette

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 07:03:29 PM »

After reading the SMU thread, your photo is way too kind.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 07:58:37 PM »
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 08:02:31 PM »
All joking aside...SMU has a basketball team?

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 08:07:34 PM »
The best part about that board is the concern that the DMN reporter having compromised some key insider in the organization.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

The Process

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 08:15:56 PM »
"It's SMU... It's SMU"

Seriously, though, is that reporter doing lines off of her laptop?  She could have just as easily said Roy Williams/Coach K/Bill Self and it would have been equally absurd.
Relax. Respect the Process.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 08:59:40 PM »
"It's SMU... It's SMU"

Seriously, though, is that reporter doing lines off of her laptop? 

She's not NOT licking toads!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Xd9CnUK3jA&amp;fs=1&amp;source=uds" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3Xd9CnUK3jA&amp;fs=1&amp;source=uds</a>

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 09:13:21 PM »

Boom :)

muwarrior97

• All American
  • Team Whiny Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 09:30:02 PM »
Saw the SMU bball team in DFW baggage claim last year couple times....no charter so must be like a club team, get a young asst. and go to work
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 09:33:43 PM »
A billion dollar endowment and they fly commerical ... not a serious bball program.

It all about factilities and resources and SMU is screaming they are second rate.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 10:43:08 PM »

I knew they had a very impressive endowment, but athletic budget's aren't directly related to endowment. A university can only use so much of their endowment each year, or otherwise it loses it's economic purpose. Harvard would be unstoppable with their endowment of $32 billion, if that were the case  ;D

I know, but my supposition is their followers know there are vast amounts of $$$ in the school and probably think that means they can get anyone they want.  How much was June Jones paid for football? 

They will need to upgrade their basketball budgets in a big way to play in the Big East and I suspect that was agreed to by them upon their acceptance to the conference.  What they do today and what they spend in the coming years will be different.  Similar to how Marquette stepped up considerably in their expenditures.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 11:42:37 PM »
some funny tweets about Buzz to SMU:

SMU wants to interview Buzz Williams? I mean I get they should aim high but that is ridiculous.

Why should SMU have to settle for making a run at Buzz Williams? Phil Jackson isn't doing anything right now

SMU is targeting Buzz Williams to be its men's basketball coach. There is more of a chance of me coaching SMU next year than Buzz Williams.

So SMU will "make a run" at Buzz Williams. And I'll make a run at Kate Beckinsale.

SMU is looking at Buzz Williams? Odds of that happening are roughly the same as my odds of dunking a basketball. # zilch # shortwhiteguy

DMN says SMU will make a run at Marquette's Buzz Williams SMU must found way to turn empty seats into $$$

SMU wants to go after Buzz Williams? Why not Tom Izzo or Bill Self?

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 08:54:21 AM »
I hear Marquette is alright with this move because Coach K wants to make a move to the Midwest.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 08:56:41 AM »

"Probably the saddest thing you'll ever see is a mosquito sucking on a mummy. Forget it, little friend."

-Jack Handy
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback