[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: You want Motivation Marquette players and Buzz?  (Read 9512 times)

drbchilds

• Starter
You want Motivation Marquette players and Buzz?
« on: March 19, 2012, 05:47:39 PM »
I just watched a roundtable of "Expert Analysts"  that spoke about the remaining sweet 16 teams and basically, said Marquette has no chance against the Gators.

They said that Florida is too good and too well coached compared to Marquette.

They said Marquette only has two players who can score, while Florida has 4-5 that can score 20.

Georgia Basketball Coach Mark Fox, when asked why he didn't land Georgia native, Jae Crowder, insinuated that Jae might not have been eligible out of High School and didn't land him because he had just got the Job at Georgia........blah, blah, blah

Cadougan is inconsistent and causes way too many turnovers and can’t cover Florida’s guards, who are far superior

Then Bob Valvano started blasting us saying something similar to this:  “Don’t confuse Marquette’s high activity level with getting anything done.”

He also said “They will go into ten minute droughts where they can’t score.”

and something to the effect of: "This is an average team masked by Crowder’s ability on the court."

The Panels(Myron Metcalf, Matt Doherty, Mark Fox, Bob Valvano and about 3-4 others) overall message and consensus:  Florida is going to kick our ass.

I am so fired up for Thursday night!!!!!!!  Bring them on.......
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:24:28 PM by drbchilds »

GOMU85

• Starter
Re: You want Motivation Marquette players and Buzz?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 06:04:59 PM »
I just watched a roundtable of "Expert Analysts"  that spoke about the remaining sweet 16 teams and basically, said Marquette has no chance against the Gators.

They said Marquette only has two players who can score, while Florida has 4-5 that can score 20.

Georgia Basketball Coach Mark Fox, when asked why he didn't land Georgia native, Jae Crowder, insinuated that Jae might not have been eligible out of High School and didn't land him because he had just got the Job at Georgia........blah, blah, blah

Cadougan is inconsistent and causes way too many turnovers and can’t cover Florida’s guards, who are far superior

Then Bob Valvano started blasting us saying something similar to this:  “Don’t confuse Marquette’s high activity level with getting anything done.”

and something to the effect of: "This is an average team masked by Crowder’s ability on the court."

The Panels overall message and consensus:  Florida is going to kick our ass.

They were wrong about everything accept for Cadougan. However, I still think we will win

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 06:06:26 PM »
34 years of losing is motivation enough. These guys are focused and hungry....Dream Big!

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 06:07:14 PM »
They were wrong about everything accept for Cadougan. However, I still think we will win

Especially if he plays as poorly as he did against Murray State, right GOMU85?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 06:35:13 PM »
I say "Good"!   let FU come on the court expecting a patsy

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 06:42:15 PM »
34 years of losing is motivation enough. These guys are focused and hungry....Dream Big!

These guys are not close to 34 years old, let alone experiencing 34 years of losing.  They are very likely focused and hungry, but their motivations and ours are not the same.

I'm sure the "Expert Analysis" will mean far more to them than it ever could to any of us.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Albert Gator

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 06:55:02 PM »

The Panels overall message and consensus:  Florida is going to kick our ass.

Good luck on Thursday night.

OK, enough of the pleasantries. These are college basketball coaches and former coaches making their opinions known.  They may be wrong but hard to argue with what they said in the games I have seen you play.

Our coach has two national titles, three Final Fours, an Elite 8, SEC titles.  Buzz appears to be a good coach, but has two Sweet 16s.  The experts are right

Marquette has two main scorers and then a big drop off.  Only two of your players scored on Saturday.  They accounted for 55% of your scoring total.  Gardener can get some points for you in some games vs some opponents. Stop Odom or Crowder, either one, and you stand a great chance to win the game.  Even let those two guys get their average and who is going to step up?  What are you guys going to do next year when those to leave?  The experts are right.

Crowder went to a JUCO one assumes to have his grades improve and his basketball prospects.  Considering no one landed him out of high school, probably a safe assumption on Fox's part.

Your point guard is entirely too inconsistent, dribbles the ball too high and throws passes that do not need to be thrown.  Your other guard, Blue, is a defender only.  Mayo has some game, but he is a freshman.

Valvano's comment is a rehash of the John Wooden quote.  10 minute droughts sounds extreme but Marquette does go into a shell at times.  Saturday was a perfect example.  A couple of droughts. The Big East championship was another similar game.  Crowder and Odom do mask the rest of your team.  You are missing a third scorer to scare someone.  You are gutty and tough, but nothing they said was a stretch.

We are playing better of late.  You lost to LSU and Vanderbilt at home.  We beat both those teams.  We are ranked 12th in the Ken Pomeroy rankings while you are 17th.  

Florida will not kill Marquette, but we will win by 8.  Good luck on Thursday.  We expect to win this game.  We have a better, more seasoned coach, better athletes across all 12 members and we are playing well.  You probably feel the exact opposite.  Looking forward to the game.

Gators

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 06:58:55 PM »

Georgia Basketball Coach Mark Fox, when asked why he didn't land Georgia native, Jae Crowder, insinuated that Jae might not have been eligible out of High School and didn't land him because he had just got the Job at Georgia

Just tuned in when he was talking about this and he actually insinuated that he could not get into an SEC school out of high school but he was recruiting him even though he was brand new to the job.  Sounded like he was making it up on the fly.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 07:01:16 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 07:06:27 PM »

OK, enough of the pleasantries. These are college basketball coaches and former coaches making their opinions known.  They may be wrong but hard to argue with what they said in the games I have seen you play.

Our coach has two national titles, three Final Fours, an Elite 8, SEC titles.  Buzz appears to be a good coach, but has two Sweet 16s.  The experts are right

Marquette has two main scorers and then a big drop off.  Only two of your players scored on Saturday.  They accounted for 55% of your scoring total.  Gardener can get some points for you in some games vs some opponents. Stop Odom or Crowder, either one, and you stand a great chance to win the game.  Even let those two guys get their average and who is going to step up?  What are you guys going to do next year when those to leave?  The experts are right.

Crowder went to a JUCO one assumes to have his grades improve and his basketball prospects.  Considering no one landed him out of high school, probably a safe assumption on Fox's part.

Your point guard is entirely too inconsistent, dribbles the ball too high and throws passes that do not need to be thrown.  Your other guard, Blue, is a defender only.  Mayo has some game, but he is a freshman.

Valvano's comment is a rehash of the John Wooden quote.  10 minute droughts sounds extreme but Marquette does go into a shell at times.  Saturday was a perfect example.  A couple of droughts. The Big East championship was another similar game.  Crowder and Odom do mask the rest of your team.  You are missing a third scorer to scare someone.  You are gutty and tough, but nothing they said was a stretch.

We are playing better of late.  You lost to LSU and Vanderbilt at home.  We beat both those teams.  We are ranked 12th in the Ken Pomeroy rankings while you are 17th.  

Florida will not kill Marquette, but we will win by 8.  Good luck on Thursday.  We expect to win this game.  We have a better, more seasoned coach, better athletes across all 12 members and we are playing well.  You probably feel the exact opposite.  Looking forward to the game.

Gators

Thanks for the view from the other side.  I'm sure you'll understand if MU shows up as scheduled, on Thursday.  Good point about our losses to LSU and Vanderbilt, you do remember that little misadventure your team had in Big East territory, don't you?  Rutgers, I think.  Yes, yes, we did beat Rutgers, as did almost everyone in the Big East.

What are you guys going to do next year when those to leave?  The experts are right.

I'm just going to assume that you realize that this game will be played this year, sorry.

When you're talking about the lives of college students, "safe assumptions" do not cut it.  Safe assumptions are also not the stuff of responsible journalism.  Crowder was planning on playing football in college (he was a QB) until he hurt his hand in HS, and started to focus on basketball late.  He went to JUCO because he couldn't get a decent scholarship offer for a basketball scholarship out of HS.  There never was a grade problem, "safe assumptions", aside.

I'm looking forward to the game, as well.  Good luck, may the best team win.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 07:10:52 PM by LittleMurs »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 07:06:30 PM »

Not so sure.  If saying he has had some poor games means he is inconsistent, then sure.  Every player has a bad game here and there.  We won 27 games and many of which came for solid performances from JC.  He is fine.

And didn't we play a top PG and we still won?  Don't know why but ESPN loves Florida.  Every time they win, those guys talk about how they are the sleeper to win it all.  When they lose, crickets.  Let's just beat them and listen to Izzo's experience versus Buzz's.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 07:09:24 PM »
Not so sure.  If saying he has had some poor games means he is inconsistent, then sure.  Every player has a bad game here and there.  We won 27 games and many of which came for solid performances from JC.  He is fine.

And didn't we play a top PG and we still won?  Don't know why but ESPN loves Florida.  Every time they win, those guys talk about how they are the sleeper to win it all.  When they lose, crickets.  Let's just beat them and listen to Izzo's experience versus Buzz's.

ESPN has a contract with the SEC.  As recent events have shown, that is all it takes.

Albert Gator

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 07:10:43 PM »
ESPN has a contract with the SEC.  As recent events have shown, that is all it takes.

ESPN has a contract with the Big East, also.  The ACC, the Big Ten, the Big 12, the Pac 12. 

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 07:11:44 PM »
ESPN has a contract with the Big East, also.  The ACC, the Big Ten, the Big 12, the Pac 12. 

Rutgers?  Were there some injuries that game.....just wondering?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 07:13:20 PM »

Gators

Astute analysis!  ::) There are so many things wrong with your post I don't even know where to start. First of all, you say "shut down" Odom or Crowder, and you win. Easier said than done, my friend. Don't you think every teams game plan is to shut those two down?? Not many have succeeded. That's compounded by the fact that the Gators don't play defense. Since you like Pomeroy ratings, why not point out that your adjusted D rating on Pomeroy is 74?? That's the worst of any team still left in the field. So how exactly does Florida intend to "shut down" DJO or Crowder??

Second, again, citing your favorite Pomeroy ratings, lets take a look at the Adjusted Tempo, shall we?? Florida is 219 MU is 15. There's simply no way, Florida has seen a team as fast or as quick as MU this year, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt they haven't seen one as physical. The SEC is soft in comparison to the BE. MU is the toughest team left in this tournament, mentally and physically. You won't stop MU's penetration, you won't out rebound MU and you sure as hell won't run with MU. Make 10 3's minimum and you may win, otherwise, your team will be going back to Gainsville licking their wounds, literally.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 07:16:32 PM »

ESPN is in the process of renewing/extending its contract with the Big East.  When the Big East did not jump at their first offer, ESPN called the ACC and pushed them to invite Pittsburgh and Syracuse to join.  At least this was the story that the Boston College athletic director was crowing about until his president told him to lawyer up.

Our University's President had an interesting response when he was asked how many major conferences would survive.  He said two, The Fox Conference and The ESPN Conference.

timinatorx3

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 07:22:03 PM »
Shoot! Albert Gator has figured out what coaches of other teams have failed to figure out 27 other times this year - just stop DJO and Crowder. Let's hope he doesn't tell coach Donovan or we're done for!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 07:35:43 PM »
Albert Gator, you have a valid point about stopping Crowder and DJO.   The problem is you guys gave up 85 to freakin Rutgers.   Only Sacred Heart and Maryland-Baltimore county gave up more to Rutgers.   Rutgers takes two games to score 85 in the B-East.    Maybe it has occurred to you that EVERYBODY tries to stop Crowder and DJO.
    Anyway, Donovan is a great coach and a  two time  national champion.    Those teams would have given MU problems because they were long and could play defense, which is the key to stopping MU, which are not strengths of this year's Gator team.     
    You guys can shoot.   If you stay hot, you probably win.    But MU likes to play in the 70's also.   The key to stopping MU is to have a shot-blocker, backboard controller in the paint, and to have long wings who can play back in the driving and passing lanes but still close on the shooter.    I am not seeing a defensive big man or long wings on your team.       Should be fun.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 08:02:09 PM »
Astute analysis!  ::) There are so many things wrong with your post I don't even know where to start. First of all, you say "shut down" Odom or Crowder, and you win. Easier said than done, my friend. Don't you think every teams game plan is to shut those two down?? Not many have succeeded. That's compounded by the fact that the Gators don't play defense. Since you like Pomeroy ratings, why not point out that your adjusted D rating on Pomeroy is 74?? That's the worst of any team still left in the field. So how exactly does Florida intend to "shut down" DJO or Crowder??

Second, again, citing your favorite Pomeroy ratings, lets take a look at the Adjusted Tempo, shall we?? Florida is 219 MU is 15. There's simply no way, Florida has seen a team as fast or as quick as MU this year, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt they haven't seen one as physical. The SEC is soft in comparison to the BE. MU is the toughest team left in this tournament, mentally and physically. You won't stop MU's penetration, you won't out rebound MU and you sure as hell won't run with MU. Make 10 3's minimum and you may win, otherwise, your team will be going back to Gainsville licking their wounds, literally.

You know they played Kentucky 3 times right? Kentucky is a team full of lottery picks.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 08:28:22 PM »
How many times did they beat UK?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 08:32:28 PM »
You know they played Kentucky 3 times right? Kentucky is a team full of lottery picks.

So?? I'm fully aware that they played UK 3 times. But, UK is not as fast as MU, nor are they as physical as MU, correct?? Now, if I said "they haven't played a team as talented as MU", your point about UK would be correct.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 08:39:45 PM »
I just spent about 2 whole minutes looking at Florida's schedule on ESPN and have a couple of honest questions:

What is Florida's best win?  Vandy?  FSU?  Alabama?

What is their best road win?  Alabama?

Can one of the stats guys do a rundown of their best wins vs our best wins using RPI/Ken Pom or something similar?  I suspect we've beaten far better teams than they have. 

In other words...looking a little deeper, doesn't look to be that impressive of a resume.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 08:45:59 PM »
Gator - How many teams from this year's Sweet Sixteen has Florida beaten?  MU beat three including UW on the road.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 08:48:34 PM »
Gator - How many teams from this year's Sweet Sixteen has Florida beaten?  MU beat three including UW on the road.

Ooooh, point very well taken!

The Process

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 08:55:45 PM »
Marquette has two main scorers and then a big drop off.  Only two of your players scored on Saturday.  They accounted for 55% of your scoring total.

Hold on here...I know I "only" went to Marquette, but is it just me or does his logic sound flawed?  First, he says that only two of MU's players scored on Saturday.  Then he says that they accounted for 55% of MU's scoring total.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that up there with saying

Stop Odom or Crowder, either one, and you stand a great chance to win the game.  Even let those two guys get their average and who is going to step up?  What are you guys going to do next year when those to leave?  The experts are right.

And in other late-breaking news:

And you lost to freaking Rutgers.  That's like losing to 8th seeded Butler as a two seed.  Oh... wait...
Relax. Respect the Process.

feedback