[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: DJ Struggles on first day  (Read 4397 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
DJ Struggles on first day
« on: May 31, 2007, 01:28:25 AM »
Another point guard hoping to impress the scouts is Marquette's Dominic James. The All-Big East first team selection joins Cook as the only U.S. players at camp who didn't complete at least three collegiate seasons.

Since he has yet to hire an agent, James is still eligible to return for his junior year. He may need to come up with a big performance this week - as well as in private workouts - to impress NBA personnel enough to know teams will be willing to use a pick on him come draft day.

James has shown good quickness and driving ability, and has done a solid job trying to get teammates involved. But playing in the same backcourt with Cook in Wednesday night's final game, James went scoreless as he missed three shots from the field and he failed to record an assist.

"This is an important step for me as far as the camp goes," said James, who averaged 14.9 points and 4.9 assists as a sophomore. "I really wanna come out here and perform well just so they can see I can run a team in a different manner than what I did in college because it's different personnel and it's a different style game when you get into the NBA."

It wasn't a style many players grasped Wednesday night.

-----------------

Lewis and Cook's point guards — Marquette's Dominic James and Wright State's DaShaun Wood, had different experiences running their five-minute, full-substitution intervals.

While James was 0-for-3 with no points and no assists, Wood shot 3-of-7 (just missing a couple tough layups) for six points, had five rebounds and two assists.

Wood said he's "100 percent" confident he belongs on the court with these players: "I thought I defended pretty well, made smart plays, got into the lane a lot."

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: DJ Struggles on first day
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 02:38:22 AM »
Reminds me of an Everly Brothers' song: "Dreaaaaam. Dream, Dream, Dreammmmmm."
SS Marquette

jtate15

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 03:01:22 AM »
"Chad Ford was on hand for the first full day of Orlando predraft camp. Here's who didn't fare so well:
The Ugly
Dominic James, PG, Marquette
0 points, 0 assists in 20 minutes

I think I want to take back all that lobbying I did on behalf of James this week to get him into the camp.

He has speed and strength, but he was the only player here to do virtually nothing in the game. If that's not the signal he needs to go back to Marquette, I don't know what is. " ESPN NBA Daily Dime.

I hope DJ is keeping an eye on ESPN's coverage of him, for next his future's and MU basketball's sake.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 09:19:23 AM »
"Chad Ford was on hand for the first full day of Orlando predraft camp. Here's who didn't fare so well:
The Ugly
Dominic James, PG, Marquette
0 points, 0 assists in 20 minutes

I think I want to take back all that lobbying I did on behalf of James this week to get him into the camp.

He has speed and strength, but he was the only player here to do virtually nothing in the game. If that's not the signal he needs to go back to Marquette, I don't know what is. " ESPN NBA Daily Dime.

I hope DJ is keeping an eye on ESPN's coverage of him, for next his future's and MU basketball's sake.

What a flawed process. The sheep-like action of NBA talent evaluation and scouting is laughable. What if DJ goes out and plays well in his remaining Orlando days and has strong workouts next week? They'll still point to this game as evidence he is not good enough.

No wonder they have players like Tskitishvilli and Swift and Sene in the first round and players like Arenas, Ginobili, and Millsap in the secound round.