[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Offseason Thread  (Read 22303 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: NFL Offseason Thread
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 05:16:22 AM »
I'm not so good at the internets.  Is this the place where I say, 'I told you so', to everyone who said Matt Flynn wouldn't get signed this offseason to be a starting QB?  I think this is the place.

Just kidding, I'm real good at the internets.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 10:56:28 AM »
Per Adam Shefter...

Peyton Manning to Denver. Tim Tebow to be traded.

So much for the Broncos savior.. and Elway's conviction to Tebow

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012, 11:33:06 AM »
this was the perfect opportunity for Broncos brass - they've wanted out of Tebow since they inherited him from the McDaniels regime. The Peyton scenario is literally the only solution within the realm of possibility that could allow them to ship Tebow off without a total fan coup.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2012, 11:44:08 AM »
If Peyton is really seeking a Super Bowl, doesn't SF make a lot more sense than Denver?

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2012, 11:45:50 AM »
If Peyton is really seeking a Super Bowl, doesn't SF make a lot more sense than Denver?
He might think the best shot is the AFC at this point.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2012, 11:58:32 AM »

Staying in the AFC he avoids playing his brother in the playoffs.  Since no one wants to play QB for Miami maybe Tebow goes back to his home state and plays for Miami or maybe JAX.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2012, 12:10:42 PM »
He might think the best shot is the AFC at this point.

possibly. I just think SF is a better team by far. Defense, RB, OLine, etc. Maybe Eli was that big of a deal to him.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 12:53:14 PM »
Per Adam Shefter...

Peyton Manning to Denver. Tim Tebow to be traded.

So much for the Broncos savior.. and Elway's conviction to Tebow

Why wouldn't they just keep tebow as the backup and have peyton teach him how to actually pass the ball?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012, 01:32:30 PM »
Why wouldn't they just keep tebow as the backup and have peyton teach him how to actually pass the ball?

Its because the Broncos are sick of actually having Tebow on the roster, and all the fan pressure that comes with it. They feel like they're stuck with him and don't want to have him sitting on the sidelines as the savior-in-waiting. If in a year or two, Peyton's neck explodes (probably at least a 50/50 chance) then they're right back where they started. Also 50/50 is that Tebow never learns to become a decent pocket passer, again in which case the Broncs are stuck with him.  Bringing Peyton in and quickly rushing Tebow out the door is the only chance the Broncos front office has to get rid of him without taking a huge hit for it.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2012, 03:28:32 PM »
Its because the Broncos are sick of actually having Tebow on the roster, and all the fan pressure that comes with it. They feel like they're stuck with him and don't want to have him sitting on the sidelines as the savior-in-waiting. If in a year or two, Peyton's neck explodes (probably at least a 50/50 chance) then they're right back where they started. Also 50/50 is that Tebow never learns to become a decent pocket passer, again in which case the Broncs are stuck with him.  Bringing Peyton in and quickly rushing Tebow out the door is the only chance the Broncos front office has to get rid of him without taking a huge hit for it.

And they don't want the Tebow fanatics to be screaming for him to play in place of Manning.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 12:02:59 PM »
Sean Payton suspended for a year and they lose 2 2nd round picks.

Tebow and maybe a 7th round pick to the Jets for a 4th round pick and 6th round pick.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 12:26:42 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2012, 12:04:04 PM »
Sean Payton suspended for a year and they lose 2 2nd round picks.

Tebow to the Jets for a 4th round pick.

Gregg Williams suspended indefinitely - Goodell will decide on possible reinstatement at conclusion of 2012 season. Saints' GM suspended 8 regular season games without pay. $500,000 fine. Assitant head coach Vitt suspended first 6 games.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 12:06:21 PM by jesmu84 »

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
Tebow to the Jets for a 4th round pick.

Somebody needs to tell Jets management that making SportsCenter headlines doesn't correlate to winning.

The Sanchez/Tebow QB derby is going to be a circus for the ages.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2012, 12:37:20 PM »
Somebody needs to tell Jets management that making SportsCenter headlines doesn't correlate to winning.

The Sanchez/Tebow QB derby is going to be a circus for the ages.

ESPN's collective head exploded at the thought of Tebow in NYC.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2012, 12:42:52 PM »
Twitter Tracker

Antonio Cromartie ‏ @ACromartie
 Y bring Tebow in when we need to bring in more Weapons for @Mark_Sanchez let's build the team around him. We already signed to 3 year ext.
2 hours ago.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2012, 12:47:37 PM »
ESPN's collective head exploded at the thought of Tebow in NYC.

I hope ESPN paid the Jets to make this trade... Because from a football perspective, it makes zero sense.

Sanchez is already a besieged QB that Jets fans want thrown to the wolves... Why are the Jets bringing in a extremely polarizing backup QB that fans are going to rally around? It would be one thing if Tebow was better than Sanchez, but that's not the case.

If I was a Giants or Pats fan, I would be laughing my butt off right now.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 12:49:29 PM by RJax55 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2012, 02:37:43 PM »
Hey everyone, did you hear that? 

That was the sound of the Saints becoming the 'Aints again.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
I hope ESPN paid the Jets to make this trade... Because from a football perspective, it makes zero sense.

Sanchez is already a besieged QB that Jets fans want thrown to the wolves... Why are the Jets bringing in a extremely polarizing backup QB that fans are going to rally around? It would be one thing if Tebow was better than Sanchez, but that's not the case.

If I was a Giants or Pats fan, I would be laughing my butt off right now.

Jets and Broncos hit a snag in Tebow's contract.  Could nullify the deal and potentially Tebow could be headed to St. Louis.  As a Jets fan, I really hope this happens - I have zero interest in adding Tebow.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2012, 04:35:08 PM »
Jets and Broncos hit a snag in Tebow's contract.  Could nullify the deal and potentially Tebow could be headed to St. Louis.  As a Jets fan, I really hope this happens - I have zero interest in adding Tebow.

How do they even reach an agreement on a deal without knowing about the $5 million payback clause?

nyg

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2012, 04:35:45 PM »
Tebow may go to Jacksonville now, where he will be a "god" status.

BTW, Payton loses 7.5 Million..........plus any incentives.......Holy crap.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2012, 04:45:05 PM »
How do they even reach an agreement on a deal without knowing about the $5 million payback clause?

No idea.  I didn't get a chance to read anything about it so I did not know what the snag was, just heard about it from a friend.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
Tebow may go to Jacksonville now, where he will be a "god" status.

Jags have to get this done from a ticket sale perspective, not from a football perspective.  (speaking as a Jaguar season ticket holder.) 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2012, 05:53:47 PM »

BTW, Payton loses 7.5 Million..........plus any incentives.......Holy crap.

From a football perspective, do you have to fire him? What good does it do to have a coach that isn't around the team for a year?  The discontinuity of his not being there would be immense. I think he's a great coach, but to have the franchise move on for a year then have him back seems like more uncertainty and discontinuity than firing him and moving on.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2012, 08:12:40 PM »
Man oh man, what wild day in the NFL.

Can't believe Tebow picked the Jets over Jags, on so many different levels, blows my mind. The whole Tebow "thing", between the cult following, sucking as a QB, but a decent/good NFL player otherwise, being allowed to pick the team he was going to be traded to and picking the seemingly terrible situation vs the seemingly perfect situation...only Tebow.

Still to come for the Saints are the player suspensions, which could be just as crippling.

Lost in the shuffle was RG3's pro day. Not that pro day's mean a ton, but hearing he blew people away.

Considering how crazy this offseason has been, would the Colts actually end up taking RG3 over Luck?

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2012, 08:23:39 PM »
Man oh man, what wild day in the NFL.

Can't believe Tebow picked the Jets over Jags, on so many different levels, blows my mind. The whole Tebow "thing", between the cult following, sucking as a QB, but a decent/good NFL player otherwise, being allowed to pick the team he was going to be traded to and picking the seemingly terrible situation vs the seemingly perfect situation...only Tebow.

Still to come for the Saints are the player suspensions, which could be just as crippling.

Lost in the shuffle was RG3's pro day. Not that pro day's mean a ton, but hearing he blew people away.

Considering how crazy this offseason has been, would the Colts actually end up taking RG3 over Luck?

Hey, thank you. I always respect your NFL analysis, and entirely missed the RG3 stuff today.
What do you think about MUBurrow's comments on Sean?  That franchise has gone through so much.
Ludum habemus.