Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oops  (Read 4063 times)

PVMagic

• Starter
Re: Oops
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 06:44:18 AM »
I was actually at the game, a couple of thoughts:

1) The place was rocking.  It helped that UC hit huge shots and had a couple of runs, but it was certainly a tough environment.  UC is also a very good basketball team.  We need to be on to win it, and it simply wasn't our night.  The mental errors (some of which seemed to be out of frustration, which surprised me) were out of character, hopefully they don't continue.

2) They were better w/o Gates (obviously they made their first half run without him) because of Justin Jackson.  Talking to the UC fans, he's a great shot blocker in limited minutes.  His substitution let them play faster, closed up the lane (really made me miss Otule) and had a couple of swats in transition that took away points and brought the crowd back into it.  We really missed Gardner, as with his bulk I think he would have really troubled Jackson.

3) We missed a couple of open threes in the first half that gave me the gut feeling we wouldn't be coming back (as was mentioned here earlier).  When the half started I had a little hope again but after UC responded I never really doubted the outcome (not unusual given the score, except for this year).

4) No one likes Jae Crowder.  He simply terrifies the opposing teams fans.  Same w/ DJO.  I haven't seen an MU game live since early last year, and I was much closer to the court, but holy crap, Crowder is even bigger than I thought.  If he doesn't make it in the NBA, perhaps he'll play TE for the Packers.

5) Despite the foul trouble, I was impressed w/ Jamil's D.  It hurt not having any fouls to give though, as I thought they were largely letting them play underneath as the game went on.  We really had to give them a lot of shots inside while they could play a little more physically on the interior (a lot of contact on some of those blocks, but thats BEast ball).

6) I've never been in an opposing arena and heard it booming with an "Over-rated" chant.  It really doesn't carry the sting you'd think it would.  Maybe I was just too comfortable with losing because it "just wasn't our night", with the double bye locked up, and (barring a 3 game losing streak into the tourney) a likely 2-3 seed, but I just kind of laughed.  That being said, I'd love to see them in the tourney again.

7) Tiptoeing into dangerous territory, but a couple different UC fans made comments about Crean (including one who said "I don't understand why you let him go."  I laughed).  Most were impressed with the way that MU has kept playing at a high (higher) level since his departure, and like Buzz (including the dance).

All in all, I would have loved to have seen a win, but I can't say I'm surprised with the loss (though wish it wouldn't have been a blowout).  As long as we craft this into a learning experience and sharpen up mentally (and get Gardner back... even in spurts for scoring and a few fouls) my very high opinion of this team hasn't changed.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 07:18:15 AM »
Are you guys really pointing fingers at Anderson and Jones? Cadougan was absolutely awful last night. Brutal. I will say that, despite some bad shots, I thought Blue was really hustling out there and once again came up with some really strong rebounds.

PVMagic

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 07:31:38 AM »
I will say that, despite some bad shots, I thought Blue was really hustling out there and once again came up with some really strong rebounds.

Agreed.  Maybe he's not the offensive monster we envisioned, but we are a much better team with Blue.  His three looks awful, but he had to throw up more last night with no one else hitting than he normally does.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 07:44:19 AM »
Are you guys really pointing fingers at Anderson and Jones? Cadougan was absolutely awful last night. Brutal. I will say that, despite some bad shots, I thought Blue was really hustling out there and once again came up with some really strong rebounds.

Agree that horrible game was total team effort and Cadougan was as bad as I have ever seen him.  But we were up 11-9 when J Wilson went to the bench with his second foul and things fell apart irrevocably and immediately right then and there.  Anderson and Jones were so overmatched (unplayable) we had to bring back J Wilson, who had to play "carefully" to avoid further trouble.

While I certainly don't blame the bench for last night's bad performance, it is obvious there are no answers or even help coming from there, either.  Other than the slumping Mayo, seems to me Buzz only wants to go to the bench now when he absolutely has no other choice.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 07:52:54 AM »
Seems to me we were a very deep team when we started the year -- which afforded us the success when some injuries occurred.  Depth-wise we are kind of back to the team we were a few years ago. 

Bobby Knight summed it up best when asked if you can make a deep run without a big -- loose quote "you have to play error free basketball and so far its been working for them".

feedback