[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: There Is No Doubt...  (Read 4016 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
There Is No Doubt...
« on: May 07, 2007, 08:10:47 PM »
had the Kentucky job filtered down to TC, that Rick Majerus would have gone after the Warriors' head coaching spot with all his weight behind it. Listening to him, now, since taking the SLU gig, he speaks passionately about all things important to him and keeps reflecting back to Marquette.
And, I think its a good bet MU would have taken the bait. I'm not convinced, however, that Rick would have been the right guy for the job. I think his motivation for coaching at this point in his career, is not centered completely on wins and losses. I think he just wants to get back to teaching the game and let the pieces fall where they may.
As far as Marquette and Rick goes, we probably will never know how it would be to have Majerus coaching the Warriors once again, at least not next season.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
Re: There Is No Doubt...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 09:58:03 PM »
You would've been happy in that scenario, because Crean would be gone and your theory that hundreds of top candidates lining up for the MU job would be put to the test.

I'm happy that Majerus is coaching again.  Hopefully he can get SLU back to respectability and turn that program to a younger, less morbidly obese coach to take the reins in the long-term.

I'm just glad that I don't have to hear his Cheesehead accented O-fense on ESPN any more.

Good for Rick.  He's a good guy, and a good rep for MU, and its nice that we won't be playing against him.

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 10:07:17 PM »
had the Kentucky job filtered down to TC, that Rick Majerus would have gone after the Warriors' head coaching spot with all his weight behind it. Listening to him, now, since taking the SLU gig, he speaks passionately about all things important to him and keeps reflecting back to Marquette.
And, I think its a good bet MU would have taken the bait. I'm not convinced, however, that Rick would have been the right guy for the job. I think his motivation for coaching at this point in his career, is not centered completely on wins and losses. I think he just wants to get back to teaching the game and let the pieces fall where they may.
As far as Marquette and Rick goes, we probably will never know how it would be to have Majerus coaching the Warriors once again, at least not next season.

Not sure I concur with much of what you said.  As for Majerus, one, he wants to win, period.  Two, if he doesn't he won't last there long with the unprecedented commitment they now have to be more competitive in men's hoops.  He'll get a fair shake...but he better have an NCAA team there within the next few years.  He isn't a cariacature.  He is expected to win.  That said, he knows that and I think he will do fine. 

4everwarriors

• All American
Oz, My Man,
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 10:32:54 AM »
If you remember correctly, I also said UK wouldn't want Crean while there were more qualified candidates on the table. That said, had the situation arose, MU would have been just fine in selecting a suitable successor.

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
Yes, I know
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 06:57:55 PM »
I enjoy giving you crap about your anti-Crean rants.

So, what is your prediction for the upcoming season?

4everwarriors

• All American
Likewise, Oz
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 08:39:48 PM »
As of now, I predict a very similar season to this past one. If Mbakwe overachieves, then it could easily be a Sweet 16 team with or without James. But, that's a lot to put on a freshman.
Otherwise, the Warriors will win one game in the BE Tourney, be invited to the Dance as a 7 seed, go one and done again, and PRN and I will be calling for Crean's testicles on a skewer. Chicos and other blind apologists will continue to preach the good fortune of having a $1.5 mil. coach who can't recruit any studs over 6'0" and who we should continue to give a pass to since things could always be worse.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mviale

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 09:37:59 PM »
a BBall coach that doesnt want to win? What kind of logic is that. I also think rick excels in less stressful situations where he isnt expected to win.  At MU, some would expect a return to final four.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 09:45:38 PM by mviale »
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

4everwarriors

• All American
I Never Said He...
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 09:47:29 PM »
doesn't want to win. What I did say, however, is his motivation in getting back to coaching at this time is not centered on wins or losses. Rick really enjoys teaching the game and recognizing and developing talent.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 10:04:48 AM »
Personally, I was hoping for that very scenario.  My concern a month or so ago was that the Kentucky job did trickle down to Crean but that by then Majerus had already taken the Iowa or Arkansas jobs. 
It is my sincere belief that the MU program would take off under Majerus, now we would not have the song and dance marketing program that seems to be all encompassing but I strongly beleive the recruiting and the on the court performance would have shot straight up.  Majerus' cache with recruits and AAU and HS coaches is very high not only due to his ESPN work but due to his amazing job at Utah.  Additionally, he is 100 times the coach Crean is not necessarily knocking Crean, Majerus is 100 x a better coach than many and I feel x's and O's is truly Crean's weakest point.  Bottom line is if Majerus can take Utah to 10 NCAA's with all the dificulties of recruiting and winning in Utah he could do even better in Milwaukee.  Majerus achieved much more success in Utah than Crean has in Milwaukee under extraordinarily more difficult circumstances.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 11:32:17 AM »
and I feel x's and O's is truly Crean's weakest point.  Bottom line is if Majerus can take Utah to 10 NCAA's with all the dificulties of recruiting and winning in Utah he could do even better in Milwaukee.  Majerus achieved much more success in Utah than Crean has in Milwaukee under extraordinarily more difficult circumstances.

Well said, Harrison

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 10:59:56 AM »
100X  ?

feedback