'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

What is the greatest MU individual game performance SINCE NOVAK'S 41/16 (which was getting 91% of the vote)?

11-21-06 James/Duke 25 pts, 3 reb, 67% eFG, 5-6 FT, 7/1/1 Ast/Stl/TO vs. Duke
3-22-08 McNeal/Stanford 30 pts, 8 reb, 60% eFG, 0-0 FT, 2/1/3 Ast/Stl/TO Stanford
1-4-09 McNeal/Cincy 26 pts, 5 reb, 125% eFG, 1-2 FT, 6/0/2 Ast/Stl/TO Cincy (best stats on this board, but weakest opponent)
3-20-09 Hayward/Utah St 26 pts, 8 reb, 75% eFG%, 5-6 FT, 0/0/1 Ast/Stl/TO Utah St - 45% of MUs pts in a 58-57 NCAA win has to be a record %
11-27-10 DJO/UWM 29 pts, 4 reb, 89% eFG%, 4-4 FT, 3/0/1 Ast/Stl/TO UWM - streak would have ended without him
2-18-12 Crowder/UConn 29 pts, 12 reb, 71% eFG%, 9-10 FT, 1/3/0 Ast/Stl/TO UConn - also drew 5 fouls on the No. 2 NBA prospect in the country
Another game - did I miss one?
11/27/06 James/Valpo 22 pts, 0 Reb, 58% eFG, 11-13 FT, 3/1/2 Ast/St/TO vs. Valpo - scored last 18 Marquette points included two three pointers in final minute to win by 3
1-7-2009 Matthews/Rutgers 23 pts, 6 reb, 100% eFG%, 3-6 FT, 2/2/1 Ast/St/TO – 10 of 10 from floor in 81-76 over Rutgers
1/21/07 James/Pitt 23 pts, 1 reb, 57% eFG, 5/0/0 Ast/St/TO fouled going 1 on 3 at end of OT & hits both FTs to give No. 6 Pitt 1st home loss of season

Author Topic: What is the greatest individual game performance since Wade?  (Read 12417 times)

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
What is the greatest individual game performance since Wade?
« on: February 19, 2012, 12:34:31 AM »
OK, I believe you have to consider Jae Crowder's performance yesterday as potentially the best player performance since Wade dominated #1 Kentucky.  I listed several stats for everyone including eFG%, which for those of you who don't follow is field goal percentage but you add an extra half shot made for every three-pointer made.  So Jerel McNeal went 9 for 10 against Cincinnati including 7 for 7 on treys so he basically went "12.5 of 10" for an 125% eFG%.  That was the most efficient performance, but at home against a weaker opponent.  Novak's 41/16 to kick off MUs inclusion in the Big East is the most overwhelming stat stuffer.  But the clutch games of James to beat Duke, McNeal to almost stun Stanford, and Hayward's performance against Utah State in a 1-point tournament game played in the 50s may have been the biggest impact one player had on a game.  But when you see how Jae's stats stack up and consider he did this matched up against the #2 NBA prospect in the nation, you have to consider it to.  Tell me if I'm missing one, but most of the other big point games were done on less than 50% shooting from the floor.  And of course:

3-29-03 Wade 29 pts, 11 Reb, 75% eFG%, 5-6 FT, 11/1/4 #1 Kentucky - I know, some would criticize him for having twice as many turnovers as they grilled DJO for today, but it was still a decent performance for our only win ever over a #1

The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Eye

• All American
Re: What is the greatest individual game performance since Wade?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 12:59:45 AM »
I obviously voted Novak #1 on the poll (all 7 so far). But without thinking about it too much I'd have put McNeal vs. Cincy at #2 and Crowder yesterday at #3. Going back 20 years, I'd include Tony Miller vs. the Rodents in 94-95, Hutch at UL in '96 and Diener in the second round vs. Mizzou in the list. If thinking about '03 through Novak in '06, maybe Novak's game at UL in '05?
GO WARRIORS!

bamamarquettefan

• All American
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 02:05:21 AM »
I believe your logic is very sound in the order on your top 3.  McNeal vs. Cincy was by far the most efficient performance, I mean 7 of 7 on treys?  But because it turned into a blowout and was less pressure, I agree that you have to put Novak in the pressure of debuting in the Big East and maybe today because of such a tougher matchup on the road.  But hey, i just liked remembering all of these games and thanks for adding the other incredible outings!
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 02:24:12 AM »
I went with the Novak game because it has the added weight of being a "Hey, what's going on in this conference?" game.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 03:32:56 AM »
I would put Mcneal against stanford in a losing effort.  He carried us through the 2nd half and ot if i remember correctly, and i recall him hitting 3 threes in a row in ot.  Still have nightmares of that lopez shot.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 05:09:05 AM »
Had to vote Novak. I feel that performance set the tone for everything MU has done since. Being the gritty underdog that can compete with anyone, being one of the most consistent teams in the Big East, getting the unexpected guys drafted, it was a statement game that we've kept alive for seven years running.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 05:16:03 AM »
Had to vote Novak. I feel that performance set the tone for everything MU has done since. Being the gritty underdog that can compete with anyone, being one of the most consistent teams in the Big East, getting the unexpected guys drafted, it was a statement game that we've kept alive for seven years running.

Get to bed.  ;D

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 07:19:44 AM »
Since Wade, Novak. However, I think the greatest individual game performance by an Marquette player was in 1976 when Butch Lee single handedly nearly defeated the USA in the olympics.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 07:39:11 AM »
Dominic James to end the Valparaiso game. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 07:53:14 AM »
Since Wade, Novak. However, I think the greatest individual game performance by an Marquette player was in 1976 when Butch Lee single handedly nearly defeated the USA in the olympics.

ABSOLUTELY. We were the Olympic giants and Lee almost singlehandedly slayed Goliath

Danny Noonan

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 08:47:50 AM »

That was an outstanding performance in the 2nd half. Crean hugged DJ all the way off the court and Homer Drew was very classy and made an effort to get to DJ to congragulate him. When leaving Valpo's gym, I thought DJ was on his way to be an All-American and possible NBA lottery pick.

I picked Novak's Big East Opener but McNeal's Stanford game was a close second.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 11:10:20 AM »
With Novak's 41/16 vs. UConn getting about the same percentage as his FT% (91%), I took out that option to make it a little more interesting, and added JAmes vs. Valpo per suggestion.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 11:33:43 AM »
What did James do in the Valpo game? 

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 11:44:05 AM »
What did James do in the Valpo game? 
Scored the last 18 MU points, including the game winner.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 11:58:52 AM »

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2006-11-27-roundup_x.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOSHyRvkuCU

Thanks for reminding me of that one.  When I pulled up the article and clip of the final shot, I realized that game was the game after the Duke game I listed as perhaps the greatest performance since Wade/Novak.  No matter who you pick on this list, I doubt anyone could top those two games by James as the top back-to-back games played by a Marquette player without going back a long way.

Also, agree completely that Butch Lee’s game for Puerto Rico is the best game ever played by a player on the Marquette roster.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 11:59:01 AM »
Is there a video of that game anywhere?

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 11:59:36 AM »
Novak by far.  Showed we could compete in the Big East and set the tone.  Why isn't that an option in the poll?
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 12:10:43 PM »
Read the entire thread, boiler. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 12:13:30 PM »
Read the entire thread, boiler. 

Changing polls midstream?  What is the point of having the poll?  Shouldn't the title then be changed to "WHAT IS THE 2ND GREATEST INDIVIDUAL GAME PERFORMANCE SINCE WADE AFTER STEVE NOVAK"   ;D
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

bamamarquettefan

• All American
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 12:21:18 PM »
Changing polls midstream?  What is the point of having the poll?  Shouldn't the title then be changed to "WHAT IS THE 2ND GREATEST INDIVIDUAL GAME PERFORMANCE SINCE WADE AFTER STEVE NOVAK"   ;D
Yes, I actually couldn't figure out how to change the subject itself, but Novak is the champion and everyone else is fighting for 2nd best game since Wade :-)

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 01:01:23 PM »
Didn't Wesley go something like 12 for 12 from the floor in one game his senior year?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 01:23:12 PM »
Get to bed.  ;D

But that was when I got up :D
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 01:39:20 PM »
Didn't Wesley go something like 12 for 12 from the floor in one game his senior year?
Good catch - I added his 10-10 against Rutgers in a tight 5-point win.

If anyone voting for another game has one in particular shoot it to me and I'll add it to the list.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 01:52:52 PM »
Went with James against Valpo  Another great performance, probably the most memorable to me would be James at Pitt in '07.  Stats don't really say it, but it was gutsy: http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/pittsburg_01_21_07

bamamarquettefan

• All American
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 02:17:36 PM »
Went with James against Valpo  Another great performance, probably the most memorable to me would be James at Pitt in '07.  Stats don't really say it, but it was gutsy: http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/pittsburg_01_21_07

Great addition.  4 of 6 on treys, 7 of 8 from line, 5 assists to no turnovers and fouled going one on three to with less than a second left in ot to beat the no. 6 team on the road.  Wow, I'm considering changing my vote to that one!  I went to the game at Pitt when DJ was injured his senior year, and the fans were coming up to me and talking about that game and asking if he was going to be back.  Made an impression!

feedback