Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: This one takes the all time cake...  (Read 4320 times)

Harrison

• Team Captain
This one takes the all time cake...
« on: November 16, 2006, 04:02:34 PM »
All I can say is unbelievable...for a long time the Scout board and this Dodds guy has been referred to as an MU mothpiece and shill.  To those posts I laughingly agreed.  but his pot today over the uniform deal, as an alum is really no laughing matter.  He states the it is really no big deal and says it happened due to turnover in the SID area and because Crean was 2 when George graduated.  That is pathetic. There are 36 available numbers in basketball, we have 5 retired.  Pretty simple that leaves 31 open. He goes on to state that Novak wore 20 despite it being retired, that is BS he was wearing it before the number was retired.  He also said Rivers then should not have worn 31!!!! 31 was retired 15 years after Doc left!!  That is pure BS meant to defray the slight and assumes everyone reading it to be a moron.  For Crean and MU to offer Lazar 24 without consulting one of the guys that belongs on the Mt. Rushmore of MU athletics is pathetically disrespectful.  I as an alum am embarrased.  George Thompson is more important and means more to this program than the number Lazar wears.  I guarantee if they retire a number for Crean or his meal ticket's, #3, it will never be worn again.  Then for the moderator of Scout to stand in the face of the storm and completely defend it is pathetic I will never post on that board again.  I am afraid too much power has been given to Crean as the University bows down to him.  We give retired numbers away under some BS guise of a change in policy depspite what my Media guides say.  IWB also stated we would soon run out of number..Horsefeathers!!...hell we have retired 6 in 90 years and we have 30 more available maybe that issue or change in policy can be discussed in another century or two.  My suggestion... in 200 years would be to have any living players with retired numbers at least involved for informational sake!!  Sort of remids me of the whole changing of the needing to graduate to have your number retired.  Seems to me we are smacking tradition in the face atleast most can call a spade a spade.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 04:07:29 PM by SoCalwarrior »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: This one takes the all time cake...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 04:14:12 PM »
Harrison...

As you may have noticed, even in the thread here, there's a lot of different opinions on whether numbers should retired.  Though I do think that most agree that MU should have at least let George know that the number would be used, and he should have gone directly to them with his complaints.

On that topic, I'd also ask that you reconsider posting your comments about Dodds/Scout/IWB on MUScoop.  They're allowed their opinions, and you can debate those opinions with them right on their board.  Since they don't post here, all you're doing is stirring up controversy between the two sites, which is not what I want to promote. 

I don't like to go around modifying or deleting posts & threads, so keep things in check and we'll all be happy.  Stick to the GT issue, and all is well.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 04:52:51 PM by rocky_warrior »

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 04:52:54 PM »
Rocky's edit: PRN!  Did you even bother to read my post???  Stick to the GT issue.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 05:01:01 PM by rocky_warrior »

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 06:31:06 PM »
Rocky... that is fine, but that really burns me up.  Regardless of where you stand on the whole issue ...retire numbers of uniforms, is really not the point.  The point is another board is saying it happened because our caoch was 2 and that therefore he somehow did not even know about George!? Or that because 20 was retired while Novak was playing it set a precedent!? Or maybe the gretest that we ware in some dire starights of about to run out of numbers!!  Dont get me wrong I am more than PO'd about the handling of this situation by the AD, in so much as george was made aware of it by someoen outside the administartion.  That is classless!! You do not do that and you sure damned well do not do that to George Thompson.  While Crean has down a fine job I am also not happy with this changing of tradition on the graduation isue as well.  Mr. cords will recieve a letter in the next few days.  It just added fuel to the fire when People actually would try to defend the indefensive actions using those BS excuses.  Their is blindless devotion but that is pathetic.  I dont wish to drum up any ill will between the boards, although I would say you seem to be one heck of alot more congenial than them after they twisted your olive branch the way they did a few weeks ago.  Talk about another incredible misrepresentation!!!  That board has been struck from my favorites column.  So going forward I guess I cannt make any comments about there propoganda.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 06:55:56 PM »
The thing that bugs me: There has to be animosity between MU and George (beforehand) for this issue to ever arise.  The simple truth is that both sides could have avoided the bad PR, but apparently never decided to extend that generosity.  I don't get it.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 08:11:53 PM »
For GT to get that upset publicly-----there must be something other than just his number being used to rile him like that-----then too for TC to apply that number to someone else out of disrespect for George would indicate the possibility of a fued here.

Apparently George didn't leave the broadcast booth under the best of terms-----and there must have been words about that previous to the latest incident!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 08:16:19 PM »
All I can say is unbelievable...for a long time the Scout board and this Dodds guy has been referred to as an MU mothpiece and shill.  To those posts I laughingly agreed.  but his pot today over the uniform deal, as an alum is really no laughing matter.  He states the it is really no big deal and says it happened due to turnover in the SID area and because Crean was 2 when George graduated.  That is pathetic. There are 36 available numbers in basketball, we have 5 retired.  Pretty simple that leaves 31 open. He goes on to state that Novak wore 20 despite it being retired, that is BS he was wearing it before the number was retired.  He also said Rivers then should not have worn 31!!!! 31 was retired 15 years after Doc left!!  That is pure BS meant to defray the slight and assumes everyone reading it to be a moron.  For Crean and MU to offer Lazar 24 without consulting one of the guys that belongs on the Mt. Rushmore of MU athletics is pathetically disrespectful.  I as an alum am embarrased.  George Thompson is more important and means more to this program than the number Lazar wears.  I guarantee if they retire a number for Crean or his meal ticket's, #3, it will never be worn again.  Then for the moderator of Scout to stand in the face of the storm and completely defend it is pathetic I will never post on that board again.  I am afraid too much power has been given to Crean as the University bows down to him.  We give retired numbers away under some BS guise of a change in policy depspite what my Media guides say.  IWB also stated we would soon run out of number..Horsefeathers!!...hell we have retired 6 in 90 years and we have 30 more available maybe that issue or change in policy can be discussed in another century or two.  My suggestion... in 200 years would be to have any living players with retired numbers at least involved for informational sake!!  Sort of remids me of the whole changing of the needing to graduate to have your number retired.  Seems to me we are smacking tradition in the face atleast most can call a spade a spade.

Each school does it differently.  Kentucky has retired 36 numbers.  North Carolina 30 numbers, Duke 11, Louisville 18, Kansas 19, etc, etc.

Some retire jerseys, some retire numbers, some retire a combination of both.

I went through some examples on our blog of what various schools do.  I can understand George's frustration.  I cannot understand his reaction in the press....call MU and work it out.  I'm more inclined to think there might be some rough spots between GT and the department prior to this but I'm only speculating.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 09:04:00 PM »
If we are Duke, Kentucky, UNC or something like that we can begin to worry about changing the policy when it becomes an issue.  We have 5 retired numbrs...leaving 31 up for grabs for the 12-13 kids.  i think that is enough.  In a couple hundred of years if we get short of numbers we can change the policy.  regardless, if you are going to chnage the policy and allow someone to where a previously retired number...well the job is really not that difficult.  There are what only 5 people you absolutely make sure it is Ok with...Kojis, George, etc.  Also, it will not be discussed on this board but George has been basically crap on directly and indirectly for the last 2-3 years and I think he just had had enough.  As a MU alum I am emabrrassed by their treatment of George and that is what my letter will focus on. 40 years of service from an MU icon does not deserve that.  An apology by Crean and Cords at this point is futile, apologies are OK with unitentional actions not a series of intentional disrespects.

tomahawkchop

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 10:31:26 PM »
Also, it will not be discussed on this board but George has been basically crap on directly and indirectly for the last 2-3 years and I think he just had had enough.  As a MU alum I am emabrrassed by their treatment of George and that is what my letter will focus on. 40 years of service from an MU icon does not deserve that.  An apology by Crean and Cords at this point is futile, apologies are OK with unitentional actions not a series of intentional disrespects.

AMEN!

I don't know if you know how right you are.

Most people just bow down before Wild, Cords and Crean, but George won't just bend over and take MU's crap.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 10:44:14 PM »
I assume you are talking about George no longer being the color analyst on Marquette broadcasts.

There are many people that would argue his departure was a good thing, others see it differently.

If you believe he was "crap" on the last few years, what would you say about what the university did for him the previous years when they gave him a job as an analyst?  It works both ways fellas.

People here hardly bow down to anyone.  Just read many opinions on the GOLD, the 1290 radio station move, the non-conference schedule, etc.  Plenty of criticism to go around.

Based on your response on George, it seems to me that it adds fuel to the speculation that he's a bitter guy that went to the Journal and not the other way around.  A little payback.  I hope that isn't the case, but your presentation makes a strong case that this is what happened.  An unfortunate scenario if true.  And if Crean or the athletic department deliberately gave out his number with the purpose of disrespecting Thompson as you claim, then an equally unfortunate and petty thing to do if true.

MarquetteDano

• All American
Athletes egos
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 07:29:36 AM »
From reading the poll at the JS, I am evidently in the 20% minority, as most don't agree/believe in the jersey retirement thing.  Regardless, I am always amazed at athletes room filling egos.  I love the quote from him at the JS saying he was the "front man" for the McGuire Center (funny... it is not called the Thompson Center) and "all he did" for the University citing his colour analyst job on TV/Radio.  Strange because I thought that they paid him for that job.   :-\

I still like George, his colour commentary was entertaining at times, irritating at others, but his ego is unquestionably large.

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 08:16:32 AM »
While Crean has down a fine job I am also not happy with this changing of tradition on the graduation issue as well.  Mr. cords will receive a letter in the next few days. 

I believe that "tradition" started with crean when dwyane left early.  I don't know if you can really call that a tradition being a couple years old for 1 guy. 

I see this argument from both sides, however i am going to side more with Marquette in the fact that George shouldn't have gone directly to the media.  that was as classless as giving a player the number off of a retired jersey.  As for you talking about no one wearing "crean's meal ticket #3"  Of course no one will wear it, at least not till wade is as old as George.  A lot of these kids are coming to this program because of that meal ticket and that number means something to them.  when wade is up there in age and far retired, maybe someone will sport number 3.  by the way, if you are upset about crean getting a meal ticket in wade, I'm OK with the whole thing because i was able to enjoy a lot of those leftovers.

by the way, Harrison, you are entitled to your opinion just like everyone else, but is this issue worth getting this worked up over.  Go ahead and write your letter, I'm sure cords will file that away securely in the old shredder.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 08:23:42 AM by rocky_warrior »
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

feedback