[Today at 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Crowder and the NBA on SI.com  (Read 4393 times)

TempoFree

• Walk-On
Crowder and the NBA on SI.com
« on: February 15, 2012, 03:41:35 PM »

7. Who's the most underrated player on the board?
While most of the national attention focuses on projected lottery picks, there's typically a player or two who slips through the cracks. Despite interminable speculation, even NBA evaluators miss, as with DeAndre Jordan in 2008 (No. 35 pick) and Landry Fields in 2010 (No. 39).

This year, that second-round sleeper could be Marquette's Jae Crowder. The 6-foot-6, 235-pound forward lacks first round size, but still possesses the skills needed to contribute at the next level. He's spearheaded the Golden Eagles to a 21-5 record (10-3 in the Big East) and, after notching double-doubles in four of his last eight games, is starting to creep onto the NBA radar. He compensates for unremarkable athleticism with physicality, court-savvy and effort.

"I don't even know if he's gonna show up on a draft board," said a scout. "But every night, [Crowder] gets 16 points, six or seven rebounds, two steals, a blocked shot and takes a charge. He's clearly helped himself."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/ben_glicksman/02/15/nba.draft.prospects/index.html#ixzz1mUNih06u

StillWarriors

• All American
Re: Crowder and the NBA on SI.com
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 03:51:04 PM »
....and he's a Warrior!

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 09:54:14 PM »
Jae's a poor man's Shane Battier. His PER is off the charts. I've been saying all season that he gets drafted. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in 1st Round.
We Are Marquette

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 09:56:06 PM »
Jae's a poor man's Shane Battier. His PER is off the charts. I've been saying all season that he gets drafted. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in 1st Round.

I'd almost be surprised if he was anything but the last pick of the first round.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 02:30:25 AM »
I'd almost be surprised if he was anything but the last pick of the first round.

With DJO going higher?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 07:05:46 AM »
With DJO going higher?

Not a chance.  DJO is too short to play the 2 in the NBA.  He doesn't have the ball skills or the game style to play PG in the NBA.  He is a tweener... He can score the ball and play D in college, but the NBA is a whole different game.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 07:29:23 AM »
Not a chance.  DJO is too short to play the 2 in the NBA.  He doesn't have the ball skills or the game style to play PG in the NBA.  He is a tweener... He can score the ball and play D in college, but the NBA is a whole different game.

Dude bro.  If you don't our support team man, just don't cheer for us.  You are not even a real fan, can't believe you said that crap.  Just a HATER!

Signed,
GOMU85
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:31:06 AM by reinko »

susie90

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 08:47:20 AM »
Well someone HAS TO get drafted last in the first round so I can fall off the couch again - Crowder.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 08:53:41 AM »
Not a chance.  DJO is too short to play the 2 in the NBA.  He doesn't have the ball skills or the game style to play PG in the NBA.  He is a tweener... He can score the ball and play D in college, but the NBA is a whole different game.

I don't know.  I think the closest comparison for what DJO could be in the NBA is Ben Gordon.  Similar size, similar skill set.  Gordon is the better player, no doubt, but DJO could fill a similar role.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 09:00:08 AM »
I don't know.  I think the closest comparison for what DJO could be in the NBA is Ben Gordon.  Similar size, similar skill set.  Gordon is the better player, no doubt, but DJO could fill a similar role.

Another Piston, Vinnie Johnson, is a better comparison.

www.basketball-reference.com › Players › J
Vinnie Johnson. Vincent Johnson (Vinnie, Microwave). Position: Guard ▪ Height: 6-2 ▪ Weight: 200 lbs.
We Are Marquette

GOMU85

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 09:14:54 AM »
Dude bro.  If you don't our support team man, just don't cheer for us.  You are not even a real fan, can't believe you said that crap.  Just a HATER!

Signed,
GOMU85

Wow you remember me?! Glad I made such a huge impact in your life:)

How are you doing this morning?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 09:32:44 AM »

Vinnie Johnson. Vincent Johnson (Vinnie, Microwave). Position: Guard ▪ Height: 6-2 ▪ Weight: 200 lbs.

He was my favorite Piston during the Bad Boy era.   He was closer to 6', but he could get his shot off in the paint over McHale, Kareem, anybody.   And rebound in traffic.    An awesome 3rd guard. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 09:33:19 AM »
7. Who's the most underrated player on the board?
While most of the national attention focuses on projected lottery picks, there's typically a player or two who slips through the cracks. Despite interminable speculation, even NBA evaluators miss, as with DeAndre Jordan in 2008 (No. 35 pick) and Landry Fields in 2010 (No. 39).

This year, that second-round sleeper could be Marquette's Jae Crowder. The 6-foot-6, 235-pound forward lacks first round size, but still possesses the skills needed to contribute at the next level. He's spearheaded the Golden Eagles to a 21-5 record (10-3 in the Big East) and, after notching double-doubles in four of his last eight games, is starting to creep onto the NBA radar. He compensates for unremarkable athleticism with physicality, court-savvy and effort.

"I don't even know if he's gonna show up on a draft board," said a scout. "But every night, [Crowder] gets 16 points, six or seven rebounds, two steals, a blocked shot and takes a charge. He's clearly helped himself."
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/ben_glicksman/02/15/nba.draft.prospects/index.html#ixzz1mUNih06u
I'm not really sure how you can compare Jordan to Crowder. Jordan didn't slip through the cracks. The guy was projected top 10 talent all the way til the month of the draft. He is the anti-crowder who had all the talent but didn't put it together at the college level. Crowder is more of a Jordan Hill type player who put up stats in college but I am still a doubter that he can make it on the NBA level.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 09:35:47 AM »

Yep, great comparison.  I was thinking only of current players.  Wasn't sure if everybody remembered "the Microwave."

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 09:45:12 AM »

Stop being so negative.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 09:55:23 AM »

Awesome cup of coffee this morning, great job, 401K is doing solid, family and friends doing well.  Overall, not too shabby.

GOMU85

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 10:25:24 AM »
Awesome cup of coffee this morning, great job, 401K is doing solid, family and friends doing well.  Overall, not too shabby.

+1000

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 10:53:09 AM »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204880404577225562995441868.html?mod=lifestyle_newsreel

Nice MU press this morning in the WSJ.... mentions Jae as a NBA sleeper and on the same page different story Novak gets some love with Lin and the Knicks...

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 12:11:37 PM »
Not a chance.  DJO is too short to play the 2 in the NBA.  He doesn't have the ball skills or the game style to play PG in the NBA.  He is a tweener... He can score the ball and play D in college, but the NBA is a whole different game.
With DJO's explosiveness and refined finishing ability coupled with his silky-smooth jumper he has a chance of going in the first round. Yeah, he's undersized but the NBA isn't exactly going to suffocate you with their defense nor do they expect you to. Whatever DJO lacks in size, he makes up for in offensive ability and his defense is good enough to get by even if he gives up a couple of inches. I can't tell you how many times I've used the term NBA-ready after a play DJO made this year. He's going to be an average-to-good NBA player.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 12:19:06 PM »
With DJO's explosiveness and refined finishing ability coupled with his silky-smooth jumper he has a chance of going in the first round. Yeah, he's undersized but the NBA isn't exactly going to suffocate you with their defense nor do they expect you to. Whatever DJO lacks in size, he makes up for in offensive ability and his defense is good enough to get by even if he gives up a couple of inches. I can't tell you how many times I've used the term NBA-ready after a play DJO made this year. He's going to be an average-to-good NBA player.

I disagree.  He's a great college player, but he will not be a first round pick and I struggle to see him being a good NBA player.  I hope I'm wrong, but to me his decision making and ball handling are nowhere near where they need to be to be a point guard in the NBA, and that is what his size will cause him to be in the NBA.  There's a reason there aren't many 6'2" shooting guards in the NBA.  It's much harder to get a shot off in the NBA when shooting guards who are defending you are 6'5" with long arms and you're 6'2".  He dribbles the ball insanely high for a guard (as does Cadougan, not sure why both of our guards do that).  He definitely knocks down some difficult jumpers and can shoot the rock, but getting those shots off will be difficult for him in the NBA.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 12:29:25 PM »
In a world where Eddie House can float around the league I find it hard to believe that DJO won't find himself a roster spot somewhere.  If you can put the ball in the hoop at the rate DJO does you find a spot.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 12:38:16 PM »

And Jae isn't a tweener? They both are, but DJO would score the ball in the NBA.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 01:23:14 PM »
I've been on these boards several times (albeit under a previous login name - not Chicos though) saying that DJO didn't have the size to play in the NBA.  But the more I watch him this year I can really see him finding a spot in the league.  Very solid outside shot and a good finisher.  He has been consistent in bringing a solid effort just about every night.  Honestly it wouldn't shock me either way.  His workouts will be crucial.

There aren't many sure fire lottery picks that will come through MU, but we get guys who are able maximize the impact of the skills they have and mitigate their weaknesses by playing smart and working hard.  Remember that Novak was too slow and unathletic, Hayward was undersized, Butler lacked athleticism.  They all got into the first round.

MUMBA

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 01:30:11 PM »
Slightly off topic - The print version of SI had a story of NBA draft sleepers that included a pic of DJO along with a brief write up saying his speed would be of interest to NBA teams, and it acknowledged the lack of size for a 2.

Way off topic - the same issue had an article on 'Cuse which featured some photos from the Marquette game, and their article on Lin-sanity had a Noval mention. 

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 01:32:18 PM »
I've been on these boards several times (albeit under a previous login name - not Chicos though) saying that DJO didn't have the size to play in the NBA.  But the more I watch him this year I can really see him finding a spot in the league.  Very solid outside shot and a good finisher.  He has been consistent in bringing a solid effort just about every night.  Honestly it wouldn't shock me either way.  His workouts will be crucial.

There aren't many sure fire lottery picks that will come through MU, but we get guys who are able maximize the impact of the skills they have and mitigate their weaknesses by playing smart and working hard.  Remember that Novak was too slow and unathletic, Hayward was undersized, Butler lacked athleticism.  They all got into the first round.

The question on Butler was shooting range, not athleticism.  Butler was a top notch athlete.  And Novak was a 2nd rounder.  I think DJO has a chance to sneak into the first round, while Crowder will go mid-to-late second round.