Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: It's good to be the Crean-  (Read 5194 times)

TVDirector

• All American
It's good to be the Crean-
« on: May 05, 2007, 11:47:05 AM »
1.5mill+?
whoa.
that's a lot of Jez missions that ain't gonna happen.
 ::)

Crean's income at $1.5 million
By DON WALKER
dwalker@journalsentinel.com
Posted: May 4, 2007
Tom Crean, the men's basketball coach at Marquette University, made more than $1.5 million in the fiscal year ending June 30, 2006, a newly released tax filing shows.

MU Basketball

Marquette coach Tom Crean made over $1.5 million last season.

total pay was $1,547,044 for that fiscal year. In addition, Crean received a $31,528 contribution that includes an employee benefit plan and deferred compensation. Crean's pay easily places him in the top tier of men's basketball coaches across the country.

Crean is by far the highest paid employee at the private, Roman Catholic university. The next highest-paid employee is David L. Shrock, dean of the school's College of Business Administration. He was paid $232,400.

Marquette is a non-profit institution but is required to file a return with the Internal Revenue Service. The IRS requires non-profits to report the salaries of the five highest-paid employees or officers.

New to the list this time is Terri Mitchell, coach of Marquette's women's basketball team. Mitchell was the school's fifth-highest paid employee. Her salary was listed at $212,912. Mitchell has a contract with Marquette through the 2012-'13 season.

In addition, Mitchell received a $22,494 contribution that includes an employee benefit plan and deferred compensation.

Crean's salary for the 2005 fiscal year is actually lower than his pay for the previous fiscal year. For the year ending June 30, 2005, Crean was paid $1,655,819. At that time, that was a boost of nearly $525,000.

But Crean did not take a pay cut. Instead, in the year Crean was paid $1.65 million, he was reimbursed for two basketball camps he had hosted. In the most recent fiscal year, he was compensated for one camp.

Steven Cottingham, Marquette's interim athletic director, declined to comment on whether Crean was given additional pay, either through the Athletic Department's Blue and Gold Fund or from other sources. In an e-mail, Cottingham provided this statement:

"The university makes fair and competitive compensation a key priority in attracting high quality faculty and staff in all areas. Salary differentiations among employment categories are, to a large degree, a function of the marketplace."

Last fall, Crean signed a contract extension with the school through the 2016-'17 season, a deal that presumably gave him another pay boost. Cottingham declined to say whether Crean did receive additional pay.

Although Crean, who just finished his eighth season at Marquette, is one of the more highly paid coaches in the country, coaching salaries continue to rise from year to year. Rick Pitino, the basketball coach at Louisville, recently signed a three-year extension that will increase his annual salary from $1.65 million to $2.25 million.

Last month, the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents gave coach Bo Ryan a pay boost that will set his salary next season at $1.25 million. Under the terms of his contract, Ryan will make $1.42 million in 2012-'13.

🏀

• All American
Re: It's good to be the Crean-
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 12:34:11 PM »
I hear Bo Ryan made in excess of $500,000 performing the hambone.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 12:59:52 PM »
1.5mill+?
whoa.

I agree with you that the idea of a Jesuit school paying someone one and a half million dollars to coach a basketball team is a little odd, I also have no doubt that Crean has earned every penny in restoring Marquette to the national scene, raising awareness of the university, and in revenue from an increase in donations and sale of MU merchandise/tickets, etc. I don't have any problem with this at all.
We Are Marquette

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 01:15:31 PM »
Cue PRN or 4everwarriors any minute now....

mviale

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 01:26:13 PM »
Crean and the warriors do more for Marquette than the Business School.  Donations are about pride and we get this through the bball program.  I noticed that it almost costs $40k to go to MU these days and we are turning away applicants.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 01:42:50 PM »
1.5mill+?
whoa.

I agree with you that the idea of a Jesuit school paying someone one and a half million dollars to coach a basketball team is a little odd, I also have no doubt that Crean has earned every penny in restoring Marquette to the national scene, raising awareness of the university, and in revenue from an increase in donations and sale of MU merchandise/tickets, etc. I don't have any problem with this at all.

Why is it odd?  Did you see the cost for the corination for Father DiUlio?  Besides, Jesuits don't take a vow of poverty....smart.

And I believe there are MORE Jez Missions that can be done as a result of spending a little money for a much bigger return.  This is economics 101 and the school has played it smart.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 01:53:54 PM »
It is an investment that has provided a very nice return.   If MU paid him $2 mil, do you suppose he could land a big man. ;)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
Oz Baby!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 07:55:25 PM »
I'm actually glad we pay him 1.5. This way when he got spanked by Izzo it didn't look so bad.
So, the average MU hoops coach makes > $850,000. At least we're getting a bargain with Mitchell.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 08:27:49 PM »
Lol...let me know when the womens team produces $10.8 million in revenue...(top 20 Nationally for those playing at home) that the men's team does....

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 10:28:57 PM »

Why is it odd?  Did you see the cost for the corination for Father DiUlio?  Besides, Jesuits don't take a vow of poverty....smart.

huh, according to this, they do take a vow of poverty...
whattya know about that?

Missouri Province Vocation Office

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Commonly Asked Questions

Q: How long does it take to become a Jesuit?

A: Once a man finishes the two-year Novitiate, he takes vows of poverty, chastity and obedience either as a Jesuit brother or as a scholastic who will prepare for priestly ordination. At this time a man is considered a Jesuit. On the average it takes about nine more years of study and work before scholastics are ordained priests and brothers complete their formation.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 11:55:48 PM »
TV Director...you are correct, I am wrong.  I had thought they did not take that particular vow, but they do.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 08:41:09 AM »
The key with the Jesuits and other religious orders is that the individual priests take the vow of poverty, but the organization ----S.J.,  has no such vow.  Thus, their Buicks and Caddys parked in the Jes. lot outside Schroeder, aren't "theirs", they are owned by the Society of Jesus.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 10:24:45 AM »
I saw father Wild just the other day driving one of these Buicks...nice new Lesabre I believe. He had a huge smile on his face...might have been because that couple just dropped 51 mil in donations to the new law school. under 30 million to go before they've got all they were looking for.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 10:33:25 AM »
Or maybe it was because he was driving over to Straz, so he could raise the American flag ontop, shotgun a Milwaukee's Best, and handglide down to the ground.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 10:35:43 AM »
He does do that quite often but he was driving toward O'hara, his office. I believe the flag was already up which means he could have been driving from the flag raising :-) noone can here a shotgun go off around there anyway w/ the pile driving for the interchange so we may never now  ;)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 11:47:18 AM »
If that is poverty, give me chastity.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.