[Today at 01:41:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: majerus wastes no time...  (Read 7142 times)

Harrison

• Team Captain
Re: majerus wastes no time...
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2007, 01:27:24 PM »
How was I back tracking because I was wrong?!  As others have stated "Honorable mention all-american" is similar to bein on the "who's who list".  there are so many different divisions of JUCO that simply defending Creans recruits by saying they were All-american of some order is ludicrous.  They were primarily recruited by non D1 schools yet Mu steps in and swipes them up to fill major needs.  My point then and now is they are not capable of filling anything but the 12th man role, unfortunately we had 3 of them.  Mjax was highly recruited and an Al-american at the highest JUCO level his play reflected that ....Lott, Kinsella, and  Blackledge were no where near that level and their play reflected it as well.  Avenues...you are dead on i love it when i see a player was a HS all-american honorable mention...in other words someone chose to nominate that person along with 15,000 other nominees.  Fill out the form and you are all-american (nominee..shhhh). 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: majerus wastes no time...
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2007, 02:15:20 PM »
Chicos -- take a look at the banner in the Al McGuire Center that lists Marquette's "All Americans." I'd say MU is not exactly being truthful about who is an "All American." For example, Dwyane Wade WAS an all-american. Travis Diener was not. Roney Eford was not. Matter of fact, I think they've got McIlvaine listed as a former All American, which he wasn't.

Oh Good Christ...now it's a Marquette conspiracy.   NEWSFLASH, Marquette doesn't annoint these players All-Americans.  The NJCAA does along with various services (AP, UPI, Street & Smith, Sporting News, etc).  How on earth is MU "not being exactly truthful".  You either ARE an All-American or you are NOT by earning such a distinction.  These guys aren't All-Americans because MU says they are, it means they EARNED the designation.

::)

And you are 100% INCORRECT on your assertion of other players.  If you make an All-American list you are an All-American and it is resported that way by EVERY SCHOOL IN AMERICA.  So in the 1970's if you made the Playboy All-American designee, then a school would list you as an All-American. 

As an example, for NCAA football the following All-American lists are "recognized" by the NCAA.

Associated Press, American Football Coaches Association, Football Writers Association of America, The Sporting News, and the Walter Camp Football Foundation (WCFF) to determine consensus All-Americans.

Yet it's possible to be on the Sporting News list and not the AP list....doesn't matter, you're deemed an All-American if you make EITHER list.

No different in basketball.  So this stuff about MU not being honest about it....good Lord.  I think you're arguing whether they are FIRST TEAM ALL-Americans which, of course, none of these JUCOs were.  Nor was Travis Diener or Jim MacIlvaine "FIRST TEAM ALL-AMERICANS" or "Consensus All-Americans'....but MU isn't claiming that either.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 02:25:31 PM by ChicosBailBonds »