[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: No Davante for Cincinnati  (Read 6008 times)

Shanunu

• Starter
No Davante for Cincinnati
« on: February 09, 2012, 01:58:45 PM »
Buzz spoke at the Blue & Gold luncheon today, and said that Davante will definitely not be back for the game on Saturday. Damn.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
Re: No Davante for Cincinnati
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 02:00:40 PM »
No worries.  They got this...

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 02:23:05 PM »
Gotta think if they are saying 2 days in advance that he is "definitely" out that he is not close to coming back.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 02:26:03 PM »
Gotta think if they are saying 2 days in advance that he is "definitely" out that he is not close to coming back.

I'm hoping it merely means they want to be cautious and take the extra week for UConn.

But I fear F.P. might be right.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 02:26:46 PM »
I smell a surgery announcement going soon.  It's almost a month since the injury, right?
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
I smell a surgery announcement going soon.  It's almost a month since the injury, right?

It's been a week and a half.

And he wasn't "definitely ruled out...", at least according to others who saw Buzz at the luncheon today.

Paint Touches  @PaintTouches

Per Buzz Williams, there is a "slim chance" Davante Gardner plays Saturday vs.
Cincinnati. #mubb

Jim Ganzer  @theIWB

Davante Gardner not likely to play vs Cincy, Buzz Williams says not impossible,
but not likely #mubb

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 02:43:10 PM »
Lot of bummer bobs and negative nancys on this board...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 02:44:08 PM »

Heh...this made me laugh.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 02:45:53 PM »

hard not to assume the worst with a 280+ lb player on a bad knee and a very uncertain timeframe.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 02:59:08 PM »

In case you are counting me in that group, I will reiterate what I said when this injury was first announced.  Best case scenario is that we don't lose any games we would be expected to win with him, that he is back in time for the BE tournament, and that while he is out, others like Vander, JJones and J. Wilson step up their game and increase their confidence so that they are better contributors in the postseason.  Injuries can be a blessing in disguise for the long haul and I hope that's the case here.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 03:06:32 PM »
Maybe it is the booze talking whilst I sit at the Maple Leaf Lounge in Toronto but this just sucks.

We have no big guys coming off the bench.  This is 2009-10 all over again.  Absolutely no margin for error and if Crowder or Wilson get in foul trouble we're screwed.

It is like our big men are cursed.   God help Durley he probably will be injured before he even comes to campus.

Okay, negativity rant off.  Feel better now.   :-\
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:15:04 PM by MarquetteDano »

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 03:16:33 PM »

And he wasn't "definitely ruled out...", at least according to others who saw Buzz at the luncheon today.

Paint Touches  @PaintTouches

Per Buzz Williams, there is a "slim chance" Davante Gardner plays Saturday vs.
Cincinnati. #mubb

Jim Ganzer  @theIWB

Davante Gardner not likely to play vs Cincy, Buzz Williams says not impossible,
but not likely #mubb

FWIW, Buzz said on his show that it will be a game time decision as to whether or not he will play.  He said that he has flexion in his knee now and it will be close. 

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 03:19:45 PM »
Buzz had not recruited a "full deck" since he's been here.  The teams are short in stature and number.  In contrast when we sat watching the Badgers come out at the beginning of the Marquette game, there were 18 players running out of the locker room.  They looked like the foot ball team.  They outnumbered us and were taller.  Buzz seems most comfortable recruiting shorter players and having fewer players on the bench.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 03:20:11 PM »
Hopefully, 4 days of uninterruped practice for Juan and JJones gets them closer to being able to give a few quality minutes.  

Buzz wants 3 bigs, 3 PGs, and 7 switchables.   Next year could be the first time he has gotten there. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:21:58 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 03:20:56 PM »
booze talking whilst I sit at the Maple Leaf Lounge in Toronto

This is the only part of this thread that made me smile.

LON

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 03:21:56 PM »
Buzz had not recruited a "full deck" since he's been here.  The teams are short in stature and number.  In contrast when we sat watching the Badgers come out at the beginning of the Marquette game, there were 18 players running out of the locker room.  They looked like the foot ball team.  They outnumbered us and were taller.  Buzz seems most comfortable recruiting shorter players and having fewer players on the bench.

Aren't 5 of those guys walk-ons?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 03:23:21 PM »
Maybe it is the booze talking whilst I sit at the Maple Leaf Lounge in Toronto but this just sucks.

We have no big guys coming off the bench.  This is 2009-10 all over again.  Absolutely no margin for error and if Crowder or Wilson get in foul trouble we're screwed.

It is like our big men are cursed.   God help Durley he probably will be injured before he even comes to campus.

Okay, negativity rant off.  Feel better now.   :-\

It's 3 in the afternoon and you're pounding 'em in the Maple Leaf Lounge. Life is good, don't sweat the small stuff.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 03:24:23 PM »

There are only 13 scholarships available.  Have 12 on scholarship now (including Thomas as a preferred walk on).  Would've had 13 if E Williams hadn't transferred.  Now we're down 2 players to injury.  Not sure what else could've been done outside of taking some crappy player to waste a scholarship for 4 years.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 03:24:37 PM »
It's 3 in the afternoon and you're pounding 'em in the Maple Leaf Lounge. Life is good, don't sweat the small stuff.

LOL... well 4 Eastern but I get your jist!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 03:29:58 PM »
There are only 13 scholarships available.  Have 12 on scholarship now (including Thomas as a preferred walk on).  Would've had 13 if E Williams hadn't transferred.  Now we're down 2 players to injury.  Not sure what else could've been done outside of taking some crappy player to waste a scholarship for 4 years.

Remarkably insightful for your second post.   Well done.   Now cut it out.   Logic is not always welcome here. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:32:36 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 03:30:59 PM »
I was at that inaugural club football game at Marquette Stadium too, Lenny. We sucked major ass, certainly kicked Detroit in hoops, though. BTW, its after 4pm in Toronto.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 03:31:55 PM »
I was also at the luncheon.  I'd bet 10 Bradley Center priced beers that DG plays against UConn. Something in Buzz's tone made me feel like a return is near.  
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »

Or people who are realistic about knee injuries.  He'll be back WHEN he's back, IF he can come back.  Hopefully sooner rather than later.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 03:46:45 PM »
No worries.  They got this...

It lowers our chances of winning this game, but I agree we still should win this one more often than not.  Not a gimme, though.  Maybe this is a matchup we win in Milwaukee 2 out of 3 or something like that.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 03:54:56 PM »
It lowers our chances of winning this game, but I agree we still should win this one more often than not.  Not a gimme, though.  Maybe this is a matchup we win in Milwaukee 2 out of 3 or something like that.

With last year's home loss to them being the 1 out of 3.

feedback