Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gardner out with knee sprain  (Read 14568 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Gardner out with knee sprain
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2012, 12:42:56 PM »
To answer your question based on what Buzz said publicly.  NO.  Buzz immediately expressed deep concern about Chris's condition.
Buzz then said that it was hard to determine the extent of the damage due to the large amount of swelling.  Conversely in this case Buzz has said that the MRI was complete, that there was no damage and that the swelling had gone down significantly.  The public statements made by the coach were completely different in the 2 cases.
Now what you may be refering to is a picture that appeared on this board that appeared to show Chris on the court in warm-ups at the LSU game which lead many here to beleive that he might return any day.
Its possible that Buzz could be down playing this to throw everybody off But based on what has come out of his mouth He beleives the DG injury is much less serious than he ever felt Chris's was. 

Thanks .. this was very helpful

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2012, 12:46:13 PM »
Watching how he sat tonight i thought the swelling has gone down about 50%

Really? You're good. I didn't see a whole lotta flexion in that sucker. Actually thought Otule motored better than DG.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:48:05 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2012, 01:04:17 PM »
I believe it was ten minutes left, but I understand your point.  Why would we not try and do the same against Cooley and Gates?  And I would argue that neither is as skilled offensively as Pope, regardless.

Yep. 10:27 mark.  Agree that Pope is superior to Cooley for sure.  But I do think Pope is prone to 'stupid' fouls.  The key to last night I thought was getting him off his game via fouls.  When that finally happened, he lost his spark offensively and couldn't patrol the paint defensively. 

ND is simply a better team with way more scoring options where Cooley mostly cleans up the garbage (pretty effectively, at that).  Tough mission ahead.

Get healthy DG.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2012, 01:16:03 PM »
Yep. 10:27 mark.  Agree that Pope is superior to Cooley for sure.  But I do think Pope is prone to 'stupid' fouls.  The key to last night I thought was getting him off his game via fouls.  When that finally happened, he lost his spark offensively and couldn't patrol the paint defensively. 

ND is simply a better team with way more scoring options where Cooley mostly cleans up the garbage (pretty effectively, at that).  Tough mission ahead.

Get healthy DG.

Right, and I definitely wouldn't say we handled Pope just fine.  He did have 16 points, which is his high in Big East play this season, on 57% shooting despite only playing 28 minutes.  We were fortunate to get him into foul trouble and we took over after he picked up his 4th.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2012, 01:31:01 PM »
Its possible that Buzz could be down playing this to throw everybody off But based on what has come out of his mouth He beleives the DG injury is much less serious than he ever felt Chris's was. 

The bolded part is more like it. It seems Buzz is incapable of BS, he says it how it is.

timinatorx3

• Starter
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2012, 07:10:54 PM »
Thanks for the update MUDPT.

I'm having flashbacks to the Dominic James injury.

I still lose sleep at night wondering how far the 08-09 team would have gone if not for that fateful stress fracture.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2012, 07:29:29 PM »
I still lose sleep at night wondering how far the 08-09 team would have gone if not for that fateful stress fracture.

I still lose sleep at night wondering how far MU would have gone if Chones, McNeil and Lucas did not leave early for the pro's.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2012, 07:42:11 PM »
I still lose sleep at night wondering how far MU would have gone if Chones, McNeil and Lucas did not leave early for the pro's.

Would have been the best Marquette has ever seen!

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2012, 07:59:32 PM »
that was my point.  every injury is different.  ezeli missed 10 games.  buzz says day to day.  a source says 3-4 weeks.  any could be possible...

Yep. Anyone expecting an exact time frame is sadly mistaken. Day to day means every team we play has to think its possible Devante plays. Buzz is a poker player and he will not show his hand, nor should he.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2012, 04:26:48 PM »
Fingers are crossed.  DG is a difference maker!

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2012, 05:16:28 PM »
Any word on Otule and his surgery?  In fact I haven't heard if he's even had surgery.  If not, could MU see Otule dressing late in the season as Junior did his Freshman year... doubt it but I'll remain optimistic until I hear otherwise...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2012, 05:19:55 PM »
Any word on Otule and his surgery?  In fact I haven't heard if he's even had surgery.  If not, could MU see Otule dressing late in the season as Junior did his Freshman year... doubt it but I'll remain optimistic until I hear otherwise...

He had surgery around the St. John's game?  Or the home game against Villinova?  In Buzz's post-game interview with Homer he kept talking about having gone to see Chris and how "drunk" Chris was (rather than "drugged up"), how he was saying goofy things.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2012, 05:21:50 PM »
He had surgery around the St. John's game?  Or the home game against Villinova?  In Buzz's post-game interview with Homer he kept talking about having gone to see Chris and how "drunk" Chris was (rather than "drugged up"), how he was saying goofy things.

Good to hear he's getting it taken care of ... Thanks

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2012, 05:29:07 PM »

http://painttouches.com/2012/01/31/otule-rises-above-knee-injury/

[/shameless plug]

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2012, 05:32:13 PM »
http://painttouches.com/2012/01/31/otule-rises-above-knee-injury/

[/shameless plug]

Ha! Was just about to post it as a response too - that was a really good article

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2012, 09:22:44 AM »
Not that it's really any news but:

Seth Davis @ SethDavisHoops
I'm told that Marquette F Davante Gardner is unlikely to play Saturday at Notre Dame. He's still walking around on crutches

chapman

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2012, 09:37:47 AM »
Not too shocking...no need to put 290 pounds of weight on that knee if you don't have to.  Hopefully they have him on a tight diet; not being able to run around for someone like Devante could cause weight issues if not careful.  I think he's back for Cincy. 

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2012, 12:07:52 PM »
Andy Katz also posted that he's expected to be out for Saturday.