[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Trick or Treat times?  (Read 9539 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Trick or Treat times?
« on: October 27, 2006, 08:55:56 AM »
MUScoop has folks from all around the country, so I'm curious.

When I was growing up in MN, trick or treat was on October 31 and began when it got dark.  Dusk.

In Milwaukee, year after year, it pains me that ToT is on the Sunday before Halloween, sometime in the afternoon.  Totally bogus.  My community has it this Sunday from 4-6pm, when it's hardly dark out.  IIRC, this Sunday crap began about 25 years ago, with some bad dude doing bad things that freaked all the wussie parents into thinking no child should, you know, have an authentic Halloween ever again.

Has this brand of stupidity spread to other parts of the country?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Trick or Treat times?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 09:11:41 AM »
My hometown (in Ohio) has gotten that way.  Its always on a weekend, and probably around 2pm in the afternoon these day  ???

However, I'm proud to report the west is still wild - well the Colorado frontrange at least.  Here they do it on halloween, and it's pretty much open game from dusk until 10pm.  The way it's supposed to be :)

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 11:12:39 AM »
Out here, California kids are still free to participate ToT on halloween.  I thought it was like that everywhere until I recently read that it is banned all together in Evanston, Ill.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 03:41:30 PM »
Here in Dallas it seems to be a very scientific thing for kids.. talk about encouraging such capitalistic thinking early!  They figured out that many communities do it on different days and different times so some kids actually map it out and hit different places over the course of the 3-4 days leading up to halloween.
We didn't get many kids ringing our doorbell last year so I asked a neighbor with kids about it once.. he said the kids think our neighboor is too spread out (we live on 1-2 acre lots) and they don't get enough return on their walking investment.. in other neighborhoods they could hit 3-4 houses in the time it takes to walk from one house to the next in ours.
My question is whatever happened to hitting the same house 3 times in a row with three different masks on like I used to do back in the day???  ;D
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 01:01:08 PM »
3 to 6 on Sunday.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 07:54:46 AM »
Our ToT was yesterday .. I make a big deal of it, by blaring spooky sounds/music from my house .. couple fog machines, the works.  It's a real crowd pleaser, and there's a definate amount of kids who are scared to come up to my house.  We go through about 10 mega bags of candy.

I had one kid yesterday who was about 5 feet from our front steps and the speakers let out a huge scream .. she not only took off running the other direction, but also dropped her bag on the spot.

In the business, that's what we call a "home run!"   ;D

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 01:34:25 PM »
Last night - after dark