[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Providence game thread  (Read 17368 times)

MUMac

• All American
Re: Providence game thread
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2012, 11:11:34 AM »
Maybe its just me, but I think Jones has been ok on the defensive side this season when he does get some playing time. He's stepped up his rebounding and has had some nice assists too. He's just lost touch on his shot, and its probably all mental. I'd also buy the argument about defense earning you playing time if it wasn't for the fact that a lot of the guys who play a ton make numerous mistakes on D and still continue to play.

I think it may be just you.  I have watched Mellow when he is on the court.  I like Mellow and hope he improves and contributes down the road, but, right now he is a HUGE liability on D.  Can't stay with his man, which has caused big time breakdowns when he is in there.  He just does not have the defensive feel or skill set right now.  In addition, he is not hitting his shot - not even close.  Hard to see where he would get playing time right now.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2012, 11:12:28 AM »
Maybe its just me, but I think Jones has been ok on the defensive side this season when he does get some playing time. He's stepped up his rebounding and has had some nice assists too. He's just lost touch on his shot, and its probably all mental. I'd also buy the argument about defense earning you playing time if it wasn't for the fact that a lot of the guys who play a ton make numerous mistakes on D and still continue to play.
I would agree that Jones has been much improved on defense when he makes it onto the court.  He had a couple of games earlier this year when I thought maybe he had turned a corner and was heading towards being a productive player for us.  I still hold out hope that he can get it together whether it be this year or further down the road.  I am not part of the "Grass is always greener" crowd that seems eager to jettison him in favor of some completely unproven freshman.  

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2012, 11:17:25 AM »
That said, Juan Anderson last night looked really good on both offense and defense. However I was really impressed with his rebounding skills. Every time a shot went up he got position on his guy, boxed him up, and had a legit shot for the board. While long athletic teams still worry me with this MU squad, having Anderson continue to develop and build confidence will be critical to beating those kinds of teams.

I agree rebounding has been our achilles heel. I remember Al had some undersized teams in the late sixties when I attended MU; but they could jump and out rebound much taller/bigger teams. Can you teach rebounding?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2012, 11:23:56 AM »
I think it may be just you.  I have watched Mellow when he is on the court.  I like Mellow and hope he improves and contributes down the road, but, right now he is a HUGE liability on D.  Can't stay with his man, which has caused big time breakdowns when he is in there.  He just does not have the defensive feel or skill set right now.  In addition, he is not hitting his shot - not even close.  Hard to see where he would get playing time right now.
We must we watching different things because his defense is much better than it used to be.  In the last few games in which he played, I don't remember a single defensive breakdown involving JJ.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2012, 11:41:13 AM »
We must we watching different things because his defense is much better than it used to be.  In the last few games in which he played, I don't remember a single defensive breakdown involving JJ.

I guess I don't see what you do.  I am not watching on TV, that may be the difference.  As I stated, when he gets in, I have focused on him.  He uses his hands, not his feet - picked up some cheap fouls that way.  When his man does not have the ball and is on the move, he get's lost.  Players blow by him far too easily with the ball.

You are correct, there wasn't a single breakdown involving JJ, more like multiple.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2012, 11:47:32 AM »
He may work hard.  He may have a great attitude.  He just may not be able to play basketball at this level.

My point exactly.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2012, 12:08:24 PM »
I would agree that Jones has been much improved on defense when he makes it onto the court.  He had a couple of games earlier this year when I thought maybe he had turned a corner and was heading towards being a productive player for us.  I still hold out hope that he can get it together whether it be this year or further down the road.  I am not part of the "Grass is always greener" crowd that seems eager to jettison him in favor of some completely unproven freshman. 

I don't think people are are advocating for a transfer - just wouldn't be surprised if he does. 

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »

I don't think people are are advocating for a transfer - just wouldn't be surprised if he does. 
Exactly. And Buzz's rotation makes me wonder if he's thinking the same thing.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2012, 12:48:32 PM »
When Juan fills out, watch out league! Kid was active on the glass and in the stat categories!

The real deal ( sorry, Todd, lol)
SS Marquette

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2012, 03:47:24 PM »
Is it the poor SNY picture or has The Friars coach been drinking reactor water?  Looks like half his hair has fallen out in patches.

Was at the game and it was Ed Cooley bobble head doll night.  The bobble head has the bare patches on his head, too.  Good coach.  The past few times I was there the fans were really unhappy with the team.  This time around you get the feeling they know better times are coming and Cooley is building something.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2012, 08:43:48 PM »
Was at the game and it was Ed Cooley bobble head doll night.  The bobble head has the bare patches on his head, too.  Good coach.  The past few times I was there the fans were really unhappy with the team.  This time around you get the feeling they know better times are coming and Cooley is building something.

You're kidding, right?
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #136 on: January 22, 2012, 08:48:08 PM »
You're kidding, right?

Why wouldn't it?  It's supposed to be representative of him, is it not?  Would you give the Jim Abbott bobble head two hands?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #137 on: January 22, 2012, 09:52:01 PM »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2012, 10:19:27 PM »

Keno Davis was a bullet that we fortunately dodged when TC skedaddled. Cooley is a definite upgrade.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2012, 11:20:07 AM »
I guess I don't see what you do.  I am not watching on TV, that may be the difference.  As I stated, when he gets in, I have focused on him.  He uses his hands, not his feet - picked up some cheap fouls that way.  When his man does not have the ball and is on the move, he get's lost.  Players blow by him far too easily with the ball.

You are correct, there wasn't a single breakdown involving JJ, more like multiple.

You attend every single MU game in person?

That's pretty impressive.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2012, 02:48:22 PM »
Keno Davis was a bullet that we fortunately dodged when TC skedaddled. Cooley is a definite upgrade.

+1
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

feedback