'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 3/11/2024?  (Read 1007937 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 2/10/2020
« Reply #2900 on: February 11, 2020, 09:43:21 AM »
So let me get this straight.

All American player being injured is an excuse.

Playing on the road is an excuse.

The opposing team being on a three game losing streak is not an excuse it just makes  the game tougher.

Seems to me like all three things make the game tougher... or in your words are excuses

I think it comes down to which team wants it more. We won 3 and Butler lost 3 and they beat us on their home court. Now were faced with the exact same situation. I think we match up better with Nova than Butler. So I am cautiously optimistic, but road wins are really tough.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 09:51:07 AM by muwarrior69 »

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #2901 on: February 11, 2020, 11:10:32 AM »
I think it comes down to which team wants it more. We won 3 and Butler lost 3 and they beat us on their home court. Now were faced with the exact same situation. I think we match up better with Nova than Butler. So I am cautiously optimistic, but road wins are really tough.
As a fan, the refs worry me in this one as well.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2902 on: February 11, 2020, 11:24:19 AM »
I hope it's not different than the 20 huge opportunities Wojo's Warriors capitalized on in going 20-2 over 3 months last season. I also hope it's not different than the 7 huge opportunities Wojo's Warriors have capitalized on so far this BEast season.

Every game, especially every conference game, is a huge opportunity. Since the start of last season, Wojo's team has capitalized more often than not.

Not more badly than Wojo and his players do.

So do I, and already have said many times that they will win.

I honestly expect our Warriors to win every game ... while being realistic enough to accept that the other team's coach also gets paid, and the other team's players also are talented and highly motivated.

Mike, give it up...please. I know being a journalist you have to believe everything you write, I get that, but you go way over board with it, to TRY to make a point. I'm not talking individual games..I'm talking TRUE moments where they have a chance to do something special...you know like last year down the stretch needing to win 1...just one of the last 4 to be BE champs.., or prior to the Butler game, being on the cusp of being ranked a few times this year, only to lose the next game.

In this particular instance, it's a chance to move into 2nd all by themselves, and truly get people talking about them. It certainly could also impact their seeding come NCAA tourney time. Obviously a lot of ball left to play, but what if in the eyes of the committee if they win this game, they would be a protected seed(4), until they prove they aren't??

I just really feel like capitalizing on a moment like this(and if you want to get more specific) this game as well as also beating Creighton next week, could REALLY be a HUGE moment for the program, not only now, but next year and future years. I want to see what their ceiling is...this is their chance to show it, will they get it done??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2903 on: February 11, 2020, 11:27:27 AM »

The opposing team being on a three game losing streak is not an excuse it just makes  the game tougher.

Seems to me like all three things make the game tougher... or in your words are excuses

Here's the problem with most here after a loss...they offer up excuses as to why MU lost. If you give me reasons why they lost...that's a different story. But it seems so many don't know the difference between an excuse or a reason. BIG difference.

For the record, how many times in your sports following lifetime have you heard a Coach say "an injury is not an excuse, other guys just need to step up". That pretty much says it all, right?? Injuries are NOT an excuse. They MIGHT be a reason, but not an excuse.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #2904 on: February 11, 2020, 11:51:49 AM »

Couple of additional pieces of information.  Butler started the season 15-1.  Their one loss was against #1 Baylor.  Won three Big East games and then lost three in a row leading up to Butler @ Home against.  This is the exact situation for Nova.  Top of the Big East team coming off three game losing stretch and landing into an almost must win situation.  MU lost to Butler was unacceptable. 

Xavier started the season ranked as seen as a good team. Leading up the home game against MU they lost 2.  MU being their third consecutive loss and at Xavier.  Xavier played us tough before going on the road to beat Nova.  The same Nova team currently in a three game losing stretch playing a tough MU team at home.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2905 on: February 11, 2020, 12:09:56 PM »
Here's the problem with most here after a loss...they offer up excuses as to why MU lost. If you give me reasons why they lost...that's a different story. But it seems so many don't know the difference between an excuse or a reason. BIG difference.

So star player being injured is an excuse for a loss. But "the other team was on a three game losing streak" is a reason for a loss?

For the record, how many times in your sports following lifetime have you heard a Coach say "an injury is not an excuse, other guys just need to step up". That pretty much says it all, right?? Injuries are NOT an excuse. They MIGHT be a reason, but not an excuse.

I'm not sure I've ever heard a coach say that sincerely. I can think of plenty of times where I've heard coaches mention that they really missed an injured player or opposing coaches mention that they were very fortunate that they didn't have to face an injured player.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2906 on: February 11, 2020, 12:29:25 PM »
I think it comes down to which team wants it more.

Not to pick on you too much... But get the word to wojo! Forget practice, just "want" to win more  8-)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #2907 on: February 11, 2020, 12:49:56 PM »
Not to pick on you too much... But get the word to wojo! Forget practice, just "want" to win more  8-)

Yeah, I always thought this was one of the most ignorant of sports lines.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #2908 on: February 11, 2020, 01:03:27 PM »

By definition an excuse is a reason:
excuse
noun
/ikˈskyo͞os/
a reason or explanation put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2909 on: February 11, 2020, 01:38:14 PM »

Totally. If they let Nova undercut a driving Markus again... there will be hell to pay! For starters, I'll be freaking pissed!

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #2910 on: February 11, 2020, 01:48:49 PM »

When we played Nova at home we went 26-30 from the line. Nova 3 of 5.

Usually home teams get a slight break on calls, but there is no agenda to screw a team.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2911 on: February 11, 2020, 02:26:05 PM »

Usually home teams get a slight break on calls, but there is no agenda to screw a team.

Nova does not get to the line much but they don't foul a ton either. I'd be shocked if we got to the line anywhere near that much. We'll need to shoot much better.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #2912 on: February 11, 2020, 02:29:07 PM »

I'm certainly not claiming it's a conscious effort.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #2913 on: February 11, 2020, 02:29:19 PM »
Nm.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2914 on: February 11, 2020, 02:30:57 PM »

Meet James Breeding.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #2915 on: February 12, 2020, 10:05:45 PM »
20-22 range

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #2916 on: February 12, 2020, 10:56:45 PM »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2917 on: February 12, 2020, 11:38:21 PM »
18, because the thread is currently for 2/10 and I already saw the results.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2918 on: February 13, 2020, 01:37:18 AM »
Depends on what those around us do. If Butler and Houston win on Saturday they will leap us. Iowa has two tough road games, I imagine they drop at least one but if they don't they will pass us. Illinois lost at home to Michigan State already and I don't think a win at Rutgers makes up for it. Creighton had a huge win tonight, assuming the beat Depaul at home they will pass us. Texas Tech and LSU don't have enough meat on their schedules to pass us this week so I think the max we drop is to 22. Plus, the teams right above us, Oregon and Colorado, play each other this week. If the game is one sided, the loser likely drops below us. Nova would also drop below us if they somehow tripped up at Temple. West Virginia has already lost once this week and is heading for another likely loss at Baylor. Two losses, even to top 5 teams, is likely enough to drop them below us.

TLDR: At this point, I predict 19 (Butler/Creighton/Houston pass us, Colorado/West Virginia drop below us)
TAMU

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #2919 on: February 13, 2020, 09:01:44 AM »
Depends on what those around us do. If Butler and Houston win on Saturday they will leap us. Iowa has two tough road games, I imagine they drop at least one but if they don't they will pass us. Illinois lost at home to Michigan State already and I don't think a win at Rutgers makes up for it. Creighton had a huge win tonight, assuming the beat Depaul at home they will pass us. Texas Tech and LSU don't have enough meat on their schedules to pass us this week so I think the max we drop is to 22. Plus, the teams right above us, Oregon and Colorado, play each other this week. If the game is one sided, the loser likely drops below us. Nova would also drop below us if they somehow tripped up at Temple. West Virginia has already lost once this week and is heading for another likely loss at Baylor. Two losses, even to top 5 teams, is likely enough to drop them below us.

TLDR: At this point, I predict 19 (Butler/Creighton/Houston pass us, Colorado/West Virginia drop below us)

This weekend would be a great time for one of those middle-of-conference-season non-con games that Nova seems to schedule every year.  I hate these long layoffs (8 days between DePaul and Butler, 6 between Nova and Creighton)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2920 on: February 13, 2020, 09:09:25 AM »
This weekend would be a great time for one of those middle-of-conference-season non-con games that Nova seems to schedule every year.  I hate these long layoffs (8 days between DePaul and Butler, 6 between Nova and Creighton)

Maybe that's when we should play ND, if they have a similar donut hole in their schedule.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2921 on: February 16, 2020, 03:37:38 AM »

Butler and Houston ended up losing to much worse teams than @Nova by 1 so they will stay behind us. Iowa got blown out at Indiana, maybe if they blow out Minnesota on the road they can recover but I think they stay behind us. Illinois lost at Michigan State and at Rutgers to they fall too. Creighton had a big week and will soar past us for sure. I didn't think Tech or LSU could pass us anyway, but they both lost for good measure. Michigan State was the top team in others recieving votes and they lost at home to Maryland (but won at Illinois). They may sneak into the top 25 but not to our level.

On the flip side, West Virginia lost twice as expected and I think that's enough to make them fall past us. Colorado lost at Oregon but then crushed Oregon State on the road, I think that means they stay ahead of us. Oregon's win over over Colorado likely keeps them ahead of us unless they get blown out by Utah at home tomorrow. Nova just has to not slip up at Temple on Sunday to make sure they don't fall in the rankings. Penn State and Kentucky both took care of business though Kentucky nearly tripped over Ole Miss at home.

The interesting ones will be Seton Hall and Auburn. Seton Hall lost twice, once at home to a good team and once on the road to a not as good team. Auburn needed OT to beat bubbly Bama at home and then lost to Mizzou (who is ranked outside the top 100) on the road. Both had nearly 600 vote leads on MU so I don't think they will far enough for MU to pass them, but I expect that gap to shrink significantly. If we did pass one, I think it would be Auburn. Their computer numbers are terrible and I think some votes will be looking for an excuse to drop them lower.

TLDR: I think 18 (Pass West Virginia, leapfrogged by Creighton) with an increase in votes
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 03:39:10 AM by TAMU Garcia »
TAMU

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 2/17/2020
« Reply #2922 on: February 16, 2020, 12:56:06 PM »
We definitely are not falling out of the rankings. That much I know.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #2923 on: February 16, 2020, 02:59:16 PM »
Believe it or not there is a possibility that we stay at 18 or even move up.

The only team behind us that should pass us is Creighton.

#19 Butler lost vs Georgetown (we will stay ahead of them)
#20 Houston lost at SMU (we will stay ahead of them)
#21 Iowa lost at Indiana (we will stay ahead of them)
#22 Illinois lost vs MSU and at Rutgers (we will stay ahead of them)
#23 Creighton won at #10 Seton Hall and vs DePaul (they will pass us)
#24 Texas Tech lost at Oklahoma St (we will stay ahead of them)
#25 LSU lost at Alabama (we will stay ahead of them)
#26* MSU won at #22 Illinois but lost vs #9 Maryland (we should stay ahead of them)
#27* Rhode Island lost at #6 Dayton (we will stay ahead of them)
#28* Northern Iowa lost at Loyola Chicago (we will stay ahead of them)

The teams ahead of us that we have a chance of passing:

#16 Colorado lost at #17 Oregon (slim chance we pass them but possible)
#14 West Virginia lost vs #3 Kansas and at #1 Baylor (decent chance we pass them)
#11 Auburn lost at Missouri (slim chance we pass them)
#10 Seton Hall lost vs #23 Creighton and at Providence (decent chance we pass them)

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #2924 on: February 16, 2020, 06:02:20 PM »
Believe it or not there is a possibility that we stay at 18 or even move up.

The only team behind us that should pass us is Creighton.

#19 Butler lost vs Georgetown (we will stay ahead of them)
#20 Houston lost at SMU (we will stay ahead of them)
#21 Iowa lost at Indiana (we will stay ahead of them)
#22 Illinois lost vs MSU and at Rutgers (we will stay ahead of them)
#23 Creighton won at #10 Seton Hall and vs DePaul (they will pass us)
#24 Texas Tech lost at Oklahoma St (we will stay ahead of them)
#25 LSU lost at Alabama (we will stay ahead of them)
#26* MSU won at #22 Illinois but lost vs #9 Maryland (we should stay ahead of them)
#27* Rhode Island lost at #6 Dayton (we will stay ahead of them)
#28* Northern Iowa lost at Loyola Chicago (we will stay ahead of them)

The teams ahead of us that we have a chance of passing:

#16 Colorado lost at #17 Oregon (slim chance we pass them but possible)
#14 West Virginia lost vs #3 Kansas and at #1 Baylor (decent chance we pass them)
#11 Auburn lost at Missouri (slim chance we pass them)
#10 Seton Hall lost vs #23 Creighton and at Providence (decent chance we pass them)
d

Great summary - thanks