'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Harrison is a PUNK!!  (Read 5561 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Harrison is a PUNK!!
« on: January 11, 2012, 08:55:40 PM »
I was sitting behind STJ bench (Keady's comeover is just getting better with age) when Harrsion fouled out, JC goes to shake his hand and Harrsion is appauled that JC would do that.  The bigger of the two black asst coaches takes two steps towards JC, yelling at him.  JC is like wtf?  DJO tells the coach to relax he was just attempting to shake his hand, and the coach goes off on DJO.  Then Buzz calls a TO--I think he saw what was happening.  Then that same coach pats Harrsion on the back several times while he pouted on the bench.  Really weird.

That stunt, and the antics after the three he hit in the first half to give them a 6 point lead, that kid is a punk.

Gene Keady is not a punk.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Harrison is a PUNK!!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 08:59:36 PM »
Um...Junior was yapping at him earlier in the half.  He was yapping when he picked up the charge.  (And good for Junior cause I think he got under Harrison's skin a little.)  *If* Junior was going up to him to shake his hand, it most assuredly was snarky.

And please don't fall into the trap of calling players on other teams "punks" when we get all upset when other fan bases do that with our guys.  I'd take Harrison in a second.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 09:04:30 PM »

And please don't fall into the trap of calling players on other teams "punks" when we get all upset when other fan bases do that with our guys.  I'd take Harrison in a second.

Then he's our punk, which is different.   ;)

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 09:06:01 PM »
Harrison is a STUD...so wish we could have landed him..we were in his Final 3....guy has serious game.  Definitely plays with an edge and attitude.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:17:58 PM »
JC - Junior or Crowder?
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 09:24:30 PM »
Agree that he is a punk, so is Fab Melo.  Also agree that I would take either one of them in a second.

scowwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 09:25:36 PM »
It was Junior... he did it in jest.  I was expecting a technical or some retaliation from the SJU players afterword.  Between that move and the 3's it was nice to see Junior coming out of his shell a bit.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 09:26:28 PM »
Um...Junior was yapping at him earlier in the half.  He was yapping when he picked up the charge.  (And good for Junior cause I think he got under Harrison's skin a little.)  *If* Junior was going up to him to shake his hand, it most assuredly was snarky.

No Sultan--it was not *snarky* and there was no *IF*.  Like I said, I was sitting right5 there watching it all.  Junior was legit about shaking his hand after Harrison fouled out and Harrison tried to slap his hand away.  Great talent no doubt---also a PUNK.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 09:31:21 PM »
Trying to shake the hand of a pissed off opponent after he just fouled out early in the game is akin to trying to high five a teammate after he just missed two crucial free throws. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 09:33:47 PM »
No Sultan--it was not *snarky* and there was no *IF*.  Like I said, I was sitting right5 there watching it all.  Junior was legit about shaking his hand after Harrison fouled out and Harrison tried to slap his hand away.  Great talent no doubt---also a PUNK.

I saw it on TV, and like others have suggested, thought it was in jest.  You can disagree.

But calling him a punk based on that is classless. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 09:36:07 PM »
I was sitting behind STJ bench (Keady's comeover is just getting better with age) when Harrsion fouled out, JC goes to shake his hand and Harrsion is appauled that JC would do that.  The bigger of the two black asst coaches takes two steps towards JC, yelling at him.  JC is like wtf?  DJO tells the coach to relax he was just attempting to shake his hand, and the coach goes off on DJO.  Then Buzz calls a TO--I think he saw what was happening.  Then that same coach pats Harrsion on the back several times while he pouted on the bench.  Really weird.

That stunt, and the antics after the three he hit in the first half to give them a 6 point lead, that kid is a punk.

Gene Keady is not a punk.

Regardless of what went down there, I saw some big smiles and genuine hugs between Harrison and several MU players after the game.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 09:55:38 PM »
Trying to shake the hand of a pissed off opponent after he just fouled out early in the game is akin to trying to high five a teammate after he just missed two crucial free throws. 

beat me to it

nyg

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 09:57:37 PM »

Why in God's name would Junior go and shake an opponent's hand after he fouled out?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 10:08:35 PM »
You cats have it all wrong. Cadougan came over to mess with Harrison's do and Keady went all brylcreem over him and that's when the chicken fat hit the fan.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 10:18:25 PM »
I saw it.  I thought, hey maybe they played against each other at some point while in the greater Houston area... 
(Whether they were friendly at that point or not who knows, and really who cares - we have our guy) 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 10:23:31 PM »
Why in God's name would Junior go and shake an opponent's hand after he fouled out?

JC didn't go over and shake his hand---Junior was between Harrison and the STJ bench.  Harrrison walked past JC on his way to the bench.  Nothing more.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 10:45:58 PM »
I saw it.  I thought, hey maybe they played against each other at some point while in the greater Houston area... 
(Whether they were friendly at that point or not who knows, and really who cares - we have our guy) 

No idea, but I'm sure JC also knows Harrison from his recruitment with MU. Pretty sure he took a visit here, so they'd at least be familiar.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

RyanConroy

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 10:48:22 PM »
Great reaction in the BC when he fouled out, I was fired up about the noise level at that point.

Dave Krupinski

• Scholarship Player
    • Johnny Jungle
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 02:23:38 AM »
I have no doubt that words were being exchanged between Harrison and whoever. He's a loud mouth Texan who gets himself fired up with a some chatter. He's one of the fearless, confident, and yes cocky kids I've ever met. He's one of those guys who if he isn't on your team, you hate him. He's not a "punk" though. I wouldn't practice calling student athletes derogatory names either.

D'Angelo is a great kid as are all the guys on this St. John's team right now. He's the jokster of the team and extremely charismatic with the media at press conferences. This squad is going to be a pretty special group.

Getting back to the exchange it appeared to me that DJO was saying something to the effect of "see ya later" and it didn't appear to be as friendly as I put it. So of course the St. John's coach is going to have his player's back as would any coach of any team. Minor detail of the game. Focus should be on efforts of Gardner stepping up in a big way and DJO being the firestarter in the 2nd half.

As for Harrison I wish you would have disliked him for 40 minutes tonight not 20. See you in the Garden.
www.JohnnyJungle.com
6th Man of St. John's Basketball

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 04:32:06 AM »
FIXED

Why in God's Gift name would Junior go and shake an opponent's hand after he fouled out?

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 06:54:18 AM »
stuff happens in the heat of the moment ...similar to jae and vander not giving hi-5's...

people who have never played read too much into that.

The Mu players all know Harrison very well and as evidenced by the after game hand shakes all is forgivin after the horn. 

Bottom line ... if this is the first time Mu fans have seen Harrsion play then you only got a small taste of what he has been doing as a two guard forced into service as the SJU PG.  He has been really good at the point, and if he does not leave early will almost assuredly end up the all time leading scorer at st. Johns.  I like Mayo and think Buzz did a good job by getting him after Harrison chose SJU,  but Harrison is a complete flat out stud.  Best player on the floor n the first half

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 07:17:02 AM »
stuff happens in the heat of the moment ...similar to jae and vander not giving hi-5's...

people who have never played read too much into that.

The Mu players all know Harrison very well and as evidenced by the after game hand shakes all is forgivin after the horn. 

Bottom line ... if this is the first time Mu fans have seen Harrsion play then you only got a small taste of what he has been doing as a two guard forced into service as the SJU PG.  He has been really good at the point, and if he does not leave early will almost assuredly end up the all time leading scorer at st. Johns.  I like Mayo and think Buzz did a good job by getting him after Harrison chose SJU,  but Harrison is a complete flat out stud.  Best player on the floor n the first half

I like Harrison, would love it had he come to Marquette, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Don't forget that Chris Mullin went to SJU and scored 2,440 points. As a freshman, he averaged more points per game than Harrison has so far and was one of the most dominant scorers in conference history. In conference play, Mullin averaged 20.8 ppg for his career, second all-time in the league. His overall career scoring average of 19.5 was remarkable for a four-year player and while Harrison will have a chance to break it if he stays all four years, he's still got a loooooooong road before he passes Mullin.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 08:23:19 AM »

Happens regularly.  Not this early in the game, but it does happen regularly.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 08:30:58 AM »
Cadougan's intentions are good, but his timing is not good. In addition to the Harrison incident, he tried to get Crowder to slap his hand on the bench immediately after Crowder picked up his second foul and Crowder wasn't having it. Cadougan has to let guys stew for a minute and then build them back up. Like Billy Crystal said in Analyze This, "It's a process."

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 08:34:17 AM »
Cadougan's intentions are good, but his timing is not good. In addition to the Harrison incident, he tried to get Crowder to slap his hand on the bench immediately after Crowder picked up his second foul and Crowder wasn't having it. Cadougan has to let guys stew for a minute and then build them back up. Like Billy Crystal said in Analyze This, "It's a process."

I'm confused.  When DWilson did the same to Blue, many felt it was Blue's fault.  Now it's Cadougan's?

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 08:52:05 AM »
Chris Mullin went to SJU and scored 2,440 points. As a freshman, he averaged more points per game than Harrison has so far and was one of the most dominant scorers in conference history. In conference play, Mullin averaged 20.8 ppg for his career, second all-time in the league. His overall career scoring average of 19.5 was remarkable for a four-year player and while Harrison will have a chance to break it if he stays all four years, he's still got a loooooooong road before he passes Mullin.

And let's not forget that Mullin did all that @ St. John's while drinking a case of beer A DAY.  Remarkable.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 09:06:59 AM »
I'm confused.  When DWilson did the same to Blue, many felt it was Blue's fault.  Now it's Cadougan's?

This "slap of 5" incident was also Blue's fault. I'm not sure how just yet, but I know he was involved somehow.

mubb34

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 09:30:10 AM »
Great reaction in the BC when he fouled out, I was fired up about the noise level at that point.

I was courtside on the other end and it gave me the chills when he fouled out because the reaction was so great haha..I lost my voice just from that one whistle!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 10:04:01 AM »
All's I know is that I was THRILLED when Harrison went to the bench with 4 fouls because it meant our lads could totally ignore their outside shooters. We already were starting to play better at that point, but as soon as Harrison went out, the rout was on.

So nice job, Mr. Harrison!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 10:17:23 AM »
Not sure how everyone else felt about the other incident. I'm not blaming anyone for anything. Just offering a suggestion.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 12:45:27 PM »
And let's not forget that Mullin did all that @ St. John's while drinking a case of beer A DAY.  Remarkable.

“…Mullin is said to have sunk 194 consecutive jumpers during a workout. So pure is the stroke of such shooters that it is oblivious to all attempts at sabotage, both external, or internal. A journalist buddy of mine has a friend who used to work at a beach club on Long Island. He recalls once coming up on Mullin at the club, a few years after Mullin left St. John’s and before he quit drinking. It was late one summer night, almost dark, and the friend heard sounds coming from a nearby basketball court. Checking it out, he discovered Mullin, standing there by himself, taking swigs of beer with his right hand and launching one-handed three-pointers with his left, a partially completed six-pack at his side. Shot after shot sank through the net. Swig. Swish. Swig. Swish. Swig. Swish.”

— Chris Ballard, The Art of a Beautiful Game

SJUBall

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 05:27:40 AM »
Harrison is as fiery of a player as you will see in college ball.  Gotta love this freshman because he plays with the swag of an NBA veteran.  Hes certainly a talker but not mean-spirited.  Nasty competitor.  Lots of teams going to hate him over next few years.  Many will hate him more when a very talented Jamal Branch owns the lead guard spot and is teaming up with Harrison in the backcourt next year. Harrison will only be that much better with a Pure PG in there next to him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 08:15:56 AM »
Harrison is as fiery of a player as you will see in college ball.  Gotta love this freshman because he plays with the swag of an NBA veteran.  Hes certainly a talker but not mean-spirited.  Nasty competitor.  Lots of teams going to hate him over next few years.  Many will hate him more when a very talented Jamal Branch owns the lead guard spot and is teaming up with Harrison in the backcourt next year. Harrison will only be that much better with a Pure PG in there next to him.

I was thinking the same thing watching the game the other night - SJU could realize use a PG.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2012, 09:24:20 AM »

This is the exact reason Buzz targeted him in the recruiting game and it was a major blow when he chose the Johnnies.

Getting rookies like that with balls the size of watermelons and the game to back it up isn't so easy. Love the look of DH's game.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2012, 09:30:19 AM »
Any one notice late in the game when I think Harkless took offense to a Driscoll call, and Driscoll walked across the floor to talk to their bench to calm the kid down?  The bench then gave the kid a lecture on the baseline to settle him down. Thought that was a great move by the ref before a frustrated and immature kid melted down.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2012, 10:27:07 AM »
Any one notice late in the game when I think Harkless took offense to a Driscoll call, and Driscoll walked across the floor to talk to their bench to calm the kid down?  The bench then gave the kid a lecture on the baseline to settle him down. Thought that was a great move by the ref before a frustrated and immature kid melted down.

Driscoll did the same in the 2nd half on a call against Crowder.  Sometimes I think Driscoll is a hot head, but I have grown to appreciate his officiating.  I like it when I see him on the floor, I know he will make mistakes - who doesn't - but overall he is a fair official.  Even considering I thought the amount of time he spent talking to Blue/Taylor earlier in the game was excessive.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2012, 10:30:28 AM »
This is the exact reason Buzz targeted him in the recruiting game and it was a major blow when he chose the Johnnies.

Getting rookies like that with balls the size of watermelons and the game to back it up isn't so easy. Love the look of DH's game.

Agree with both you and SJUBall.  Many times, opposing fans are quick to lable the other players.  I did not like it when it happenned with Diener.  Outside of someone who does something intentionally bad - such as Melo with the intentional elbow - I don't like doing it to other schools players. 

That said, I was very happy when Harrison got in foul trouble and eventually fouled out.  He was the one guy I feared.  His play openned up things for other players.  Tough as nuts player and I would love to have him on MU.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2012, 10:45:43 AM »
Harrison is a punk.  But there's nothing really wrong with that.  In fact, I think he embraces it.  You don't jersey pop to the crowd 10 minutes into a game on the road after hitting a three to put you up a whopping 5 points unless you want the crowd to hate you.  And you certainly don't scream like an idiot after taking a charge and not expect the crowd to scream just as loudly when you foul out on a charge with 10 minutes left in the game.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2012, 01:05:19 PM »
Harrison is a punk.  But there's nothing really wrong with that.  In fact, I think he embraces it.  You don't jersey pop to the crowd 10 minutes into a game on the road after hitting a three to put you up a whopping 5 points unless you want the crowd to hate you.  And you certainly don't scream like an idiot after taking a charge and not expect the crowd to scream just as loudly when you foul out on a charge with 10 minutes left in the game.

By that logic half of our team is punks.  "And 1" ring any bells? 

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
By that logic half of our team is punks.  "And 1" ring any bells? 

Where did I say I don't think certain members of our team can be categorized as punks?  I also said there's nothing really wrong with being a punk.  If you can back it up and want the attention so be it.  You just have to be prepared to reap what you sow.

feedback