[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Future is (Still) Bright  (Read 8817 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Future is (Still) Bright
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 01:21:50 PM »
Burton should become a great player, but he does have to become more polished.
He is an animal on the boards and goes aggressively to score. He has to learn control, better passing skills and better D. If he develops those, he will be a big time game changer.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brandx

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014, 01:24:09 PM »
As bright as I things look going forward, this team will struggle next year. Once again, we're going to have an issue with upperclassman leadership, and I'm not sure who steps up. I think as the season evolves, Du Wilson and Burton develop into the heart of this team, but it's going to take time for this team to get its legs under it and develop an identity, especially if De Wilson is still playing long minutes next year. Would like to see Steve Taylor take a huge step forward and play with more intensity to separate himself from the Jamil Wilson mold.

I think next year will be more of the kind of team we are used to where they start out a little slow and get better as the year goes on. The lineup will be mostly young guys who will take coaching a little better.

Leadership has definitely been a problem this year - I don't think it will be next year. I think Derrick and Juan have shown they are fully invested in this team and will provide that leadership even tho' they may only play 20 minutes or less a game. As much as I have been critical of Derrick this year, he showed his heart in the 2nd half yesterday and that is going to carry over to next year. He showed the younger guys what it means to give everything even in a blowout.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2014, 01:34:45 PM »
My take on future seasons:

2014-2015: "Rebuilding year" of sorts. Buzz brings in most balanced recruiting class to date with 1 PG (Duane), 1 SG (Hill), 2 SF (Cohen/Shayock), 1 PF (Harris), and 2 C (Fischer and Pierce). Lack of upperclassmen leadership leads to a rough start in non-con (Would suggest a much easier non-con then this year). Derrick attempts to lead team with his words and Mayo attempts to lead team by "being the man." As conference play starts, the underclassmen begin to come into their own, especially the sophomores. Enter Luke Fischer to round out the rotation. Burton begins to lead the team with both words and his play. Have some decent runs in conference play and end up in the top half of the big east. Back in the tournament as mid to low seed.

2015-2016: We are back to what we have come to expect. A small class comes in but is powerful with top 60 Noskowiak and top 5 Stone (the more and more I hear, the more and more I like our chances). Taylor is the lone elder statesmen but the Junior class is the one that leads. The starting lineup of Duane, JJJ, Burton, Taylor, and Fischer (with Diamond being the 1st off the bench) dominates Big East play. We will be fighting Georgetown for the conference title (they will take a very similar path to us). End up with a four seed or higher and make a decent run in the tournament. We are in danger of losing JJJ, Burton, and Stone to the draft.

2016-2017: "The year." Assuming no major defections, this is the team we have been waiting for. Having only one scholarship, Buzz spends all of his time reeling in a stud, maybe Jayson Tatum? A starting a lineup of Duane, JJJ, Burton, Fischer, and Stone dominates non-conference play (Hill/Cohen getting major minutes off the bench). Would love to sign up for a major tournament like Maui this year. Burton conintues to be the leader on the team as he has been since the second half of his sophomore year. Roll through the BEast schedule and end up as conference champs. Get a 1/2 seed in the tournament and make a run all the way to the Final Four. Stone probably goes pro if he didn't already.

2017-2016: A down year, not as bad as the current year, but worse than expected. We come in with high hopes because our Juniors have looked solid as backups. But never having to be the "man" really affects players such as Hill/Cohen who we expected to rely on. Still come out with a NCAA tournament berth but not as high as we would have expected. Scoopers go crazy

Before anyone tries to tear this down as "blue and gold goggles" or "kool-aid slurping" let me say that I don't care. This is the trajectory I see and I am very aware of my position as one of the biggest optimists on the board. I think the future is very bright and I am looking forward to seeing this team grow.

RING OUT AHOYA!!!

This is optimistic but it's not crazy-optimistic. Every single thing you state here could happen (except the final season being 2017-16, because they don't go backwards -- aren't typos fun!).

Nice job, TAMU.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2014, 01:39:37 PM »
Hard working optimists eventually have success. Pessimist believe they are realists but, in fact, only end all hope.  They defeat themselves. Some of us are a little bit of both but the good part is we have a choice and we can change.  To second guess or worry about what others think only diffuses our focus on the goal.

I consider myself neither an optimist nor a pessimist. I am a realist.

This year was an aberration -- a confluence of confounding coaching, bad breaks and unsatisfactory guard play. Next season will be better but still not up to the standards of Buzz's first five years. 2015-16 and 2016-17 will be every bit as good as the S16-S16-E8 run -- and if breaks fall our way in The Chicos Crapshoot Tournament, a Final Four or more isn't out of the realm of possibility.

brandx

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2014, 01:39:50 PM »
Pretty good analysis, except I think 15-16 could be 'the year' if Stone is as good as advertised. we will have very good soph & junior classes to go along with stone.

brandx

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 01:41:03 PM »
I consider myself neither an optimist nor a pessimist. I am a realist.

This year was an aberration -- a confluence of confounding coaching, bad breaks and unsatisfactory guard play. Next season will be better but still not up to the standards of Buzz's first five years. 2015-16 and 2016-17 will be every bit as good as the S16-S16-E8 run -- and if breaks fall our way in The Chicos Crapshoot Tournament, a Final Four or more isn't out of the realm of possibility.

My thinking exactly.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2014, 04:11:01 PM »
My thinking exactly.

I'd also throw in the lack of a go-to guy.

Jamil's unwillingness or inability to take over the Lazar/Jimmy/Jae/Vander role made some of our other problems really stick out.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2014, 05:03:34 PM »
With everything I've heard and read about Ahmed Hill, there's no way he's on the bench and not figuring into the mix at least by 15-16.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2014, 06:36:17 PM »
I agree. Look at Nova the last couple of seasons and now look where they are at. Gtown is struggling as well though they managed to put a good game together agains MSU. Loosing Mckay, Wilson and Vander has not helped. If there are no drastic changes the future does look bright.