[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why does it hurt so much?  (Read 7213 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Why does it hurt so much?
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 09:16:50 AM »
It's pretty sad when we have to take solace in the fact that a particular bad loss was not as wrenching as another.
The fact of the matter is, they spit the bit. I wasn't able to watch it, but it sounds like a LVille replay. My feeling then was that this team is LOUSY when they start to milk the clock, and the offense disappears. Is this a defect that coaching can correct?

Last night, to me, didn't feel like UL at all aside from the deficit overcame. GTown stopped making stupid turnovers and their shots started falling. Their defense tightened up, but it didn't feel like the pissing on our shoes. This felt a lot more like them taking it than us giving it away. I always knew the run was coming. We closed the half on a 20-5, it's no surprise they could go on a 34-14 run of their own.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 10:21:38 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_aversion

"loss aversion refers to people's tendency to strongly prefer avoiding losses to acquiring gains. Some studies suggest that losses are twice as powerful, psychologically, as gains."

science'd

Exactly, every time we get a lead it seems like we're playing to avoid mistakes instead of going for the jugular.

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 12:42:19 PM »
It hurts so much, because losing is painful. It is particularly painful when the team is the best team since Coach Williams arrived. It double particularly painful because a CYO team probably could have protected a 17 point lead. It is triple painful because Coach Williams hurt his team, etc., etc. Frankly, this was worse than the Louisville loss last year. It should not have happened. And, sadly, it will take a while for the team to over-come what can only be called an ignorant loss.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 02:07:11 PM »
Worse than Louisville? You mus' be out yo damn mind! Reasons UL was worse:

1) At that point, we seemed to finally be getting a quality win away from home, something we already have this year with wins over Ole Miss, UW, the other UW, and to a lesser extent, Norfolk State.
2) This happened in 13 minutes and change, that was under 6 minutes.
3) This year we look like a NCAA lock, last year that was in doubt until March.
4) IT WAS GODDAMN LOSERVILLE!!!!!!!!!!!

When Louisville got close, I grabbed a bucket because I honestly thought I was going to puke because NO TEAM has been as responsible for our heartbreak as they have been. I absolutely hate that team, their coach, and pretty much everything about them (except for being in a conference with them). Us choking to UL is like the Packers losing to the Bears, the Yankees choking away the ALCS to the Red Sox, or Manchester United getting destroyed by Manchester City. Georgetown, aside from when we play them, I generally like and respect.

Not at all the same. That was 10,000,000,000,000 times worse.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback