Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kendrick Nunn at the game today  (Read 15313 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Kendrick Nunn at the game today
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 11:22:19 PM »
Mayo's brother went pro after one season. Mayo is here next year and one more, if we are lucky.

I'd agree 100%. With Mayo already being 21, it wouldn't surprise me if he at least tested the waters this year. I doubt he's playing here in 2013-14.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 11:26:32 PM »
Are any of you serious about Mayo going to the pros??  He is not overly quick, makes bad decisions with the ball at times.  He is along way off to the
NBA.  Sure he has a pretty J with nobody on him, but he has not shown he can make a jumper with somebody on him.  The NBA is a different game, ask
Jimmy, has barely seen the court and Lazar is probably 13th man on OKC.  He needs to add 15 to 20 lbs. of muscle, so does Vander.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 11:30:14 PM »
I'd agree 100%. With Mayo already being 21, it wouldn't surprise me if he at least tested the waters this year. I doubt he's playing here in 2013-14.

I'm sorry, but he is not going anywhere.  A 6th man, 6'3", 190 pound shooting guard who is averaging under 10 points per game in hardly over 20 minutes per game while shooting under 43% from the field and has more turnovers than assists on the year is not on any NBA GM's radars.  I don't care if he's 21 or 41 or 14 years old, his pro prospects are better by playing in the Big East for another couple years than they are in riding the pine in Europe somewhere.  Just ask Jerel McNeal and Dominic James how trying to go from Europe to the NBA is going.  That would be the route Mayo would have to go to make it to the NBA if he left Marquette after this year.  I love Todd Mayo, and have been saying since the Wisconsin game that I think he is already a better player than DJO (I think he is a much more smooth player and a better defender...DJO does have a much better mid-range game, but gets more out of control as well), but he is not going anywhere after this year, and he would be a fool if he did.  He's an undersized shooting guard who doesn't have the point guard skills he needs to play in the NBA.  Stick around for a few years and he'll get there.  Age does not matter if you are not going to be drafted.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2012, 11:34:10 PM »
I'd take Nunn in a heartbeat. You don't pass guys with his talent up.
What he said.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2012, 11:40:20 PM »
I'm sorry, but he is not going anywhere.  A 6th man, 6'3", 190 pound shooting guard who is averaging under 10 points per game in hardly over 20 minutes per game while shooting under 43% from the field and has more turnovers than assists on the year is not on any NBA GM's radars.  I don't care if he's 21 or 41 or 14 years old, his pro prospects are better by playing in the Big East for another couple years than they are in riding the pine in Europe somewhere.  Just ask Jerel McNeal and Dominic James how trying to go from Europe to the NBA is going.  That would be the route Mayo would have to go to make it to the NBA if he left Marquette after this year.  I love Todd Mayo, and have been saying since the Wisconsin game that I think he is already a better player than DJO (I think he is a much more smooth player and a better defender...DJO does have a much better mid-range game, but gets more out of control as well), but he is not going anywhere after this year, and he would be a fool if he did.  He's an undersized shooting guard who doesn't have the point guard skills he needs to play in the NBA.  Stick around for a few years and he'll get there.  Age does not matter if you are not going to be drafted.

I think we both assessed Todd pretty well.  Long and I mean a long way away from the association.  I do think he is nice freshman addition, that is for sure.  I like his game better than
I like Vanders. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 12:39:54 AM »
Mayo's best shot at the league is while he's still young enough to have upside. At his age, that window gets smaller every season. I'm not saying he should go, or that he'd get drafted if he does go, but that his best shot at getting drafted is at 21 or 22, not 24.

If Jereme Richmond can declare after one year, so can Mayo. He's a far more pro-ready prospect. Don't think about it as what you think is best for the player, think about what is best for his odds to be drafted.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 12:49:54 AM »
Mayo's best shot at the league is while he's still young enough to have upside. At his age, that window gets smaller every season. I'm not saying he should go, or that he'd get drafted if he does go, but that his best shot at getting drafted is at 21 or 22, not 24.

If Jereme Richmond can declare after one year, so can Mayo. He's a far more pro-ready prospect. Don't think about it as what you think is best for the player, think about what is best for his odds to be drafted.

I am thinking about it as what is best for his odds to be drafted.  A kid who was a 2 star recruit (meaning he wasn't on NBA GM's radar to begin with) and doesn't even start on his college team that also has more turnovers than he has assists on the season and is a 6 foot 3 inch shooting guard is not going to get drafted, it just won't happen.  Now, if he stays a couple years and gains point guard skills he definitely could get drafted at 23 as a point guard.  He will not get drafted as a 21 year old shooting guard.  And just because Jereme Richmond declared for the NBA Draft does not mean it makes Todd Mayo worthy of a draft pick.  Richmond is 6'7" and was a top 35 player coming into college.   Leaving because this guy left is ridiculous.  Not to mention, he went undrafted and is now in jail, so I am not sure he is the best example to prove your point...

A basketball player does not lose potential as he gets older (until he is past his prime, which Todd will not be at age 24).  21 year old Todd Mayo has the same ceiling that 24 year old Todd Mayo will have, but 24 year old Todd Mayo will just be closer to that ceiling.  20 year old Harrison Barnes will be the #1 overall pick just like 19 year old Harrison Barnes would've been last year.  He didn't lose any draftability or desirability because it's a year later.  Guys who you take based on potential are guys who GMs believe will one day be an NBA All Star.  They are willing to pass up more immediate production from someone with a lower ceiling to make sure another team behind them does not get a guy who in 3 years will be twice the player that their guy is.  This happens in the lottery and that is about it.  Guys like Tristian Thompson are taken above more proven players like Kemba Walker based on potential, but that is in the lottery, not in the 2nd round.  Once you get to the bottom of the 1st round and into the 2nd round, the college players that are taken are not taken based on potential but based on what they did in college.

You only need to look at the 2011 NBA Draft results to see this.  There were a total of 7 freshman take in the draft last year, and 4 of them were taken in the top 8 picks.  There was only 1 taken in the 2nd round, and that was Josh Shelby, who was a 5 star recruit that was ranked #1 overall by some recruiting services and top 5 overall by every recruiting service.  There were also only 7 sophomores taken in the draft last year.  So if you really think Todd Mayo is one of the 15 most draftable underclassmen in the entire country, then I really would enjoy whatever kool-aid you're drinking, because that must be really strong.  Todd is not even close to being ready for the NBA and would absolutely not be drafted.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 01:47:02 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 12:55:15 AM »

I don't disagree with your sentiment BUT Lazar came in at the same age and was drafted in the 1st after playing 4 years. I don't think he would've been drafted had he left early.....certainly not in the 1st round.  It's an apples to oranges comparison, but Mayo has plenty of time to prove his draft worthiness.  For all of the hoopla on getting guys with the most "upside" early in the draft, there is the other end where teams look for a more known commodity ala all MU products not named Wade.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 12:58:26 AM »
I am thinking about it as what is best for his odds to be drafted.  A kid who was a 2 star recruit (meaning he wasn't on NBA GM's radar to begin with) and doesn't even start on his college team that also has more turnovers than he has assists on the season and is a 6 foot 3 inch shooting guard is not going to get drafted, it just won't happen.  Now, if he stays a couple years and gains point guard skills he definitely could get drafted at 23 as a point guard.  He will not get drafted as a 21 year old shooting guard.  And just because Jereme Richmond declared for the NBA Draft does not mean it makes Todd Mayo worthy of a draft pick.  Richmond is 6'7" and was a top 35 player coming into college.   Leaving because this guy left is ridiculous.  Not to mention, he went undrafted...
Yeah, it may be his best shot at getting drafted but it is still a long shot. Why risk four years of being on national television in the Big East, winning some big tournament games, while getting a $100,000 tuition on such a long shot? His brother left early cause he was guaranteed lottery pick BEFORE he even set foot on campus. Todd is a totally different story.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 06:37:13 AM »
Getting Nunn can't do anything than help Marquette in its recruiting efforts of Jabari Parker
Taylor/Nunn/Parker play great together at Simeon

Jabari Parker isn't considering Marquette.  The Simeon coach was quoted in the Bloomington (IL) Pantagraph this past week saying something like "it's too bad Steve Taylor and Jabari Parker can't play together in college since they work so well together on the court".  

In watching the 4 Simeon games online from the Pontiac Holiday Tournament, Taylor could have easily been given the MVP trophy that went to Parker and even one of the internet broadcasters said he thought Taylor was going to get the MVP. Parker played very well, especially in the tough semi-final against Peoria Manual, but Taylor had a better tourney overall IMHO as Parker had some foul issue's in a couple games.  Not saying Taylor is the better player at all as Parker is an elite talent, but Steve stood out in this tournament and had a great overall game in the final.  The only time I thought Taylor was below average was in the semi-final game when he deferred to others and wasn't as aggressive.

In talking with another gentleman who see's a lot of high school and AAU games, we had the same conclusion that Kendrick Nunn has a lot of the same qualities on the court as Jerel McNeal.  Nunn is more explosive athletically than McNeal and is also stronger.  Nunn is a better perimeter shooter at this point, but Jerel was better slashing off the dribble.  Both can really defend and get steals that they can turn into points.  Would like to see Nunn handle the ball more, but with Simeon having 3 point guards, itt's understandable.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:42:08 AM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2012, 08:57:09 AM »
Sign him. Stud and tough.  Benford has opened up Chicago, and having Jimmy buds with DR doesn't hurt with Simeon (nor does having Mayo here).  All about The League.  btw, S. Taylor is so underrated it is sick.  Just so well-rounded in all aspects.

I've heard Buzz say that he expects S. Taylor to get minutes next year...guessing at the 4 to back up J. Wilson.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2012, 09:17:33 AM »
Again, I'm not saying he should declare. I don't think he will after this season, but he may test the waters to get a better eval of what he needs to do to declare early. He has an edge on most other 3-star recruits because his last name is Mayo. He'll likely stay at least one more year and see how he does in the DJO role (assuming he wins the job over TJ, Jones, and Anderson). If he averages 15+ as a soph while playing some point, it wouldn't at all surprised me if he declared.

All I'm saying is don't confuse should with would. Should he declare after his freshman or sophomore year? Probably not. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2012, 09:42:07 AM »
Just remember that after DJO lit it up after his sophomore year, people thought that he would leave after his junior year.  The move from a role player to being the center of the offense is a big change.  Let's see how Todd reacts to that next year when he will likely be starting in DJO's place.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2012, 10:33:38 AM »
Sign him. Stud and tough.  Benford has opened up Chicago, and having Jimmy buds with DR doesn't hurt with Simeon

OH MAN, I completely didn't think about this!

I'm completely fine with the best player on Simeon coming to Marquette every year.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2012, 11:08:22 AM »
I expect Mayo to start next year and average a lot of points. I really think he plays another year after that, but I do think he leaves early.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2012, 02:23:36 PM »
Why not wait until the guy becomes a star before predicting he will leave early?

The reality is nobody has any idea at this point if he will be good enough to consider it. So far he has had some good games and some bad games....like most good freshmen players.

Richmond leaving early was idiotic.......Mayo has a brother already in the league to help him not make mistakes like the one Richmond made. Todd seems to have  good head on his shoulders and is enjoying his time at MU.

I'm not saying he won't be an NBA player but I wouldn't put any money on it happening.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2012, 02:35:25 PM »
Looks like the Simeon coach and Parker agree with you Ted. This is from a Q and A with Simeon Coach Robert Smith.,

Which player impressed you the most?

Besides Jabari, Steve Taylor. After the championship, Jabari said Steve should have won the Williamson award. I think so, too. Steve stayed under control, rebounded, scored when we needed him to score and guarded the other team's best player (Curie's 6-9 Cliff Alexander was limited to one basket in the championship game). alex only got one basket). He played like a senior for the tournament.

Jabari Parker isn't considering Marquette.  The Simeon coach was quoted in the Bloomington (IL) Pantagraph this past week saying something like "it's too bad Steve Taylor and Jabari Parker can't play together in college since they work so well together on the court".  

In watching the 4 Simeon games online from the Pontiac Holiday Tournament, Taylor could have easily been given the MVP trophy that went to Parker and even one of the internet broadcasters said he thought Taylor was going to get the MVP. Parker played very well, especially in the tough semi-final against Peoria Manual, but Taylor had a better tourney overall IMHO as Parker had some foul issue's in a couple games.  Not saying Taylor is the better player at all as Parker is an elite talent, but Steve stood out in this tournament and had a great overall game in the final.  The only time I thought Taylor was below average was in the semi-final game when he deferred to others and wasn't as aggressive.

In talking with another gentleman who see's a lot of high school and AAU games, we had the same conclusion that Kendrick Nunn has a lot of the same qualities on the court as Jerel McNeal.  Nunn is more explosive athletically than McNeal and is also stronger.  Nunn is a better perimeter shooter at this point, but Jerel was better slashing off the dribble.  Both can really defend and get steals that they can turn into points.  Would like to see Nunn handle the ball more, but with Simeon having 3 point guards, itt's understandable.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2012, 01:14:27 PM »
Did Vander slap five with him?

No, and Kendrick noticed immediately, saying: "It made me feel like I was already a part of the team."
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2012, 01:27:19 PM »

While I'm not harboring any expectations, I am willing to consider that maybe Simeon's coach was trying to plant a seed with Jabari about why MU might be worth consideration.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2012, 01:43:22 PM »

Don't think about any of those things. As is the case with lots and lots of college players, think about what his peeps are whispering in his ear as well as what his ego is telling him to do.

Plenty of college kids (and preps, when they were allowed to go pro) have ignored whether or not they really were ready for the NBA and have taken awful advice. Jereme Richmond is an excellent example.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2012, 01:49:02 PM »
While I'm not harboring any expectations, I am willing to consider that maybe Simeon's coach was trying to plant a seed with Jabari about why MU might be worth consideration.

Or maybe Steve Taylor will leave for the NBA after leading the Warriors to the national championship his freshman year. Hence he won't be around when Jabbari Parker arrives to help MU to its second consecutive title.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2012, 02:00:32 PM »
Plenty of college kids (and preps, when they were allowed to go pro) have ignored whether or not they really were ready for the NBA and have taken awful advice. Jereme Richmond is an excellent example.

Richmond had made up his mind to be a one-and-done before he ever finished high school. It's my understanding that he never attended class second semester. Despite not being overly productive on the court, coming back to Illinois wasn't even an option since he would have been ineligible.

Again, I'm not saying he should declare. I don't think he will after this season, but he may test the waters to get a better eval of what he needs to do to declare early. He has an edge on most other 3-star recruits because his last name is Mayo. He'll likely stay at least one more year and see how he does in the DJO role (assuming he wins the job over TJ, Jones, and Anderson). If he averages 15+ as a soph while playing some point, it wouldn't at all surprised me if he declared.

All I'm saying is don't confuse should with would. Should he declare after his freshman or sophomore year? Probably not. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't.

I agree with this 100%. The NBA Draft is based largely on potential and a 24-year-old coming out of college isn't going to be overly appealing to most teams. If Mayo has a strong showing next year, I would not be at all surprised if he declared. In fact, I would probably be more surprised if he came back.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2012, 06:35:16 PM »
We all want Mayo to finish. That means he'll graduate.
SS Marquette

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2012, 08:46:59 PM »
Not sure how you watch 12 or 13 games from Mayo and say he's going to leave after 3 years, not a lot of open guard spots in the NBA. That said how do you not accept a top 50 player, especially at PG...don't see Wilson being the dynamic PG that top teams need in CBB.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2012, 08:54:26 PM »
First of all there is no way he leaves after this year. I do expect him to get DJO's starting spot next year and I do expect him to score at least 15 points a game. I am not arguing whether he will make the pros or not. I do think the fact that his brother left early makes it more likely he leaves early.