[Today at 08:39:42 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:53:13 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by The Equalizer
[June 07, 2024, 05:10:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dominic James  (Read 9069 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Dominic James
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2011, 02:57:40 PM »
Any chance there's some sort of middle ground between "he sucks on offense" and "premier offensive player"?  No one calling you out has said he was premier, only that he didn't suck which is what you said.

Agree. There is an entire galaxy between "premier offensive player" and "can't make a layup". Vander lives in that galaxy, along with, dare I say, the vast majority of D1 college players.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2011, 04:20:12 PM »
So I guess "sucks", "not good", "below average" mean different things to difference people. 

Offense is about putting the ball in the basket.

"Great" players can score in a variety of fashions

"Above average" players are great at one thing (lights out shooter) or solid in a couple of areas.

"Average" players can score in one fashion.  They are good jump shooters but thats it.  Like a Cubes

"Below average" aren't good in any area.

I see Blue in the "Below average" range.  He is not a good jump shooter.  He can not finish.  And at many moments, he makes poor decisions while driving.  He is very athletic and can get to the rim at will.  But that alone doesn't score points.  I think "below average" players suck.  And I think most of you would think so too if he wasn't wearing Marquette across his chest.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2011, 04:28:57 PM »
So I guess "sucks", "not good", "below average" mean different things to difference people. 

"Above average" players are great at one thing (lights out shooter) or solid in a couple of areas.

"Average" players can score in one fashion.  They are good jump shooters but thats it.  Like a Cubes

I see Blue in the "Below average" range.  He is not a good jump shooter.  He can not finish.  And at many moments, he makes poor decisions while driving.  He is very athletic and can get to the rim at will.  But that alone doesn't score points.  I think "below average" players suck.  And I think most of you would think so too if he wasn't wearing Marquette across his chest.

Exactly.  Offense is about putting the ball in the basket.  Blue is shooting 44% from 3PT, 48% from the field, and 67% from the line.  So he is doing exactly what you define offense as.  If he is not exceeding your expectations, maybe that's your problem not his. 

GOO

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2011, 04:33:26 PM »
I'm very happy that Blue is wearing an MU uniform and not a UW uniform.  I was thinking that during the MU/UW game.

Were you a critic of McNeal his first year and second year? I'd assume so.  Wade his first year: Ya he could drive and finish, but that was about it - problems with the handle, defense (other than jumping passing lanes for steals), no reliable jump shot.  I liked these guys despite their limits... that is what college is about, seeing these guys add pieces to their games from year to year.  Few come in as well rounded players.

I for one see Blue as a young player that could easily exceed McNeal's all around game.  I don't think he'll break McNeals scoring record, but then again, the 3 amigos were in a special situation where the 3 of them had to start and score from freshman year on.  But Blue already is solid on D, is great in the open court.  He needs to work on his jumper and finishing.  No doubt, but it looks like he is doing a better job this year than last year already.  

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2011, 04:45:10 PM »
Again.  Stats are great for ESPN but not really evaluating a player.  We all know he can beat up HS teams.  But when he plays higher level teams, he really struggles.  Look at his stats from his first 9 games of last season.  Looked pretty good.  But when he played better teams, he really crapped the bed.  And that is what I am getting after.  I honestly have nothing against the kid.  I just see similar bad habits as last season.  So I am not going to get jazzed about some good stats when I see he is still struggling doing certain things. 

Stats are not going to show how he gets caught in the air too often or that he has a hard time getting a shot off a shot blocker or that he can't go left.  If he magically learns how to fix these things by conference play, I would love it.  Knowing that it takes time, I have this feeling that he will struggle again in BE play.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2011, 04:48:59 PM »
Again.  Stats are great for ESPN but not really evaluating a player.  We all know he can beat up HS teams.  But when he plays higher level teams, he really struggles.  Look at his stats from his first 9 games of last season.  Looked pretty good.  But when he played better teams, he really crapped the bed.  And that is what I am getting after.  I honestly have nothing against the kid.  I just see similar bad habits as last season.  So I am not going to get jazzed about some good stats when I see he is still struggling doing certain things. 

Stats are not going to show how he gets caught in the air too often or that he has a hard time getting a shot off a shot blocker or that he can't go left.  If he magically learns how to fix these things by conference play, I would love it.  Knowing that it takes time, I have this feeling that he will struggle again in BE play.

This is my last response, because frankly, I do not like arguing on the internet and this thread is about James.

However, if you refuse to use stats, and are instead using your own eye test, no one can really argue with you because you have a subjective standard. 

As to the objective standard, yes - his current stats are against lesser teams, but when comparing them against our own players, those players have also played the same teams.  I can agree with you on one thing though - let's wait and see how he does against BE competition.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

JD

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2011, 04:53:34 PM »
I don't really understand the harsh response on Van's play. I would think if anybody deserves to be on the chopping block it would be Junior?

Anyway, hope things come around for Dominic, he was a terrific MU player!
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2011, 05:39:04 PM »

I think this is more of a argument in linguistics than facts.

Using your scale, the following players "Suck": Jamail Jones, Derrick Wilson, Junior Cadougan, Jamil Wilson, Chris Otule and a ton of former players.

I would say none of those players suck, even though each has holes in his game. You would say they suck because they are below average in several areas (shooting, defense, finishing).