[Today at 09:54:20 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU storming the court  (Read 7480 times)

MountainCreekHouse

• Starter
  • Danktatoes
MU storming the court
« on: December 11, 2011, 11:47:39 PM »
After watching the replay of the IU UK game over and over and over again, it got me thinking; has MU ever stormed the court at the Bradley Center? And if not, do you think the BC officials would allow it in the future?
Farva:"Give me six Schlitzes."
O'Hagan: "Take it easy, Rod."
Farva: "Open bar, dude!"

Windyplayer

• All American
Re: MU storming the court
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 11:53:33 PM »
The student section "stormed" the court in 2005, I believe. Mason drained a baseline jumper while being fouled and hit the free throw to beat Louisville. It was a down year so we were desperate to latch onto any positivity. The storming itself was pretty underwhelming, but nonetheless, we were on the court.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 11:54:57 PM »
After beating Cincy in 03 (I think 03) to clinch the CUSA title.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 11:56:03 PM »
The student section "stormed" the court in 2005, I believe. Mason drained a baseline jumper while being fouled and hit the free throw to beat Louisville. It was a down year so we were desperate to latch onto any positivity. The storming itself was pretty underwhelming, but nonetheless, we were on the court.
As luck would have it, the link below provides a picture of the shot Mason was fouled on against Louisville.

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/dameon_mason

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 12:05:33 AM »

There is a pretty big image of this in the northwest corner of the Al

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 12:10:43 AM »
Never when I was in school. Closest we got was UConn in 2005-06. but security was ready to stand in the way of that one.

Honestly as crazy as it sounds, my hope is that MU is never in a situation where storming the court for a win is acceptable. MU is a great basketball team and I believe that we have a great chance to win every game we play at the Bradley Center. I see storming the court as a concession that you never believed that your team would win the game. With the current Marquette team, we're too good to storm the court for a win and I hope we stay that way.

On the other hand, UK was #1 team in the country, IU is 37–66 and 8-46 under Crean so storming the court was acceptable. but again, how many IU fans walked into Assembly Hall genuinely believing their team would win.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 12:11:18 AM »
As luck would have it, the link below provides a picture of the shot Mason was fouled on against Louisville.

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/dameon_mason

I remember that game pretty vividly.  Pretty awesome ending and I had a nice view of the final possession even from the upper bowl on the opposite side.  Mason was a pretty good talent, shame he never stuck around longer with MU.

MountainCreekHouse

• Starter
  • Danktatoes
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 12:24:13 AM »

On the other hand, UK was #1 team in the country, IU is 37–66 and 8-46 under Crean so storming the court was acceptable. but again, how many IU fans walked into Assembly Hall genuinely believing their team would win.

My friends who go to IU (I have many being from Indy) literally ALL believed they were going to win that game. A phrase I heard a lot over Thanksgiving break and even more now that they won was "Indiana's Back!" Therefore I disagree with you that storming the court means you have no chance of winning... back in the 08-09 season when we played #2 UConn at home is still the most electric atmosphere I have ever seen at the Bradley Center, and I believe if we won that game it would have constituted a court storm (UConn was #1 in the country the week before).

Regardless, I'm glad that it sounds like a court storming has (kinda?) happened. I would definitely do it if we beat the #1 ranked team, hands down.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 06:29:59 AM »
The Dameon Mason shot was in the 2003-2004 season.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 06:41:38 AM »
We stormed the court after our win against Notre Dame on December 9, 1989.  Don't judge us...it was a different time.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 06:43:50 AM »
Early in '98-'99 season after beating Cinci, and then again in '02 (I think).

I remember there was a great photo of the crowd with someone waving a big American flag.  

found it...
http://www.replayphotos.com/marquettephotos/campus-print/fans-storm-court-beat-bearcats_14463.cfm
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 06:48:55 AM by MU B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 07:19:52 AM »
I don't know about now, but in the 90's the security at the Bradley Center was brutal and did everything they could to keep people from storming the court.  There was a minor court storming when we beat Memphis (95?), and a complete storming at the MECCA in 95 when we beat South Florida to go to the NIT semifinals in 95.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 07:48:04 AM »
and a complete storming at the MECCA in 95 when we beat South Florida to go to the NIT semifinals in 95.

I was there for that.  Defintely a complete storming.  I distinctly remember nearly the entire Marquette team on the scorer's tables doing the "Can-Can" to "New York, New York".

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 07:53:25 AM »
I would definitely do it if we beat the #1 ranked team, hands down.

Good luck man. Whenever there's even a chance that the students would decide to rush the court the security people bring out metal barricades and line up like 25 of them to prevent the students from rushing the court. I think any team that has fans rush the court gets fined by the NCAA so we try really hard to prevent it from happening.

Frankly, for huge wins (upset of #1, clinch conference) I think it's pretty sweet so if you can be the brave soul to break through security and start a court rush, do it man.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 07:57:22 AM »
We stormed the court against Cinncy in 2003 in the regular season finale when clinched our first conference title.  My buddy and I left immediately after the completion of the storm for a week in PCB......a week could not have been any sweeter.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 08:03:45 AM »
Good luck man. Whenever there's even a chance that the students would decide to rush the court the security people bring out metal barricades and line up like 25 of them to prevent the students from rushing the court.

This. Every game I was ever at that had even the slight possibility of fans on the court, security would set up the barricades and line the edge of the court with 4-5 minutes left in the game.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 08:12:14 AM »

I do not recall the students storming the court in the Louisville game you mention.  After the FT, Louisville still had a chance to inbound.  Maybe a couple made it on, but I am seriously questioning that.

The Cincy game in '03, they stormed the court.  Not because of beating Cincy, but because of winning the C-USA Championship.

muzzwilliams

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 08:31:56 AM »
Its my goal to be on that court this season. With or without you guys. (I'd prefer with)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 08:38:21 AM »

I was there right next to Wade.  Remember it perfectly!

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 08:40:53 AM »
This. Every game I was ever at that had even the slight possibility of fans on the court, security would set up the barricades and line the edge of the court with 4-5 minutes left in the game.

I remember this as well. The only time I thought that storming was really in play was the first game in the BEast when we destroyed Uconn, although in retrospect, maybe not storming announced our arrival moreso than storming.

My thought behind the barricades and super intense security is that its a byproduct of Marquette's lease with the BC. MU has told the BC we get fined for storming, so maybe there is a contractual issue whereby the BC has to prevent it? Maybe the NCAA fine falls to the BC? Either way, I have a feeling that never allowing storming even where it might be appropriate (like that UConn game) arises out of the BC being a separate private entity from MU, so they will never turn a blind eye and wink at the students the same way a University-run venue might.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 08:45:18 AM »
I was there right next to Wade.  Remember it perfectly!

The caption is wrong on the pic with Wade and the flag. That was when MU beat #4 Cincy in 2002. I'm in that picture and I know that I didn't storm the court post-graduation in '02.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 08:51:40 AM »
The caption is wrong on the pic with Wade and the flag. That was when MU beat #4 Cincy in 2002. I'm in that picture and I know that I didn't storm the court post-graduation in '02.

I didnt see a caption on the picture, and yes victory over Cinci in 02.  I am also in that picture.

What was Cinci ranked when we beat them and stormed the court in 98-99 #2?  Fresh off a Great Alaska victory over DUke?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 08:52:26 AM »

Agreed. My friends and I are in the picture as well and we were there for both the 2002 and 2003 stormings...definitely 2002, this picture has a proud place in my office.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 08:54:27 AM »
We stormed after beating Kentucky at the metrodome in the elite eight.  Security promptly kicked us off, I don't think they expected the rush on a neutral court.

warriors4ever32

• Walk-On
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 08:54:49 AM »
I sit front row in the student section for just about every game and have been for the past 4 years.  At every 4 minute media timeout the security moved the barracades up right in front of the students and then stand there so that they can't storm the court.  If we would have beaten UCONN in 08-09 we would not have stormed the court.  Sadly, it just won't ever happen.  Also, yes, the NCAA does give any university a fine for if there student section storms the court (football or basketball).  I believe the fine is $25,000.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 09:06:02 AM »
We stormed after beating Kentucky at the metrodome in the elite eight.  Security promptly kicked us off, I don't think they expected the rush on a neutral court.

The storming was actually done after we beat Pitt in the regional semi's.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 09:31:17 AM »
Its my goal to be on that court this season. With or without you guys. (I'd prefer with)

At no point should we storm the court this season.  We are a highly ranked team.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2011, 09:32:06 AM »
I do not recall the students storming the court in the Louisville game you mention.  After the FT, Louisville still had a chance to inbound.  Maybe a couple made it on, but I am seriously questioning that.

It happened. I was there.

MountainCreekHouse

• Starter
  • Danktatoes
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2011, 09:36:04 AM »
 Sadly, it just won't ever happen.  Also, yes, the NCAA does give any university a fine for if there student section storms the court (football or basketball).  I believe the fine is $25,000.

You claim it won't happen, yet there are many testimonials on this post that it already HAS happened at the BC, sooooo it sounds like it definitely can happen again...

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2011, 09:36:50 AM »
At no point should we storm the court this season.  We are a highly ranked team.

I think they should storm the court every single game.

Who cares? They are having fun. People need to get over this.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2011, 09:39:30 AM »

There is not a game on the schedule that is rush worthy.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2011, 09:44:54 AM »

Current students, and only current students, should be allowed to rush the court, if and only if, the team is unranked and defeats a top 5 team in the country. Period.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2011, 09:45:11 AM »

Agreed.  Unless we clinch the Big East regular season title at home.  Definitely storm worthy.

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2011, 09:47:10 AM »
When we clinch our first and maybe only Big East title this year (given conference realignment), let's all agree to storm.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2011, 09:51:08 AM »
Agreed.  Unless we clinch the Big East regular season title at home.  Definitely storm worthy.

Agree

When we clinch our first and maybe only Big East title this year (given conference realignment), let's all agree to storm.

Agreed.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2011, 09:56:30 AM »
a complete storming at the MECCA in 95 when we beat South Florida to go to the NIT semifinals in 95.

Every time I consider tut-tutting at students that storm the court, I remember doing this.  It was awesome.  Also, thank God Marquette is in a better place than this.

Agreed.  Unless we clinch the Big East regular season title at home.  Definitely storm worthy.

That would be much more storm worthy.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2011, 10:02:18 AM »
I will give you clinching the Big East at home as rush worthy.

But all of this talk is pointless.  The Bradley Center won't allow it so it doesn't matter what is worthy and what isn't.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2011, 10:10:38 AM »
We stormed the court after our win against Notre Dame on December 9, 1989.  Don't judge us...it was a different time.

I wuz there...  We were making some vulgar chants to Digger Phelps too.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2011, 10:19:04 AM »
We stormed the court against Cinncy in 2003 in the regular season finale when clinched our first conference title.  My buddy and I left immediately after the completion of the storm for a week in PCB......a week could not have been any sweeter.

I realize you are young but that was not MU's first conference title

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2011, 10:36:31 AM »
Uh forget the basketball court!! When I was at Marquette, we stormed downtown Milwaukee and the lakefront. At night. In the rain. Rather heavy rain as I sorta recall.

We had just won the NCAA Championship!

Amateurs take on a basketball court. Real fans storm a city when they've got something to really celebrate!!!!

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2011, 10:45:01 AM »
The storming was actually done after we beat Pitt in the regional semi's.

I stand corrected.  I thought it was the Kentucky game...guess I'm getting old.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2011, 11:07:33 AM »
You claim it won't happen, yet there are many testimonials on this post that it already HAS happened at the BC, sooooo it sounds like it definitely can happen again...

Like I said man: good luck. The barricade/security policy was implemented after every single storming of the court that this thread has referenced. Prior to the CUSA championship there was little, if any, attempt to prevent going onto the court. In the years since then it has become considerably more difficult to do so. Just because it happened in the past doesn't mean it absolutely will happen in the future.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2011, 11:21:37 AM »

KO's first game against ND.  We wanted to name buildings after him for that.  We had an 8? game losing streak to ND then.  This was when ND was easily our most hated rival.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2011, 11:27:20 AM »
KO's first game against ND.  We wanted to name buildings after him for that.  We had an 8? game losing streak to ND then.  This was when ND was easily our most hated rival.

The very next Saturday afternoon, we played a top 10 (and defending national champion) Michigan team pretty well before losing to them late.  The evening after that game may actually be the drunkest I have ever been in my life.

Man was MU basketball lame back then.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2011, 11:32:11 AM »

I remember there was a great photo of the crowd with someone waving a big American flag.  

found it...
http://www.replayphotos.com/marquettephotos/campus-print/fans-storm-court-beat-bearcats_14463.cfm

I was there too...but you already knew that.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2011, 12:13:27 PM »

The very next Saturday afternoon, we played a top 10 (and defending national champion) Michigan team pretty well before losing to them late.  The evening after that game may actually be the drunkest I have ever been in my life.

Man was MU basketball lame back then.

You and me both. We got our game face on by doing the century club before heading down to the Bradley Center. Once there, the beers flowed too freely for our own good. One of my buddy's passed out that night in his bar stool at OD's. We had to pick his head up a couple times when people spilled their drinks near us so he didn't take it all in the face. The game itself was awesome and we lost in the last minute.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2011, 12:15:24 PM »
Sultan---Nice  call on the back to back ND and Michigan games. We were lame then but KO changed the culture. On back to back Saturday afternoon's we were back in D1 ball. The excitement at those two games was big and I believe those two games are a big part of our history. Without those two games we might be UWM or worse today.

FYI I stormed the court in 89, the Cincy win and a game against Duke in Madison.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2011, 01:10:45 PM »
I ended up on the floor after the 2004 Dameon Mason game against Louisville, but it was pretty underwhelming. Only about 30-50 students or so made it onto the floor before security regained control. The last full-on court-storming was after beating Cincinnati on Senior Day in 2003 to win conference USA outright.

Before the Georgetown game in 2006, Crean invited a few of the regulars who would line up hours ahead of time (myself included) inside out of the cold to watch the team's walkthrough. At the end of the walkthrough, he invited us down to the floor level to "practice storming the court." Steve Novak tossed up a three, swished it, and the group of maybe 20-25 kids ran onto the floor screaming and high-fiving the players. One of my friends got damn near leapfrogged by Ousmane Barro, and at one point I recall Jerel McNeal or Dominic James piggybacking on my back.

We ended up beating Georgetown to basically seal a spot in the tournament, but no rushings took place.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2011, 01:25:37 PM »
I ended up on the floor after the 2004 Dameon Mason game against Louisville, but it was pretty underwhelming. Only about 30-50 students or so made it onto the floor before security regained control. The last full-on court-storming was after beating Cincinnati on Senior Day in 2003 to win conference USA outright.
d up beating Georgetown to basically seal a spot in the tournament, but no rushings took place.

That makes more sense to me.  I would not call that "storming the court".  I was at the game, and frankly, never saw anyone on the floor.  And I am 4 rows off the floor.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2011, 01:28:26 PM »

...and when you storm, you have to yell your MUScoop alias...
The "average fan" is an idiot.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2011, 02:57:42 PM »

Before the Georgetown game in 2006, Crean invited a few of the regulars who would line up hours ahead of time (myself included) inside out of the cold to watch the team's walkthrough. At the end of the walkthrough, he invited us down to the floor level to "practice storming the court." Steve Novak tossed up a three, swished it, and the group of maybe 20-25 kids ran onto the floor screaming and high-fiving the players. One of my friends got damn near leapfrogged by Ousmane Barro, and at one point I recall Jerel McNeal or Dominic James piggybacking on my back.

We ended up beating Georgetown to basically seal a spot in the tournament, but no rushings took place.

as a student, that would be awesome.  in retrospect, what a typical I4 event.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2011, 03:52:29 PM »

The Cincy game in '03, they stormed the court.  Not because of beating Cincy, but because of winning the C-USA Championship.
Like I said, not really a storming, per se, but I and other were on the court and we were not supposed to be and we left the court without being escorted (or arrested). In that sense, it was a storming.

And to storm the court it doesn't have to be after a shot goes in as time expires. A big win is a big win no matter how it ends.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2011, 03:52:52 PM »

found it...

Funny story, I was the one who brought the flag to that game.  That was the season following 9/11, so flags and outward signs of patriotism were everywhere, though in retrospect I'm surprised they let us bring it in since it was on a rusty sharp metal rod.  Anyways, the night before my next door neighbors came over after bar close, they were wasted and had stolen the flag off of an apartment building and were waving it around in a patriotic fervor.  The next morning we got up for the game and started drinking early and ran all the way down to the BC in the freezing cold waving the flag.  We managed to get into the front row of the student section and waved the flag regularly.  When the game was over we all rushed the court, and I brought the flag on.  Soon everyone was on the court, and someone next to me was sitting on his friend's shoulders, and asked for the flag.  I handed it up to him and eventually he made it into the (to me) famous shot of D. Wade in the crowd next to the flag.  After that I'm not sure where it went, but it ended up in so many photos of the game, and I think it really makes the pictures seem timeless.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2011, 03:56:54 PM »
Funny story, I was the one who brought the flag to that game.  That was the season following 9/11, so flags and outward signs of patriotism were everywhere, though in retrospect I'm surprised they let us bring it in since it was on a rusty sharp metal rod.  Anyways, the night before my next door neighbors came over after bar close, they were wasted and had stolen the flag off of an apartment building and were waving it around in a patriotic fervor.  The next morning we got up for the game and started drinking early and ran all the way down to the BC in the freezing cold waving the flag.  We managed to get into the front row of the student section and waved the flag regularly.  When the game was over we all rushed the court, and I brought the flag on.  Soon everyone was on the court, and someone next to me was sitting on his friend's shoulders, and asked for the flag.  I handed it up to him and eventually he made it into the (to me) famous shot of D. Wade in the crowd next to the flag.  After that I'm not sure where it went, but it ended up in so many photos of the game, and I think it really makes the pictures seem timeless.

That was an awesome story!

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2011, 04:22:24 PM »

Yes indeed sir.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2011, 04:24:12 PM »
That was an awesome story!

Thanks, between that game, the UW game in 02-03 where we smoked them, and running down to the lakefront after beating UK to advance to the final four, I have a lot of great MU bball memories.  Now that I think about it though, I'm starting to have doubts about what year the UC game was (getting old I guess!). I could've sworn it was right after 9/11 but in checking the wiki I see we beat them in 2003 to win CUSA at the end of the year.  In 2002 I believe they were ranked #1 at the time which would've been our reason for storming the court.  If I had to bet I'd still bet on '02 but not super confidently.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2011, 04:43:42 PM »
Thanks, between that game, the UW game in 02-03 where we smoked them, and running down to the lakefront after beating UK to advance to the final four, I have a lot of great MU bball memories.  Now that I think about it though, I'm starting to have doubts about what year the UC game was (getting old I guess!). I could've sworn it was right after 9/11 but in checking the wiki I see we beat them in 2003 to win CUSA at the end of the year.  In 2002 I believe they were ranked #1 at the time which would've been our reason for storming the court.  If I had to bet I'd still bet on '02 but not super confidently.

Even MU Athletic is confused. They have the photo filed under 2001-02 but the caption as saying it was to clinch the 2003 Conference USA Title. http://marquetteimages.com/viewphoto.php?&albumId=136486&imageId=4859815&page=1&imagepos=3

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2011, 05:20:38 PM »
Like I said man: good luck. The barricade/security policy was implemented after every single storming of the court that this thread has referenced. Prior to the CUSA championship there was little, if any, attempt to prevent going onto the court. In the years since then it has become considerably more difficult to do so. Just because it happened in the past doesn't mean it absolutely will happen in the future.

It has always been extremely difficult at the BC, it didn't start in 2003.  Back in the mid-90's they had the barricades and a small army of the blue blazers that would come out in a show of force to beat back any attempted storming.  There were some failed attempts.  The configuration of the student section makes it extremely difficult, since there are very few access points to the floor.  Besides the few people in the 100 section, the rest of the student section funnels into only one aisle that can access the floor, so it's easy for security to deny access.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2011, 06:47:58 PM »
Like I said, not really a storming, per se, but I and other were on the court and we were not supposed to be and we left the court without being escorted (or arrested). In that sense, it was a storming.

And to storm the court it doesn't have to be after a shot goes in as time expires. A big win is a big win no matter how it ends.

True, but my point with that comment is that it was the shot and foul that would have created the storming.  Not beating Louisville.  After Diener had the phantom 5th foul, if Mason's shot were at the buzzer, I could understand fans taking the court.  Louisville was good, but that was the year after making the Final 4 and a victory over Louisville itself would not be worthy of storming the court (IMHO).

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2011, 09:11:42 PM »
It has always been extremely difficult at the BC, it didn't start in 2003.  Back in the mid-90's they had the barricades and a small army of the blue blazers that would come out in a show of force to beat back any attempted storming.  There were some failed attempts.  The configuration of the student section makes it extremely difficult, since there are very few access points to the floor.  Besides the few people in the 100 section, the rest of the student section funnels into only one aisle that can access the floor, so it's easy for security to deny access.

I worked with one of the security guards during my part time job at Pick N' Save when I was in school. I asked him about storming the court and he basically said that if all the students started coming, they are not going to stop you. None of the security guards want to get trampled. They just put up the barriers as a deterrent, and apparently it has worked pretty well given all of the comments here.

Basically, just get everybody unified and no one is going to stop you.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2011, 10:04:09 PM »
What we need is for the alumni to instigate the court rush.  While security is focused on the student section maybe have the jumping guy and freeway and various other "grown ups" rush the court and create a diversion allowing the students to make their move.

feedback