[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Huggins to WVU  (Read 5189 times)

Warrior Forever

• Starter
Huggins to WVU
« on: April 05, 2007, 02:15:40 PM »

West Virginia sources are reporting that Huggins is returning to coach his alma mater.

It'll be good to see Big Bob storming and swearing up and down the sidelines.

What happens now to his top-rated recruiting class at Kansas St?

Go Warriors.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: Huggins to WVU
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 02:18:42 PM »
Oh how I hope this is true. Not only will he actually be an upgrade at WVU (with all respect due belien who I liked), but it will be kinda fun to watch him shove it up UC's #$$ every year.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 02:19:56 PM »
West Virginian Sources are about as reputable as a Morgantown meth lab.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 02:31:06 PM »
Its all over the place now. Press Conference tomorrow. Done deal.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 02:38:03 PM »
Its interesting how his year at K-state played out.  He raised the profile year - they were actually on TV, and had a great recruiting class and even considered a top 15 team entering next year.  After that year though, he jumps ship which is probably leaving many at K-state to feel misled/screwed.  The truth is that the only people who got screwed are the players who committed to go there and now have no coach.  I'm not blaming Huggins for going back to WVU. its just interesting how the system has played out.  I expect to read articles the next few days on how the transfer rules work against players while coaches can seemingly do what they wish.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 02:40:02 PM »
I expect to read articles the next few days on how the transfer rules work against players while coaches can seemingly do what they wish.

Which is a problem that needs to somehow be addressed.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 02:45:32 PM »
I still haven't seen anything. I guess we can count on more then just couches burning in Morgantown. Probably fellow students, cars, Drugs. They will all now be brought to Morgantown by Huggin's Recruits
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 02:47:51 PM »

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 02:48:01 PM »
We get to beat up on UC and Huggins separately? I can't wait! Welcome back, Huggy Bear.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 02:52:47 PM »
Its interesting how his year at K-state played out.  He raised the profile year - they were actually on TV, and had a great recruiting class and even considered a top 15 team entering next year.  After that year though, he jumps ship which is probably leaving many at K-state to feel misled/screwed.  The truth is that the only people who got screwed are the players who committed to go there and now have no coach.  I'm not blaming Huggins for going back to WVU. its just interesting how the system has played out.  I expect to read articles the next few days on how the transfer rules work against players while coaches can seemingly do what they wish.

Anyone at K-State who thought Huggins was there for the rest of his career had to be in some alternate reality.  

I think both sides knew well that they were simply using each other---Huggins gets to rehabilitate his image before making a play for a bigger program, and K-State gets some basketball respectibility and out of the Big 12 cellar.

As for the players, keep in mind that they LOIs they signed guarntee that they'll get a scholarship next year--yeah it sucks for Beasley that he might not get to play for the guy who recruited him.  But for a lesser player it means the new guy can't clean house.  They may not get their scholarship renewed, but they know exactly where they'll be in the fall, and nobody can take their first-year scholarship away.

If the prime recruits were really concerned, they don't have to sign the LOI--that gives them the right to change schools for any reason they want.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 03:08:29 PM »

Anyone at K-State who thought Huggins was there for the rest of his career had to be in some alternate reality.  

I think both sides knew well that they were simply using each other---Huggins gets to rehabilitate his image before making a play for a bigger program, and K-State gets some basketball respectibility and out of the Big 12 cellar.

As for the players, keep in mind that they LOIs they signed guarntee that they'll get a scholarship next year--yeah it sucks for Beasley that he might not get to play for the guy who recruited him.  But for a lesser player it means the new guy can't clean house.  They may not get their scholarship renewed, but they know exactly where they'll be in the fall, and nobody can take their first-year scholarship away.

If the prime recruits were really concerned, they don't have to sign the LOI--that gives them the right to change schools for any reason they want.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10108684

Gary Parrish seems to think Beasley will ask to be released from his committment and allowed to re-open his recruitment.  It's not an uncommon thing after a coach leaves, like Scottie Reynolds last year, to ask the school for a release after signing a LOI.  However, the school is much more likely to grant a release if they fired the coach, not if the coach abandoned the program.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 03:59:18 PM »
What a jag.
K-State stuck its neck out for the guy, knowing they would take a lot of heat bringing aboard a guy who was just forced out of his previous gig for all sorts of improprities ... and this is how he repays them?
You're a class act as always, Bob.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 05:06:30 PM »
And the "mildcats" shall remain....mild

I guess Nurse Nancy was the person that kept Huggy Bear out of the Big East.   ;)

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 08:47:36 AM »
on the one hand, i agree with pakuni...what a jag...

on the other hand it is nice to have so visible a target for my scorn back in the same league.  the closest thing to an object of scorn in the league has been pitino...and even THAT'S tough...but now, it just makes it so much easier.

unfortunately, the wva fans are some of the best in the league -- knowledgeable, reasonable (for the most part) and supportive after the game is over...  hopefully they will not take on the flavor of their new coach.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 08:54:07 AM »
I had a lot of respsct for WVU the last two years. In two years I expect to loath them with every fiber of my being.

mviale

• All American
Bad Boys, Bad Boys - what you gonna do
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 09:00:31 AM »
Moving to Morgantown
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 09:54:29 AM »
This worked out great for both programs - two deuschbags if ever there were deuschbags.

First, K-state and their pathetic little athletic dept. went and hired a coach in dire need of getting his name back into the "good" category. Throwing caution to the wind and hiring him, knowing that he's a tool, and a selfish crook, they hire him w/out even thinking about WVU, who offered him a job years ago and it's his alma mater. Now, they get a guy who came in for one year. They will lose all those recruits and they look like morons.

Second, you got Thuggy-bear. He comes off as a self absorbed pile of dung in most people's eyes. Sadly, too, he'll get the players he recruited to follow him. It's not like any of them were going to go to class anyway so whether their in the plains of Kansas or the mountains of WVU, they'll play ball.

Lastly, I don't see him as a step up over Beilein. They are about even. Beilein showed he could win, had a good thing going, and was a respected, likable guy. WVU now gets a total deuschbag. A decent coach, but a deuschbag nevertheless.

At least the Cinci/WVU games will now be very, very interesting and fun to watch.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2007, 10:09:30 AM »
Where's Katz with the Crean to KSU rumors?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 10:29:14 AM »
Where's Katz with the Crean to KSU rumors?

He's following up his lead on the Crean to Milwaukee Vincent rumor..