[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: For those of you with the "Grass is greener" with another coach  (Read 3905 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
Re: For those of you with the "Grass is greener" with another coach
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 12:58:42 PM »
64 ranked weeks vs. 24 huh? Well.....at least I could take my kid to games in the 80s and 90s and we liked the coach and he was personable.

Sincerely,

"random MU fans smoking crack that have actually used THIS as an example for getting rid of Crean"

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 01:21:21 PM »
Crean is not the greatest of game coaches, but he is a program builder. You can appreciate any person who is willing to take a program and build it. If he goes to Kentucky and wins it probably won't be enough because his name isn't Rick Pitino or Adolf Rupp. He has built respectability back to the program and he will be able to continue to improve the program if he stays. Anyone who thinks that it will be easy to find and keep another coach like him is lying to themselves.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 01:21:51 PM »
64 ranked weeks vs. 24 huh? Well.....at least I could take my kid to games in the 80s and 90s and we liked the coach and he was personable.

Sincerely,

"random MU fans smoking crack that have actually used THIS as an example for getting rid of Crean"

loved it!

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
    • The Truth
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 01:30:03 PM »
At least with Crean we get to watch Marquette play on television once in a while. I would go crazy if I Had to watch the real time scoring updates every game on ESPN.com
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 02:15:03 PM »
But remember, Crean is a jerk because he signed his book at the Spirit Shop in the AMU because he wanted to take the money of students, and this should get him fired.

Also, remember how many big-time candidates will surprise us by lining up for the Marquette job.  I hear that John Wooden cloned the 1973 version of himself and will coach Marquette.

The only people who think that Crean's departure would not seriously hurt the Marquette basketball program are the few nutjob McGuire-era alums who think that it is 1977 and Marquette is a top 3 elite program, and that we should expect, no demand, that the Marquette coach make runs in the NCAA every year.

Crean's not perfect, but losing him would be a very bad thing for the program, especially one without an AD.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 02:34:38 PM »
#1- Oz, please stop bad-mouthing anyone who was able to enjoy coach Al in person.  likely as not that person is helping to keep TC here.

#2- Those tv games, the BEast, hell-TC for that matter, all make me realize we're going to really miss Bill Cords.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
    • The Truth
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 02:37:37 PM »
I think Wade has more to do with the TV and Big East then Cords does.

~Al McGuire

~Robert Heinlein

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 02:57:09 PM »
I think Wade has more to do with the TV and Big East then Cords does.

I'm waiting for your argument that we should rename the basketball facility the George Thompson center, and we should be playing on Bo Ellis court.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 03:06:39 PM »
I'm not bad-mouthing everyone and anyone from the McGuire era.  I'm ripping on those who have had unrealisitic expectations based upon their experiences during the McGuire era, and also, there are some curmudgeon fans who don't understand how much college basketball is different in 2007 than in 1977.

People need to evaluate the Marquette program for what it is in 2007, not what it was in 1977.  Some MU fans continue to live in the past.

Those are the type of McGuire era fans who fail to realize how central Crean has been to restoring Marquette as a name program, and those are the type of fans who have an extremely over-inflated sense of Marquette basketball and feel that we will have big-time coaching candidates lining up across the country, or that Marquette has the resources or the donor support to attract such candidates and keep them at MU.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
    • The Truth
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 03:06:55 PM »
I never said that but giving Cords any credit for growing the basketball program is ridiculous. What about all the years prior to Crean showing up.

~Al McGuire

~Robert Heinlein

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 03:26:09 PM »
Game coach or not Crean can recruit.  Given the fact that we now have athletic teams taking the court should say something about how far we've come.  When I was at Marquette (During the Deane years and TC's first 2 years) It was horrible watching 5 guys standing around waiting for wardle to take an incredibly difficult shot.  If TC leaves we're really going to miss him and the types of players he brings to MU.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 04:07:51 PM »
Oz, you knocked it out of the park. Kudos.

I'm not bad-mouthing everyone and anyone from the McGuire era.  I'm ripping on those who have had unrealisitic expectations based upon their experiences during the McGuire era, and also, there are some curmudgeon fans who don't understand how much college basketball is different in 2007 than in 1977.

People need to evaluate the Marquette program for what it is in 2007, not what it was in 1977.  Some MU fans continue to live in the past.

Those are the type of McGuire era fans who fail to realize how central Crean has been to restoring Marquette as a name program, and those are the type of fans who have an extremely over-inflated sense of Marquette basketball and feel that we will have big-time coaching candidates lining up across the country, or that Marquette has the resources or the donor support to attract such candidates and keep them at MU.

Virginia Warrior 77

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 04:19:55 PM »
But remember, Crean is a jerk because he signed his book at the Spirit Shop in the AMU because he wanted to take the money of students, and this should get him fired.

Also, remember how many big-time candidates will surprise us by lining up for the Marquette job.  I hear that John Wooden cloned the 1973 version of himself and will coach Marquette.

The only people who think that Crean's departure would not seriously hurt the Marquette basketball program are the few nutjob McGuire-era alums who think that it is 1977 and Marquette is a top 3 elite program, and that we should expect, no demand, that the Marquette coach make runs in the NCAA every year.

Crean's not perfect, but losing him would be a very bad thing for the program, especially one without an AD.

This nutjob McGuire-era alum ( ;) hopes Crean stays.  IMO, he has brought the program as close as it will probably ever get to what it was under McGuire.